Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shockeh
Feb 24, 2009

Now be a dear and
fuck the fuck off.
I always assumed Vykos has just dispensed the concept altogether, and a more masculine or feminine look at any given time is just entirely aesthetic, and doesn’t mean anything to xer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Attorney at Funk posted:

I once had an argument with someone who kept trying to use 'it' as the gender-neutral pronoun for all vampires, period.
They probably wanted the argument more than anything else.

Even if they're the quadruple secret evil Hitler centrists or whatever, there's no need to be rude.

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Are any of the fiction books worth reading and which ones? I remember some discussion in the thread.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

crime fighting hog posted:

Are any of the fiction books worth reading and which ones? I remember some discussion in the thread.

Horror Recognition Guide, the vampire clanbooks, Secrets of the Covenants and Testament of Longinus are all real fun.

e: also, Intruders.

Mors Rattus fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 11, 2018

neaden
Nov 4, 2012

A changer of ways
I like the anthologies, but be aware that a lot of the fiction appeared in other books first. If you don't have a big 1e collection I think Fallen World anthology and God Machine anthology are the best two.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Kurieg posted:

I sort of want to see it just to see how badly they wallpaper over the years from 1996 to 2011.

"Lo and then Vampire 20th anniversary edition sprang fully formed from seafoam and sold itself and absolutely no other roleplaying games were published in the previous 8 years. As was spoken by our prophet Rein dot Hagen. So shall it be."

Nah, they're totally going to try to create some myth about how Chronicles was a failure in every way and that they saved the WoD from the cowards at end period WW/Current OPP. Ericsson has a particular take on everything and he will definitely make himself out to be the greatest and most correct fan who has given gamers what they not only demanded but desperately needed.

So yeah, get ready for the OPP stab-in-the-back myth.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

So yeah, get ready for the OPP stab-in-the-back myth.

It's not a myth. People keep stabbing OPP in the back.

They put out mostly good source books in a time when there is just a lot of trash mixed in with a handful of companies putting out good material both mechanically and thematically. They also crucially, left the 90's nearly when it stopped being the 90's.

(In this alternate reality in my head, Beast never existed.)

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

Beast is atrocious, and Changing Breeds was very dumb, but neither of them invalidates the unfairness of OPP getting ganked by nuWW.
I mean, seriously, they've put in a ton of effort and real creative work to rebuild and advance the World of Darkness' extremely 90s ideas into something really interesting. Awakening 2e has probably the best gnostic fantasy setting I've ever read (and yes I'm including KULT), and it's still got extremely capable competition in terms of theme, mechanical implementation, and setting depth.
But because they were working on a license, all that could be cut off suddenly and totally because Swedracula had a bad day.

MollyMetroid
Jan 20, 2004

Trout Clan Daimyo
NuWW won't cut off the Chronicles, because it represents income for them with no real work involved, and because of the rename does not really touch the brand they actually give a drat about.

OPP are definitely planning for in case they do, but as long as they're bringing in money for NuWW while NuWW has nothing else to really show it's going to be around, at the very least, and it probably won't matter after they release their new product because the audience is pretty different at this point and really not split by there being two brands; even rudimentary research will show that the Chronicles audience largely want nothing to do with the edgy bullshit that NuWW wants to peddle.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I just checked in over at VEKN and apparently WW also gets to review the official fan made expansions.

Even before they can be previewd. Ugh, just give me more cards.

Joe Slowboat
Nov 9, 2016

Higgledy-Piggledy Whale Statements

MollyMetroid posted:

even rudimentary research will show that the Chronicles audience largely want nothing to do with the edgy bullshit that NuWW wants to peddle.

While I believe this wholeheartedly I'm not unconcerned that nuWW won't blame the existence of the Chronicles if and when their 90s revival doesn't sell.
:ohdear:

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah splitting the fanbase sounds like the sort of thing that will be said.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

remusclaw posted:

Yeah splitting the fanbase sounds like the sort of thing that will be said.

Even though, demonstrably, they're the ones that will have split the fanbase.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

As long as the LARPers do not rebel en masse, they won't care.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Jhet posted:

It's not a myth. People keep stabbing OPP in the back.

No, the myth is that OPP stabbed the poor, enlightened gamers in the back and killed their beloved RPG.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stab-in-the-back_myth

Mors Rattus posted:

As long as the LARPers do not rebel en masse, they won't care.

They already kind of did when Swede-Drac talked out of his rear end and had to walk back stuff at the Masquerade in NOLA. He's not an American style larper either and doesn't have ties to the communities in the US to my knowledge, which have their own cultures and ideas of what the games should be.

RocknRollaAyatollah fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Jan 11, 2018

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

MollyMetroid posted:

NuWW won't cut off the Chronicles, because it represents income for them with no real work involved, and because of the rename does not really touch the brand they actually give a drat about.
I’d be careful attributing good business sense and lack of vanity to the nuWW management

Jade Mage
Jan 4, 2013

This is Canada. It snows nine months of the year, and hails the other three.

