Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xenaul
Jun 2, 2007
I find parallel between Arkangel overprotective spy Mother and Black Museum Murder Mother interesting. The only real difference that Arkangel one acts as secretive protector, while Black Museum one active enabler.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
I think it’s kinda funny how much he hated Arkangel, as a parent it really resonated with a lot of thoughts I have about parenthood, specifically modern parenting and how capitalism has molded it into a very individual and ‘performative’ process where you’re judged constantly on the presentation and behaviour of your kids.

Shoes don’t fit, or no shoes at all? Bad parent. Clothes don’t fit, back to front, inside out, they look shabby and terrible and you should be ashamed of yourself. Made a mistake, well here’s a service and/or product for your piece of mind.

I’m not saying everyone buys into this, but the pressures are there, and I feel like where they hit the hardest is not stunting the growth of the child, but the parent. The mother in Arkangel never grew up with her child, and the Arkangel device may not have been solely responsible but it sure as hell enabled her to never move beyond the role as constant bystander and controller in a child’s life.

This left her woefully unequipped to actually deal with a time when she couldn’t actually control the surroundings of her child, and that manifested in human but flawed ways that all mark an inability to see her child as an independent entity that is allowed to have privacy and self-determination now.

When your children are newborn you’re MEANT to have total control, but you’re also meant to work towards relinquishing that control as they grow and you teach them. Maintaining control almost requires you to maintain detachment from the actual growth that’s happening in front of your eyes, and when that happens you miss the forest for the trees.

Reading some responses earlier that the daughter went off the rails feels a little judgemental, she wanted to get out from under the yoke of control, and wanted to experiment. Having sex one time and trying drugs doesn’t necessarily mean she’s ‘off the rails’, but the difference is what happens next. Voyeurism and slipping an EC into your smoothie is not exactly a good way to fix that.

For what it’s worth even Tripp, while definitely creeping if he’s sleeping with a 15 yr old when 18, seemed like he genuinely cared about her and probably would’ve even waited if it wasn’t for the scorched earth approach Mum took.

At any rate, the mother is a bad one, but it’s not purely a moral failing, we set up the system in a way that pressures parents to grow up like that through isolation, individualism, and capitalism.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Anime_Ladies.html posted:

An episode about your terrible twitter opinions from 4/5 years ago being broadcast to everyone at all times.

And then a bee kills you.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Any time a website publishes a ranking or top X list they intentionally do it "wrong" because people are way more likely to post links and drive clicks towards to ones they disagree with so congrats on falling for that I guess.

Fututor Magnus
Feb 22, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
a couple people have said that BM episodes set in the modern day or close to modern day are the best, because it seems like the most relatable, and like the events "might happen tomorrow", so to speak.

i think if they look into doing a modern day episode with mostly modern technology, i hope they delve into the topic of catfishing, and being fooled by other people who can access your information and based on their knowledge of who you are run high level scams on you.

would be cool if the trademark BM twist was the catfish...er? right, the catfisher is an AI, and I don't mean those cookies "digital consciousnesses" human copy bullshit, an actual electronic mind in a black box type of deal, who somehow accessed a phone and a database of people and convinced / blackmailed them into letting it loose out of google.headquarters or wherever the gently caress.

maybe a new google employee is contacted and catfished by the AI for like years and years, and the employee is now at a senior position, and at that point the AI springs its trap and has this employee release them to the cloud, or whatever release the AI into the internet.

think it would be cool episode about how much pf your data is collected and in fact available to any motivated parties, and also about true AI and the weird ways in which it might operate instead of these bullshit cookies "human souls in digital form" bullshit, i want true electronic sentience, not biological sentience simulated electronically.

e: jesus christ, there are so many morons, pretty much all unmarried childless people, usually men, though even women more often than not, who find the motber in arkangel "unrealistic", and unbelievable?! like, rear end in a top hat, have you never heard of helicopter parenting? and that it's a thing, a trend, that empirically bloody exists, right?

Fututor Magnus fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Jan 11, 2018

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

I don't really care about the rankings, but this reading of "Fifteen Million Merits" is mind bogglingly bad:

quote:

Andy Warhol famously prophesied that in the future, we will all be world famous for 15 minutes. What he could not have imagined were the depths of debasement we’d be willing to sink to get there. Brooker puts the carnivorous culture of reality TV on trial in this diabolical hour, set in a world where lower-caste citizens pedal stationary bikes to power their surroundings and earn meager currency. One member of the underclass (Jessica Brown Findlay) strives for more by singing for her life on a live TV special, another (Daniel Kaluuya) bursts onto a broadcast to deliver a screed against his overlords; both of their lives get significantly worse as a result of these choices. Brooker’s commandment is to worship no idols, most especially of the American variety.

