Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Proletariat Beowulf posted:

How badly do you have to gently caress up to get some deviant to poo poo on you with a questionable cartoon horse custom title? Now I get to shake that out of my head with booze or a bullet before I have to go yell at a child in a library to do his work. Thanks, SA. :argh:

I got mine for having the audacity to post in the eve online thread, and have been far too lazy to find something new to change it to.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheArmorOfContempt
Nov 29, 2012

Did I ever tell you my favorite color was blue?

Revelation 2-13 posted:

Sorry man, I got it many years ago, for pointing out someone's obsession with hugboxes on the internet :shrug: I neither notice it, nor care about it.

I really like the ttcombat stuff too, got my ruin set a few days ago. Just thin mdf but pretty good detail and very cheap - considering ordering more of their stuff.

Honestly, it is one of the most SA of avatars.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Help me, I'm getting more and more tempted to play Custodes. I know they're going to be garbage, because all elite armies are, but...they're so cool.

Genghis Cohen
Jun 29, 2013

Thundercloud posted:

Sarah is the woman who works in GW Birmingham and handles lots of the marketing, paint night, etc.

Gotcha. I was in there to buy some spray paint last weekend (which is holyfuckingshit expensive now) and she said they were doing 'fight night' gaming sessions on the last saturday of the month? Might go hit it up in my ongoing effort to get fresh blood for my gaming group.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Help me, I'm getting more and more tempted to play Custodes. I know they're going to be garbage, because all elite armies are, but...they're so cool.

Play what you like. Eventually it might be good... right?

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This is how Ork players console themselves.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Worked for Tyranids.

Thundercloud
Mar 28, 2010

To boldly be eaten where no grot has been eaten before!

Genghis Cohen posted:

Gotcha. I was in there to buy some spray paint last weekend (which is holyfuckingshit expensive now) and she said they were doing 'fight night' gaming sessions on the last saturday of the month? Might go hit it up in my ongoing effort to get fresh blood for my gaming group.

My fiance is on a 'buy a house' kick at the moment, so I doubt I'm getting away to play with toys at any point soon. But it builds from the escalation league they are trying to put together to encourage people to actually play with their stuff.

Thursday night is painting night usually.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Use them to get into 30k, where they’re head and shoulders above everyone else.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках
So. Signed up for a growth league, 10 weeks, 500 to 2500 points on the way. 500 points with Primaris is hard.

+++ Growth League (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [27 PL, 487pts] +++

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Wolves) [27 PL, 487pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched
. Categories: No Force Org Slot

+ Heavy Support [8 PL, 165pts] +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator [75pts]
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Hellblaster Squad, Imperium, Infantry, Primaris, Heavy Support, Space Wolves
. Abilities: Combat Squads, Unit: Hellblaster, Hellblaster Sergeant, Weapon: Plasma incinerator, Standard, Plasma incinerator, Supercharge
. 4x Hellblaster [72pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. . Weapon: Bolt pistol, Frag grenade, Krak grenade
. Hellblaster Sergeant [18pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

+ HQ [7 PL, 134pts] +

Wolf Lord in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 134pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet [22pts], Master-crafted power sword [10pts], Saga of the Warrior Born, Warlord
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Character, HQ, Imperium, Infantry, Mk X Gravis, Primaris, Space Wolves, Wolf Lord
. Abilities: Belt of Russ, Jarl of Fenris, Saga of the Warrior Born, Unit: Wolf Lord in Gravis Armor, Weapon: Boltstorm gauntlet (melee), Boltstorm gauntlet (shooting), Master-crafted power sword

+ Troops [12 PL, 188pts] +

Intercessor Squad [6 PL, 94pts]
. Categories: Infantry, Intercessor Squad, Primaris, Adeptus Astartes, Space Wolves, Troops
. Bolt rifles: Bolt rifle
. . Weapon: Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor [72pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. . Unit: Intercessor, Weapon: Bolt pistol, Frag grenade, Krak grenade
. Intercessor Sergeant [22pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Power sword [4pts]
. . Unit: Intercessor Sergeant, Weapon: Bolt pistol, Frag grenade, Krak grenade, Power sword

. Categories: Infantry, Intercessor Squad, Primaris, Adeptus Astartes, Space Wolves, Troops
. Intercessor Sergeant [22pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades, Power sword [4pts]
. . Unit: Intercessor Sergeant, Weapon: Bolt pistol, Frag grenade, Krak grenade, Power sword

Created with BattleScribe

The power swords on the Sgts are actually chainswords thanks to whatever the gently caress GW was thinking when writing the Index.

