Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Depressing Box
Jun 27, 2010

Half-price sideshow.

hadji murad posted:

Streaks looks pretty neat. Is it only for daily things? I’ve tried the free version of Daily Habits and it seems to have more flexibility with things i want to do a few times a week.

Streaks can schedule tasks for specific days of the week, a number of days per week, or an interval (e.g. "every 3 days").

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nervana
Dec 9, 2010
I was the one who had asked about habit/reminder apps and currently I am pretty happy with the native Reminders app, but it seems to have synced my reminders to my home in Chicago and does not update to my current New York location (reminders are at Chicago time). How do I get daily "brush teeth" "stretch" alerts to stay the same e.g. 8 am wherever I am ?

nervana fucked around with this message at 22:30 on Jan 2, 2018

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Weedle posted:

Disable “continuous play” in Settings > Podcasts.

Worked, thank you! Dunno why it changed on me all of a sudden :shrug: But hey it's nice to not auto-queue 50+ podcasts when I just want to make a short bedtime playlist now.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

GobiasIndustries posted:

Worked, thank you! Dunno why it changed on me all of a sudden :shrug: But hey it's nice to not auto-queue 50+ podcasts when I just want to make a short bedtime playlist now.

I think they just added that setting in 11.2 or something, and before that it always behaved as if continuous play was off.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Seems like there's a lot of inventory apps, anyone have any recommendations for a particular one?

I don't think we mind paying a (reasonable) price for one that works but it is a non-profit so cheap is nice. We have inventory tags that we want to scan and the ability to say what room in what location each device is. Seems they almost all do this though.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

Did the YouTube app battery issue ever get fully resolved?

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Weedle posted:

Did the YouTube app battery issue ever get fully resolved?

About a month ago, yeah

https://www.macrumors.com/2017/11/27/youtube-app-iphone-battery-issue-fixed/

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I’m looking for a good app that lets me put in a backlog of games, books, comics, etc that I haven’t finished so that I can work off that to narrow things down (and hopefully stop from buying more!)

Any recommendations?

blast0rama
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

hadji murad posted:

I’m looking for a good app that lets me put in a backlog of games, books, comics, etc that I haven’t finished so that I can work off that to narrow things down (and hopefully stop from buying more!)

Any recommendations?

Personally, I just keep Notes for each of them. "TV", "Movies", "Games", etc. with checklists in each.

Less trouble and you don't need to wait or worry for a database to be updated.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I was going to say Notes or Reminders seem like they would work just fine for what isn't much more than a list. Evernote has a bit more functionality if you want more than what the stock apps give you. I guess if you want like UPC searching then I'm not really sure.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

hadji murad posted:

Any recommendations?

Delicious library on MacOS is the go-to recommendation for like 15 years. i don't know of anything on iOS that does it well, though it does have a scanner app for iPhone.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I'd have bought Delicious Library ages ago if they made an iOS version. I want to be able to see if I own a thing while record hunting. It seems like a slam dunk and they haven't done it.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Endless Mike posted:

I'd have bought Delicious Library ages ago if they made an iOS version. I want to be able to see if I own a thing while record hunting. It seems like a slam dunk and they haven't done it.

They used to (many years ago) have an ios app that had a scanner that was linked to amazon. I don't know if amazon shut it down or not, but it was pretty cool and then they killed it.

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

They used to (many years ago) have an ios app that had a scanner that was linked to amazon. I don't know if amazon shut it down or not, but it was pretty cool and then they killed it.

If it's not on the App Store anymore, it still works regardless. I just scanned some stuff in the other week (blurays).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Endless Mike posted:

Discogs app? I was actually halfway through making a web app for Discogs using their API then the app came out and looked almost identical to what I was working on. I’ll put it down to coincidence rather than them finding it through API access, but it made me laugh.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

EL BROMANCE posted:

Discogs app? I was actually halfway through making a web app for Discogs using their API then the app came out and looked almost identical to what I was working on. I’ll put it down to coincidence rather than them finding it through API access, but it made me laugh.

Good looking out! I had been using a third-party Discogs app and it disappeared with the 64-bit transition and I never thought to look for an official one. I guess it at least explains why! Still a Delicious Library app would be nice so I could catalog everything, but oh well.

hadji murad
Apr 18, 2006
I don’t really need anything too fancy. Just a list that I can input whatever it is cross media and check it off as I finish.