Like, yeah, it involved reality TV and had things to say about reality TV but it wasn't actually primarily an episode about reality TV. Jesus.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
It's also just factually wrong, Bing's life gets so much better that it ends up pacifying him.

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

(It's you!)

And Abi doesn't strive for more, she's shown as perfectly happy with the way her life goes. It's Bing's gift of that 15MM that makes her audition.

ThNextGreenLantern
Feb 13, 2012
Halfway through Metalhead, I texted my brother "Let me guess, the people are actually pop-ups and the dogs are some kind of adblock?"
I enjoyed the episode, I was just constantly waiting for the other shoe to drop. When I saw it was in black & white, I expected there to be some kind of dramatic twist/reveal because Black Mirror has conditioned me to think any time what we see is altered or masked, it is A Thing.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
Hot take: after McAllister, a societal rating system is introduced - the idea being without bullies, issues like school shootings and weird ai torturers won’t happen, since these things are almost the reaction of a victimized person lashing out at whatever is available

However as we see with Lacy (bullied bulimic) the system doesn’t work. Her bullies (such as the airline counter employee who previously worked at the tech startup) merely use the system again the oppressed

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Fututor Magnus posted:

i think if they look into doing a modern day episode with mostly modern technology, i hope they delve into the topic of catfishing, and being fooled by other people who can access your information and based on their knowledge of who you are run high level scams on you.

I like this one an awful lot. And you should definitely watch Ex Machina if you haven’t already

Xealot
Nov 25, 2002

Showdown in the Galaxy Era.

Anime_Ladies.html posted:

An episode about your terrible twitter opinions from 4/5 years ago being broadcast to everyone at all times.

An episode where Clippy can feel pain.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

khwarezm posted:

I know it's easy to get mad about rankings like that (Shut up and Dance at 14?!) but something that really fascinates me about the show is the insane variation I've seen from people over what are the worst and best episodes, out of all the shows I've watched BM is the most divisive I've ever seen when it comes to that question.

Before the new ones came out the consensus with everyone I know was that the best episode was the one where you can rewind memories. Closely followed by dead Domhnall Gleeson.
It doesn't seem to have changed now S3/4 are out there.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

FireWorksWell posted:

she's shown as perfectly happy

Yes, I'm sure she was perfectly happy believing that Bing abandoned her. So happy that she took mind-altering drugs and threw herself into a life of sexual slavery, not out of desperation or a broken heart or anything, but because she freely wanted that life for herself.

No but seriously, what the hell. This isn't "sexual liberation", this is literally a dystopian society that humiliates and then coerces people into being sex slaves and then showing them 24/7 drugged out of their minds while being raped. While on drugs.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

Xealot posted:

An episode where Clippy can feel pain.

You realize that literally everyone would reverse their take on 'torture of sentient A.I. is still cruel', at least for Clippy, right?

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.

King Vidiot posted:

Yes, I'm sure she was perfectly happy believing that Bing abandoned her. So happy that she took mind-altering drugs and threw herself into a life of sexual slavery, not out of desperation or a broken heart or anything, but because she freely wanted that life for herself.

No but seriously, what the hell. This isn't "sexual liberation", this is literally a dystopian society that humiliates and then coerces people into being sex slaves and then showing them 24/7 drugged out of their minds while being raped. While on drugs.

What I think he means is she was happy staying in her lane on the bike. Bing thought he was doing her a favour with the ticket, so did she, and yet what she got out of it was sexual slavery, like you said.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

Maluco Marinero posted:

What I think he means is she was happy staying in her lane on the bike. Bing thought he was doing her a favour with the ticket, so did she, and yet what she got out of it was sexual slavery, like you said.

Ah, sorry! I glossed over the latter half of that sentence and that poster was responding to how Bing's life turned out. And they said "goes" instead of like, "was going", so I was confused.

It didn't help that it was like 7 in the morning and I had about 4 hours of sleep last night.

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
I watched my first Black mirror last night, arkangel, and I thought it was straight garbage. Badly acted and it stumbled to make any interesting point about technology. Are the rest any better?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

I watched my first Black mirror last night, arkangel, and I thought it was straight garbage. Badly acted and it stumbled to make any interesting point about technology. Are the rest any better?