Liquid Communism fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jan 11, 2018

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

panascope posted:

Ew, no, 7th ed.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Templates are dirty!

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

panascope posted:

Holy poo poo your avatar is amazing.

panascope
Mar 26, 2005

Gyro Zeppeli posted:

Ew, no, 7th ed.

7th ed without formations is :perfect:

Der Waffle Mous
Nov 27, 2009

In the grim future, there is only commerce.
Now if they could do something about the weird assault restrictions, weird grenade restrictions, stomp, and quad mortars stopping the game cold for 20 minutes each time.

Like, I'm not being facetious I like HH but 7th's got problems deeper than formations.

Der Waffle Mous fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Jan 11, 2018

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.

panascope posted:

7th ed without formations is :perfect:

Counterpoint:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Mef989 posted:

This is how Ork players console themselves.

Deified Data posted:

Worked for Tyranids.

Its currently 3 for 3 on working for orks nids and sisters so?

a digital orc
May 14, 2003

You see, Guragh, they can't fire me for sexual harassment. The crime doesn't fit the punishment! :orks:
When does GW finish reboxing these loving things for a new edition? I've been looking everywhere for a chaos predator and can't find one. Also: are orks good again??? :orks101:

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord

a digital orc posted:

When does GW finish reboxing these loving things for a new edition? I've been looking everywhere for a chaos predator and can't find one. Also: are orks good again??? :orks101:

Orks are pretty decent enough with the Index but considering how well all the other codices have gone, with the possible exception of Grey Knights/AdMech (just due to lack of options/flavor), I'd say they'll be in for a treat when their codex arrives. Stratagems for armies have tended to be flavorful and Orks are nothing if not flavorful (and choppy). Funnily enough non-Imperial codices have fared better in 8th.

1994 Toyota Celica
Sep 11, 2008

by Nyc_Tattoo
i'm going to send in a basic space marine fightmans story to the black library open submissions event

blood angels successors vs nids in the imperium nihilus

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

zeal posted:

i'm going to send in a basic space marine fightmans story to the black library open submissions event

blood angels successors vs nids in the imperium nihilus

See if you can sneak the chain chain in there somewhere.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

So. Signed up for a growth league, 10 weeks, 500 to 2500 points on the way. 500 points with Primaris is hard.

+++ Growth League (Warhammer 40,000 8th Edition) [27 PL, 487pts] +++

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Wolves) [27 PL, 487pts] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

Gametype: Matched
. Categories: No Force Org Slot

+ Heavy Support [8 PL, 165pts] +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator [75pts]
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Hellblaster Squad, Imperium, Infantry, Primaris, Heavy Support, Space Wolves
. Abilities: Combat Squads, Unit: Hellblaster, Hellblaster Sergeant, Weapon: Plasma incinerator, Standard, Plasma incinerator, Supercharge
. 4x Hellblaster [72pts]: 4x Bolt pistol, 4x Frag & Krak grenades
. Hellblaster Sergeant [18pts]: Bolt pistol, Frag & Krak grenades

+ HQ [7 PL, 134pts] +

Wolf Lord in Gravis Armor [7 PL, 134pts]: Boltstorm gauntlet [22pts], Master-crafted power sword [10pts], Saga of the Warrior Born, Warlord
. Categories: Adeptus Astartes, Character, HQ, Imperium, Infantry, Mk X Gravis, Primaris, Space Wolves, Wolf Lord
. Abilities: Belt of Russ, Jarl of Fenris, Saga of the Warrior Born, Unit: Wolf Lord in Gravis Armor, Weapon: Boltstorm gauntlet (melee), Boltstorm gauntlet (shooting), Master-crafted power sword

+ Troops [12 PL, 188pts] +

. Bolt rifles: Bolt rifle

Created with BattleScribe

The power swords on the Sgts are actually chainswords thanks to whatever the gently caress GW was thinking when writing the Index.

