Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Feels Villeneuve posted:

I can't wait for Night in the Woods to inexplicably cost $60 and for me to buy it just because the box art will look so cool

This but Kentucky Route Zero

Macaluso posted:

I'll begrudgingly allow someone to not like the art style, even though they're a big stupid idiot, but to say the LEVEL DESIGN in Tropical Freeze is bland or BAD in any way is loving ludicrous and objectively wrong. Like holy poo poo

This is a really good video on how Tropical Freeze's level design is extremely thoughtful
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JqHcE6B4OP4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

What does this mean? The online aspect won't be hosted on a player's console?

EDIT: Furthermore, if/when they shut down the servers, does that mean that you won't be able to play online at that point?

yeah. they are all like this tho i think? not sure, i've only played dark souls 1-3 on pc but i always thought they were peer to peer.

i know they are shutting down the demon souls servers on ps3 next month tho, if you want a time frame or something.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

I'll begrudgingly allow someone to not like the art style, even though they're a big stupid idiot, but to say the LEVEL DESIGN in Tropical Freeze is bland or BAD in any way is loving ludicrous and objectively wrong. Like holy poo poo

Tropical Freeze is basically unimpeachable but I do think the level design in Returns is a little more interesting in terms of weird gimmicks that work like the giant egg that loses pieces as it rolls. I'll have to play both again though to pass true judgment as one of our resident Kong experts.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

hcreight posted:

There was a "Also Kirby fans check out the demo for the new 3DS Kirby game!" mention snuck in there.

The poor 3DS is officially getting the Vita treatment from Nintendo.

Seems more like it’s getting the “device that was their flagship handheld for six years but is now being phased out in favor of its successor” treatment.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

I can udnerstand why $60 is a dealbreaker for two ports but on the other hand I don't mind so much since they're absolutely A+ in terms of quality and replayability. TWEWY is more justified as a port for sure, I don't want to play that with touch-only on an iPad

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

How does Tropical Freeze compare to (3DS) DKC Returns?

Because I loved DKC1 and 2 but could never get into 3 and lost interest in Returns rather quickly: it didn't feel like it brought anything new to the table, and at least as far as I got actually felt like it had fewer gameplay styles than 1/2.

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Hammer Bro. posted:

Because I loved DKC1 and 2 but could never get into 3 and lost interest in Returns rather quickly: it didn't feel like it brought anything new to the table, and at least as far as I got actually felt like it had fewer gameplay styles than 1/2.

DKC Returns is great but Tropical Freeze eclipsed it, and possibly all the other DKC games. The level designs in Tropical Freeze are a clinic in god-tier platforming. You get 3 buddies to play with now too so you get even more playstyles.

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I played a chunk of TWEWY on iPad years ago and didn't like it that much

Souls and Mario Tennis are more appealing

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Hammer Bro. posted:

DKCR is good but Tropical Freeze is a huge improvement in every way

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Vikar Jerome posted:

yeah. they are all like this tho i think? not sure, i've only played dark souls 1-3 on pc but i always thought they were peer to peer.

i know they are shutting down the demon souls servers on ps3 next month tho, if you want a time frame or something.

2 and 3 use a matchmaking server but the actual coop happens peer to peer I think.
While 1s matchmaking is peer to peer too, and takes forever to populate signs.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Hammer Bro. posted:

It's even better than Returns, although the fact that you didn't like returns means this probably tells you nothing. I thought Returns had really great and creative level design, and Tropical Freeze just takes it up a notch. There are fewer levels, but the levels are a lot longer, so in terms of sidescrolling distance travelled it's probably still on par with the others. Mark Brown did a whole video on how DKCR2 successfully evolves Nintendo's traditional level design philosophy.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Tender Bender posted:

Tropical Freeze is basically unimpeachable but I do think the level design in Returns is a little more interesting in terms of weird gimmicks that work like the giant egg that loses pieces as it rolls. I'll have to play both again though to pass true judgment as one of our resident Kong experts.

