Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire
Ex Spurs clownman Sandro is actually going to sign for Benevento, a team with 7 total points to date.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO

Ninpo posted:

I really don't get what happened to Wenger. He went from a very real thorn in SAF's side to this laughable mockery of a manger that makes the same mistakes over and over and over again. I genuinely don't understand how or why.

He got old and bought into his own hype.

Mr Snips
Jan 9, 2009

Also he bet that the football market was going to crash and loads of clubs would be in financial trouble from overspending but instead the market kept inflating and moved on without him

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice

Gigi Galli posted:

Ex Spurs clownman Sandro is actually going to sign for Benevento, a team with 7 total points to date.

benevento are good lads who are staying up

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

RideTheSpiral posted:

benevento are good lads who are staying up

Let's hope so op

Soulex
Apr 1, 2009

Cacati in mano e pigliati a schiaffi!

Babacar might finally end up at Crystal Palace.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Mr Snips posted:

Also he bet that the football market was going to crash and loads of clubs would be in financial trouble from overspending but instead the market kept inflating and moved on without him

He'll carry on in the job forever hoping for the bubble to pop and then when he dies after finishing 18th in 2042 FIFA will ban transfer fees in his memory and Alanis Morissette will write a song about it.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

Remember Landon? He's back, in Liga MX form

http://www.mediotiempo.com/futbol/2018/01/10/landon-donovan-saldria-del-retiro-para-jugar-en-la-liga-mx-con-leon

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Libertine posted:

Arsenal need about 4-5 new first team and 4-5 new second team players all across the pitch. Their team has just stagnated for so long with lack of transfer moves. Meanwhile, what should be their competition has been in for transfer activity in the hundreds of millions. Arsenal were 15th out of 20 EPL teams in transfer spending this summer, that's straight up indefensible for a big club with as many depth problems as they have. They continue to be one of the highest revenue teams in the league and they just sit on it non-stop while their ownership and management refuse to make competitive bids for star players. It's honestly disgusting.

This is correct. Kroenke is happy to keep the status quo forever, Wenger needs to fall on his sword. I’m sure they would commit to massive spending if a candidate they really wanted asked for it.

It’s been a long time since I was this depressed as a football fan: don’t get me wrong a lot of clubs have it worse than Arsenal by far but it’s just the Groundhog Day comedy of errors that has been repeating for half a decade at this point. No-one except Wenger has genuinely believed we can win major honours, and that includes the season loving Leicester won the league.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
:qq: oh no my team only won a major trophy 3 times in gheast 4 seasons

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The FA cup is not a major trophy :colbert:

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Bacon Terrorist posted:

Football dying has demoted all trophies bar the Champions League, the World Cup, the Premier League and Liga, and the Ballon D'Or to minor trophy status I guess. Rip.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Bacon Terrorist posted:

look at this post

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

Football dying has demoted all trophies bar the Champions League, the World Cup, the Premier League and Liga, and the Ballon D'Or to minor trophy status I guess. Rip.

I wish I the FA Cup was a major trophy but we only have to look at the calibre of finalists prior to last year. Hardly the grandiose spectacle it used to be.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

You forgot the Deloitte Money League.

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Look at this fail rear end poster forgetting about the most glorious competition, the intertoto cup.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)
Looks like Alex Pritchard is going to Huddersfield for £12m. Inevitable really with our parachute payments running out next season. Maddison and Other Murphy next I expect.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Akileese posted:

Malcom from Bordeaux?

I think I saw him DJ once...

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I wish I the FA Cup was a major trophy but we only have to look at the calibre of finalists prior to last year. Hardly the grandiose spectacle it used to be.

This is entirely the FA's fault. Scheduling for the Christmas period to now has been loving insane, no wonder reserves are being trotted out for the third round when some teams have played 5 matches since Boxing Day at this point, a lot with only a couple of days between them.

Brony Car
May 22, 2014

by Cyrano4747

Ninpo posted:

This is entirely the FA's fault. Scheduling for the Christmas period to now has been loving insane, no wonder reserves are being trotted out for the third round when some teams have played 5 matches since Boxing Day at this point, a lot with only a couple of days between them.

How would you fix it?

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Brony Car posted:

How would you fix it?

*drops the Winter Break grenade and runs*

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

That and maybe stop having PL teams compete for the League Cup.

Hashtag Banterzone
Dec 8, 2005

Lifetime Winner of the willkill4food Honorary Bad Posting Award in PWM
I don't know if you even need a winter break. What if you just had the matches scheduled with a normal amount of rest days in between?

