Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

well why not posted:

I have my desktop + laptop on wifi where I'm staying currently. The AP is a fair distance from my desk, which I can't change. Wifi gets to my laptop (macbook pro) just fine and I get 28mb/s on fast.com.

My windows box (which I just popped a TP-Link Archer T6e into) struggles to connect and hasn't got above 1mb/s on fast.com.

Is this a windows thing? It's a pretty beefy wifi card and I struggle to believe it has worse reception than my macbook and android phone.

Do you place the antenna on the desktop's wifi int he same location as the laptop's antenna goes? Have you tried buying a replacement antenna that you can locate elsewhere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

astral
Apr 26, 2004

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

This was technical a new build and yeah it doesn't consistently list in the windows update history. You can see it in the legacy "installed updates" view in the control panel.

What? I'm still on regular CU but

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

fishmech posted:

Do you place the antenna on the desktop's wifi int he same location as the laptop's antenna goes? Have you tried buying a replacement antenna that you can locate elsewhere?

In a similar spot yeah, but I'll try getting it exactly the same position tonight. Still using the stock antennae. They're kinda small.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

astral posted:

Might be an SCCM thing in my case, but that same view does not list the KB on my test VM despite having the patch. Legacy control panel lists it.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

astral posted:

I don't see this update either here or in my control panel view.

I'm using a coffee lake. I read that antivirus can interfere with the meltdown/spectre patches but I use avira which is on the list of antiviruses that shouldn't interfere

Is O&O shutup known to cause anything like this?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

well why not posted:

In a similar spot yeah, but I'll try getting it exactly the same position tonight. Still using the stock antennae. They're kinda small.

Some of those stock antennas can be really lovely even if the card itself is good.

You can get replacement antennas that are designed to run along a long cable back to the computer so that you can place them even in another room in the search for best signal from a fixed point router.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
Is there a version of classic shell that works for the latest release?

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.
I have a Win7 Pro desktop and I'm thinking of picking up a new SSD and installing Windows 10 to it. Is there any truth to some reports I've seen around the web that you can still use an active Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on the same machine? I'm seeing some sites say that it still works as recently as October, but there seems to be some conflicting information out there.

Basically what I want to do is this:

1. Create Windows 10 installation DVD
2. Install new SSD alongside my old HDD (which has Windows 7 installed on it)
3. Boot from the DVD and install Windows 10 to the new SSD
4. Use my Windows 7 product key when asked
5. Now have Windows 10 installed on my SSD, with all of my files still intact on my old HDD

Is this feasible, or is there some blatantly obvious reason why this wouldn't work that I'm missing because I'm dumb?

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I have a Win7 Pro desktop and I'm thinking of picking up a new SSD and installing Windows 10 to it. Is there any truth to some reports I've seen around the web that you can still use an active Windows 7 key to activate Windows 10 on the same machine? I'm seeing some sites say that it still works as recently as October, but there seems to be some conflicting information out there.

5. Now have Windows 10 installed on my SSD, with all of my files still intact on my old HDD

Is this feasible, or is there some blatantly obvious reason why this wouldn't work that I'm missing because I'm dumb?

Don't burn a DVD in the year 2018, first off. You should only be installing Windows 10 from a USB drive if you'll be doing things like that, which the program that fetches the installation files can do for you.

Also what you should do is back up your current Windows 7 install, do a Windows 10 upgrade from within Windows, and then clone that over to your SSD. This minimizes the risk of problems with the key. Alternately you can clone your existing Windows 7 install to the SSD first, and then do the upgrade from there.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Uhh yeah I'd say clone first so you're backed up if something goes wrong. And physically unplug that hdd before starting the upgrade.

E: I meant backed up in the sense of having a working OS ready to fall back to.

Hipster_Doofus fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Jan 10, 2018

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

fishmech posted:

Don't burn a DVD in the year 2018, first off. You should only be installing Windows 10 from a USB drive if you'll be doing things like that, which the program that fetches the installation files can do for you.

