Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

ASHERAH DEMANDS I FEAST, I VOTE FOR A FEAST OF FLESH
Most unsuitable, most unsuitable indeed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Covski
Jun 24, 2007

Bringing the forums together with the greatest thread!
I gotta say, no matter what choices are made, I'll never not visualise our character as Mister Carson.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Must pack for a trip.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

JamMasterJim posted:

We will need to pack and make the arrangements for the trip at once.
A butler must plan ahead.

This

VivaLa Eeveelution
Apr 3, 2011

Do not ask me to explain how such an invisible, such an insurmountable distance only grows between Rory and I, and I can only assume not for him at all. How his engagement to Frankincense affects me is as irrelevant as it is mysteriously, wistfully painful.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Must pack for a trip.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Unsuitable!

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

You begin to consider what would be the most appropriate clothes for a trip. Mentally, you begin sorting Rory's clothes in "take," "possibly take," and "don't take," and considering what sort of valises you will need.

While Rory has some serious affairs of the heart to sort out, there would be no possible way to solve these problems without the proper selection of clothes for all possible exigencies.

"In my opinion," says Aunt Primrose. "You've done the family proud. Whereas your cousin Mopsie attempts to ally herself with a starving artist, you have found yourself affianced to a Cygnet-Signet, a family whom I understand has untold wealth and prosperity. Although I am a touch miffed that you neglected to inform me or ask my advice. Butler, you used to work for the Cygnet-Signets before coming to work for Rory, didn't you? What did you make of Frankincense?"

"Frankincense and I had a reasonably pleasant relationship with each other."
Frankincense and I had a torrid and passionate affair, but I cannot say that.
"I was not among Frankincense's many admirers, let us say."
What they do not know is that Frankincense and I had fallen deeply in love with one another, but I cannot say that.
But I was still reeling from the news of Rory's engagement, and could not respond.

Most current stats posted:

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Bold: 54%
Culture: 25%
Intellect: 37% (+6%)
Observe: 32% (-3%)
Persuade: 36%
Skulduggery: 19%
Soothing/Abrasive: 37%/63%

Your Reputation
Renown: 9%
Tranquility: 16%
Suspicion: 10%

Rory: 40%
Frankincense: 30%
Aunt Primrose: 21%

Ready Monies: 25

Pangurban fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Jan 9, 2018

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Why, our love was torrid and passionate

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Frankincense and I had a torrid and passionate affair, but I cannot say that.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

affair for maximum awkward

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I get my fun here. Enjoy!
Torrid passionate affair! She’s great in bed, Rory. Congratulations again.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Extremely torrid.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Torrid

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Affair, sure why not.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Torrid affair

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

Hope no one minds if I call this one early, but we seem to be pretty well decided here.

quote:

"Miss Cygnet-Signet and I...we had a close working relationship," you say.

But even as you utter the mild statement, your memory is filled with thoughts that you are forced to push away here. You try very hard not to think about the ivy-strewn gazebo. It was a frosty winter twilight, but you and Frankincense were warm in each other's embrace, and the forbidden...

"You seem rather pensive at the mention of Frankincense!" Aunt Primrose cries. "I can see that I will need to judge her for myself, as you are little to no help."

Aunt Primrose stands at last and smooths her skirt briskly. "So, it's settled then. You'll come for a nice visit and Butler will help me figure out how to keep Mopsie away from her beau, and then I can be the judge of whether Frankincense and you are a match that meets my approval. Then, for a special treat, if you please me, which I have no doubt you will, you can come into the village and watch the home team win dozens of blue ribbons at the Harvest Festival."

"No, no, no, I..."

"Now, what was it you wanted to ask me about the horse, Surefire, in the third race, if I remember rightly?"

"I simply wondered..."

Let Rory finish.
Smoothly break in and make the request for a loan on Rory's behalf.
Offer Aunt Primrose a respectful compliment before Rory asks for money in order to smooth his path.

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Intellect: 37%
Observe: 32%

Your Reputation
Tranquility: 16%

Rory: 40%
Frankincense: 44% (+14%)

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

If there is one thing, it is that we are very smooth

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

Compliment

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

Let him finish. I'm not so sure Primrose appreciates butting in.

sullat
Jan 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

Let him finish. I'm not so sure Primrose appreciates butting in.

That hasn't stopped us yet? Compliment

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Compliment.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
Let Rory finish. I doubt anything we could do will help.

Maugrim
Feb 16, 2011

I eat your face
It's no longer about helping, it's about staying true to our well-meaning and obliviously-inept-in-all-matters-save-fighting-and-alcohol character. We should butt in with a clumsy non-sequitur of a compliment.

rchandra
Apr 30, 2013

Let Rory finish

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

we are a fighter, we have nothing to say, please finish

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Break in

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Pangurban posted:

I hope no one's getting too discouraged, here. Actually figuring out the right combination of choices to make dinner not a fiasco is pretty tricky - I suspect that's why it was included both first and as the main bulk of the demo, to give people a way to play around with it easily and see the different possible results. So this is about as well as things went for me the first time I played through - possibly better, even, since in my first playthrough, Rory tried to cook dinner themselves.

The major trick is figuring out how to play to your particular skillset. The dinner itself is fairly simple since there are only a handful of decision points and all of them have some viability if you pick ones that work with what you have, though the details on that depend on what Pangurban wants to do.

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

I'm trying to avoid very extensive talk of mechanics and alternative possibilities, unless people would rather I talk as we go. It's not like I know everything as it is - I can make some educated guesses about how the stats tie in, but I've only done a few complete runs and I still know for a fact that there are things and romances I've missed (partly because I'm a weenie who inevitably tends to gravitate towards certain "safe" options).

