Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
timn
Mar 16, 2010

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

Oh hey, be careful with your modules when you dock at those rescue ships! Just logged in for the first time since last week to find they had moved the one I was in, and all of the modules I had swapped for passenger cabins were in some nethersphere. Luckily I could transfer them to another station with outfitting/shipyard services, but if you hate waiting and paying for those, make sure and grab them before they move those ships.

I was in a similar situation and feared the worst, but I found that they moved not just my ship but also the stored modules to the station which is now under repair. If they missed anybody then Frontier support would surely fix it for you.

Blind Rasputin posted:

What are some good options for the 4 slot heavy weapon in the anaconda? I’ve been using a cannon but it seems boring. I’d like something I can use on anything, and use a lot. Which lasers work best there? Maybe PSlama cannons or PACs?

Anything goes, but imo projectile weapons are frustrating to use in underbelly hardpoints. Gimbals can't aim up past your own hull, and leading your target to aim frequently puts your other hardpoints out of line of sight.

timn fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nostalgia4Infinity
Feb 27, 2007

10,000 YEARS WASN'T ENOUGH LURKING

Blind Rasputin posted:

What are some good options for the 4 slot heavy weapon in the anaconda? I’ve been using a cannon but it seems boring. I’d like something I can use on anything, and use a lot. Which lasers work best there? Maybe PSlama cannons or PACs?

C4 Multi is my personal favorite but really anything would go "well" there.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

:ffg:
EAT THE DONUTS
I thought grinding Sirius Corps rep was the hard part of unlocking Marco Qwent. Never have I been so wrong.

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf
lmao that's a new one. Never heard someone say "learning how to dogfight is tedious and boring". To me combat is one of the most dynamic and rewarding parts of the game.

Managing all 6 axis and all the other bits and pieces of your ship becomes a LOT easier when you switch to a HOTAS setup. You can pick up a decent one for 50 bucks. Good ones go for 100+

As for picking fights rank is important, as well as loadout. Take a look at what your prospective victim is packing on their ship. You can see a breakdown of all their modules in the left-hand menu's subtargets tab. And remember: Elite is a skill-based game. Yeah your ship fitting does matter, but skill overcomes a lot. Especially in PVE, since the AI will never be as crafty or unpredictable as a human.

For C4 weapons, an efficient 5 fixed beam laser is a great option. Barely uses any power plant capacity, sips WEP capacitor, and packs a brutal punch. C4 Multis are also a good choice, no spinup time like the other MCs, but lower rate of fire. More like a quad-cannon than a rotary. PAC is another good choice as well.

Kurr de la Cruz fucked around with this message at 19:56 on Jan 10, 2018

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Truth Quark posted:

I thought grinding Sirius Corps rep was the hard part of unlocking Marco Qwent. Never have I been so wrong.

1. You could have just sold them a big lot of exploration data. It's the easiest way to get faction rep.

2. Do multiple things at the same time. So, why not run powerplay for some special PP module you want while you also run missions? That, or look up the East India Trading Company. They will trade MT for expensive ores, so you can knock out Marco and Selene at the same time. Don't miss the forest for the trees. That seems to be the #1 mistake that I see out of salty commanders.

Truth Quark
Mar 21, 2010

EAT THE DONUTS

osirisisdead posted:

1. You could have just sold them a big lot of exploration data. It's the easiest way to get faction rep.

2. Do multiple things at the same time. So, why not run powerplay for some special PP module you want while you also run missions? That, or look up the East India Trading Company. They will trade MT for expensive ores, so you can knock out Marco and Selene at the same time. Don't miss the forest for the trees. That seems to be the #1 mistake that I see out of salty commanders.

I already did the grind (its super easy at Sothis/Ceos), but I re-rolled mission boards for a few hours and didn't get any modular terminals. EIC sounds like a super easy way to do it though!

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

androo posted:

Or I'd at least like to get in on the next EVE Online when it first starts up, because I can start to make educated guesses about player behavior and incentives.

I'd like to be immortal, too

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Kurr de la Cruz posted:

lmao that's a new one. Never heard someone say "learning how to dogfight is tedious and boring". To me combat is one of the most dynamic and rewarding parts of the game.

I guess I should explain myself better.

Instead of just turning my ship and shooting a guy, I have to learn to smash a boost key, twiddle thruster keys, and flip pips back and forth repeatedly on a keyboard. On its face, it doesn't sound like a skill. It sounds like a series of quick time events.

I could very well be wrong, but in order to find out, I first have to learn to twiddle a bunch of keys in combat. That road to finding out if combat is fun sounds tedious and boring.

(And all the key-twiddling in the world might not help as much as grinding a bunch of money for the right ship and the right parts and then grind a bunch of special engineering money to make the parts better.)

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Truth Quark posted:

I already did the grind (its super easy at Sothis/Ceos), but I re-rolled mission boards for a few hours and didn't get any modular terminals. EIC sounds like a super easy way to do it though!