I have a shitton of USB drives lying around but none of them are 8GB :saddowns:

In any case, I think I'm going to try cloning the HDD, run Windows 7 through the SSD, and then run the upgrade from there. I was hesitant about cloning because the SSD is much smaller than my hard drive, but turns out most of my hard drive is full of Steam games I don't play anymore, and uninstalling them looks like it'll be enough to make it fit. I also have a backup ready on an external drive in case something goes seriously wrong and I somehow gently caress up both internal drives. Worst-case scenario, I end up using the SSD to run Windows 7 and still get the improved speed.

Kerning Chameleon
Apr 8, 2015

by Cyrano4747
I'd say just buy a 32 or 64 GB flash drive and just keep it around for this express purpose, they're cheap enough. I use mine for general storage on my softmodded Wii, and just copy the contents to a desktop when I need to use it as an install media, then reformat and copy everything back when that's done, but that's mostly me being a cheapass.

Also, if need be, you can have Win10 do a wipe and Clean Install after doing the upgrade and making sure it authenticated alright in case any weirdness crops up, since MS just keeps your Mobo+processor hash on their servers when authenticating Win10. It's real easy to reinstall and get going again even without linking to a Microsoft online account.

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Digirat posted:

Does windows 10 not list security updates in its update history? I kept automatic updates delayed as much as possible but just manually updated, and windows update now says I'm up to date. However I'm not seeing any recent security updates there except an old flash player one. the meltdown/spectre updates are not there.

If you are using the update deferral settings, those apply to manual update scans as well. If you want a recent update, you will need to drop the delay back down and check for updates again. After installing you can crank it back up to 30 days or whatever.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I did this a couple weeks ago and yes, using my Win 7 key in Win 10 worked perfectly.

I initially cloned my drive and upgraded that, but it was kind of janky. I received an SSD for Christmas (nerd) and installed it fresh with a key. No activation issues.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
there was talk that the start of 2018 was when microsoft was finally going to turn off the upgrades from old keys

but it was a ruse just like every previous time MS has said they were gonna stop giving away 10 for free

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Still, if you think you might want to upgrade at some point, you really should lock in the upgrade entitlement before they cut it off.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I used a Windows 7 key in an ancient OEM HP netbook and worked great to activate Windows 10 on my moms desktop.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

GreenNight posted:

I used a Windows 7 key in an ancient OEM HP netbook and worked great to activate Windows 10 on my moms desktop.

This is how you do it.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I then took the netbook to Best Buy and got a $30 gift card for it.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

I am loving frustrated, goons.

My workplace is starting to roll out Windows 10 for new workstations; all of our new PC builds will be 10. We're currently in the process of creating an image, customizing it, etc. The usual.

The problem is with metro apps (Or Modern Apps or whatever the gently caress Microsoft calls them these days). Pandora, Microsoft Solitaire, camera, maps, etc. We want to remove all of these apps AND KEEP THEM GONE for two reasons : 1) Is because people who use these PCs won't be able to resist playing with them, and 2) is because whenever a new user profile is created on that PC it takes longer the more metro apps there are.

What I've been trying to do is use elevated Powershell to run the following commands :
Get-appxpackage -allusers *PandoraMediaInc* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like "*PandoraMediaInc*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

This works for the most part, but I'm encountering two major issues with it.

First, it seems like some apps come back anyway. Pandora's a good example. It won't loving stay gone and I'm not sure why.
Second, it leaves behind a ton of broken start menu links under the 'create' and 'play' sections when a new user logs in.

So does anyone know how to get rid of these Modern/Metro apps, and make them STAY gone? And does anyone know how to force new user profiles to have a blank start menu and not auto-populate it with a bunch of garbage links that don't work because we've disabled that app?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

They suck, when I setup an office machine it seemed dumb AF to have no option to choose during install which BS spam apps get added automatically.

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
Nothing like PROFESSIONAL Windows loading Candy loving crush saga and XBOX garbage.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

They suck, when I setup an office machine it seemed dumb AF to have no option to choose during install which BS spam apps get added automatically.
The past four hours of my life have been nonstop frustration because nobody in Microsoft seems to have realized that there are environments where we wouldn't want their loving solitaire collection and other unproductive apps on a user's profile.

