Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

- I guess it does make sense how tanks are not a great counter to agile robots, they are meant to shoot other tanks, which are slow. Actually the real question I should ask is how the heck did giant FAST robots get designed, developed, tested, revamped, tested, and deployed from out of nowhere with NO ONE noticing this? That stuff should have taken a lot of work, experts, and resources to develop.

Just as a note here, this is pure rules of giant robot works, not remotely realistic. Modern tanks can swing their turrets around incredibly fast, and, in any work that does this, if you have the technology to build giant robots that agile, you also have the technology to build tanks or tank-equivalents that will near unilaterally win.

For CS specifically you can kind of pass it off for obvious reasons - the tech being used is significantly ahead of what the other side has - though given the schizotech that is the Trails series, who knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

What. I had to memorize that as well? Anyway, I beat it, finally. Yeppp, that sure is a cliffhanger.
The farewell scene with the final companion is surprisingly touching even being as brief as it was.

I have more thoughts, but I'm tired and have a headache.

All those CIA documents and not a single one about how dope it is that Sharon actually IS ouroboros, but that she's on leave so for now she's helping the good guys. It really puts a pin in the whole thing they talk about in SC that enforcers have complete say over whether or not they are in on a mission and that Weissman warping those rules is what lead to his downfall.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
All those CIA blanks, just to say that Emma is a great friend. Wow guys, stop playing hard to get.:wink:

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
Also just finished Cold Steel 1 PC. Yeah that loving cliffhanger hahaha.

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

One of thing I like in CS2 is that the gundams don't beat tanks in every fight. They're very versatile, effective weapons but with the right tactics, and once the element of surprise is gone, a good commander can use tanks against them and win.

That mostly comes from when I first beat CS1 and was slightly worried, for a moment, that the series was going to suddenly just be about giant robots now.

Also, glad you went with Alisa Stabbey! that makes, like, uh...... two of us.

BearDrivingTruck
Oct 15, 2011

You see the most shocking sights sometimes

The Doomhammer posted:

Also, glad you went with Alisa Stabbey! that makes, like, uh...... two of us.

Three.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

I probably would have picked Alisa if Sara wasn't an option. She was though so...

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
Alisa may be the canon choice, but I think she's far from the best choice.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Maybe but she is the best available.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

i am tempted to try the probably bad kiseki gacha game

are there any particular hoops i need to jump through account-wise since of regions to dissuade me or is it straightforward regardless

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Four

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Five

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

So what is the actual point of bonding scenes in CS1? I know for party members it gives some link exp, but could I, for instance, have gotten away with skipping all of Fie's stupid early game bonding scenes where you burn a point to watch her sleep or garden, and just start doing them later on when she starts growing backstory?

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

the scenes you see are dependent on when you see them, not how many you've seen before so yes as long as you don't care about the link exp

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The point is to spend time with your friends

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Billzasilver posted:

The point is to spend time with your friends

I like to think of them as actively choosing not to spend time with Jusis and Machias :) (I've been jumping between Alisa/Laura/Emma/Fie. Gaius, Elliot, and Sara are gonna get some hardcore friending in ng+, but jusis and machias are already doomed to free time spent in solitude.)

The Doomhammer
Feb 14, 2010

you can spend time with everyone in ng+ at least (as long as you choose the option, anyway.)

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Omi no Kami posted:

So what is the actual point of bonding scenes in CS1? I know for party members it gives some link exp, but could I, for instance, have gotten away with skipping all of Fie's stupid early game bonding scenes where you burn a point to watch her sleep or garden, and just start doing them later on when she starts growing backstory?

Gonna be real with you bro, having done every single bonding scene like all of them are that mundane until the last two-three and imho Fie benefits the most from them since you at least get to see her pushed out of her shell beyond her new BFF.

psychoJ
Feb 24, 2011

Smart and cool, handsome, wealthy and so sexy

six. alisa's good.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

i am tempted to try the probably bad kiseki gacha game

are there any particular hoops i need to jump through account-wise since of regions to dissuade me or is it straightforward regardless

I can't believe learning japanese has already become your undoing

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

Last Celebration posted:

Gonna be real with you bro, having done every single bonding scene like all of them are that mundane until the last two-three and imho Fie benefits the most from them since you at least get to see her pushed out of her shell beyond her new BFF.

