Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

People were asking about doing shiny metallics way earlier in the thread and I suggested the Molotow chrome pen. Well I've found a much more durable solution.

AK True Metal wax

Skip to about 10 minutes in for the polish process on their steel color.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPNGFAgWmGU

It looks like the more work you're willing to put into the polish, the shinier the result. I'm not sure how the thinner will react to plastics, but it looks just fine on the parts used in the video.

Just thought this might be of some use to someone.

Huh, that looks really cool. I might give that a shot and see how well it works as a way to achieve edge highlights if you only polish along the edges. Might be more hassle than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

If I fall, you don't get the head, right? If you lose the head, you're fucked!

I think it would work really well on something like custodes. It would be a pain to try to buff the entire model, but the edges of armor and stuff might come out really cool.

Edit: the tubes are about $12 a piece at the hobby shop near me. The site is in € and I linked a combo pack, but they don't seem all that expensive.

Kabuki Shipoopi fucked around with this message at 22:33 on Jan 10, 2018

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
I hosed up one of my Venomthropes. :( Two of them had the tentacles stick on almost painlessly, but the last one the tentacles just wouldn't stick. They kept falling off at the slightest touch. I haven't had a model do that ever, so I thought the solution = more glue.

Is there a solution for this? I've never used Green Stuff before, but maybe I could wrap it around the body and stick the tentacles in? Or just run it without tentacles, it still looks sufficiently creepy otherwise.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.
How much damage is your Molotow coating taking? I've only put big swathes of it on a display model, but I put it on the edges of swords on things I travel with and it's been pretty durable with a little varnish.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LifeLynx posted:

I hosed up one of my Venomthropes. :( Two of them had the tentacles stick on almost painlessly, but the last one the tentacles just wouldn't stick. They kept falling off at the slightest touch. I haven't had a model do that ever, so I thought the solution = more glue.

Is there a solution for this? I've never used Green Stuff before, but maybe I could wrap it around the body and stick the tentacles in? Or just run it without tentacles, it still looks sufficiently creepy otherwise.

If it proves too hard to fix, just make it look like he got hit on that side with a flamer.

counterspin
Apr 2, 2010

Did you wash the mini? When glue just won't stick is usually either mold release still on the model, which can be removed by washing in warm water and toothbrushing the mini and then rinsing, or old superglue which can be replaced.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

grassy gnoll posted:

How much damage is your Molotow coating taking? I've only put big swathes of it on a display model, but I put it on the edges of swords on things I travel with and it's been pretty durable with a little varnish.

Pretty durable. I've used it sparingly as highlights on things and it's worked well especially with varnish.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

Bit of x-posting from the Infinity thread...

Some mad part of my brain decided that painting the eyes was a good idea. Now I'll feel obliged to paint eyes because I've shown I can do it.

Kabuki Shipoopi
Jun 22, 2007

Xaerael posted:

Bit of x-posting from the Infinity thread...

Some mad part of my brain decided that painting the eyes was a good idea. Now I'll feel obliged to paint eyes because I've shown I can do it.

That looks really good, especially the face. I am The Worst at faces. I like the highlights on the hair too. Nice job!

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

Booyah- posted:

I have a model primed with dragon red, i can slap some mephiston on part of it tonight and see how it compares. Pure red as basically the same as evil sunz scarlet, but no idea about dragon red.

I gave this a shot, it's hard to tell the difference in pictures but it does seems like mephiston is slightly brighter.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Has anyone tried microwaving resin to straighten out a bend?

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

moths posted:

Has anyone tried microwaving resin to straighten out a bend?

Not microwave, but I've straightened up some Privateer Press restic parts by dipping them in boiling water. Seriously it instantly has the consistency of an al dente spaghetti noodle at that point.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just use a hairdryer, less fuss.

Xaerael
Aug 25, 2010

Marching Powder is objectively the worst poster known. He also needs to learn how a keyboard works.

