Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I can't wait for the scene where Voq's plan, whatever it is, is successful and he goes to assume his rightful position again as leader of the ultra race purists, all the while looking, and for all intents and purposes, being completely human.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Problems have already been caused! Even if the Voq persona is dormant or lost, the muscle memory is clearly still there. Tyler straight up murdered Culber and skedaddled. If I’m being honest, I foresee this as leading to Tyler having to learn to control his Klingon side or some such stupid poo poo while inexplicably keeping his job.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
Ooh! I've got it! I bet I know how this story gets resolved.

Voq kills Lorca as part of the ending to the season.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

FlamingLiberal posted:

Klingons didn’t have crazy huge skulls in the DS9 version

I’m more interested in how they got Tyler’s personality into his head

Well, even if they did, it'd be way easier for humans to have large skull prosthetics than for Klingons to jam their head organs (look I don't know what all those crazy space orcs have up there) into a smaller skull.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
If I am ever in charge of designing a futuristic medical system, I am going to make it so that the commanding officer is notified immediately of irregularities in anyone's brain scans. Better to deal with the occasional false alarm than to worry about a doctor who falls for the "I'm really ok, I promise" line.

withak fucked around with this message at 23:45 on Jan 10, 2018

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Ooh! I've got it! I bet I know how this story gets resolved.

Voq kills Lorca as part of the ending to the season.

I’ll accept it, but only if Burnham surgically converts herself into an albino Klingon pursuant to a season-long plot to infiltrate Voq’s ship, seduce him and take revenge.

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

Well, even if they did, it'd be way easier for humans to have large skull prosthetics than for Klingons to jam their head organs (look I don't know what all those crazy space orcs have up there) into a smaller skull.

Well we know from humans with severe brain damange (huge missing parts) that it's still possible to function normally. So I guess you could argue away such issues with ~future tech~, maybe even say that the "information" in Klingon brains can be compressed down into human skulls (maybe Klingon brains dedicate huge parts to low level stuff that's not needed for a human body?).
The "real" problem isn't really the brain size or what gets put into which body, the "amazing" part is that you can read and write the consciousness of someone at all but this isn't new to Trek though the implications of this are gigantic (and have always been ignored, at least mostly, sometimes they do deal with certain aspects/consequences of such technology).

withak posted:

If I am ever in charge of designing a futuristic medical system, I am going to make it so that the commanding officer is notified immediately of irregularities in anyone's brain scans. Better to deal with the occasional false alarm than to worry about a doctor who falls for the "I'm really ok, I promise" line.

To be fair, they did say that he was scanned for an implanted personality, just the other way around.

LinkesAuge fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Jan 10, 2018

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

skasion posted:

Voq wants to get revenge on Kol and presumably take over where T’Kuvma left off. I assume he was placed on the Discovery to steal it or at least the spore drive technology so that he can seize back the pride of place in the war effort from Kol. If he has any more concrete motivation, I can’t recall it.

At the moment though, he obviously doesn’t know what he is supposed to be doing.

e: surprised at all the hate for Ash in this thread tbh. He’s one of the only characters for whom the show successfully builds any pathos. Yeah it’s all PTSD cliches, but compared to whatever crap they are trying to pull with any other character it’s downright masterful.
Kol is undergoing a hero's journey. He's in the belly of the beast right now, and also saving the princess.

LinkesAuge posted:

Well we know from humans with severe brain damange (huge missing parts) that it's still possible to function normally.
No. What is true is that there are people with abnormally small, or misdeveloped, brains who are functional and largely cognitively normal. But this is either being born without e.g. one hemisphere, or losing a chunk (such as a hemisphere) while still very young, or because a very slow process damages the brain (due to e.g. cancer). If an adult experiences sudden severe brain damage, there will be consequences.

LinkesAuge posted:

The "real" problem isn't really the brain size or what gets put into which body, the "amazing" part is that you can read and write the consciousness
We have absolutely no idea about the consciousness involved. What we observe is memories, personality, language skills, and perhaps values .

LinkesAuge posted:

To be fair, they did say that he was scanned for an implanted personality, just the other way around.
The claim concerned a very specific constellation: that there was an implanted personality hidden below his current surface persona. This could be excluded - leaving of course open that his surface persona is the one that's been implanted.

NarkyBark
Dec 7, 2003

one funky chicken
Him being literally Voq (ie his body) is dumb. They should've just stuck to some kidnapped starfleet dude who they overwrote the personality on, as goofy as that is it would've been much more believable as we have precedent for that (ST3). It just doesn't make sense to have him be the actual Voq, from the obvious physical problems, organ compression, to DNA, blah blah. AND throw on that the klingons now appear to be race purists on top of it (I was going to throw in "and they just consider bodies shells anyways" but remembered that doesn't apply in this show). Just a poor writing decision that really wasn't necessary.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Why are we not assuming that Klingon skulls are like 50% solid bone, considering how hosed up and violent they are? Just shave most of that away and you end up with a normal comparatively egg-like human skull.

