Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mein Kampf Enthusiast posted:

Aside from space-folding, do they even have engines or do they literally just fold to a spot in orbit and hang out there without moving at all?

I get the impression that the huge ships only fold. They're just to big for anything else to be useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Also in the first book there is a part where Gurney's men just landed from space travel and are complaining about the gravity feeling heavy. So I would assume they travel for a while in space based on that.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G
Travel is definitely not instantaneous. yueh tells Paul that he'd have time to study and read the bible during the trip to Arrakis. Also, the spacing guild beings use melange to achieve a small prescience to avoid stars and space debris I guess, so they're subject to natural physics I guess.

God I know too much about this dumb book.

Listen to Tinarwin, light a spice cigarette and read some dune.

Mussel With Muscles
Apr 18, 2002
I read books 5 & 6 (heretics of Dune, Chapterhouse Dune) in Catholic middle school and found "that part," you know the one - where someone (I won't spoil it just in case) is shown the Honored Matre sex techniques, designed to be so hot that they make you into their slave. I read it, then immediately showed it to the next kid. It was something like 2-3 pages of graphic sex, and that book got passed around to everyone in school. I distinctly remember one girl classmate reading it, then looking confused and asking, "what's an erection?"

That little section of the book got folded back so many times that if you flip through it today, it stops right at the big sex scene. I was proud to contribute to the education of the entire school that day. God bless, dirty old Frank Herbert.

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
lol@ the sausage imagery in that scene

JohnnySavs
Dec 28, 2004

I have all the characteristics of a human being.

Oscar Wild posted:

Travel is definitely not instantaneous. yueh tells Paul that he'd have time to study and read the bible during the trip to Arrakis.

I took that to include all the "get ships and material loaded and secured on the highliner, wait for the guild to do whatever nonsense they do between folds, and the reverse once you fold" time. Plus whatever side trips the highliner makes on the way; the relocation of a major house being just another contract to the guild.

Testikles
Feb 22, 2009
Might be possible that it is a little of both: they can fold space only so far and need to make small successive jumps. Might explain the prescience so they don't jump into a star or debris sitting on the other side.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

Testikles posted:

Might be possible that it is a little of both: they can fold space only so far and need to make small successive jumps. Might explain the prescience so they don't jump into a star or debris sitting on the other side.

That's what I usually imagined. They travel at translight speeds, but there's still a vector. I think maybe "fold-space" was not literal in the Dune universe, as it would be if we were talking about astrophysics.

Maybe it was his short service in the navy in WW2 or maybe he just liked boats, but it was also cool how the Guild ships were purely off-planet. Built in whatever shapes their architects desired, the downside was that they had to be built in space and couldn't enter a planet's atmosphere without breaking apart from their massive weight. Solution? Frigates and "lighters" just like the kind the old explorers would use to land on beaches while their ships were anchored in the distance. A nice little colonial motif, one of those details that made Herbert's stuff stand out among his contemporaries.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Communist Walrus posted:

I like how Frank Herbert has his own font

Now you can have it too!

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

phasmid posted:

That's what I usually imagined. They travel at translight speeds, but there's still a vector. I think maybe "fold-space" was not literal in the Dune universe, as it would be if we were talking about astrophysics.

Maybe it was his short service in the navy in WW2 or maybe he just liked boats, but it was also cool how the Guild ships were purely off-planet. Built in whatever shapes their architects desired, the downside was that they had to be built in space and couldn't enter a planet's atmosphere without breaking apart from their massive weight. Solution? Frigates and "lighters" just like the kind the old explorers would use to land on beaches while their ships were anchored in the distance. A nice little colonial motif, one of those details that made Herbert's stuff stand out among his contemporaries.

:yeah!

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

Aw gently caress yeah, thanks pal

Sten Freak
Sep 10, 2008

Despite all of these shortcomings, the Sten still has a long track record of shooting people right in the face.
College Slice
Bought Dune because of this thread and reading it for the first time.

We had a ton of sci fi that we got at a garage sale but Dune wasn't in there so I never got to it. Half way in and it's great.

Amazon's cheap Dune paperback is really narrow which sucks as a book to hold but whatever.

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

Sten Freak posted:

We had a ton of sci fi that we got at a garage sale but Dune wasn't in there so I never got to it. Half way in and it's great.

Amazon's cheap Dune paperback is really narrow which sucks as a book to hold but whatever.

At least it isn't printed on shigawire. That poo poo is deadly.

spinderella
Jul 15, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Sten Freak posted:

This is so cool.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Oscar Wild posted:

At least it isn't printed on shigawire. That poo poo is deadly.