All I know is that Emma went from "I like this friend, I feel vaguely sorry for her since she has to put up with our moronic asses" to "This friend is the best friend" in about three seconds when she made Rean edit yaoi fanfiction with her.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Rean knew what he was getting himself into when he decided to spend time with Emma.

Omi no Kami
Feb 19, 2014

And if he didn't, he sure does now.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender
More thoughts on the finale of Cold Steel 1 (major spoilers obviously):

- I really, really liked Class VII sheepishly realizing that the instructors as a whole are way more badass than they could have possibly expected. It does help to put relative power into perspective. To that end, I also appreciated that taking on just one of the cheapest models was all Class VII could handle, it took their whole class, and the next stage up was impossible.
- The cultural emphasis the Japanese seem to place on forgiveness comes across as strange, even warped at times. Rean and his friends seem willing to want to talk C into going back to their side, apparently forgetting that C, as the ILF leader, is a mass-murderer. There were dead soldiers in Garrellia - soldiers the Thors students met and talked too - dead in bloody pools because of C's actions. C was planning to sacrifice Towa and who knows how many innocent people in his attempt to assassinate Osborne by railway cannon. C killed Osborne. Would Class VII really have just forgotten all that? Should they expect the others hurt in the ILF's schemes to just forgive and forget because Class VII personally likes who they thought C was?

Zaggitz posted:

All those CIA documents and not a single one about how dope it is that Sharon actually IS ouroboros, but that she's on leave so for now she's helping the good guys.

I just found that some combination of confusing and anticlimactic. I mean, she's been working for the Reinford's as a maid/bodyguard for seven years, but was also doing *something* on the side for Ouroboros two years ago? I am really not sure what to make of the whole situation, really.

I'll add that I was suspicious of Sharon from the moment of Alisa's Chapter 3 Bonding Event, to the point of suspecting she might be a boss fight. In fact, I still do not think that the matter is settled. In Chapter 6, After learning of Reinford's involvement with missing ore, it did not escape my notice that as Irina Reinford's secretary/aide, Sharon was in a perfect position to manipulate the information Irina sees. I think there's a very good chance that Sharon is responsible for arranging the creation of the 5th Division, or at least had a hand in hiding it from Irina.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Jan 11, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I just found that some combination of confusing and anticlimactic. I mean, she's been working for the Reinford's as a maid/bodyguard for seven years, but was also doing *something* on the side for Ouroboros two years ago? I am really not sure what to make of the whole situation, really.

Play Trails in the Sky FC, SC, and 3rd.

Or if you can't be bothered, it's something that can be figured out within the confines of Cold Steel 1's own story.

Two years ago, the Bracer guildhouses in Erebonia were attacked, giving Osborne enough leeway to shut them down afterwards.

Terper fucked around with this message at 14:53 on Jan 11, 2018

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Persona did not invent that plot convention.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Nate RFB posted:

Yeah dost thou desire the power made me think xenogears.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

- Those are a lot of shoes dropping. Big shoes. See what I did there? That 5th division of Reinford was mentioned ONCE, by a random NPC who thinks 's just a rumor. That's how subtle the game is willing to be with its foreshadowing. It trusts its audience.

Cold Steel was my first game and it was this bit where I was like "OK yeah I have to play all of these games now" because I just loved that so so much.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

Guess ys8 is coming to the switch now too.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Man why couldn't have announced that like ages ago, I would've loved to have bought Ys VIII on the switch.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Terper posted:

Play Trails in the Sky FC, SC, and 3rd.

Or if you can't be bothered, it's something that can be figured out within the confines of Cold Steel 1's own story.

Two years ago, the Bracer guildhouses in Erebonia were attacked, giving Osborne enough leeway to shut them down afterwards.

I have played them all. I suppose I never thought about that much because information from Sky SC and Sky the Third suggested that it was just Jester corps of the Jaegers who was responsible, and Campanella implied that he was the only Enforcer involved.. And admittedly by the time I learned in Chapter 4 that Sara is an ex-Bracer, the little scene in Chapter 3 where she suggests encountering Sharon two years ago wasn't really in the front of my mind, so I never connected those things.

Nate RFB posted:

Maybe so, but that's probably one of the first places I've seen that, so the comparison is inevitably going to come to my mind, especially when the dialogue seems to specifically invoke it. Right or wrong, I'm just saying that's what my personal first impression was. I've decided to delete the comment, it'll just draw unnecessary complaints.

