Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Because it's supposed to be capped at 120, but most mages build deathcap and can just go beyond what they are supposed to get from it.

how is this different than literally any other item or source of AP. like why would you look at nunu and go OH poo poo DEATHCAP but not for, say, anything else

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Because there isn't any other character handing off 120 AP in stats to a second character right now.

I'm not sure what your trying to get at or why it bothers you I brought up deathcap relating to nunu's new thing.

fnox
May 19, 2013

The Shortest Path posted:

Can anyone point me toward a good explanation of how all the new rune/mastery poo poo has shaken up the game for someone who hasn't played since a long-rear end time ago?

It looks really neat but I'm also terrified of trying to do anything at all without the loads of stats from rune pages, especially jungling.

I disagree with the people telling you to just copy over runes from op.gg or whatever, this is the easiest the runes/mastery system has ever been to learn, and I think it's good to understand what your options are. People just copying runes are missing out on all the options you're given to deal with matchups.

So, first of, what changed? Runes and masteries were consolidated into a single system, it's all now just runes. This meant some alterations to base stats for all champions, it's kind of hard to track all of the specific changes, but the most crucial part is that, while most champions got some of the armour they would have gotten from a standard rune page put into their base stats, MR didn't get as big of an adjustment. This plus the removal of scaling runes means that damage is higher overall, and the removal of some of the regeneration you would have gotten from masteries means that damage actually sticks now.

How does the new system work? You have 5 paths, Inspiration, Domination, Sorcery, Resolve and Precision. Each one of these trees have 3 Keystones and 9 minor runes (grouped in sets of 3). You select one of these paths as your primary, from which you then select 1 major rune, and 3 minor runes, one from each set. You then pick a secondary tree, and select 2 minor runes from any of their sets. Depending on the combination of primary and secondary tree you will also get some extra base stats.

Another thing to note before getting into the specifics of each path is the introduction of adaptive damage. Runes no longer grant AP or AD, nor do they do magic or physical damage, they now change their damage type based on which stat you have bought more of, AP or AD. This is also not fixed at the start of the match, you could for example, start Doran Ring and get adaptive magic damage, then buy a BF sword to switch it to physical damage later on. This in general means it's harder to get a bad combination of runes.

Each path has essentially two intended purposes, generally the first option being the one that is actually intended to be the main reason why you would pick it, the second one being an additional playstyle that is enabled by the path and is generally the motivating factor in picking your secondary path. So, generally speaking, your primary path will be pretty much set in stone depending on what your champion is, while the second path will depend on your playstyle. To help you decide which path to pick, I'll list the intended purposes for each one:

Precision: DPS/Sustain
Domination: Burst/Item CDR and vision
Sorcery: Poke/Mana regen, CDR and MS
Resolve: Tankiness/Shields and healing
Inspiration: Gimmicks/Gold efficiency

Keeping that in mind, the decision as to which primary path to pick seems pretty obvious depending on your champion. ADCs want Precision, assassins want Domination, mages want Sorcery, tanks want Resolve, and champions that can abuse gimmicks or that need every bit of gold they can get want Inspiration. But the choice of a secondary isn't necessarily obvious, and I feel like the best way to pick it is to understand what is on every tree so you understand where to place your points.

Precision

Generally, you want this tree as a primary if your main source of damage is your AAs. You want it as a secondary for the healing and extra damage that Triumph and Coup de Grace grant.

Keystones: Press the Attack, Lethal Tempo, and Fleet Footwork: The choice is pretty clear cut here, you want Press The Attack for stronger dueling, which also makes it a go to pick for AA heavy junglers like Shyvana, Xin Zhao and Udyr. Lethal Tempo is meant to be for your Kog'Maws and other hypercarries that just need to rain down AAs onto the enemy team, as it removes the AS cap for 3 seconds. Fleet Footwork is meant to grant you more sustain during fights and in lane, and it is certainly very effective at that.
Set 1: Overheal, Triumph, and Presence of Mind: Triumph is a very popular rune due to its ability to allow you to survive after an all in, the healing is crucial in helping you land multi kills without dying. Overheal is a severely underrated rune that grants a ridiculous shield when combined with Fleet Footwork. Presence of Mind has very little use outside of helping ADCs that need ability burst to have enough mana to keep going.
Set 2: Legend: Alacrity, Legend: Tenacity, and Legend: Bloodline: All three of these are stacking bonuses, it's a bit different from other systems in that it works with a "points" system, granting you a stack (up to 10) for every 20 points you get, you get 20 per champion and epic monster takedown, 5 per large monster kill, 1 per minion kill. At 10 stacks Alacrity grants 18% AS, Tenacity gives 20% tenacity, Bloodline grants 8% life steal, making Alacrity definitely the standout choice, although Tenacity is the greatest source of tenacity in the game right now other than merc treads.
Set 3: Coup de Grace, Cut Down, and Last Stand: All of these grant extra % damage, Coup de Grace gives you extra damage against champions with low health, Cut Down gives you damage against champions with more max health, Last Stand gives you more damage when you are at low health. Coup de Grace is definitely the best out of the three.