Or ridulian crystal paper! Its very heavy!

ultrabindu
Jan 28, 2009
https://yadi.sk/i/kciUCmMSiRhHS

This is the longest cut of the De Laurentiis Dune. There's some interesting stuff here. But hoo boy there's no saving that film.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

ultrabindu posted:

https://yadi.sk/i/kciUCmMSiRhHS

This is the longest cut of the De Laurentiis Dune. There's some interesting stuff here. But hoo boy there's no saving that film.

I watched the first hour of some insanely long fan cut and I think a lot of the stuff that was cut should have stayed cut. The one I watched was a lot better edited than the one you linked, though, which jumps all over the drat place. The original theatrical cut is excellent if you've read the books; the stuff that was cut tries to explain things you'd need to know if you hadn't read the books, but it fucks up the flow.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

FYI you should NOT watch the extended cut. It actually makes things worse, which is why Alan Smithee is the director instead of lynch. The theatrical cut is what you should watch unless you've reached that point of being a Dune fanboy that you can tolerate the fact the extra scenes make the movie so much worse, yet you want to see them anyway.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Swan stole my music and framed me!
The theatrical cut is far and away the best although some of the cut scenes are amazing, such as the baby worm vending machine.

The voiceover narration in the Smithee version sounds like Wilford Brimley doing an oats commercial.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I always took folding space and shield tech to be different sides of a different coin. They make use of the holtzmann effect, and though i dont recall it ever being said explicitly, where it's used to fold space, it's also used to thicken and increase the space between an object wearing the field and other other objects outside it.

This is also why something like a lazgun will go nuclear when it hits a shield, the particles emitted by the lazgun hit the holtzmann field at such a high speed that it essentially causes particles to shatter, causing a fission/fusion reaction

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

moller posted:

The theatrical cut is far and away the best although some of the cut scenes are amazing, such as the baby worm vending machine.

As I posted above I agree 100% that the theatrical version is best but if you could tell me where to find the baby worm vending machine... goddamn.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Pham Nuwen posted:

As I posted above I agree 100% that the theatrical version is best but if you could tell me where to find the baby worm vending machine... goddamn.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ti2rs0Vbw4&t=32s

YMMV, but I still think the fremen totally look like they're waiting impatiently for the coffee to brew.

EDIT: Also, burpin' the worm.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The movie also bothers me because of how it portrays the fremen. Yes on the one end they are desert dwelling people who live a primitive, subsistence lifestyle out of necessity, but there's never the implication of the vast amount of wealth they have. Even something like the fremkit paul and jessica use to flee in the book is entirely absent. The fremkits alone imply a wealthy and even advanced industrial culture hidden out in the desert.

The movie and the miniseries plays them for religious fanatic bedouins and that sucks.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

basic hitler posted:

FYI you should NOT watch the extended cut. It actually makes things worse, which is why Alan Smithee is the director instead of lynch. The theatrical cut is what you should watch unless you've reached that point of being a Dune fanboy that you can tolerate the fact the extra scenes make the movie so much worse, yet you want to see them anyway.

Thufir's death scene should have never been cut and I will die on this hill.

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

moller posted:

EDIT: Also, burpin' the worm.

Paul was pretty embarrassed when Duncan caught him "burping the worm" on the trip from Caladan.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Pham Nuwen posted:

Paul was pretty embarrassed when Duncan caught him "burping the worm" on the trip from Caladan.

Paul's looking at that goop he's about to drink like the hero in this scene

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'
this thread has made me realise i should sit down and actually read dune cover to cover

i haven't really done it before because my father and my grandmother were huge dune fanatics. i don't mean this in a bad way, i mean this in the sense that i basically knew everything about dune from a very young age. one of my first memories is my grandmother teaching me to read with dune and her intoning in this intense way 'you'll need all of your faculties to meet my gom jabbar'. similarly, my grandmother played dune 2 over and over and over again and the music is stuck in my brain.

similarly, i've known for most of my life that the brain herbert books are apparently terrible

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Milky Moor posted:

this thread has made me realise i should sit down and actually read dune cover to cover

i haven't really done it before because my father and my grandmother were huge dune fanatics. i don't mean this in a bad way, i mean this in the sense that i basically knew everything about dune from a very young age. one of my first memories is my grandmother teaching me to read with dune and her intoning in this intense way 'you'll need all of your faculties to meet my gom jabbar'. similarly, my grandmother played dune 2 over and over and over again and the music is stuck in my brain.

similarly, i've known for most of my life that the brain herbert books are apparently terrible

My father was like this. In the early 90s I was logged onto AOL for the first time unsupervised and i scared the gently caress out of an adult man under the moniker of Paul Atreides because I wanted to talk to him about Dune.

Of course I knew about dune from games and the movie, i would be around 13 or 14 when i finally read it.

There's a reason your family are dune fanatics. there truly is nothing quite like it in all sci-fi. It stands alone and it dares to discuss things most authors don't have the balls or mental capacity to even try at.