I'd recommend spending the point on a grenade launcher for the Intercessor Squads. It's a cheap bonus. I'd consider finding a way to make your Hellblasters have assault plasma incinerators, maybe by making the HQ a Lt instead? That might be enough to make that change and also swap out an Intercessor squad for assault bolters Inceptors.

Something like this:

HQ: Primaris Captain (Power Sword) - 95 Points

T: Intercessor Squad (Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Power Sword) - 95

FA: Inceptor Squad (Assault Bolter) - 135

HS: Hellblaster Squad (Assault Plasma Incinerator) - 175

Total: 500 points

Muninn
Dec 29, 2008
Decided on Tau as my first foray into 40,000, after playing Warriors of Chaos and Dwarfs in 8th edition fantasy. I never much painted my armies (nor really did my other Beerhammer friends), but I think I can execute Tau well enough with drybrushing/washes/edge highlighting to actually complete it this time around.

I like the color scheme of Vior'la color scheme well enough and think I could execute it without buying a ton of paints. On the other hand I like the fluff of Farsight Enclaves and dark red is cool. Any idea how a Farsight Enclaves list might differ from a normal Sept list? Is that old Farsight Enclaves supplement worth it, if only for paint schemes and army composition ideas?

I suppose I should wait until the release of their 8th edition codex before I start buying models in earnest.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I'd recommend spending the point on a grenade launcher for the Intercessor Squads. It's a cheap bonus. I'd consider finding a way to make your Hellblasters have assault plasma incinerators, maybe by making the HQ a Lt instead? That might be enough to make that change and also swap out an Intercessor squad for assault bolters Inceptors.

Something like this:

HQ: Primaris Captain (Power Sword) - 95 Points

T: Intercessor Squad (Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Power Sword) - 95

FA: Inceptor Squad (Assault Bolter) - 135

HS: Hellblaster Squad (Assault Plasma Incinerator) - 175

Total: 500 points

I'm working off the DI models, so I don't have the -bits- for assault incinerators. I can probably fake up the launcher, though. :)

I went double Intercessors because I wanted a spare unit that had ObSec.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

I'm working ofd the DI models, so I don't have the -bits- for assault incinerators. I can probably fake up the launcher, though. :)

The difference between the assault incinerator and the plasma incinerator is a stupid little scope that nobody in their right mind would ever notice, and if they do politely shrug and inform them that YOUR Primaris Marines don't need a loving SCOPE for a FULLY AUTOMATIC PLASMA GUN.

For the grenade launcher, pro-tier players use Cadian Grenade Launchers.

Exhibit A:

Don't need Objective Secured if all of your opponents are dead.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

The difference between the assault incinerator and the plasma incinerator is a stupid little scope that nobody in their right mind would ever notice, and if they do politely shrug and inform them that YOUR Primaris Marines don't need a loving SCOPE for a FULLY AUTOMATIC PLASMA GUN.

Oh, cool! I thought it was more than that, like the dumbass box mags on the assault boltguns.

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

For the grenade launcher, pro-tier players use Cadian Grenade Launchers.

Exhibit A:

Don't need Objective Secured if all of your opponents are dead.

Those are pretty pro looking. I'll have to float a query around and see if anyone's got some lying about.

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Oh, cool! I thought it was more than that, like the dumbass box mags on the assault boltguns.

Those are pretty pro looking. I'll have to float a query around and see if anyone's got some lying about.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/40K-IG-Cadian-Troop-Grenade-Launcher-Arms-Bits-2-Bitz/382255641225

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Yeah, that's my next go-to, going to check with the local Hams and see if anyone's got some in the bits box I can just snag this week instead of waiting for shipping.

Thanks, though!