Tyler being in Voq's body is kinda silly, but not much more silly than a ton of stuff in Star Trek. I'm willing to roll with it, especially since they said, "We knew you had a bunch of scarring and poo poo, but we assumed you'd just been really hosed up by the Klingons." That's enough of a hand-wave to me in a setting where "rewriting genetics" is apparently a thing.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Ash's terrible in-uniform neckbeard is the worst crime of all.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

NarkyBark posted:

Him being literally Voq (ie his body) is dumb. They should've just stuck to some kidnapped starfleet dude who they overwrote the personality on, as goofy as that is it would've been much more believable as we have precedent for that (ST3).

But they can scan for that

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Captain Hygiene posted:

But they can scan for that

They can scan for being a Klingon as well. Source: this episode, where they scan him for being a Klingon

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

SpeakSlow posted:

From what im seeing, Discovery could benefit from occasional "Hey, Time Has Passed" bumps as individual episodes progress. Ham handed as that sounds.

They did do a whole montage of re-painting the ship, issue uniforms, and so forth.

mycomancy
Oct 16, 2016

The Bloop posted:

Truly the gooniest.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

skasion posted:

They can scan for being a Klingon as well. Source: this episode, where they scan him for being a Klingon

I was kidding, the made-up reasoning supporting either way doesn't really bother me. Having his take personality be the more decent one that he wants to keep seems like a more interesting story possibility, though.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

The Bloop posted:

But his shoes have a gold stripe on them to match the rest of his uniform. Starfleet Stylefleet!

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Really the whole "Welcome back from your months of torture on the brink of death. Why don't you go ahead and take the rest of the day off, you start as head of security in the morning" thing is the cause of most of their impending problems.

Phobeste
Apr 9, 2006

never, like, count out Touchdown Tom, man
Tyler looks exactly like someone I know and it freaks me out sometimes

Also Man do I hate the stupid mirror universe. Not thrilled to have like 8 more episodes in it

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Phobeste posted:

Tyler looks exactly like someone I know and it freaks me out sometimes

Have you ever done any voiceover work?

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

NarkyBark posted:

At some point Voq will have to snap back in control and cause a bunch of problems. There's really no point to his character otherwise.

I was going to make a joke about him already snapping back once, but I think it would be more interesting if it was actually the human personality that consciously did the snapping.

Also, please don't kill off Captain Jason Issacs, he's the only charismatic member of the crew.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

counterfeitsaint posted:

I can't wait for the scene where Voq's plan, whatever it is, is successful and he goes to assume his rightful position again as leader of the ultra race purists, all the while looking, and for all intents and purposes, being completely human.
Voq Bigsby, the Human Klingon supremacist.

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.

withak posted:

I've been rewatching TNG, and it's really satisfying how often an episode will start with something seemingly innocuous like someone having bad dreams, and then they'll report it and Picard will immediately order full medical scans and get Data checking for anything on the ship that could be causing it, and just generally go to full alert. It's nice that they realize "Yeah, weird poo poo happens all the time, we've got to be on our guard, my officers aren't going to mention it if it it's not important."

upgunned shitpost
Jan 21, 2015

gonna be so out of left field when voq decides to take on the mantle of rebel leader in the mirror universe, cuz being a human taught him how to love

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Angry Salami posted:

I've been rewatching TNG, and it's really satisfying how often an episode will start with something seemingly innocuous like someone having bad dreams, and then they'll report it and Picard will immediately order full medical scans and get Data checking for anything on the ship that could be causing it, and just generally go to full alert. It's nice that they realize "Yeah, weird poo poo happens all the time, we've got to be on our guard, my officers aren't going to mention it if it it's not important."

Cause and Effect was great for that with Crusher hearing voices.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

With regard to the whys and hows of Voq/Tyler: they don't give a gently caress.

I have to say though that Jason Isaacs is shining as usual. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him on instead of icing him as was probably planned.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 11, 2018

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Arglebargle III posted:

I have to say though that Jason Isaacs is shining as usual. I wouldn't be surprised if they keep him on instead of icing him as was probably planned.

I really, really hope they keep him on. Lorca is an rear end in a top hat but Jason Isaacs is entertaining as hell.

Also a pro follow on Twitter.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

It's nice to see him in a heroic role after he's been typecast as a villain for so long.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
The Voq thing and Jason Isaacs being a mirror universe guy are the biggest indicators that this is the original story from when they wanted it to be an anthology.
They can't really drag it out, Stamets isn't going to carry on jumping...just what will series 2 of this ential?

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.

The_Doctor posted:

Have you ever done any voiceover work?