I use a hairdryer and a cold water dunk to set the mini. Only time I don't is if the resin is heavily pigmented, because that can cause the pigment to bleed in rare cases. Then it's a hot water job and patience.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I've tried hot tap water but stopped shy of boiling. I'll give the hairdryer a shot and then boiling if that doesn't sort it.

Thanks!

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

I'm tired of hearing about money, money, money, money, money.
I just want to play the game, drink Pepsi, wear Reebok.

Grimey Drawer
Got some poorly-painted models on the cheap, and I'm looking to strip and re-paint. I've been told Simple Green works well, but a couple of the minis are plastic. Anything I should be concerned about, or can I just chuck em all in there?

Booley
Apr 25, 2010
I CAN BARELY MAKE IT A WEEK WITHOUT ACTING LIKE AN ASSHOLE
Grimey Drawer

TheBigAristotle posted:

Got some poorly-painted models on the cheap, and I'm looking to strip and re-paint. I've been told Simple Green works well, but a couple of the minis are plastic. Anything I should be concerned about, or can I just chuck em all in there?

Simple green won't do anything to plastic. I've left stuff in it for months. Its also not amazing at actually stripping paint, I've had much more success with Super Clean https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperClean-Tough-Task-Cleaner-Degreaser-1-gal/23752162 which also doesn't seem to harm plastic.

Dr. Gargunza
May 19, 2011

He damned me for a eunuch,
and my mother for a whore.

Fun Shoe

TheBigAristotle posted:

Simple Green is fine on plastic, though it can take a bit to be effective if the paint or varnish are on thick. You can leave plastic models for an extended soak with no ill effects. (Thanks for reminding me, I have about 9 Tau sitting in a jar of SG for about the past couple of months....)

e: f, b

e2: Use an old toothbrush to get paint out of the crevices after soaking.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Booley posted:

Simple green won't do anything to plastic. I've left stuff in it for months. Its also not amazing at actually stripping paint, I've had much more success with Super Clean https://www.walmart.com/ip/SuperClean-Tough-Task-Cleaner-Degreaser-1-gal/23752162 which also doesn't seem to harm plastic.

How long should I have them soaking?

darnon
Nov 8, 2009
Usually at least a day is enough to start getting most of the majority done. If it was really globbed on or some of the more tenacious spray paint/primers it can take longer or multiple soaks.

LAs Totally Awesome Cleaner at Dollar Tree is also pretty good.

Bucnasti
Aug 14, 2012

I'll Fetch My Sarcasm Robes
After leaving some ebay rescue russes that were primed with roofing tar in LA Totally Awesome for a month to no results I switched to Dawn Power Dissolver and the poo poo came of in sheets after 20-30 minutes.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have 4 Kastelan Robots total for my AdMech army. 2 are already painted in a Mars theme, so for the other 2 I decided to paint them up as the legendary Kastelans from the AdMech codex. Partly because I like the look of them, and partly because I only had yellow primer.

Here's 3-Null Cortex in the codex.

Here's as far as I got last night.

Unfortunately my primer fuzzed (which the yellow has done to me every single time I've used it, so i'm tossing the can). I just decided to paint it and deal with it, just going for a tabletop quality.

Deino
Dec 14, 2010

As a heads up to those of you who got in on the Badger $54 special offer the other day but haven't received additional correspondence beyond the initial rules/guidelines email, I feel like I got in on the tail end of the offer and I just received my Paypal invoice from Badger. $64 shipped for an Xtreme Patriot 105 feels real good.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
What should I be using to strip resin?