It's not the best episode (probably among my bottom-tier personally) but I didn't hate it. Maybe the fact that you do seem to hate it means this isn't the show for you?

At least watch something like 15 Million Merits, White Christmas or Shut Up and Dance and if it still does nothing for you, then give it a pass.

e: Though to be fair, if you started on the very first episode you'd probably have had the same reaction.

King Vidiot fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Jan 11, 2018

Lovechop
Feb 1, 2005

cheers mate

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

that's a weird episode to start on dude. watch shut up and dance, 15 million merits or san junipero

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

You should've just watched the series in order IMO; National Anthem is the ideal starter episode.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

Guy Mann posted:

Any time a website publishes a ranking or top X list they intentionally do it "wrong" because people are way more likely to post links and drive clicks towards to ones they disagree with so congrats on falling for that I guess.

nah. tv critics are notoriously bad in general.

MOVIE MAJICK posted:

why did you pick an episode at random lol

Groovelord Neato fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Jan 11, 2018

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Lovechop posted:

that's a weird episode to start on dude. watch shut up and dance, 15 million merits or san junipero

Nosedive is my favorite. Did you know Rashida Jones co-wrote it?

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica

Groovelord Neato posted:

nah. tv critics are notoriously bad in general.

why did you pick an episode at random lol

A friend wanted to introduce me to the show, picked that up. I'll give the episode with the guy from Fargo season 2 a try since I liked him

I was disappointed in arkangel because I really wanted it to examine the developmental consequences of having a stress filter on your perception. It seemed like the girl was going to grow into a psychopath without any appreciation for human suffering, which was briefly touched on, but then ended with some lame - melodramatic - comment on helicopter parenting.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Jan 11, 2018

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Isn't psycho child incredibly played out at this point?

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
I was expecting her to grow up to be dangerously naive, like how she just walked past the dog in the front yard that was barking at her. (When she had the censorship on)

Considering they can't remove it, they could have easily just had it get 'stuck' on, until she's like 35 and the battery dies and suddenly she's in a completely different and terrifying world.

You wouldn't even have to make it completely dark, there is some humour about her trying to like, have a sexual relationship now that she can see naked bodies. What if she's not turned on by clearly defined bodies? She can't sleep with her husband anymore because he's not the blurry man she fell in love with!

Or character tics like her trying to swear without being used to it at all or even knowing what swearwords sounded like until a few days ago.

OR she has a weird sanitised version of history/the world, because she can't watch violent news or read about violent events without the censorship kicking in. So she just has no idea what WW2 was.

The tech really didn't have that much of an impact considering how early it got turned off and how unintrusive the later tech was compared to what was going on when she was a child.

I'd say you could have done the same story via current parental tools available on PC's and phones 'n poo poo, ala Shut Up and Dance, and it might have even been less distracting.

cosmically_cosmic fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Jan 11, 2018

Maluco Marinero
Jan 18, 2001

Damn that's a
fine elephant.
Honestly, kids are resilient, I kind like the fact that the filter didn’t gently caress her development up irreparably, it was the technology in general messing up the parent’s development. I feel like it’s a positive that it leans away from psycho child as a means for abuse or bad upbringing and then puts the focus on parents failing to grow, which in my opinion is a less explored storyline worth talking about.

Maluco Marinero fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jan 11, 2018

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I don't think a malfunctioning version of Arkangel would be within the show's MO. Black Mirror is generally interested in stories about what happens when the technology works exactly as designed. The show's not so interested in things going haywire, except in cases like Men Against Fire where the failure mainly demonstrates what the working tech is doing.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

yeah i thought the episode was going to go into the effects of the filtering, not the mother's ability to view her daughter's viewpoint at any time.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Supercar Gautier posted:

I don't think a malfunctioning version of Arkangel would be within the show's MO. Black Mirror is generally interested in stories about what happens when the technology works exactly as designed. The show's not so interested in things going haywire, except in cases like Men Against Fire where the failure mainly demonstrates what the working tech is doing.