It's more FYI for any other permit/faction locked things that you want to get on later.

timn
Mar 16, 2010

doctorfrog posted:

Instead of just turning my ship and shooting a guy, I have to learn to smash a boost key, twiddle thruster keys, and flip pips back and forth repeatedly on a keyboard. On its face, it doesn't sound like a skill. It sounds like a series of quick time events.

I could very well be wrong, but in order to find out, I first have to learn to twiddle a bunch of keys in combat. That road to finding out if combat is fun sounds tedious and boring.

(And all the key-twiddling in the world might not help as much as grinding a bunch of money for the right ship and the right parts and then grind a bunch of special engineering money to make the parts better.)

Are you really that concerned about an action game having more controls than just move + shoot?

Kurr de la Cruz
May 21, 2007

Put the boots to him, medium style.

Hair Elf

doctorfrog posted:

Hate to disappoint you man, but I think maybe combat isn't for you. A flight sim is totally just a series of QTEs, right? Do you hate driving and resent your car because you have to like push a couple of pedals and turn a wheel and work a few levers? All the engineering in the world isn't going to make you a better pilot, sad to say. You don't need an ubership to be good at dogfighting.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Truth Quark posted:

Modular Terminals are really easy to get if you go out to the damaged stations to cattle cart passengers. There are no VIPs and they are all going to the same rescue ship.

Just make sure to bring a heat sink launcher.

As a bonus it's also a great source of some of the rarer mission materials

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
I don't think video games are for him to be honest. They're all just a series of QTE when you boil it down.

Life is just one big series of QTE, then you die.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Sweet jesus guys I just said learning to git gud at combat sounds like a drag.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

doctorfrog posted:

Well it... isn't. That's really all you can say in response :v:

You don't have to be a pro starcrafter where every moment your fingers aren't flying over the keyboard means you're losing. The detailed descriptions you were given scale up to taking on a top-of-the-line ship with a glass cannon; if you don't do that it's not nearly as hard or complicated as it sounds at first. If you have him in your crosshairs, pips to weapons and fire away. If you don't, pips to engines and swing around with boost until you do. If he's doing too much damage to you, pips to shields and engage FSD. By the time you outgrow those basics you shouldn't need our detailed guides any more.

haveblue fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Jan 10, 2018

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
I love Star Citizen, and all it's craziness
GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA, GOONDEYADA
College Slice

haveblue posted:

Well it... isn't. That's really all you can say in response :v:

You don't have to be a pro starcrafter where every moment your fingers aren't flying over the keyboard means you're losing. The detailed descriptions you were given scale up to taking on a top-of-the-line ship with a glass cannon; if you don't do that it's not nearly as hard or complicated as it sounds at first. If you have him in your crosshairs, pips to weapons and fire away. If you don't, pips to engines and swing around with boost until you do. If he's doing too much damage to you, pips to shields and engage FSD. By the time you outgrow those basics you shouldn't need our detailed guides any more.

I'm perfectly happy with my 40-60 AMP that finds brutal comps to be a decent challenge in 2v2-4. I'm not Korean after all.

Since it is apparently a thing you can do. I might consider actually working my way into a conda, or corvette, if I can leave an AI in the ship and fly fighters. That is still the most fun I've had in this game.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Yeah combat's not that hard. I use a stock vulture with KB/M and it's rare I even have to so much as FA off thanks to how agile the murderbird is. And I can wreck anything in a HazRes that isn't in a wing and even certain wing configurations.

Hell not too long ago us frogs did a fight night using stock ships and I did pretty good in that even against guys I know for a fact are better pilots than I.

Really in a ship as nimble as the vulture just getting used to strafing a lot is pretty easy and goes a looooooong way, especially when punching up against sloboats like the conda.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Jan 11, 2018

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal
Well, just to cross it off the list, I'm heading to Hutton at the moment.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
I went out there pretty early on in my career because I was exploring all of the systems around Sol on a whim. I googled "Hutton Orbital" to see if it wasn't just some kind of joke and if there was a way to hyperjump over there, and found the HOT webpage on my first (entirely purposeless apart from wtf is this for real?) trip out there. I really like the Hutton Truckers. They're good people. Actually, I credit them for my love of the Elite community.

These days it's actually a lucrative run to make after they added multipliers for supercruise distance to the mission reward functions.

Sammich
Sep 30, 2012

I mean, what else am I gonna do? I sit up here and I read the labels. Light goes on... Light goes off... That's pretty much my day.

CornHolio posted:

Well, just to cross it off the list, I'm spending two hours in supercruise for no reason

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

doctorfrog posted:

You need to find your personal sweet spot. As much as Elite gets poo poo it's really good at enabling pretty much anyone to find their own gaming nirvana and having the capability to cater to it for you.
Say, you like combat but gently caress all the twiddling, well, imo you need to find a ship that is brutal and simple - a Vulture. The solutions are out there for you, you just gotta find em.
My advice would be just dick around and enjoy the flight model and sights until something grabs your interest, then go do that.
Elite is not about 'gittin gud' to me, it's about panning for gold in a river of misery until you see a small glimmer of a nugget of fun times and then running with that until it gets patched out

48 Hour Boner
May 26, 2005

I think something's wrong with this thing

Hey, who doesn't want a free Anaconda?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
People going crazy over combat snobbery when all you need is a decently fit python to do just about any pve you want. Same with every other mission and thing in the game really unless you want full specialization.