I'm having trouble parsing Clarity in Changeling 2e. As I understand it, it works like both a Integrity score and also has a health track? When you lose the "health track" Clarity to 0 you lose 1 "integrity" Clarity? Is there any way to get Clarity back without buying it or is it just going to be a huge EXP sink as it goes down regularly but needs to be paid to keep up?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They already kind of did when Swede-Drac talked out of his rear end and had to walk back stuff at the Masquerade in NOLA. He's not an American style larper either and doesn't have ties to the communities in the US to my knowledge, which have their own cultures and ideas of what the games should be.

Oh man the NOLA Masquerade was miserable. Telling women and minorities that being treated like poo poo is the price of admission for a period game was stupid. Not shutting down the crowd when they started barking "you don't earn 70% of your resource dots" was even worse.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

What happened there? I remember it coming up earlier but I'm foggy on the details and Google isn't helping much on a phone connection.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!

MollyMetroid posted:

OPP are definitely planning for in case they do, but as long as they're bringing in money for NuWW while NuWW has nothing else to really show it's going to be around, at the very least, and it probably won't matter after they release their new product because the audience is pretty different at this point and really not split by there being two brands; even rudimentary research will show that the Chronicles audience largely want nothing to do with the edgy bullshit that NuWW wants to peddle.

Basic Chunnel posted:

I’d be careful attributing good business sense and lack of vanity to the nuWW management

I don't think it's out of good business sense, I think it's out of necessity.

It's important to remember that nuWW doesn't...really exist yet, still. Their grand total of products so far have been what, those two lovely phone games and one or two book re-releases? It's been a year and then some since it formed, and it has jack poo poo to it's name.

There is a hypothetical future where nuWW actually releases some products and then tries to backstab OPP, but right now, it mostly just looks like OPP makes books, and nuWW promises you that their far better books are totally gonna happen, you'll see!

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Kurieg posted:

Oh man the NOLA Masquerade was miserable. Telling women and minorities that being treated like poo poo is the price of admission for a period game was stupid. Not shutting down the crowd when they started barking "you don't earn 70% of your resource dots" was even worse.

I can't say I'm officially surprised that he doubled down on the 'racism and misogyny makes it AUTHENTIC~!' that gets peddled. Mostly my reaction to nuWW can be summed up by a .gif of Charlie Brown sighing.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

NGDBSS posted:

What happened there? I remember it coming up earlier but I'm foggy on the details and Google isn't helping much on a phone connection.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3712435&pagenumber=242&perpage=40#post464822608
that's where the NOLA videos get posted.

Kurieg posted:

And one thing I got out of that Q&A is that Martin really has no clue about anything that goes on in the American Roleplaying community. At one Martin goes on a long spiel about how you're playing Monsters in the World of Darkness and Racism and Sexism is monstrous. Then someone asked him "Well then why would women or minorities want to even play your game if they're going to come here and be forced to experience historically accurate racism?" and they practically ripped the mic out of his hands before he could respond.

I Am Just a Box
Jul 20, 2011
I belong here. I contain only inanimate objects. Nothing is amiss.

Jade Mage posted:

I'm having trouble parsing Clarity in Changeling 2e. As I understand it, it works like both a Integrity score and also has a health track? When you lose the "health track" Clarity to 0 you lose 1 "integrity" Clarity? Is there any way to get Clarity back without buying it or is it just going to be a huge EXP sink as it goes down regularly but needs to be paid to keep up?

You don't lose dots and buy them back with experiences like Integrity. It's much more like Health: the permanent rating is just derived from your Attributes (and you can go Icon-seeking to earn more), but actual events that impact Clarity inflict damage to your Clarity boxes that can be healed in game. Healing Clarity damage does not cost experiences; it's done by connecting with your Touchstones.

Kurieg posted:

As somebody who's never gone near the LARP scene, I've got to ask what the latter was about or meant. It's a long-rear end video.

I Am Just a Box fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Jan 11, 2018

Yessod
Mar 21, 2007

I Am Just a Box posted:

As somebody who's never gone near the LARP scene, I've got to ask what the latter was about or meant. It's a long-rear end video.

Resources is a background for how much monetary income you have. People were asking (satirically) if female characters got 70% less money from dots of Resources since we're going with the super historically accurate misogyny and racism.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

ProfessorCirno posted:

I don't think it's out of good business sense, I think it's out of necessity.

It's important to remember that nuWW doesn't...really exist yet, still. Their grand total of products so far have been what, those two lovely phone games and one or two book re-releases? It's been a year and then some since it formed, and it has jack poo poo to it's name.

There is a hypothetical future where nuWW actually releases some products and then tries to backstab OPP, but right now, it mostly just looks like OPP makes books, and nuWW promises you that their far better books are totally gonna happen, you'll see!

