Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Know Such Peace posted:

A significant portion of A2’s backstory and character motivation is in the first stage-play. The overall experience works well enough, but there are a few places that feel like the devs just ran out of time/resources.

Yeah, I went through all the outside material after beating the game so I guess I can't speak to the experience without it.

My recommendation: read it while listening to the soundtrack

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I liked A2 but more people might be on board with her if we actually saw the terrible stuff she saw. (The resistance camp being attacked is I think the most forgettable part of the game and it makes the machines seem like unserious threats)

No Wave fucked around with this message at 14:09 on Jan 11, 2018

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009
The attack on the camp didn't really get a response other then confusion from me. There aren't really any characters there that we care about it seems. As opposed to (play through C spoilers) Pascal and his village. The machine village was a place where everyone there is as close to "innocent" as you can get. But when all was said and done I ended up killing Pascal, what changes if he lives?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Moochewmoo posted:

The attack on the camp didn't really get a response other then confusion from me. There aren't really any characters there that we care about it seems. As opposed to (play through C spoilers) Pascal and his village. The machine village was a place where everyone there is as close to "innocent" as you can get. But when all was said and done I ended up killing Pascal, what changes if he lives?
You wipe his memory and he goes back to the village as the only inhabitant. He sells you machine cores from the dead kids not knowing what they are. He's cheerful but doesn't know you.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Moochewmoo posted:

Pretty hosed up that you made no emotional connection to the guy who wore the big smiley face helmet.

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

No Wave posted:

You wipe his memory and he goes back to the village as the only inhabitant. He sells you machine cores from the dead kids not knowing what they are. He's cheerful but doesn't know you.

More C spoilers

Ah. I justified the other choice by reasoning that either way this is effectively death for him. The game really points out that your being is dictated by your memories, they're the foundation of who you are. Pascal dies no matter what, I guess I reasoned that this way as he dies at least he can be at peace with it all being over for sure.

The only thing that bothered me is it seems 9S can cheat death whenever he wants, be it by some how over writing enemy machines or hacking himself free of viral corruption? I found the blurring of B2 and A2 much more compelling.

SHISHKABOB posted:

Pretty hosed up that you made no emotional connection to the guy who wore the big smiley face helmet.

No joke I have no clue who that even is. At least the robot village has Pascal, the kiddos, philosophy-bot, science bot, the sister bots, and the goon bot too.

Moochewmoo fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Jan 11, 2018

ZiegeDame
Aug 21, 2005

YUKIMURAAAA!

Moochewmoo posted:

philosophy-bot,

The greatest tragedy of Nier: Automata is that [Route C]Jean-Paul leaves the village before it gets wiped out.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

I think it's funny that I remembered their helmets as "smiley faces".

Moochewmoo
May 13, 2009

ZiegeDame posted:

The greatest tragedy of Nier: Automata is that [Route C]Jean-Paul leaves the village before it gets wiped out.

I wonder if he's there if you don't do his quest?

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Moochewmoo posted:

You can also leave without killing or wiping Pascal. Not sure what changes as a result though.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Moochewmoo posted:

More C spoilers

Ah. I justified the other choice by reasoning that either way this is effectively death for him. The game really points out that your being is dictated by your memories, they're the foundation of who you are. Pascal dies no matter what, I guess I reasoned that this way as he dies at least he can be at peace with it all being over for sure.

The only thing that bothered me is it seems 9S can cheat death whenever he wants, be it by some how over writing enemy machines or hacking himself free of viral corruption? I found the blurring of B2 and A2 much more compelling.

My justification was that Pascal turned out to be a nice person and will probably be a nice person this time too so the world's better off with him in it even if his memories are gone.

WaltherFeng
May 15, 2013

50 thousand people used to live here. Now, it's the Mushroom Kingdom.
Did couple segments of route C

A2 has taunt button like Jetstream Sam and a
berserk mode like Raiden in MGR. Hell yez

Did not expect any of the twists that happened in the prologue. Intense stuff

pezzie
Apr 11, 2003

everytime someone says a seasonal anime is GOAT

Just watch the best anime ever
The "intro" to Route C is one of my favorite video gaming segments ever.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

Party Boat posted:

You can also leave without killing or wiping Pascal. Not sure what changes as a result though.

I think he kills himself. Walking away is the cruelest option.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Developed by PlatinumGames

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

arisu posted:

It was so drat cruel! we fly away from the exploding bunker and the title card comes up, and I think "ok for playthrough C we'll be doing side quests and so on as 2B and 9S in this new status quo". Then they're immediately separated and 9S catches up to 2B just in time to witness her death, as a giant sinister machine structure erupts from the ground to dominate the sky. And this is the new status quo. Enjoy, bitch

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

I think he kills himself. Walking away is the cruelest option.

That's unclear, actually; he definitely doesn't do it in front of you. He calls you cruel as you walk away, then the game says he was "never seen again". It's possible he committed suicide, but it's also possible he wandered off and eventually found some kind of peace. The player never finds out, which is the point of that choice; you're asserting that it's Pascal's responsibility to choose his fate.

Either way, I disagree with the second part. It may seem cruel, but it's cruel in the same way that the androids refer to the cruelty of their absent God at the beginning. Walking away means forcing Pascal to be the thing he's always wanted to be: a person. Being alive means having free will, and it also means having to confront your limitations, experience trauma, and live with guilt. Walking away is the final test of Pascal's sentience. He hates you, and that's his right, but it doesn't mean you made the wrong choice.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole
I feel the same way. I feel like a dead Pascal would help no one, a memory wiped Pascal would be essentially the same thing (maybe a repeat of what he already did), but a living Pascal may be able to start over and learn from his mistakes. I realize learning from mistakes is distinctly something the machines as a whole don't do, but considering that was a part of the network and A2 destroyed that anyway, he's not really bound by those rules. I find it really boring to say he can't learn anyway.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

Know Such Peace posted:

Developed by PlatinumGames

I love absurdly late title cards, Infinite Space(Also PlatinumGames) had one too at, what, 15-20 hours of playtime.