The mine cart stage with the egg was indeed REALLY awesome and one of the most memorable bits from the first game, but I still think TF is just way better in general in terms of level design. The way each level builds itself up and ramps up is so so impressive. One of the endgame stages where you go up a mountain during an avalanche is SO loving cool. Like I'd love to see the level design documents when they were creating that level because nothing in that stage is static

Also the rocket barrel stage where you go through the fruit processing plant is one of the most creative levels in any video game I've ever played. It absolutely blew me away

The first game edges TF out though in terms of difficulty. The first one is WAY harder. I had to put my 3DS down multiple times during a lot of the temple and endgame stuff because I was getting so angry I didn't want to risk breaking my 3DS in half

Macaluso fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Jan 11, 2018

buffbus
Nov 19, 2012

Fuzz posted:

So I'm mostly going to be using this in portable mode and I have huge hands (can palm a basketball,most of the size is in the fingers :gay:) and from my experience with the 3DS, I need a grip. Any goons have one? Was thinking about this:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07457V4XJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_OZfvAbRVG6661

But not sure if it's quality or not. Don't have a preference on TPU vs hard plastic, and I have the Zelda SE case to carry the thing around in, my main concern is ease of taking it off and good shape/size inn the grips.

And yes, I already ordered an Ozrly screen protector.

Looked at the others you mentioned as well and I have to say this one in the quoted post is pretty good as long as you dont plan on removing it often. The TPU is of a very good quality, perfect grip without feeling sticky. Some parts are thin enough that I could see them stretching or cracking with repeated removal and reapplication. This does add a noticeable amount of weight but not enough to be fatiguing. I love how it now feels much nicer to plunk down on a desk or granite counter. The bump outs aren't quite big enough to palm grip the switch but holding it with just 3 or 4 fingers (depending on trigger use) is very comfortable now. For reference, I can't quite palm a basketball but have no trouble swinging a leather football around in one hand.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

Macaluso posted:

The mine cart stage with the egg was indeed REALLY awesome and one of the most memorable bits from the first game, but I still think TF is just way better in general in terms of level design. The way each level builds itself up and ramps up is so so impressive. One of the endgame stages where you go up a mountain during an avalanche is SO loving cool. Like I'd love to see the level design documents when they were creating that level because nothing in that stage is static

Also the rocket barrel stage where you go through the fruit processing plant is one of the most creative levels in any video game I've ever played. It absolutely blew me away

The first game edges TF out though in terms of difficulty. The first one is WAY harder. I had to put my 3DS down multiple times during a lot of the temple and endgame stuff because I was getting so angry I didn't want to risk breaking my 3DS in half

Yea, that's true. And the big circle of life savanna level was awesome... And the storm level... I love the mountain world 2 setting with the owls a ton too. You know what I think I'm edging more towards team tropical freeze.

Noctone
Oct 25, 2005

XO til we overdose..
BotW is gonna ruin my life if I don’t start exercising some willpower. :argh: Forgot to eat dinner last night and got literally zero sleep because every time I was like “ok after this I’m going to bed” I’d spy another shrine or a shooting star or the Lord of the Mountain would make an appearance or any of the other slew of ways this game hooks you.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
Bopopolis gave me more trouble than anything I'd encountered in DKR, and that was playing with waggle.

Vookatos
May 2, 2013

Tender Bender posted:

DKCR had way better minecart and rocket barrel levels (I'd prefer to have them over water levels in TF), but I think generally the gimmicks and overall atmosphere in Returns was a bit more bland. Rocket barrels and minecarts had eggs, bats, bombs, all kinds of weird poo poo. Normal levels, hovewer, would often focus on a single enemy type, or something quite basic (climbing, vines, floating platforms, etc.). As mentioned in the video posted above, TF usually combines its gimmicks, so levels never really feel like they just focus on something too hard. The only level in Returns that feels that way is that Ruins level where you go to the beach, then board some ships and sink one of them. I still love Returns and think it's one of the best platformers, but TF really is better in almost every way.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

quadruple cuck posted:

I played a chunk of TWEWY on iPad years ago and didn't like it that much

Souls and Mario Tennis are more appealing

Honestly TWEWY probably isn't the same experience at all without two screens. The more I think about it, the more I'd rather see an enhanced 3DS version than a Switch version. Without controlling two characters separately with two different input methods on two screens, I can't imagine it's all that special (except with the aesthetics/music, I suppose).

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

njsykora posted:

It is time.

Nintendo Direct Mini 11th January 2018

The World Ends With You is being remade for Switch
Pokken DLC is coming
Hyrule Warriors GOTY edition
Mario Tennis Aces
Ys VIII
Luigi coming to Mario Odyssey
DKC Tropical Freeze to Switch
Dark Souls Remastered

It's literally everything I wanted and more.

God bless Nintendo.

tyler
Jun 2, 2014

Dark Souls on switch. Best console ever.