Domination

You will obviously want this tree if you want to assassinate people due to the strength of its Keystones. As a secondary though, it is best used on supports, who definitely want the ward spam that Zombie Ward allows, as well as the hilariously high item CDR you can get from Ingenious Hunter.

Keystones: Electrocute, Predator, and Dark Harvest: Electrocute is this season's version of Thunderlord's Decree, although it is nowhere near as general as Thunderlord's was, since it requires 3 distinct attacks or casts to proc now (doesn't proc off DoT), and while it has higher damage, it has a longer cooldown. Predator is a very specific rune that gives you a massive MS boost, plus extra damage on your next AA, so it's basically the Hecarim keystone. Dark Harvest gives you a damage boost on your next AA based on the amount of stacks you have, you get these stacks off takedowns, large minion kills and large monster kills, so it's basically the "snowballing jungler" rune.
Set 1: Cheap Shot, Taste of Blood, and Sudden Impact: Cheap Shot gives you bonus true damage on your AAs and abilities used against a champion that has been CC'd. Taste of Blood heals you after damaging an enemy champion. Sudden Impact gives you extra Lethality and MPen for damaging a champion after exiting stealth, or using a dash/blink. Most assassins will want Sudden Impact.
Set 2: Zombie Ward, Ghost Poro, and Eyeball Collection: Zombie Ward spawns an extra ward that doesn't count towards your ward limit after your wards die, or after you kill a ward. Ghost Poro lets you place a token in any brush (Only one can be active at a time) that will ping you if it sees an enemy champion, even if they're stealthed. Eyeball Collection gives you stacking adaptive damage based on your champion and ward takedowns.
Set 3: Ravenous Hunter, Ingenious Hunter, and Relentless Hunter: Stacking bonuses based on unique takedowns, meaning you can only get up to 5 stacks. Ravenous Hunter gives you up to 12.5% spell vamp, Ingenious Hunter gives you up to 40% Item CDR, and Relentless Hunter gives up to 48 bonus MS.

Sorcery

As a primary it makes the most sense on mages and poke supports. Use it as a secondary only if you want the ultimate CDR from The Ultimate Hat, the MS of Celerity or Waterwalking, or the stat conversions of Transcendence.

Keystones: Arcane Comet, Summon Aery, and Phase Rush: Arcane Comet causes damage in an area after you damage an enemy champion, the cooldown of it goes down every time you damage an enemy champion. Summon Aery gives you an additional DoT after you damage an enemy champion or an additional shield on an ally after you shield, heal or buff them. Phase Rush is very similar to Stormraider's Surge, in that it gives you MS after 3 separate attacks or casts (Same rules as Electrocute).
Set 1: Nullifying Orb, Manaflow Band, and The Ultimate Hat: Nullifying Orb is a noob trap that gives you a magic damage shield after you go below 30% of your health. Manaflow Band lets you cast an ability for free and gives you some mana back every 75 seconds. The Ultimate Hat gives you extra CDR for your ult only, that stacks multiplicatively with your regular CDR (49% total reduction at 40% CDR).
Set 2: Transcendence, Celerity, and Absolute Focus: Transcendence is a very gimmicky rune that gives you extra damage for every point of CDR you have above the 40% cap. Celerity gives you 3% bonus MS, and also gives you extra damage based on your bonus MS. Absolute Focus gives you extra damage when above 70% of your health. Celerity severely outclasses the other runes.
Set 3: Scorch, Waterwalking, and Gathering Storm: Scorch gives you an extra DoT upon damaging a champion with an ability. Waterwalking gives you extra MS in and damage while in the river. Gathering Storm gives you 8 AP or 5 AD per stack, it gives you 1 stack after 10 minutes, 2 after 20 minutes, and so on (Adds up to like 120 AP/72 AD after 50 minutes).