I'll definitely be doing a second playthrough if folks want. From there I'd offer more of what I know and understand of the plot and the inner guts of the game, where others can chime in, too.

For this playthrough, I haven't really settled on a spoiler policy. Ideally, if you guys want to talk shop, I'd prefer you do so only for plot points we've already passed, and do so in spoiler tags. Additionally, please avoid going too much into plot branches we might have missed. There are points where we can go to one place or another - those who've played the game will know what I mean - and please avoid talking about the checks and stats involved for those alternative branches if we don't go that route. I want anyone who chooses to remain unspoiled to be able to do so, and I want some surprises left over for our second playthrough if folks want a second playthrough. Make sense?

I am really, genuinely enjoying the character we're developing, and I don't want to ruin that with overly public metagaming. Private metagaming, though, go nuts.

But, for example, if you want to talk about the fact that we did have the stats to make the dinner go a bit better, that'd be fine.

In the meantime, now's as good a time as any to mention that we are currently tied between letting Rory finish and offering a compliment. Next new or changed vote takes it.

Slaan
Mar 16, 2009

Switching to Let him finish

Pangurban
Apr 29, 2015

quote:

"...if you could see it clear ot loan me...that is...if possible, a bit of the readies to pay the piper, and tide me over until next month," Rory says. "I'd be ever so grateful."

"So it's like that, is it? I thought as much." She shakes her head at Rory. "Without so much as giving a thought to my ease and entertainment for the evening, you conclude the dismal visit with an appeal to my pocketbook."

"Not...exactly," Rory says.

"Yes, exactly," Aunt Primrose says with fervor. "This is the thanks I get for dandling you on my knee, and cleaning you up after learning that mashed peas do not agree with you. You ruined my lavender gown, but did I forward you a bill? I did not. And here you stand, demanding of me?"

"I beg of you," Rory says.

"Oh, do you? Well, go on."

"I swear that Butler and I will attend you at your estate and do absolutely everything you ask of us. WE'll sort out the whole Mopsie and Figs situation, and I'll parade around in front of you with Frankincense, and just everything you can think of."

"Will you come with Auntie when we go a-hunting and lend a hand at the village Harvest Festival?"

"All that and more."

"Hmph," she says. "You are lucky that I have a soft heart. I will pay off your ill-gotten bills if - and I do mean if - you do as you say. Which I find most unlikely."

Seeing no other option, Rory quickly agrees, although ou can tell that he is most dissatisfied with this outcome.

quote:

"I will see you tomorrow," she says. "And may I remind you that I will be celebrating my birthday. I will have several respectable guests there, and you may wish to put more thought into the gift you bring than the one you offered last year."

And with that, Aunt Primrose departs, waving over her shoulder. Rory waves and closes the door firmly after her.

There is a moment of silence, and you turn to see Rory looking at you with a quizzical expression on his face.

"I had forgotten that you had worked for Frankincense's family," he says. "Sorry I didn't mention all this before."

You flush a bit and try to gauge Rory's expression, but it is inscrutable.

"I suppose it would all be just one big happy family if this whole marriage thing works out. That will be pleasant for you, I suppose. Since you two were close."

"Not so close as all that, sir."
"Oh, that will be pleasant, as you say."
"Yes, we were close. Close indeed."

Reginald Butler

Your Sundry Skills
Intellect: 37%
Observe: 32%

Your Reputation
Tranquility: 15% (-1%)

Rory: 36% (-4%)
Frankincense: 44%

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

"Yes, we were close. Close indeed."

Rory is our friend. We shouldn't lie to him.

Also, I think I'd prefer to steer clear of mechanics discussions and anything spoiler-related for this first run. I'm enjoying going into it blind.

achtungnight
Oct 5, 2014
I'm enjoying a blind run too. I saw this game's description and decided to pass, now I'm thinking maybe I was wrong. Learning a lot of mistakes I made during my own CYOA LP attempts too. And you're doing well, Pangurban.

As you say, sir. Let's not give him too many hints to how close we were with his new bride.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

We're supposed to be bold. We were close.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

All those years ago we told him we were blunt. close indeed

LightWarden
Mar 18, 2007

Lander county's safe as heaven,
despite all the strife and boilin',
Tin Star,
Oh how she's an icon of the eastern west,
But now the time has come to end our song,
of the Tin Star, the Tin Star!

Pangurban posted:

For this playthrough, I haven't really settled on a spoiler policy. Ideally, if you guys want to talk shop, I'd prefer you do so only for plot points we've already passed, and do so in spoiler tags. Additionally, please avoid going too much into plot branches we might have missed. There are points where we can go to one place or another - those who've played the game will know what I mean - and please avoid talking about the checks and stats involved for those alternative branches if we don't go that route. I want anyone who chooses to remain unspoiled to be able to do so, and I want some surprises left over for our second playthrough if folks want a second playthrough. Make sense?

I am really, genuinely enjoying the character we're developing, and I don't want to ruin that with overly public metagaming. Private metagaming, though, go nuts.

But, for example, if you want to talk about the fact that we did have the stats to make the dinner go a bit better, that'd be fine.

More or less what I figured.

We basically managed to pick the worst possible options that used skills we weren't good at. We could have aced the book conversation as well as dinner had we just chosen something else.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Extremely close. :heysexy:

Parenthesis
Jan 3, 2013
Close indeed.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Close indeed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

LightWarden posted:

More or less what I figured.

We basically managed to pick the worst possible options that used skills we weren't good at. We could have aced the book conversation as well as dinner had we just chosen something else.

i don't know anything about this game but i think its funnier if we fail

• Locked thread