Also n'thing that the vulture is crazy fun for shenanigans.

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

doctorfrog posted:

What in God's name are you even going on about? Is this your first video game in 30 years? Are you the forum Dad?

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Rynoto posted:

People going crazy over combat snobbery when all you need is a decently fit python to do just about any pve you want. Same with every other mission and thing in the game really unless you want full specialization.

The vulture is also just a straight up murder machine. It packs large hard points and can punch waaaay above its weight. Plus it's nimble as gently caress and even reasonably cheap. I'll take a vulture over a python for pve any day.

CornHolio
May 20, 2001

Toilet Rascal

I mean, I was doing laundry during the trip, so it wasn't like I was just sitting there staring at it.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Speak for yourself.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

peter gabriel posted:

My advice would be just dick around and enjoy the flight model and sights until something grabs your interest, then go do that.
Elite is not about 'gittin gud' to me, it's about panning for gold in a river of misery until you see a small glimmer of a nugget of fun times and then running with that until it gets patched out
Yeah that'd be more useful than bitching about something I haven't really gotten into yet. Thanks.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rynoto posted:

Python with 4 efficient beam turrets was PvEasy mode. It was funny, but not really fun, imo.

You can start getting good at maneuvering by going to nav beacons and just flying around ships. Target them, but don't even shoot, just keep them in your crosshairs while trying to fly circles around them. It may seem like lame wax-on wax-off poo poo, but it will help you learn that one thing so that you don't even need to think about it when you get in a real fight.

I'd also recommend learning in something small with a rebuy you'd never miss. My biggest PvP ship is a Viper Mk3.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

lol the nav beacon is a terrible place to bounty hunt in the beginning. Dogpile crimnals that the cops are shooting in HiRes

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
Much like I was suggesting people should practice maneuvering without opening fire at nav beacons, you should practice reading posts correctly before responding to them.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

osirisisdead posted:

Python with 4 efficient beam turrets was PvEasy mode. It was funny, but not really fun, imo.

This is my goal with my current python. I just need to actually bother with engineering crap.

I might do a FAS, since its a super vulture, if I don't just outright do a vulture. But I need to get back into the game first off.

Cyberpunkey Monkey
Jun 23, 2003

by Nyc_Tattoo
You may want to wait to jump back in until after the Q1 patch comes down the pipe. I think it's going to change up engineering quite a bit.

ickna
May 19, 2004

Been working on unlocking some engineers tonight, and I’m up to the chick who wants 50 of those rare cigars...and the only system you can get them at is in lockdown right now.

lemonadesweetheart
May 27, 2010

ickna posted:

Been working on unlocking some engineers tonight, and I’m up to the chick who wants 50 of those rare cigars...and the only system you can get them at is in lockdown right now.

It might reset today if that's any consolation. I'm still not 100% on how those state transitions work.

Hobold
Jan 10, 2012

I love my Cutlass
I love big stompy mechs
I love my HOTAS
I love to salvage wrecks
College Slice

osirisisdead posted:

You may want to wait to jump back in until after the Q1 patch comes down the pipe. I think it's going to change up engineering quite a bit.

Thats what i'm doing now for engineering.

Just can't really find a reason to log in and shoot things or run data missions either.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

It's a video game, play it if you think you're going to have fun.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
It'd be cool if the fun bits of the game lined up with the efficient progression bits, though.

SnoochtotheNooch
Sep 22, 2012

This is what you get. For falling in Love
It’s highly likely that I’m just a retard, but does the kill warrant scanner cut off additional bounties? What I mean is that I’ve been going to a RES in an eagle and just getting a few dings on poo poo before it dies. Got roughly a mil from that and read somewhere a KWS would increase the bounty of my targets so I put one on. I used it and got like 200k on one ship and then the next thing I peck at I got nothing. And then the next time I got nothing. Is this intentional or a bug?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal

peter gabriel posted:

You need to find your personal sweet spot. As much as Elite gets poo poo it's really good at enabling pretty much anyone to find their own gaming nirvana and having the capability to cater to it for you.
Say, you like combat but gently caress all the twiddling, well, imo you need to find a ship that is brutal and simple - a Vulture. The solutions are out there for you, you just gotta find em.

This is solid advice.

There are a lot of things I enjoy doing in Elite, but very few that I enjoy doing repeatedly or for long stretches of time. I love mining, for example, but after a full load or three I'm done with that for a while. Fortunately, it's easy to switch ships and go on a few search and rescue missions, or spacetruck some freight, or clear some pirates from a hazres, or join some mercs as they tip the balance of a civil war. The game lets me shake things up enough that it always feels fresh.

(Of course much less of this applies when you're on a Sag-A expedition like I currently am.)

• Locked thread