There's an Apocalypse game in development, but there's still nothing of it except some concept art. Apparently it was at E3?

My conspiracy theory is that Paradox bought WW with the idea that Obsidian would begin working on a Bloodlines 2 or the like, since they were dropping hints and bringing back people from Troika. Then either Swedracula blew them off or Obsidian balked at his requirements and now things are in a lovely limbo.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kavak posted:

There's an Apocalypse game in development, but there's still nothing of it except some concept art. Apparently it was at E3?

I recall that they announced it as soon as a deal was made, i.e., just slightly after "the idea guys" step of development. One of the worst points to announce any game's development, especially video games. I expect lots of overturned boxcars.

Desiden
Mar 13, 2016

Mindless self indulgence is SRS BIZNS
Is nuWW popular anywhere? I'm pretty far out of the loop these days, but among RL friends who might be nostalgic for those things, it was a blip for like 30 seconds on people's radars, and nothing since then. I'm pretty sure they're not aware of either the trash phone game or the playtest. Nowhere online where people would normally drub up interest for RPGs do I see anyone talking favorably about it, or really talking about it much at all. Is it even gaining momentum among the Eurolarp crowd that its supposedly going to cater to?

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

That Old Tree posted:

I recall that they announced it as soon as a deal was made, i.e., just slightly after "the idea guys" step of development. One of the worst points to announce any game's development, especially video games. I expect lots of overturned boxcars.

I rememeber the same thing, bur your simile is lost on me.

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Desiden posted:

Is nuWW popular anywhere? I'm pretty far out of the loop these days, but among RL friends who might be nostalgic for those things, it was a blip for like 30 seconds on people's radars, and nothing since then. I'm pretty sure they're not aware of either the trash phone game or the playtest. Nowhere online where people would normally drub up interest for RPGs do I see anyone talking favorably about it, or really talking about it much at all. Is it even gaining momentum among the Eurolarp crowd that its supposedly going to cater to?

Someone pointed out a bit back that all nuWW is at the moment is promises. For those who don't follow game development all there has been is that 30 second blip.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

That Old Tree posted:

It's also being made by the guys whose primary claim to fame is the Blood Bowl video games, IIRC.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Kavak posted:

I rememeber the same thing, bur your simile is lost on me.

A train wreck. :rimshot:

Mors Rattus posted:

It's also being made by the guys whose primary claim to fame is the Blood Bowl video games, IIRC.

Those seem well-liked, at least.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

For a company bought out by a video game publisher their VG development pipeline has thrown up a lot of red flags. Swedracula even said recently that Paradox has had very little input. From what we've seen (which is admittedly not much) it sounds like nuWW is its own silo without much of a guiding hand.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

I still can't believe EuroLARP is the focus of the WW acquisition. Paradox has too much money

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

Basic Chunnel posted:

I still can't believe EuroLARP is the focus of the WW acquisition. Paradox has too much money

The focus of the WW Acquisition was that A guy at CCP who was a giant white wolf fanboy had a friend at Paradox who was close enough to the decision makers to sell the idea of all these amazing future World of Darkness games that they could make. I imagine that they got the license for relatively cheap, as CCP had basically been sitting on it. Though the fact that CCP had been sitting on it for years should have pointed out to Paradox that it was a bad idea.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

That one post-mortem of the WoD MMO remains an enduring classic

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince

Kavak posted:

My conspiracy theory is that Paradox bought WW with the idea that Obsidian would begin working on a Bloodlines 2 or the like, since they were dropping hints and bringing back people from Troika. Then either Swedracula blew them off or Obsidian balked at his requirements and now things are in a lovely limbo.

I'm running on the same theory. It's what makes the most sense to me.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Basic Chunnel posted:

That one post-mortem of the WoD MMO remains an enduring classic
The "It needs to be more... Pssssshhhh *immediately walks away without explaining what that's supposed to mean*" one?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Zereth posted:

The "It needs to be more... Pssssshhhh *immediately walks away without explaining what that's supposed to mean*" one?

I am going to need a link to this.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Zereth posted:

yes

Night10194 posted:

I am going to need a link to this.

"I once saw him looking over the shoulder of a programmer at some bit of User Interface the poor guy had hacked together. He straightened up, put fingers to lips and said, ‘No, this isn't it at all. Make it more... psssshhhh’ He hissed on his loving fingertips, like the air coming out of a bicycle tire, and then just walked away.”

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dec 26, 2012

Jade Mage posted:

It's more like a health track than an integrity track, in that your max capacity doesn't go down (and in fact goes up more often than by just buying attributes through finding icons). You take clarity damage like how normal damage works (mild = bashing, severe = lethal, no aggravated). Clarity damage heals by interaction with a touchstone - touchstones subtract dice from clarity damage rolls and are considered detached when the associated box is full of severe - and by resolving conditions imposed by taking Clarity damage/having clarity damage in your last 3 boxes.