Chillao
Jan 12, 2004
discerning gentleman
I agree with at least a small winter break and no PL teams in the League Cup. And especially no two-leg ties.

but if they keep the holiday matches, commentators need to stop bitching about rotation. They played less than 48 hours ago dumbass, what the gently caress else should they do?

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
I think one issue with scheduling is that some teams are getting more rest between matches at Christmas than their opposition in the next match, when all their fixtures are league games. Wenger moaned about West Brom having an extra two days between games before they played Arsenal who only had three days between games. I would argue it’s a fair point to suggest the league ensures both teams have an equal amount of rest (up to a point) before playing each other, not just in the interest of fairness but also in terms of ensuring decent games.

Ewar Woowar
Feb 25, 2007

Apparently we're trying to get Keita early. Would be happy with this.

Also someone please be Sturridge and Markovic.

Meat Wagon
Jul 14, 2004
Just get rid of international friendlies or better yet international football in general.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Meat Wagon posted:

Just get rid of international friendlies or better yet football in general.

Agreed

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Honestly think the coq is the best of our 3 Dm's. Sad to see him go

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Honestly think the coq is the best of our 3 Dm's. Sad to see him go

This is some textbook damning with faint praise there PD

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Bacon Terrorist posted:

I think one issue with scheduling is that some teams are getting more rest between matches at Christmas than their opposition in the next match, when all their fixtures are league games. Wenger moaned about West Brom having an extra two days between games before they played Arsenal who only had three days between games. I would argue it’s a fair point to suggest the league ensures both teams have an equal amount of rest (up to a point) before playing each other, not just in the interest of fairness but also in terms of ensuring decent games.

OK so the solution to this is to have all the games on at the same time, so reducing the amount of possible televised games by about 90% and the TV money accordingly. Can't see any objections to that.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Ninpo posted:

This is some textbook damning with faint praise there PD

It is. But while they can all be defensive liabilities he's the only one that actually has some really excellent games and has actually shown some decent potential. I think xhaka gets played most regularly purely because he cost £30m or whatever

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Coq is going for like 22 million which is a hell lot of money for a player of his quality. Can't blame Arsenal for selling but lol if you think they're gonna get a replacement in

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I do love that Arsene's answer to concerns about squad size and motivation is to sell one of his more useful and loyal players.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Manc Hill posted:

OK so the solution to this is to have all the games on at the same time, so reducing the amount of possible televised games by about 90% and the TV money accordingly. Can't see any objections to that.

I think he meant on the same day, rather than at the same time, so they could still televise the same amount of games, maybe with two on at the same time at one point.

The problem is more that there's three rounds of games in less than a week, four in 10 days or so for some teams the way it fell this year. It's great for us watching, but people can'y really complain about rotation around that time, especially when the FA Cup has been do devalued in recent decades.

When Christmas falls in such a way that there is a game right beforehand, maybe they could leave it at two rounds in between Boxing day and the 3rd round.

Moving the Cup to midweek would be a solution, at least for the earlier rounds, but there would be a kick up over that for a while before everyone just got used to it like any other change. Anyone with Europe and a cup run would have some fixture congestion, but that's the price for success I guess.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Yerry Mina to Barcelona is a done deal.

mackintosh
Aug 18, 2007

Semper Fidelis Poloniae

Meat Wagon posted:

Just get rid of international friendlies or better yet international football in general.

They did. Have you not heard of the UEFA Nations League?

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

Mickolution posted:

I think he meant on the same day, rather than at the same time, so they could still televise the same amount of games, maybe with two on at the same time at one point.

The Christmas schedule was clearly altered even more than usual for TV - Sky were running ads in the run up bragging about how they had the most games on TV over Christmas ever this year. Some of the rounds were spread over 4 days with 6 or 7 games shown - there is no way they can fit that into one day without showing them at the same time - which means less viewers. I'm sure even Sky realise that most people will not watch football non-stop from dawn til dusk - better to spread it out over a few days for maximum viewing figures.

The broader point is that if people want a more sensible Christmas schedule, then it surely means less games on TV and therefore less TV money.

peanut-
Feb 17, 2004
Fun Shoe
I don't want a more sensible Christmas schedule, games every 2 days rounded off by sending everyone to get kicked by league 2 teams playing in the biggest game of their career was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Bacon Terrorist posted:

west ham got 5 days off before the west brom match because their match against spurs got postponed for security reasond

• Locked thread