Indeed, I was hoping at the end the kid was going to notice that the mom never put an access code on the pad and set her own code, locking out everything but the camera function so mom'd now only be able to watch her daughter while deprived of all means of control when she took off.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug
Bored waiting for the next season of Black Mirror? Amazon Prime has Electric Dreams on streaming. The first episode has Anna Paquin, naked, as is tradition.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Electric dreams is a good watch for anyone who likes Black Mirror. Some people ITT have mentioned wanting to see Black Mirror experiment more with things like retro-futurism or aliens, and Electric Dreams is essentially that.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Jay-V posted:

- I really liked Crocodile because I have a guinea pig, and it made me laugh to think she would be looking at anything other than food

We finally finished the last half of Crocodile (and the three remaining eps after) and I was unreasonably tickled by the guinea pig memory reveal. Though I also figured if I were murdered and they tried to plumb the depths of my guinea pig’s memories to figure out who did it, it’d just be a few hours worth of staring at her food dish/water bottle/snacks.

Though I am a little confused that they’d be able to get memories from a toddler or a guinea pig; they made such a big deal over ‘oh memories are subjective’ and so on. But I’m guessing if they got any image from the guinea pig’s memory it would be obvious who the perp was. I think I’m just hung up on the real world stuff that children can’t form memories until they’re like 3 years old.

I feel like I wasn’t as jazzed about Hang the DJ as most in this thread were. IDK, the whole ‘breaking the app’s programming for true love’ seemed kind of flat; if there were some real world interaction between them or something, I might’ve liked it more, but I just felt ‘eh’.

Metalhead wasn’t terrible or great. My boyfriend summed it up as ‘it’s like someone trying to ape a Black Mirror ep’.

Black Museum was pretty interesting. I thought all the little Easter eggs in the museum were neat and the three vignettes were all kinda cool, but the end reveal was kind of a wet fart.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

LadyPictureShow posted:

We finally finished the last half of Crocodile (and the three remaining eps after) and I was unreasonably tickled by the guinea pig memory reveal. Though I also figured if I were murdered and they tried to plumb the depths of my guinea pig’s memories to figure out who did it, it’d just be a few hours worth of staring at her food dish/water bottle/snacks.

Though I am a little confused that they’d be able to get memories from a toddler or a guinea pig; they made such a big deal over ‘oh memories are subjective’ and so on. But I’m guessing if they got any image from the guinea pig’s memory it would be obvious who the perp was. I think I’m just hung up on the real world stuff that children can’t form memories until they’re like 3 years old.

I feel like I wasn’t as jazzed about Hang the DJ as most in this thread were. IDK, the whole ‘breaking the app’s programming for true love’ seemed kind of flat; if there were some real world interaction between them or something, I might’ve liked it more, but I just felt ‘eh’.

Metalhead wasn’t terrible or great. My boyfriend summed it up as ‘it’s like someone trying to ape a Black Mirror ep’.

Black Museum was pretty interesting. I thought all the little Easter eggs in the museum were neat and the three vignettes were all kinda cool, but the end reveal was kind of a wet fart.

Children have memories before 3, it's just that you lose your ability recall memories before that time due to infantile amnesia. How the hell do you think toddlers learn to talk or anything really?

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

LadyPictureShow posted:

Same. I think part of the reason for me is that I didn’t read the simulation as cookies in the same way as the Callister NPCs or the White Christmas guy or the others, so the reveal fell completely flat. It wasn’t until reading this thread that I understood they were meant to be sentient copies (? I’m still not completely sold). I liked the first 90% of it though.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

socialsecurity posted:

Children have memories before 3, it's just that you lose your ability recall memories before that time due to infantile amnesia. How the hell do you think toddlers learn to talk or anything really?

I work in linguistics; maybe my real life experience focusing on language acquisition is hamstringing me.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015
Though hang on now that you mention it, didn't they have to talk to the person to get them to think of the event in order to 'read' the memory?

Does that Guinea Pig speak english? Or was it just constantly having flashbacks to the murder? Would a guinea pig even give a poo poo or would it just be thinking about food?

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The guinea pig reveal was so funny and stupid that IDGAF. It was like something straight out of Tales From the Crypt.

mcbexx
Jul 4, 2004

British dentistry is
not on trial here!

Clickbait link - Comic covers for BM episodes.

https://www.boredpanda.com/artist-creates-covers-of-comics-based-on-black-mirror-episodes-the-result-is-incredible/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Electric dreams is a good watch for anyone who likes Black Mirror. Some people ITT have mentioned wanting to see Black Mirror experiment more with things like retro-futurism or aliens, and Electric Dreams is essentially that.

I wanted to like Electric Dreams more but I just couldn't. They all ended up just being kind of okay at best for me, and I'm not really sure what my problem with them was.
I've yet to watch the new ones just aired though.

e: Just watched ep7 and it was really good. I mean, it's a story we've all seen before but it was enjoyable.

Gromit fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Jan 13, 2018