:golfclap:

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I really want the Discovery Revisited docu/tell all book that will come out in 10 years time so we can finally hear about all the behind the camera shenanigans, gently caress ups, ‘yeah that’ll do’ moments.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

So I'm watching ep10, about 10 mins in, Lorca walks into medbay to check on Stamens after the hosed jump.

and for this whole loving scene he has this big black loving nose hair just dangling there.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Pound_Coin posted:

So I'm watching ep10, about 10 mins in, Lorca walks into medbay to check on Stamens after the hosed jump.

and for this whole loving scene he has this big black loving nose hair just dangling there.

Goddamnit.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Gonz posted:

Mirror SA exists in a universe where Smashmouth actually ate those fuckin’ eggs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HSDODOsJuyc

Smashmouth did eat the eggs, though.

https://youtu.be/fZpalrgV-x4

Gonz posted:

Wait, he ate the eggs?!? How the hell did I miss that?

Took a nap, probably?

Anyway, this is from a few pages back, but what is the optimum ratio of Plot Armor to Bury Your Gays? Where is the sweet spot so that gays in media are (seen as being, at any rate) treated the same as straights with regard to death/injury?

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Drone posted:

I really, really hope they keep him on. Lorca is an rear end in a top hat but Jason Isaacs is entertaining as hell.

Also a pro follow on Twitter.

The big problem is that Isaacs is legit high end movie level talent and will cost a significant amount of money to keep on a weekly basis. If he isn't locked into a multi year contract already then his price is only gonna go up.

(Granted, you could say the same about Patrick Stewart, but I'm not sure how high his stock was before TNG.)

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Murderion posted:

The big problem is that Isaacs is legit high end movie level talent and will cost a significant amount of money to keep on a weekly basis. If he isn't locked into a multi year contract already then his price is only gonna go up.

(Granted, you could say the same about Patrick Stewart, but I'm not sure how high his stock was before TNG.)

Not very. Most people who watched TNG had probably never heard of him before — British watchers might have remembered him from Fall of Eagles or I, Claudius, but it would have been his first lead role to make it big in America. The LA Times called him an “unknown Shakespearean” at the time. However, he still made quite a lot of money on it — something like 50k/episode. Isn’t much compared to say, the leads on Game of Thrones but at the time it was probably a solid chunk of their per episode budget.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Anyway, this is from a few pages back, but what is the optimum ratio of Plot Armor to Bury Your Gays? Where is the sweet spot so that gays in media are (seen as being, at any rate) treated the same as straights with regard to death/injury?

I read once that once you start having three or more black leads on a show, you reach a tipping point in the general viewing consciousness where the show goes from being a show with black characters to being a "black show" -- despite the show having nothing essentially to do with the blackness or the African American experience. e.g. Sleepy Hollow

So I'd argue we'd need to reach a point where more shows pass that bar for queer characters, particularly with regard to having queer leads, and a willingness to show same sex intimacy (particularly between men) with the same casual presentation (and logical frequency) that opposite sex intimacy gets demonstrated. This would then have to continue to occur and continue to occur over a number of years in order to develop a standard. Once this has finally happened, the perceived need for LGBT characters to survive would be eliminated, because of the relative paucity and infrequency of their appearances would have itself been eliminated.

i.e waaaay more queer characters in prominent roles than there are now, over a period of at least five years, though probably longer.

But if you really want to start killing queer characters off right now (probably not a great idea tbh), my logic is that you'd need two to three other queer characters of equal or greater prominence in the cast.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The Walking Dead had like 5 main black characters for part of one season before they started killing them off.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Open Source Idiom posted:

I read once that once you start having three or more black leads on a show, you reach a tipping point in the general viewing consciousness where the show goes from being a show with black characters to being a "black show" -- despite the show having nothing essentially to do with the blackness or the African American experience. e.g. Sleepy Hollow

So I'd argue we'd need to reach a point where more shows pass that bar for queer characters, particularly with regard to having queer leads, and a willingness to show same sex intimacy (particularly between men) with the same casual presentation (and logical frequency) that opposite sex intimacy gets demonstrated. This would then have to continue to occur and continue to occur over a number of years in order to develop a standard. Once this has finally happened, the perceived need for LGBT characters to survive would be eliminated, because of the relative paucity and infrequency of their appearances would have itself been eliminated.

i.e waaaay more queer characters in prominent roles than there are now, over a period of at least five years, though probably longer.

But if you really want to start killing queer characters off right now (probably not a great idea tbh), my logic is that you'd need two to three other queer characters of equal or greater prominence in the cast.

Makes sense.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Walking Dead had like 5 main black characters for part of one season before they started killing them off.

I don't remember this, but perhaps that's because none of them were in particularly prominent roles? I only remember T-Dog, and replacement T-Dog. And Sonequa Martin-Green. None of which were super prominent compared to some of the leads (Glenn being the famous example) and most of which weren't really on the show at the same time.

Like, if Lori and Andrea and Shane were black, then that'd be more like what I'm talking about.

Open Source Idiom fucked around with this message at 15:51 on Jan 11, 2018