Resolve

This is pretty much the tank path. It's not very good as a secondary path because of how weak its minor runes are, but it has some very strong Keystones.

Keystones: Grasp of the Undying, Aftershock, and Guardian: Grasp of the Undying actually works differently than before, it gives you a 4% max health magic damage boost to your next AA, which also heals you for 2% of your max HP and permanently gives you 5 HP every time you proc it, you proc it by getting 4 stacks, every hit you take counts as a stack. Aftershock is like a Leona W that you get after CCing somebody, it grants you 20 (+30% armor) bonus armor and 20 (+30% MR) bonus MR for 2.5 seconds, and also releases a shockwave that does damage based on your max HP (it's bonkers). Guardian grants you MS and a shield after a nearby ally is damaged.
Set 1: Unflinching, Demolish, and Font of Life: Unflinching gives you 10% tenacity for every summoner you have on cooldown. Demolish lets you charge an attack against structures that deals extra damage based on your max HP. Font of Life lets allied champions heal every time they AA someone you have CC'd.
Set 2: Iron Skin, Mirror Shell, and Conditioning: Iron Skin gives you extra armor, Mirror Shell gives you extra MR, and Conditioning gives you bonus armor and MR after 10 minutes
Set 3: Overgrowth, Revitalize, and Second Wind: Overgrowth increases your max HP by 0.2% every time a minion or monster dies near you. Revitalize gives you extra heal and shield power. Second Wind gives you a heal that procs every time you take damage from a champion.

Inspiration

Inspiration is a very odd path. The main reason you would see it picked as a primary is for champions that can proc attack effects with abilities, like Ezreal and Gangplank, to abuse the gold efficiency of Kleptomancy. The only other reason would be to pick it for Unsealed Spellbook, which is very good on champions that heavily need their summoner spells to be effective like Skarner or Malzahar. Glacial Augment is rather underpowered, and most champions will prefer a damage keystone over extra slows. However, the extra gold efficiency you get from its minor runes makes it a popular secondary path.

Keystones: Unsealed Spellbook, Glacial Augment, and Kleptomancy: As I've said, the best one out of the three is Kleptomancy, which gives you an extra 5 gold every time you AA after casting an ability (or after using an ability that procs attack effects), it also gives you a random chance to get a consumable. Unsealed Spellbook gives you 25% summoner spell CDR, and it also lets you swap out your summoner spells in the store. Glacial Augment gives you a slow on your AAs, and also makes a slow field every time you slow a champion with an active (It seems to have a special interaction with GLP-800 that creates the slow field every time you hit any enemy, which may be the only case where this is a useful keystone)
Set 1: Hextech Flashtraption, Biscuit Delivery, and Perfect Timing: Hextech Flashtraption lets you use a modified version of Flash when your Flash is on CD, where basically you have to hold down the key and channel for up to 2.5 seconds to approximate the distance of flash, this is super gimmicky and only has some very specific uses. Biscuit Delivery gives you a potion that regens 15% of your missing health and mana, at 3 minute intervals, until 12:00. Perfect Time gives you a one use item that has Zhonya's Hourglass active at 6:00, it also gives you a 300g discount on Guardian Angel, Gargoyle Stoneplate and Zhonya's Hourglass, as well as reducing their CD by 15%.
Set 2: Magical Footwear, Future's Market, and Minion Dematerializer: Magical Footwear gives you boots for free after 10 minutes (-30 seconds for every takedown), but you can't buy boots before that. Future's Market lets you get in debt with the store after minute 2:00, and Minion Dematerializer is a bit of a noob trap that gives you an item with 6 uses that lets you execute minions, and also grants you extra damage against the minion you execute
Set 3: Cosmic Insight, Approach Velocity, and Celestial Body: All of these kinda suck, Cosmic Insight gives you 5% increased item, summoner spell and ability CDR, and also raises the CDR cap to 45%. Approach Velocity gives you 10% bonus MS when moving towards a champion you've CC'd. Celestial Body gives you 100 HP but you deal 10% less damage until minute 10.