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Liquid Communism posted:

This squad is technically illegal. The grunts are carrying assault plasma incinerators, but the Sergeant is carrying a regular plasma incinerator by the handle.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

This squad is technically illegal. The grunts are carrying assault plasma incinerators, but the Sergeant is carrying a regular plasma incinerator by the handle.

360 no scope

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I bought the Combat Squad of Hellblasters just for that pose variety. That Seargant looks baller.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shockeh posted:

I bought the Combat Squad of Hellblasters just for that pose variety. That Seargant looks baller.

Wait, so the Combat Squad is different from the 10 man squad?

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I meant compared to the DI Hellblasters.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Shockeh posted:

I meant compared to the DI Hellblasters.

Oh. Yeah the variety is nice. I might just pick up the Combat Squad since I likely will use 20 Hellblasters and I already have 15.

Mef989
Feb 6, 2007

Muninn posted:

Decided on Tau as my first foray into 40,000, after playing Warriors of Chaos and Dwarfs in 8th edition fantasy. I never much painted my armies (nor really did my other Beerhammer friends), but I think I can execute Tau well enough with drybrushing/washes/edge highlighting to actually complete it this time around.

I like the color scheme of Vior'la color scheme well enough and think I could execute it without buying a ton of paints. On the other hand I like the fluff of Farsight Enclaves and dark red is cool. Any idea how a Farsight Enclaves list might differ from a normal Sept list? Is that old Farsight Enclaves supplement worth it, if only for paint schemes and army composition ideas?

I suppose I should wait until the release of their 8th edition codex before I start buying models in earnest.

You probably can't go wrong starting on the Battleforce or the Start Collecting boxes. All of those units are currently pretty good (even the crisis suits if you use flamers) and will probably still at least be decent in the codex.

Farsight classically has made crisis suits into troops and given them a few other buffs. This thread pointed out for me a while back that they also traditionally don't use auxiliaries like kroot or vespid, nor to they use Etherials.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Crisis as Troops this edition would be.... interesting. It wouldn't fix the problem they're running into this edition of being about 10 ppm too expensive, but it might make them more attractive if you were going to be spending that much on a squad of Fire Warriors anyway, and at least this way you can bring a Fusion Blaster or two.

R0ckfish
Nov 18, 2013

Muninn posted:

Farsight enclaves forces can mostly be summed up as no ethreals and lots of suits, but the second point need not restrict you.

The decision to buy stuff now vs later is essentially whether the appearance/lore of something is more important to you then how they could perform in the codex, there are some things you could get if you want some things to practice on that should be fairly good simply because of their roles and utility you can get pathfinders and firewarriors (the start collecting is essentially buy a unit of crisis suits and get 10$ firewarriors ).

The Tau codex is supposedly late february or march, if that influences your plans.

Strobe
Jun 30, 2014
GW BRAINWORMS CREW
Pathfinders with Rail Rifles have the benefit of being some of the best anti Terminator-equivalent units in the entire game right now, too. They're pretty great in general, as it stands.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Is this a terrible list for 2000 points? I feel like this is a terrible list for 2000 points. Dark Angels.

Command Points: 6 (Battalion)

HQ: Primaris Captain w/ Power Fist
HQ: Primaris Lieutenant w/ Power Sword

E: Primaris Ancient
E: Primaris Apothecary

T: 5x Intercessor w/ Bolt Rifles, Grenade Launcher, Power Sword

FA: Inceptor Squad w/ Plasma Exterminator

HS: 8x Hellblasters w/ Plasma Incinerator
HS: 8x Hellblasters w/ Plasma Incinerator

T: Repulsor w/ Twin Lascannon, Onslaught Gatlin Cannon, Las-talon, 2x Krakstorm Grenade Launcher, 5x Fragstorm Grenade Launcher
T: Repulsor w/ Twin Lascannon, Onslaught Gatlin Cannon, Las-talon, 2x Krakstorm Grenade Launcher, 5x Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

Beer4TheBeerGod fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Jan 11, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I think that list would be fun to play, and look great on the table.

Those Repulsors be rolling a ton of dice.