Now that the game is finished, time to check out The Drama CD transcripts!

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jan 11, 2018

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Shocking twist

https://twitter.com/endlesshistory/status/951460147725062145

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

- The cultural emphasis the Japanese seem to place on forgiveness comes across as strange, even warped at times. Rean and his friends seem willing to want to talk C into going back to their side, apparently forgetting that C, as the ILF leader, is a mass-murderer. There were dead soldiers in Garrellia - soldiers the Thors students met and talked too - dead in bloody pools because of C's actions. C was planning to sacrifice Towa and who knows how many innocent people in his attempt to assassinate Osborne by railway cannon. C killed Osborne. Would Class VII really have just forgotten all that? Should they expect the others hurt in the ILF's schemes to just forgive and forget because Class VII personally likes who they thought C was?

Basically Osborne is kind of a giant annexing shitlord that has no qualms ruining people’s lives for the greater good, so there’s that. As for the rest, the railway cannon was basically meant to make Osborne look incompetent since they accounted for the blank missiles in the gun and being stopped since Sara and Neithart were supposed to be there.

But yeah, doesn’t excuse all the other actual deaths, which is why Crow basically tells them to just give up on him. In fairness all of this poo poo went down in, like, an ingame hour though.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Maybe so, but that's probably one of the first places I've seen that, so the comparison is inevitably going to come to my mind, especially when the dialogue seems to specifically invoke it. Right or wrong, I'm just saying that's what my personal first impression was.
Persona cribs, like, its entire premise from JoJo's Bizarre Adventure. It deserves virtually no bonus points for any perceived "originality".

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

Sorry for the CIA document, but well, final chapter, there's a lot of major spoilers.

Um... well... that was a shitload of plot stuff which just happened in Cold Steel 1 Chapter 7. Ha ha ha, I've seen fake-outs before, but this was a really well-done fake-out. I think I might have used up my Shining Pom bait too soon in Realm of the Great Shadow 3. I could have held onto that, but I don't see another 10 levels worth of XP in my future anyway.

Festival Stuff:
- I would have liked to have seen the play or heard the songs, but I guess there was no real way to do them justice without making it all take forever.

Something taking forever never stopped Falcom before, but I suspect that even after cutting the Ymir vacation intermission out of the game (if you haven't, already, check that one out on the Trails of Cold Steel II website) Falcom was working on a budget and that was the reason they used that particular song during the concert instead of composing three Original songs.

- Gwyn's VA sounds so sinister and sleazy. Well, I guess the later part is intentional, but probably not the former.

What's hilarious is probably that Gwyn is arguably the less creepy person of the two.

- Picked Alisa for the bonfire event. I heard that there's an additional person you could ask in NG+, who is that?

Picking Elise and Alfin. It doesn't show the actual dances on-screen, unfortunately, though the "cockblock-by-deathglare"-part makes up for that. In fact, I suggest YouTubing all the dance/chat scenes.

- I never would have picked that person as C, and that's even after the Steam Forums actually spoiled that person was shady for me. So I guess that can be called a twist that works, when you are expecting someone to be a traitor and still be shocked in the end.

Good to see that Steam discussion didn't completely spoil it. For a nice example of Falcom being a troll, watch the intro movie again. The hint of who that person is appears right before the shot of that person in costume. :)

- Still though, I kinda would have expected that different person, one who has faced a LOT of assassination attempts, to have taken better precautions. Then again, it was a really long shot. Probably a kilometer or so. Quite possible, but outside the expected range of the normal snipers. Also that different person suspected the traitor was a traitor and knew that person was still alive, so they should have been more careful.

Or normal sniper rifles for that matter. In the Chapter 6 ending, Sharon notes that the rifle used to blow up the ship was of unusual make. It's quite possibe that the rifle C used was more advanced than sniper rifles used by the army itself. As for the rest, you'll need to finish Cold Steel II in order to get some additional context here.

- I guess it does make sense how tanks are not a great counter to agile robots, they are meant to shoot other tanks, which are slow. Actually the real question I should ask is how the heck did giant FAST robots get designed, developed, tested, revamped, tested, and deployed from out of nowhere with NO ONE noticing this? That stuff should have taken a lot of work, experts, and resources to develop.

