Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me

peanut- posted:

I don't want a more sensible Christmas schedule, games every 2 days rounded off by sending everyone to get kicked by league 2 teams playing in the biggest game of their career was fun.

I agree - it's the likes of Wenger and Guardiola whining about it while happily rolling around in the TV money pile who want telling...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ballers...I put numbers on the boards

Manc Hill posted:

The Christmas schedule was clearly altered even more than usual for TV - Sky were running ads in the run up bragging about how they had the most games on TV over Christmas ever this year. Some of the rounds were spread over 4 days with 6 or 7 games shown - there is no way they can fit that into one day without showing them at the same time - which means less viewers. I'm sure even Sky realise that most people will not watch football non-stop from dawn til dusk - better to spread it out over a few days for maximum viewing figures.

The broader point is that if people want a more sensible Christmas schedule, then it surely means less games on TV and therefore less TV money.

It probably would get fewer viewers, but do they really care about that in a one off situation where they're still getting huge audiences anyway? Other than advertisement money (not sure what proportion of Sky/BT's revenue this makes up), it shouldn't affect things that much as people are still paying their subs.

They could definitely have an early game, one at 5.30 and a late one, like that Saturday before Christmas, which is only one game fewer than was on TV out of that round this season. I assume the 3pm blackout in the UK still applies on Boxing Day?

I'm not saying they're going to do this, just an idea that might work.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
I -think- the 3pm blackout only applies to Saturdays but I could be wrong.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ninpo posted:

I -think- the 3pm blackout only applies to Saturdays but I could be wrong.

I'm not sure if it counts for Boxing Day, but I don't I can remember 3pm games being on UK Tv on that day before. There wasn't any this year, as far as i remember and it was a Tuesday.

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Cursory Googling only seems to mention Saturdays :shrug:

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

United have apparently put in a £25m bid for Alexis.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Shrapnig posted:

His motivation is to win major honours so doubt he’ll be going there somehow :allears:

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA
2026 tá logo aí
how will sheikh mansour ever come up with five million pounds?????????

Manc Hill
Jul 19, 2001

^^this is u ^^this is me
the rumour is Micky going the other way as part of the deal... swap deals never happen but he would fit in perfectly at Arsenal.

Mickolution
Oct 1, 2005

Ninpo posted:

Cursory Googling only seems to mention Saturdays :shrug:

I think Boxing Day counts as a Saturday in relation to this, as I don't think they've ever shown 3pm kickoffs on that day. Not that I can remember, at least.

I could be wrong, but I would guess the rule is something to do with whenever there's a full round of games throughout the divisions, maybe?

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Shrapnig posted:

I’m so glad arsenal showed everyone and made Alexis stay for another four months.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mkhitaryan coming the other way would make things more interesting and in the end could be good if he ever plays as well as he did at dortmund

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Loving Africa Chaps posted:

Mkhitaryan coming the other way would make things more interesting and in the end could be good if he ever plays as well as he did at dortmund

I'm sure this player swap deal, like all other rumoured player swap deals, is definitely real and will happen

greazeball
Feb 4, 2003

Shrapnig posted:

Everybody should, what squad wouldn't he improve and what better player could anyone get for that price? And you destabilise Arsenal while driving up the price for City.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
They've actually done it

https://twitter.com/Arsenal/status/951469542387134465

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Lmao this is great

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

He hasn't played a game in ages and the fee is wayyyy more than he's worth, nbd to be honest

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

greazeball posted:

Everybody should, what squad wouldn't he improve and what better player could anyone get for that price? And you destabilise Arsenal while driving up the price for City.

It’s probably more destabilising for Arsenal to keep hold of these wantaway players that are running their contracts down rather than selling them and being forced to buy replacements.

Ciprian Maricon
Feb 27, 2006

Remember when coquelin showed great quality before Wenger ruined him and shipped him off to Spain?