As I've mentioned before, you also get bonus stats depending on your primary path. As of last patch, picking Resolve as your secondary also changes the bonus to be equal to what it would be if Resolve was your primary path.

Precision: Gives you 18% bonus AS.
Domination: Gives you 18 AP or 10.8 AD, adaptive
Sorcery: Gives you 20 AP or 12 AD, adaptive
Resolve: Gives you 65 bonus HP, and depending on your secondary, it gives you 9% bonus AS (Precision), 9AP/5.4 bonus AD (Domination), 10AP/6AD (Sorcery), or 65 more bonus HP (Inspiration)
Inspiration: Increases the duration of consumables by 20%, and depending on your secondary, it gives you 20% bonus AS (Precision), 22AP/13.2AD (Domination/Sorcery), or 145 bonus HP (Resolve)

I have no idea why I made a post this long.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED
Guess the enemy toplaner and jungler that gave rise to this sad loss

Hint: Our Fiora was mid, and she picked Fiora as a counterpick to the jungle pick.

Sexpansion fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Jan 11, 2018

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

fnox posted:

I have no idea why I made a post this long.

I don't either, but it was very informative. Thank you.

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Sexpansion posted:

Hint: Our Fiora was mid, and she picked Fiora as a counterpick to the jungle pick.

Vayne/And uhhhh... Aatrox?

Super Librarian
Jan 4, 2005

Sexpansion posted:

is that a jungle Yasuo

dalstrs
Mar 11, 2004

At least this way my kill will have some use
Dinosaur Gum
Wouldn't Nunu Ziggs bot lane be disgusting with those changes?

Killed By Death
Jun 29, 2013

Nunu is abysmally bad as a support, especially for Ziggs (who isn't exactly great shakes as ADC himself currently). Ziggs either wants a support to protect him, or to help shove the wave under the enemy tower. Nunu does neither of those things. Bot lane currently favours sustain (with Fleet Footwork/Overheal on the ADC) or engage supports, both of which Nunu can't really answer.

You would have more luck running Ziggs mid/Nunu jungle.

Sexpansion
Mar 22, 2003

DELETED

Super Librarian posted:

is that a jungle Yasuo

Ding ding

wtf.

Really we lost to Trynd split pushing and our team being complete idiots, but still. wtf

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
drat rank 5 mundo cleaver does 280 damage base... 280 ad would cost you 9,800 gold... this champ must be broken

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
yorick's fun as gently caress holy poo poo

shovel top lane into the grave then push for days

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Work Friend Keven posted:

drat rank 5 mundo cleaver does 280 damage base... 280 ad would cost you 9,800 gold... this champ must be broken

Rank 5 mundo cleaver being added to lux's ult would be pretty op.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

From the PBE:

Manaflow Band
  • [Removed] Ability mana or energy cost no longer refunded
  • Mana restore increased from 8% to 10%
  • Cooldown reduced from 75s to 60s

That's certainly one way to fix it. Unfortunately, that might end my support Lux hopes and dreams for S8 unless I can convince them to give her a minor level 1 armor buff. Trying to take an even E -> AA trade is nearly impossible with 18.7 base armor as it stands.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 22:41 on Jan 11, 2018

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

im sure all of your future adcs are devastated by the news

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
If everyone could describe how all the other pbe changes might affect lux I’d appreciate it.

Gray Matter
Apr 20, 2009

There's something inside your head..

Vermain posted:

Unfortunately, that might end my support Lux hopes and dreams for S8
Dreams do come true

Gray Matter fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Jan 12, 2018

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yi is great and all but I have recently found myself enjoying Garen :)

Monicro
Oct 21, 2010

And you could feel his features in the air
A wide smile and perfect hair
He had complete control of the rising tides
And a medicine bag hanging at his side

In the flowing blue world of the death-dealing physician
Vermain continues to fight against all of your prejudice toward the good and noble support lux and he's a hero for it

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich
janna is a good and skilled champion

i love my egirl status

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Here are a few things I've experienced the last few days while bouncing between d2 10 lp and d2 80 lp trying to hit d1 that I want to share to get off my chest.