They weren't really designed as much as reverse-engineered from Crow's Divine Knight Ordine, which he found with Vita's help. The whole thing with the resources was what the Roer chapter was all about...the Soldats were created with the massive amount of iron ore that was smuggled from the mine. It takes a lot of experts, but the ones behind the creation were essentially a whole political faction with two sub-divisions of a mega-corp at their command. As for nobody noticing, that's where the ILF came in. As independant terrorists, their various acts didn't always make sense. As pawns of the Noble Faction, their primary purpose was kicking up unrest in Eastern Erebonia and on the border in order to hog the attention of the intelligence division so they would be too busy hunting terrorists to notice the construction of the Soldat forces in Western Erebonia.

- One twist which did NOT surprise me was that Clotilde is Ouroboros. I pegged her as an Enforcer from the first meeting in the hotel. I expected that shoe to drop that chapter. I didn't peg her quite as high as an Anguis, though.

Back when you commented on Star Door 14 in the 3rd, you already noted that "Pillar Number 2" was a female. It's probably worth rewatching that Door, though you might want to wait for Cold Steel II.

- I really, really liked Class VII sheepishly realizing that the instructors as a whole are way more badass than they could have possibly expected. It does help to put relative power into perspective. To that end, I also appreciated that taking on just one of the cheapest models was all Class VII could handle, it took their whole class, and the next stage up was impossible.

Yeah, the notion that other people on the continent are much, much stronger than you are is one of Kiseki's main schticks. Glad you like it because the next game will be stretching that notion either to or beyond its breaking point, depending on your mileage. :P

Well, the whole "no person is beyond redemption"-thing is one of the Trails games' main themes, though I admit C stretches that further than the society's child enforcers, who have blood on their hands, but were hosed-up minors, or Alan Richard, who was an adult but who nevertheless went out of his way to avoid collateral damage much more than C did. You should get used to it, because it's a returning theme in the sequel, even though the party doesn't go as far as to state C shouldn't face consequences for his actions.

That said, C wasn't going to sacrifice Towa. Before she escapes at the end of Chapter 5, Scarlet mentions that the party stopping the Railway Guns was actually what C predicted would happen...and C actively contributed to that result. This goes back to the ILF not being independant actors, but bankrolled by the Noble Faction. The attack on Garellia was partially to maintain the ILF's status as a top-priority target for the Intelligence Division to focus on instead of whatever coup preparations were made in the West and possibly also to weaken the Imperial Army divisions stationed there, who were loyal to Osborne's faction. Blowing up Orchis Tower wouldn't have been to the Noble Faction's benefit, since it's hard to instigate a coup and take control of the country when Remiferia, Liberl and Calvard are all waging war on you for murdering their heads of state. (who were also present at the conference)

I'll add that I was suspicious of Sharon from the moment of Alisa's Chapter 3 Bonding Event, to the point of suspecting she might be a boss fight. In fact, I still do not think that the matter is settled. In Chapter 6, After learning of Reinford's involvement with missing ore, it did not escape my notice that as Irina Reinford's secretary/aide, Sharon was in a perfect position to manipulate the information Irina sees. I think there's a very good chance that Sharon is responsible for arranging the creation of the 5th Division, or at least had a hand in hiding it from Irina.

Since Sara kept mentioning "that fight two years ago", it's widely assumed that Sharon and Sara were pieces in the proxy-war between Campanella and Cassius Bright two years ago and fought one another at some point. This is why Sara bears a grudge against Sharon, she holds her partially responsible for the decimation of the Guild. The games occasionally play this up for comedy on poor Sara, whose train of thought is probably like: "Okay, I hate this person for her part in ruining my previous employers, but holy poo poo the food and beer snacks she whips up are so goooooood, oh crap I'm conflicted.

Falcom apparantly answers a good deal of questions about Sharon in Cold Steel III.

Seven. I kind of like Rean's and Alisa's interactions.

Erpy fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Jan 11, 2018

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Neat I guess

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

That's kind of a surprise. Assuming NISA offered a switch-port as part of the deal from the start, it's easy to see why Falcom jumped ship to them instead of sticking with XSeed, who could only offer PC ports and non-lovely translations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Erpy posted:

Something taking forever never stopped Falcom before, but I suspect that even after cutting the Ymir vacation intermission out of the game (if you haven't, already, check that one out on the Trails of Cold Steel II website) Falcom was working on a budget and that was the reason they used that particular song during the concert instead of composing three Original songs.