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Vegetable posted:

He hasn't played a game in ages and the fee is wayyyy more than he's worth, nbd to be honest

He played 2 weeks ago

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.

tarbrush posted:

I do love that Arsene's answer to concerns about squad size and motivation is to sell one of his more useful and loyal players.

Classic Arsenal. Can't wait to see who else we sell with no buys. Also Arsene has played Elneny (twice) and Coquelin (once) at CB this year due to lack of depth in the central defense, so it's good to see that area of the pitch get thinned out more.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

Libertine posted:

Classic Arsenal. Can't wait to see who else we sell with no buys. Also Arsene has played Elneny (twice) and Coquelin (once) at CB this year due to lack of depth in the central defense, so it's good to see that area of the pitch get thinned out more.

They signed that young greek CB who I'm guessing will fulfill the role of 6th choice CB as a Elneny/Coq replacement.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Ainsley Maitland-Niles is apparently slated to replace Coquelin in the midfield.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Vegetable posted:

£12m seems like a fair price for him?

IMO he should have been getting more playing time, and Arsenal are already looking short of quality in midfield. At the moment Xhaka, Elneny, and Maitland Niles (who has never played a premier league match in the center of midfield) are the only healthy midfielders. And Now I guess we’re short at fullback?

greazeball posted:

I get the impression that his wage demands are really astronomical, and he is 29 so clubs may be put off to the extent he’s looking for a long term contract. It is still surprising more teams aren’t in for him, though.

blue footed boobie fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Jan 11, 2018

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blimey, doesn't seem that long ago he was at Udinese being raved about.

fake edit: loving hell that was nearly 10 years ago :stare:

UnlimitedSpessmans
Jul 31, 2015

UnderFreddy posted:

They signed that young greek CB who I'm guessing will fulfill the role of 6th choice CB as a Elneny/Coq replacement.

he was immediately shipped out on loan lol

edit: turns out im loving retarded and gay
and also wrong about this post.

UnlimitedSpessmans fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Jan 11, 2018

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!
looks like arsenal are keeping that greek kid rather than loaning to werder or wherever

Bea Nanner fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Jan 11, 2018

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

UnlimitedSpessmans posted:

he was immediately shipped out on loan lol

edit: turns out im loving retarded and gay
and also wrong about this post.

Wengy immediately said he was going out on loan because he was angry they gave the new scout a fancy new title, but then he actually had a look at the kid and decided to keep him.

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
The kid was scouted by the new guy rather than Wenger? That’s very promising.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Bacon Terrorist posted:

The kid was scouted by the new guy rather than Wenger? That’s very promising.

Supposedly the Greek kid and Malcolm are the new guy’s picks. Ornstein said Sanchez will go if Arsenal can find a replacement, and their primary target is Malcolm, so I guess that’s real.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

blue footed boobie posted:

Supposedly the Greek kid and Malcolm are the new guy’s picks. Ornstein said Sanchez will go if Arsenal can find a replacement, and their primary target is Malcolm, so I guess that’s real.

Malcom, its easy to remember because it rhymes with Jordom

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Blue Star Error posted:

Jordon

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Blue Star Error posted:

Malcom Douglas

Bea Nanner
Oct 20, 2003

Je suis excité!

blue footed boobie posted:

life is unfair

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
To be fair the way Wenger is doing things at the moment the new guy could bring in Lionel Messi’s regen and Wenger would still ruin him.

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Wenger has always stated that he's vehemently against any kind of Messi-style regen.

Blue Star Error
Jun 11, 2001

For this recipie you will need:
Football match (Halftime of), Celebrity Owner (Motivational speaking of), Sherry (Bottle of)

Shrapnig posted:

Wenger has always stated that he's vehemently against any kind of Messi-style regen.

You're thinking of Glenn Hoddle

Ninpo
Aug 6, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Star Error posted:

You're thinking of Glenn Hoddle

loving lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eau de MacGowan
May 12, 2009

BRASIL HEXA