Two enemy team xerath's and a zoe using scripts.
A support xerath on my team that ambushed the support nami at lvl 6, he died 1vs1 with the nami still at 100% health, he ended the game with less damage dealt as full selfish items vs the full support active nami.
A team that was 3 or 4 people autofilled or secondary positions with nearly everyone swapping roles to accommodate, it didn't work out well.
Another game with a guy autofilled to support, he intentionally fed and was level 4 15 minutes in.
Multiple lanes that show no reaction while farming to the enemy jungler walking over wards and scuttle vision and ignore multiple danger pings on the jungler and themselves who then die to that jungler and then type up rants about how much better and fed that jungler is.

There is no rating high enough to escape elo hell.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
500 NA was okay

Teikanmi
Dec 16, 2006

by R. Guyovich

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here are a few things I've experienced

Preseason? Or maybe you need to duo and just accept the queue times to guarantee you trust at least one person to not be a complete mongoloid retard on your team? I dunno man, good luck :glomp:

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Sexpansion posted:

Ding ding

wtf.

Really we lost to Trynd split pushing and our team being complete idiots, but still. wtf

why is everybody in this game negative

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

How can you be mad about losing to a split pushing Trynd named Gank This Booty?!?

Camel Camus
Jun 16, 2009

Mais, non, je suis fantastique!

Killed By Death posted:

Same, but unironically :twisted:
As opposed to now where you max Q, which does nothing in those situations either?

Yes he will continue to suck I'm glad we're on the same page.

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luna Was Here posted:

why is everybody in this game negative

I think toxicity is a requisite for installing League of Legends

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.

Addamere posted:

I think toxicity is a requisite for installing League of Legends
I swear Mr Lyte it wasnt me that typed 300 racial slurs it was my brother

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Mister Lyte you could have saved her, i gave you all the clues

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

rabidsquid posted:

Mister Lyte you could have saved her, i gave you all the clues

this is just the n-word over and over

RealFoxy
May 11, 2011

I'm not making a fucking QCS thread for this but seriously can we take a harder stance on Kiwifarms freaks like this guy, Jesus Christ seriously, you used to be better at knocking these creeps down. I guess ADTRW mods aren't responsible like GBS mods are.
Really a missed boat on someone not making parody song of Lyte with the Santa Clause theme after it came out he was taking nude pictures of his girlfriend while she was sleeping and sending them to her after they broke up

Addamere
Jan 3, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RealFoxy posted:

Really a missed boat on someone not making parody song of Lyte with the Santa Clause theme after it came out he was taking nude pictures of his girlfriend while she was sleeping and sending them to her after they broke up

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lB8ZsjMhy5M

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
watching tyler1 slam out an all caps GGWP at the games he won while leaving silently evertime he loses has confirmed everything I've ever thought about lol sportsmanship.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Because there isn't any other character handing off 120 AP in stats to a second character right now.

I'm not sure what your trying to get at or why it bothers you I brought up deathcap relating to nunu's new thing.

it’s just not a meaningful point or criticism. it actually makes it harder to gauge the impact of a change if you filter it through that conditional. that’s why i asked why you said it, because it didn’t seem useful - any more so than saying rylais offers 101AP

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Here are a few things I've experienced the last few days while bouncing between d2 10 lp and d2 80 lp trying to hit d1 that I want to share to get off my chest.

Two enemy team xerath's and a zoe using scripts.
A support xerath on my team that ambushed the support nami at lvl 6, he died 1vs1 with the nami still at 100% health, he ended the game with less damage dealt as full selfish items vs the full support active nami.
A team that was 3 or 4 people autofilled or secondary positions with nearly everyone swapping roles to accommodate, it didn't work out well.
Another game with a guy autofilled to support, he intentionally fed and was level 4 15 minutes in.
Multiple lanes that show no reaction while farming to the enemy jungler walking over wards and scuttle vision and ignore multiple danger pings on the jungler and themselves who then die to that jungler and then type up rants about how much better and fed that jungler is.

elo hell is the belief that you deserve an experience that positively differs from the norm (4 feeders and one inter per game, every second game is 74 minutes long) and elo heaven is the realization that these things are fun

edit: yknow i haven’t seen scripters for ages, you’re positive you had that many? i wonder if there’s a new thing

strong bird
May 12, 2009

Wghat does 'inter' mean in context of League of Legends

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost
elo heaven doesn't exist because league of legends isn't fun

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012

strong bird posted:

Wghat does 'inter' mean in context of League of Legends

Intentional feeder.