That all makes sense. There are probably a bunch of practical reasons not to do that. (I read the Ymir vacation drama transcript this morning.)

quote:

What's hilarious is probably that Gwyn is arguably the less creepy person of the two.
True, Gwyn was not the one who mentioned their, uh, enjoyment of bondage to everyone in earshot.

quote:

Good to see that Steam discussion didn't completely spoil it. For a nice example of Falcom being a troll, watch the intro movie again. The hint of who that person is appears right before the shot of that person in costume. :)
I don't see what y-OH. Ohhh... That's cute. Took me a couple times to notice. I decided a while ago to always skip the intro and forget all the seemingly spoilery stuff it showed.

quote:

Or normal sniper rifles for that matter. In the Chapter 6 ending, Sharon notes that the rifle used to blow up the ship was of unusual make. It's quite possibe that the rifle C used was more advanced than sniper rifles used by the army itself. As for the rest, you'll need to finish Cold Steel II in order to get some additional context here.

I'll challenge the first part of your statement. Since at the end of Chapter 6, Claire captured the weapon left behind at the mine, so in theory, they should have had a month to study it, even test-fire it, and otherwise learn its capabilities. That said, I'm not foolish enough to just assume the victim is totally dead, never coming back. They are a highly skilled chessmaster, they clearly suspected who the assassin was, and they are certainly smart enough that they can figure out the same thing C figured out - no one will be looking for someone who everyone knows is already dead.

quote:

Well, the whole "no person is beyond redemption"-thing is one of the Trails games' main themes
Yes, that's fair, it was a big thing in Sky SC. I am partly speaking in terms of practicality, since well, crimes have been committed. Trainloads of them. Even if Class VII actually is able to forgive C, that's not enough to absolve them for punishment for everyone else who has been hurt and killed, and C knows that, so of course they would not be convinced by Rean's offer.

quote:

That said, C wasn't going to sacrifice Towa. Before she escapes at the end of Chapter 5, Scarlet mentions that the party stopping the Railway Guns was actually what C predicted would happen...and C actively contributed to that result.
That's a fair point, although I'm not convinced either way, since I just don't have a grasp on how much knowledge (Chapter 5) the ILF had on Garellia and its procedures, or how the ILF obtained their knowledge in the first place. So statements like "they obviously knew EXACTLY how much time they had to make it look the attempt to fire the guns convincing without appearing to be stalling" lack foundation, at least to me. But oh well, we're not going to learn more about that, so no point thinking about that anymore. EDIT: Actually, I think the most conclusive piece of evidence supporting your point is something which happens in the first 10 minutes of the game: Sara sees the railway guns coming out of the hangars and wonders how they prepped them so fast - and if the ILF was just planning on firing without aiming at a target. If the ILF was actually intending on trying to assassinate Osborne with the cannons, they would have to aim, which would have taken longer. But the guns didn't even move before they fired - they weren't trying to aim at all.

quote:

Since Sara kept mentioning [spoiler]"that fight two years ago", it's widely assumed that Sharon and Sara were pieces in the proxy-war between Campanella and Cassius Bright two years ago and fought one another at some point.
I kinda forgot about that comment by the time I learned Sara's story.

quote:

Seven. I kind of like Rean's and Alisa's interactions.
Yeah, I found those really enjoyable, and they're not just all repeating the same one note. I think they are a pretty good match. They're both caught between commoner and noble, but in different ways, they're both from the north, they both care very deeply for the welfare and well-being of their friends and family. And it doesn't hurt that pairing that they get the most mandatory scenes together.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Jan 12, 2018

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Zwei 1 is out on the 24th

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

That's a fair point, although I'm not convinced either way, since I just don't have a grasp on how much knowledge (Chapter 5) the ILF had on Garellia and its procedures, or how the ILF obtained their knowledge in the first place. So statements like "they obviously knew EXACTLY how much time they had to make it look the attempt to fire the guns convincing without appearing to be stalling" lack foundation, at least to me. But oh well, we're not going to learn more about that, so no point thinking about that anymore.

The ILF was completely backed by the Noble Alliance. For all intents and purposes, it was the Noble Alliance who attacked the fortress. So the how's and whys are all neatly covered by that.