Herbert was no prophet and he had problematic views, but he was unquestionably an excellent author.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
If you have already read Dune or read it multiples of times, then watched the normal cut of Dune, there is no reason to avoid the uber omega retarded fan cut 3.5 hour version of the Dune movie. Just watch it. There will forever be arguments of what makes the best version of the Dune movie, but why not watch it all as a book reader. It's not like you won't want to see all the poo poo they filmed.

I for one think it is a severely crippled interesting sort-of slightly masterpiece in some ways. Have I qualified it enough? Basically, Dune is hard to adapt and I give them credit for attempting. Bonus points for dope set/costume design. It was the 80s, after all, what better could we expect? Also, I love anything David Lynch, even if he has vocally discredited his involvement.

Damo fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Jan 13, 2018

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

at this point i just want to see the unfinished effects shots and stuff allegedly destroyed.

De Laurentiis said during an interview that the extended cut contained absolutely everything that was usable, but there was still some hour+ of effects shots they either didn't have the money or resources to complete or was in such bad shape as to basically be unusable. That's what i want to see, the mythical 4 hour cut.

Damo
Nov 8, 2002

The second-generation Pontiac Sunbird, introduced by the automaker for the 1982 model year as the J2000, was built to be an inexpensive and fuel-efficient front-wheel-drive commuter car capable of seating five.

Offensive Clock
This thread makes me feel bad I never read past DUNE and like, the first 75 pages of DUNE MESSIAH (I read it right after DUNE but got bored). Should I really go back? Should I dive back into this poo poo I haven't thought about reading since I was like 17 years old, thread? Is it really worth it?

I think not. But I will take your opinions.

Either way, I will definitely not read Herbert's son's poo poo. I'm talking about reading Frank's poo poo to the end and calling it quits.

I guess, at the least, I could read DUNE again. I know that is a good book, for sure.

Turmoil
Jun 27, 2000

Forum Veteran

Young Urchin

Sten Freak posted:

Picked up the first 6 books for the Kindle just before Christmas and stumbled across this thread shortly after I started reading the first book.

Finished Dune earlier in the week and started on Dune Messiah right afterwards.
I liked the first book and have enjoyed what I've read of the second book so far.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I highly recommend Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, and I hold God Emperor in as much esteem as Dune itself.

At least try an audiobook. Audible gives you a free credit or two for audiobooks and its an easy way to get through some of dune on the cheap

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

basic hitler posted:

I highly recommend Dune Messiah and Children of Dune, and I hold God Emperor in as much esteem as Dune itself.

At least try an audiobook. Audible gives you a free credit or two for audiobooks and its an easy way to get through some of dune on the cheap

I’m reading God Emperor for the first time in years thanks to this thread and yeah, it’s really good.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

basic hitler posted:

My father was like this. In the early 90s I was logged onto AOL for the first time unsupervised and i scared the gently caress out of an adult man under the moniker of Paul Atreides because I wanted to talk to him about Dune.

Of course I knew about dune from games and the movie, i would be around 13 or 14 when i finally read it.

There's a reason your family are dune fanatics. there truly is nothing quite like it in all sci-fi. It stands alone and it dares to discuss things most authors don't have the balls or mental capacity to even try at.

Herbert was no prophet and he had problematic views, but he was unquestionably an excellent author.

yeah, absolutely. i've thought the world of dune is just the coolest thing ever since i was a kid. i'd just never read the books. like, i knew the words maud'dib and shai-hulud before i was in primary school.

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

He was the kind of writer who put his views into his work, but I'm curious what about him is so "problematic"?

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

phasmid posted:

He was the kind of writer who put his views into his work, but I'm curious what about him is so "problematic"?

He was an awful, bad father to his gay son and while i can't correlate that since he was no saint to Brian either, his views on homosexuality are there to be found in his books, as his views of women.

BONGHITZ
Jan 1, 1970

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Thufir's death scene should have never been cut and I will die on this hill.

totally agreed.

moller
Jan 10, 2007

Maybe they cut Freddie Jones dying because he would look like a community theater player next to Brad Dourif dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

basic hitler posted:

He was an awful, bad father to his gay son and while i can't correlate that since he was no saint to Brian either, his views on homosexuality are there to be found in his books, as his views of women.

Ah. I had read people saying this before but I don't know much about how he treated his sons, or their lives really, except that his gay son was a rights advocate of some importance. Personally, I really don't get that from his books. There's even a part where Idaho sees two women kissing and it pisses him off, while Leto is amused at his close-mindedness. As far as women go, once again, I've heard of people who had some kind of objection but I just figure that men don't write convincing women at all - women don't often write convincing men, either.

Just because he wrote about how war causes vitality in people doesn't mean he liked war, after all. Just my two cents.