Look Sir Droids
Jan 27, 2015

The tracks go off in this direction.

wizard on a water slide posted:

That's unclear, actually; he definitely doesn't do it in front of you. He calls you cruel as you walk away, then the game says he was "never seen again". It's possible he committed suicide, but it's also possible he wandered off and eventually found some kind of peace. The player never finds out, which is the point of that choice; you're asserting that it's Pascal's responsibility to choose his fate.

Either way, I disagree with the second part. It may seem cruel, but it's cruel in the same way that the androids refer to the cruelty of their absent God at the beginning. Walking away means forcing Pascal to be the thing he's always wanted to be: a person. Being alive means having free will, and it also means having to confront your limitations, experience trauma, and live with guilt. Walking away is the final test of Pascal's sentience. He hates you, and that's his right, but it doesn't mean you made the wrong choice.

It's been 9 months since I played the game, my dude.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Look Sir Droids posted:

It's been 9 months since I played the game, my dude.

o I just beat it last month

Hikaki
Oct 11, 2005
Motherfucking Fujitsu Heavy Industries

arisu posted:

Especially coming out of route B which felt comfortable and familiar, being a retread of route A. The impact is just immense. It's really an all-out example of what makes these games good.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

phew, for a minute there i lost myself
Just starting route B - should I just motor through the main quests or are any of the sidequests worth doing again?

Badingading
Sep 2, 2011

Any sidequests you've already done will still be considered finished on route B, though there will be a few new ones exclusive to that route.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
You actually get some new ones. I think any side quests you already completed stay completed the second time around, so you don't have to worry about doing all the exact same quests twice

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

el oso posted:

Just starting route B - should I just motor through the main quests or are any of the sidequests worth doing again?

Make sure to do the side quest that is found in the same building you run up inside to fight the Engel(?) boss.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.

el oso posted:

Do the Emil Flower Sidequest if you haven't, it unlocks a very important bit.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Getting back into the game after doing a full run last year. Turns out if you go back and switch off your self-destruct sequence in the post-prologue bit when 9S tells you you have to do it, he has special dialogue for it. Okay, I understand...nobody likes the idea of having to self destruct. I won't tell the Commander. :3:

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Momomo posted:

I feel the same way. I feel like a dead Pascal would help no one, a memory wiped Pascal would be essentially the same thing (maybe a repeat of what he already did), but a living Pascal may be able to start over and learn from his mistakes. I realize learning from mistakes is distinctly something the machines as a whole don't do, but considering that was a part of the network and A2 destroyed that anyway, he's not really bound by those rules. I find it really boring to say he can't learn anyway.

I'm not so sure about this. Pascal had lost his family, his treasure. And we've consistently seen folks go either self-destructive or insane when they lost their treasure. 9S activated Caim.exe, A2 became a murderhobo at the end of the stage play, Simone went insane from rejection and embraced being a monster, Eve was consumed by grief and had to be put down, Anemone is full of survivor's guilt and only keeps fighting so she could die in battle.

The same thing even happened to minor characters. One of the resistance members became suicidal when she remembered her lover was dead, while the other went off on a murder spree after finding out her buddy got killed by a machine. The Golden Stubbies lost their family and died trying to get revenge on 9S.

A2 is the odd one out here, but that's only because she started to change when her memories fused with 2B's and Hegel's.

Seshoho Cian
Jul 26, 2010

here's something incredibly dumb for you all
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L-XtMNYHsZc

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Delightfully [D]evilish.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Seshoho Cian posted:

Actually this owns a lot.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

amigolupus posted:

I'm not so sure about this. Pascal had lost his family, his treasure. And we've consistently seen folks go either self-destructive or insane when they lost their treasure. 9S activated Caim.exe, A2 became a murderhobo at the end of the stage play, Simone went insane from rejection and embraced being a monster, Eve was consumed by grief and had to be put down, Anemone is full of survivor's guilt and only keeps fighting so she could die in battle.

The same thing even happened to minor characters. One of the resistance members became suicidal when she remembered her lover was dead, while the other went off on a murder spree after finding out her buddy got killed by a machine. The Golden Stubbies lost their family and died trying to get revenge on 9S.

A2 is the odd one out here, but that's only because she started to change when her memories fused with 2B's and Hegel's.

There's an odder one.

Anemone.

She lost everything, found out she couldn't even kill herself, and ended up more stable than anyone else in the cast.

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

The phantom little girl that keeps popping up in B is creeping me out. If that was in A too, I totally missed it.

Over There
Jun 28, 2013

by Azathoth

Seshoho Cian posted:

Holy poo poo

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

Seshoho Cian posted:

:vince:

el oso
Feb 18, 2005

C owns.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

is 'Steamed Hams but ...' a meme now? That'd explain why this one (also a favourite) exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtAsRr0bCLo

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

el oso posted:

The phantom little girl that keeps popping up in B is creeping me out. If that was in A too, I totally missed it.

Nah, that only shows up in B.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

Synthbuttrange posted:

is 'Steamed Hams but ...' a meme now? That'd explain why this one (also a favourite) exists:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtAsRr0bCLo

Apparently it's been a meme for years now on 4chan of wherever, but it only blew up in the last couple of months, to the point that the original writer of the scene got in on the action:

https://twitter.com/thatbilloakley/status/949044048370614273