I have made a list in Notes and put checks besides things but would prefer something a little fancier/more interactive.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Looks like Google changed their API so RIP ProTube for the final time. I take it there's still no Picture in Picture in the first party YouTube, even if you subscribe to Red?

decypher
Aug 23, 2003

Who else see da leprechaun say yaaaa!
Hey guys,
I haven't lurked in this thread in awhile so I apologize if this was mentioned:

PhotoFx was updated! Remember that poo poo?! Amazing huh!

Actually, rebranded.

Same exact interface and tools.

It's now called Digital Film Tools.

BoyBlunder
Sep 17, 2008
Is there an app that will remind me to do something every hour and keep nagging me about it? Would be cool if it had a Watch counterpart.

The Gillman
Jul 8, 2004
Beaten with a sack of sweet Valencia oranges
Grimey Drawer

BoyBlunder posted:

Is there an app that will remind me to do something every hour and keep nagging me about it? Would be cool if it had a Watch counterpart.

Due has recurring reminders that has a Watch app

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

The Gillman posted:

Due has recurring reminders that has a Watch app

Due was my instant thought.

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

Is there an app like Due that isn’t five bucks

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

LODGE NORTH posted:

Is there an app like Due that isn’t five bucks

lol

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If you actually need something that does what that app claims to do then $5 seems very reasonable.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.
Nah we wanna see the same quality nosedive that mobile gaming consumers have given to the world.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Zigmidge posted:

Nah we wanna see the same quality nosedive that mobile gaming consumers have given to the world.

$1 IAP for every 10 nags.

Hello Spaceman
Jan 18, 2005

hop, skip, and jumpgate

Krispy Wafer posted:

$1 IAP for every 10 nags.

Free unlimited nags.
$5 IAP for it to stop nagging for any item in the list.

$10 IAP to edit list items.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Hello Spaceman posted:

Free unlimited nags.
$5 IAP for it to stop nagging for any item in the list.

$10 IAP to edit list items.

No good. Too easy to just delete the app.

$20 or all your nags get sent to your contact list. Hope you didn't have anything personal in there.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
To be fair I understand the hesitation of spending money on something without a way to trying it out first. Does the App Store even do refunds? I feel like it should by some kind of commerce law in which case just try it out for $5 and return it if you’re not 100% satisfied it’s the American way.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Boris Galerkin posted:

To be fair I understand the hesitation of spending money on something without a way to trying it out first. Does the App Store even do refunds? I feel like it should by some kind of commerce law in which case just try it out for $5 and return it if you’re not 100% satisfied it’s the American way.

Yes they do. I've received a refund more than once. You just have to make sure you ask for it in a reasonable timeframe and not weeks after the fact. Usually I've known an app doesn't work for me within a few minutes of poking around, asked for a refund, and had it granted within a day or two.

I've only done it a handful of times, I have no idea what the stance is if you do this at a high frequency.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Exactly part of the reason I’ve never gotten into iPad apps. Unlike macOS where you can get a trial/pirate before you buy, iPad apps are expensive and hard to install unofficially. (Don’t follow the jailbreak scene anymore).

It’s good to know they at least do some refunds. I was under the impression that Apple rarely gave them out.

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

EconOutlines posted:

Exactly part of the reason I’ve never gotten into iPad apps. Unlike macOS where you can get a trial/pirate before you buy, iPad apps are expensive and hard to install unofficially. (Don’t follow the jailbreak scene anymore).

It’s good to know they at least do some refunds. I was under the impression that Apple rarely gave them out.

Did I not read today that the App Store is going to start featuring a Trial button on some apps?

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014

XBenedict posted:

Did I not read today that the App Store is going to start featuring a Trial button on some apps?

I saw that Omni and a handful of other apps have done a trial feature on their premium apps.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"
Remember back when all apps had trial and pro versions where the trial would have a banner in the icon? i do!

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
Dark times.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Zesty posted:

Dark times.

I'd still prefer those times to the IAP/subscription model a lot of stuff is shifting to.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

astral posted:

I'd still prefer those times to the IAP/subscription model a lot of stuff is shifting to.

Having a single, unlockable app is a million times better than two separate apps.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

FCKGW posted:

Having a single, unlockable app is a million times better than two separate apps.

from the perspective of "it doesn't lose your data to upgrade between free/paid" and "it clutters the store less" sure, but I'd rather take the extra step up front instead of having to do a bunch more later (it's way more convenient to restore a paid app than to have to go in and restore purchases), IAP aren't family-sharable if you have that set up, and regarding subscription IAPs I'd still much rather own an app than have to pay a subscription for it :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

What’s the go-to pdf annotater? I’d like to be able to write on and, preferably, to stick notes to my PDFs. Even better if it can do cloud syncing with OSX, but that’s not the top priority.