Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
uh oh pancho!
Sep 3, 2004

THE MARATHON WAS COMPLETED SUCCESSFULLY

CLEAR TIME SGDQ18

FriskyBoat posted:

Yeah, but outside of Odyssey no one else is gonna agree with me for top 3

just as long as smw is #1 you're good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

uh oh pancho! posted:

just as long as smw is #1 you're good

SMRPG then Paper TTD.

SMW is 5 tho

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
yamayuu and poahr seem like nice fellows. it's their first time in america! :3:

and calco is from chile! woohoo international representation

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Pakled posted:

Sunshine is one of the few games where I think the 100% run is more interesting than the any% run.

Ocarina. Any % of Ocarina has been optimized to the point of trash, while 100% shows off the whole game with tons of tricks.

Also Mario 64. 0 Star is just useless while 120 is perfection.

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
Sunshine is a good game. Don't @ me

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Hellioning posted:

I unironically wish GDQ was just a whole bunch of 3+ hour 100% speedruns, so I'm very much hype for Sunshine.

Did you see the really really long athon?

Cory in the Blouse
Oct 22, 2010

SAMUS ARAN
OUR ONLY HOPE!
ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʏʟᴇ
ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pakled posted:

Sunshine is one of the few games where I think the 100% run is more interesting than the any% run.

Shadows of the Empire is more interesting in 100% I think.

Also Majora's Mask

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

axeil posted:

yamayuu and poahr seem like nice fellows. it's their first time in america! :3:

and calco is from chile! woohoo international representation

I think it's really cool that this event is drawing people from wider and wider area

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Cory in the Blouse posted:

ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʏʟᴇ
ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FriskyBoat posted:

SMRPG then Paper TTD.

SMW is 5 tho

So what's number 3?

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ocarina. Any % of Ocarina has been optimized to the point of trash, while 100% shows off the whole game with tons of tricks.

I like OOT any% cause it seems like every time I decide to pay attention to it, there's a new trick that shaves off like 30 seconds. But I only really pay attention like, twice a year

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

Ocarina I dont have strong opinions on cause I dont follow Zelda speedrunning much.
Mario 64 yeah totally, I agree.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Wind Waker HD any % has been ruined due to the discovery of an absurdly difficult trick based on batshit insane RNG that occurs at the very end of an hour and a half run.

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky

FriskyBoat posted:

Alright, time for the fourth best Mario game!

sir this is a mcdonald's drive thru

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʏʟᴇ
ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ

this kong makes me welcome death’s embrace!

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʏʟᴇ
ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I'm listening to this tonight between runs, thought I'd share cause I saw a neat Launchpad vid linked a bunch of pages back catching up on posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyU_7JaZUEI

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
I can understand people not liking Sunshine, but belly sliding on water for massive speed is one of the funnest things you can do in the entire Mario series.

get that OUT of my face posted:

was it remixed like the main theme in Yoshi's Story, or was it just the same song over and over?

Yeah, it did, and it's hard to explain why it's so much more grating to me. It might just be as simple as I like the main Yoshi's Story melody but the one in YNI got on my nerves immediately and then that same melody is used in just about every single non-fort/castle level.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʏʟᴇ
ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ

He sure does have
A lot of face

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011

Ramos posted:

So what's number 3?

Odyssey, my friend

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Regy Rusty posted:

I think it's really cool that this event is drawing people from wider and wider area

i heard it's tough for international folks to get the visas as it's technically not tourism but also not business and us customs doesn't really recognize speedrunning as a "performance" like a concert or play.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

FriskyBoat posted:

Odyssey, my friend

*Nods knowingly*

Yes, good order.

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I am watching the Dragon Warrior VOD. I'm 2 minutes in, and my jaw is already on the floor. This guy is a wizard.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

How was the Turok 2 run?

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

SoftNum posted:

Did you see the really really long athon?

I did not even know it was a thing.

Thank you for sharing this wonderful thing with me.

EDIT: Oh god I forgot what Baten Kaitos 100% entails this is gonna be such a disaster I love it.

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR

FriskyBoat posted:

I like OOT any% cause it seems like every time I decide to pay attention to it, there's a new trick that shaves off like 30 seconds. But I only really pay attention like, twice a year
It's something that's fun to watch very rarely, because once the shock of the wrong warp wears off it's not quite as interesting to watch people optimize it further.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Pigbuster posted:

Yeah, it did, and it's hard to explain why it's so much more grating to me. It might just be as simple as I like the main Yoshi's Story melody but the one in YNI got on my nerves immediately and then that same melody is used in just about every single non-fort/castle level.

I got burned bad on Yoshi's Story too, thinking it would be like Yoshi's Island 2 instead of what it was.

Looking back on it, it's a cute little game though.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

That reminds me, has Notch made his donation yet and were there audible groans like last time?

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʏʟᴇ
ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ

bef
Mar 2, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ꜱᴛʏʟᴇ
ʜᴇ ʜᴀꜱ ɴᴏ ɢʀᴀᴄᴇ

uh huh thats my poo poo, all the kongs run your hands like this

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

Incoherence posted:

It's something that's fun to watch very rarely, because once the shock of the wrong warp wears off it's not quite as interesting to watch people optimize it further.

The OOT 3DS all bosses run from AGDQ 17 was great. A nice mix of :wtc: strategies but you still get to see the entire game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-zHhOJbVVnU

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

beep by grandpa posted:

I'm listening to this tonight between runs, thought I'd share cause I saw a neat Launchpad vid linked a bunch of pages back catching up on posts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyU_7JaZUEI

Thanks for sharing this owns

Was Jubeat not hard enough for this person

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

axeil posted:

i heard it's tough for international folks to get the visas as it's technically not tourism but also not business and us customs doesn't really recognize speedrunning as a "performance" like a concert or play.

My dad tells me I act like it's a sport.

Slickdrac
Oct 5, 2007

Not allowed to have nice things

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

That reminds me, has Notch made his donation yet and were there audible groans like last time?

If he has, it was almost nothing.

e; comparatively

Nep-Nep
May 15, 2004

Just one more thing!

I Greyhound posted:

I am watching the Dragon Warrior VOD. I'm 2 minutes in, and my jaw is already on the floor. This guy is a wizard.

Your jaw is gonna be down there awhile

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost

LAY-ZX posted:

also they hugged the goat

i liked the part where that chant started well before the text box in question came up and went on long past the point of it being super awkward

I Greyhound
Apr 22, 2008

MusicKrew Dawn Patrol
I really want to see what his notes look like. I wouldn't be surprised if they were written in binary.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Sapozhnik posted:

i liked the part where that chant started well before the text box in question came up and went on long past the point of it being super awkward

That moment was magical :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
undertale is a good game that absolutely deserves the hype but it does not work as a speed game at all so the decision to end the previous xGDQ with it was a rather strange one

• Locked thread