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Deino posted:

As a heads up to those of you who got in on the Badger $54 special offer the other day but haven't received additional correspondence beyond the initial rules/guidelines email, I feel like I got in on the tail end of the offer and I just received my Paypal invoice from Badger. $64 shipped for an Xtreme Patriot 105 feels real good.

drat good deal. Would have jumped on it myself if I were in need of a 2nd airbrush

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
LA's Totally Awesome Cleaner is... totally awesome. I poured it on a used Harpy I bought off a friend, and immediately the first layer of paint came off to reveal the white primer underneath. I scrubbed it with a toothbrush real quick and the primer showed underneath. I've heard it works fast, but thirty seconds fast? I'm still going to let it soak for at least a few hours before I try to scrub it completely.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Picked up some super clean, any recommendations on the ratio of cleaner to water?

Ilor
Feb 2, 2008

That's a crit.
Ratio? Maybe I'm doin' it wrong, but I just pour a little Super Clean in a glass bowl and drop the mini in it.

dexefiend
Apr 25, 2003

THE GOGGLES DO NOTHING!
I bought 5 gallons of Purple Power at the auto store for the price of 1 gallon of Super Clean.

Purple Power works great. It even removed the 14 year old extra heavy Dark Angel Green spray paint I coated them in.

Do yourself a favor, and buy a firm bristled toothbrush like a person with dentures would use. It works faster than a soft bristled brush.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

ijyt posted:

Just use a hairdryer, less fuss.

I got a heat gun, and while it’s an additional cost, it works so much better that it’s unbelievable. Some resin mixes just don’t retain their new shape after blow-drying or boiling water, but a heat gun works perfectly.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Avenging Dentist posted:

I got a heat gun, and while it’s an additional cost, it works so much better that it’s unbelievable. Some resin mixes just don’t retain their new shape after blow-drying or boiling water, but a heat gun works perfectly.

Not sure how, they’re both the same principle, I’ve never had an issue with straightening things using a normal hairdryer on forgeworld and non-forgeworld resin.

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

TheBigAristotle posted:

Picked up some super clean, any recommendations on the ratio of cleaner to water?

All cleaner, no water.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon

dexefiend posted:

I bought 5 gallons of Purple Power at the auto store for the price of 1 gallon of Super Clean.

Purple Power works great. It even removed the 14 year old extra heavy Dark Angel Green spray paint I coated them in.

Do yourself a favor, and buy a firm bristled toothbrush like a person with dentures would use. It works faster than a soft bristled brush.

Purple Power and an ultrasonic cleaner are amazing.

Salynne
Oct 25, 2007

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Purple Power and an ultrasonic cleaner are amazing.

Yeah I've been using Super Clean and an ultrasonic cleaner. It plowed through all the caked on primer from all the second hand nids I bought.

I also use these brushes: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003M8GMS6/

They're for getting in and cleaning weird little places on kitchen appliances... so exactly perfect for getting into weird corners on little paint mans. The bristles are perfect, stiff but plastic and doesn't leave scratches on the plastic even if you go crazy with it.

Beer4TheBeerGod
Aug 23, 2004
Exciting Lemon
What brushes do folks typically use for drybrushing?

Shadin
Jun 28, 2009

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

I know it's taboo, but I actually really like the Citadel drybrushes. That and their medium shade are in constant use for me alongside my sables for normal duty.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

Beer4TheBeerGod posted:

Army Painter Drybrush. I am bad at drybrushing and I dunno if it's me or the brush.

TheBigAristotle
Feb 8, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Super cleaner was insanely effective on the metal minis, but not so much on the plastics. Maybe they just need more time? They take a lot more scrubbing, the metal ones' paint just sloughed off with little effort

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

ijyt posted:

Not sure how, they’re both the same principle, I’ve never had an issue with straightening things using a normal hairdryer on forgeworld and non-forgeworld resin.

You can go MUCH hotter with a heat gun. Some of the resin kits I’ve put together would just spring back into shape with anything less. I’m pretty sure I had the thing set around 300° F.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Shadin posted:

I know it's taboo, but I actually really like the Citadel drybrushes. That and their medium shade are in constant use for me alongside my sables for normal duty.

Yeah, I like them too. The AP ones seem to go bad pretty quickly, while I've had GW drybrushes for years.