I mean, sure, the XBox UI and recording and poo poo is great and wonderful and fine for a home PC. It's great that they invested the time and effort to make it. But why the gently caress would I need any of it when on a medical clinic workstation?

redeyes
Sep 14, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
I think millennials are coding all software now. Makes sense. Who the hell wants to deal with that poo poo. Aspie Millennials, thats who.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

My friend, all of your problems can be solved by deleting c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\shell\defaultlayouts.xml before creating user accounts.

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
I'd think group policy would have settings to take care of those apps. Just set it up once on your domain and you should be set.

Knight007au
May 8, 2007
Has anyone been able to sysprep a windows 10 machine? I tried for a bit a little while ago and couldn't get it to work because of the app packages automatically updating . Is there some trick that I'm missing that makes it easy?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

If I remember right I had to strip out all the bundled Appx stuff before sysprep would run correctly, but that was back on 1511 or something and I figured it would be fixed by now.

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.
Windows 10 just served me a notification offering to change my background if it feels it's ~getting old~. It kicked me off foreground watching an Overwatch League stream...

Uh, no, gently caress off. It's just a dumb notification, but what if it had kicked me off playing Diablo 3 just as my hardcore character encounters a tough pack of elites or some poo poo?

Is this a new initiative? How can I prevent this from happening?

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I wonder when Microsoft is gonna realize people don't want all that much out of their operating systems, other than stability. We don't need their help finding Candy Crush or changing the wallpaper, just leave us alone and leave the application stuff to everyone else. If you're trying to crib off Mac OS, then crib the part where the bundled applications are utilitarian and tasteful, and let the user populate it with junk if they want to from the app store.

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Win + A, select quiet hours. If you haven't turned off game mode then I believe one of the actually useful things is does is suspend notifications while playing games, so that shouldn't be an issue.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

skooma512 posted:

I wonder when Microsoft is gonna realize people don't want all that much out of their operating systems, other than stability. We don't need their help finding Candy Crush or changing the wallpaper, just leave us alone and leave the application stuff to everyone else. If you're trying to crib off Mac OS, then crib the part where the bundled applications are utilitarian and tasteful, and let the user populate it with junk if they want to from the app store.

Never, because it doesn't make them as much money as doing what they're doing now.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Jan posted:

Windows 10 just served me a notification offering to change my background if it feels it's ~getting old~. It kicked me off foreground watching an Overwatch League stream...

Uh, no, gently caress off. It's just a dumb notification, but what if it had kicked me off playing Diablo 3 just as my hardcore character encounters a tough pack of elites or some poo poo?

Is this a new initiative? How can I prevent this from happening?

settings -> system -> notifications & actions

turn off the windows welcome experience, tips tricks & suggestions, cortana, and suggested

copy & paste the above into notepad, save it as "poo poo I have to do after every win10 major update.txt"
keep that handy because there's a bunch more crap to add to that list

Jan
Feb 27, 2008

The disruptive powers of excessive national fecundity may have played a greater part in bursting the bonds of convention than either the power of ideas or the errors of autocracy.

Klyith posted:

settings -> system -> notifications & actions

turn off the windows welcome experience, tips tricks & suggestions, cortana, and suggested

copy & paste the above into notepad, save it as "poo poo I have to do after every win10 major update.txt"
keep that handy because there's a bunch more crap to add to that list

I'm pretty sure I covered all my bases after Creators update (and Fall Creators is still deferred), but I might've missed something... I'll double check. :argh:

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Ghostlight posted:

My friend, all of your problems can be solved by deleting c:\users\default\appdata\local\microsoft\windows\shell\defaultlayouts.xml before creating user accounts.

That seems like it'd fix the start menu, but the apps are still there right? We've had SO many complaints that "When I sit down at a new computer, it takes ten minutes for it to start up!" Happens mainly with the floating assistants who go to different doctor's offices when the usual MA is out that day, but often enough still. Also turnover can be slightly high for some doctors and complaints happen there as well. I'd be OK with removing the start menu shortcuts and leaving it at that if the Modern apps didn't slow new profile creation WAY the gently caress down.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

khy posted:

I am loving frustrated, goons.

My workplace is starting to roll out Windows 10 for new workstations; all of our new PC builds will be 10. We're currently in the process of creating an image, customizing it, etc. The usual.

The problem is with metro apps (Or Modern Apps or whatever the gently caress Microsoft calls them these days). Pandora, Microsoft Solitaire, camera, maps, etc. We want to remove all of these apps AND KEEP THEM GONE for two reasons : 1) Is because people who use these PCs won't be able to resist playing with them, and 2) is because whenever a new user profile is created on that PC it takes longer the more metro apps there are.

What I've been trying to do is use elevated Powershell to run the following commands :
Get-appxpackage -allusers *PandoraMediaInc* | Remove-AppxPackage
Get-appxprovisionedpackage –online | where-object {$_.packagename –like "*PandoraMediaInc*"} | remove-appxprovisionedpackage –online

This works for the most part, but I'm encountering two major issues with it.

First, it seems like some apps come back anyway. Pandora's a good example. It won't loving stay gone and I'm not sure why.
Second, it leaves behind a ton of broken start menu links under the 'create' and 'play' sections when a new user logs in.

So does anyone know how to get rid of these Modern/Metro apps, and make them STAY gone? And does anyone know how to force new user profiles to have a blank start menu and not auto-populate it with a bunch of garbage links that don't work because we've disabled that app?

For the first part I do the same thing you're trying and it seems to work. Have you confirmed that the provisioning packages are actually being removed? fwiw I'm using the Education [enterprise] version, not sure if that matters.

For the second question you can create custom start menu layouts and import them as default for new users, or enforce the custom layout for all users through group policy: https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/deploymentguys/2016/03/07/windows-10-start-layout-customization/

E: you can also use the same method to create a custom list of default pinned apps on the taskbar so that the store and Edge aren't there. I don't have a link handy though

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.
Man, god forbid we could just have that ''Add or remove Windows components'" thing in the Control Pan... oh, right.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Hungry Computer posted:

For the first part I do the same thing you're trying and it seems to work. Have you confirmed that the provisioning packages are actually being removed? fwiw I'm using the Education [enterprise] version, not sure if that matters.

I did finally (2 hours after that post) find what was reinstalling Pandora and other apps. It was the windows store! Because 'Update apps automatically' was turned on, it was automatically reinstalling Pandora every time I'd uninstall it.

At this point I'm nearly done with the image we're prepping, but I am MORE than ready to garrote whatever rear end in a top hat in Microsoft designed this whole Modern Apps thing.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?
Oh, yeah that would do it, we have the store disabled by group policy :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

khy posted:

That seems like it'd fix the start menu, but the apps are still there right? We've had SO many complaints that "When I sit down at a new computer, it takes ten minutes for it to start up!" Happens mainly with the floating assistants who go to different doctor's offices when the usual MA is out that day, but often enough still. Also turnover can be slightly high for some doctors and complaints happen there as well. I'd be OK with removing the start menu shortcuts and leaving it at that if the Modern apps didn't slow new profile creation WAY the gently caress down.
The apps that you're having difficulty getting rid of are Microsoft's smart tile apps - the idea being that while provisioned apps are in the image, that doesn't help Microsoft push adverts because they can't just gently caress around with your system image. Instead, they pin tiles to your Start Menu that dynamically stream apps down to the system. The defaultlayout.xml contains a number of these tiles, and that's why they reappear when you try to powershell them away - the app is gone and then the system is like "wait, the Start Menu says I need to install this" and pulls it down again.

Deleting that file both forces Windows to create a true bare-bones default Start Menu of just Settings/Edge/Store, and also prevents these dynamically streaming apps from being pinned and therefore installed and then broken tiled after being manually removed.