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Tropical Freeze was great. I hope you suckers getting it for triple what I got it for two years ago have a great time with it! :)

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Vookatos posted:

DKCR had way better minecart and rocket barrel levels (I'd prefer to have them over water levels in TF), but I think generally the gimmicks and overall atmosphere in Returns was a bit more bland. Rocket barrels and minecarts had eggs, bats, bombs, all kinds of weird poo poo. Normal levels, hovewer, would often focus on a single enemy type, or something quite basic (climbing, vines, floating platforms, etc.). As mentioned in the video posted above, TF usually combines its gimmicks, so levels never really feel like they just focus on something too hard. The only level in Returns that feels that way is that Ruins level where you go to the beach, then board some ships and sink one of them. I still love Returns and think it's one of the best platformers, but TF really is better in almost every way.

I think the big difference that TF does when it comes to level design compared to Returns, is that TF's levels tell a story. Especiallly the mine cart and rocket barrel ones. In the first game, it's mostly just you going through a stage avoiding obstacles. It really didn't go deeper than that most of the time. Sure the bat chase ramps up and sort of has a beginning middle and end, but just barely. Not that it made the levels bad of course, but the second game seems to have an actual beginning, middle, climax and resolution to MOST of their stages (the avalanch stage and the last rocket barrel stage don't really tell a story as much) almost like telling a story. The rocket barrel and mine cart stages especially. To use my favorite level again, Reckless Ride, you start off entering the fruit processing plant. It starts off pretty calmly with just weaving around the fruit being collected from the jungle. Then you hit the first encounter with the penguin and his "mech". You then enter the factory itself, and have a second confrontation with him. You then enter the deep cutting up and juicing section of the factory and it climaxes with a final "battle" with the penguin. It resolves at the end with him hitting a bridge and getting ejected letting you safely exit the factory. Like if this was a cartoon you could easily retell that without gameplay. But it has gameplay and it's awesome

edit: I don't agree about DKCR having better minecart or rocket barrel levels. TF blew them out of the water IMO

Fremry
Nov 4, 2003

Hammer Bro. posted:

Returns on 3DS was kinda meh for me. I beat it but didn't feel anything particularly stellar about it. Tropical Freeze however is one of my favorite 2D platformers of all time.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Hi just popping in to say I'm going to buy the TWEWY Remaster thing unless they balls it up somehow.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Is Mario Tennis out yet? I haven't played any since the N64 version.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
I can't wait for the Mario 3D World port that adds Wario with the warioland charge

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe

Pureauthor posted:

Hi just popping in to say I'm going to buy the TWEWY Remaster thing unless they balls it up somehow.

The World Ends With You is fantastic. I couldn't justify buying it again at full retail, but I think other people absolutely should, especially if it means we eventually get a sequel.

Vikar Jerome
Nov 26, 2013

I believe Emmanuelle is shit, though Emmanuelle 2, Emmanuelle '77 and Goodbye, Emmanuelle may be very good movies.
can't wait for a chrono trigger ds switch port set at $60.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
We need modern Diablo 3 with the awesome PS4 controls on this thing.

a.lo
Sep 12, 2009

No FZero Ranmers

turns out that leaked pic was fake!

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Patter Song posted:

Tropical Freeze was great. I hope you suckers getting it for triple what I got it for two years ago have a great time with it! :)

How much did you REALLY pay for it when you factor in the Nintendo Switch Beta Hardware that you bought?

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Fun Shoe

Vikar Jerome posted:

can't wait for a chrono trigger ds switch port set at $60.

If other DS games are getting ported, I'd like to see a Dragon Quest IV-VI DS collection HD port. That would probably be worth $60 because those games are pretty pricey now. (Dragon Quest VI DS costs nearly $60 now on its own)

Still think that Square-Enix missed a real chance with not doing Final Fantasy V or VI for the 3DS the way they did III and IV for the DS.

dragon enthusiast
Jan 1, 2010
The only thing I'm hoping for Mario Tennis is that they don't cock it up with gimmicky powerups like pretty much every game since 64

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Not getting my hopes up for the new Mario Tennis after how they pulled 3DS's Golf single player.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

a.lo posted:

No FZero Ranmers

turns out that leaked pic was fake!

They removed it for a later time due to the leak.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Here’s hoping we can set up Tennis tournaments like we could with golf on the 3DS

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

GreenNight posted:

New Mario Tennis too.

I don't know, the last ones really haven't been good. The last good one was GBA and...

njsykora posted:

Made by Camelot with a story mode, basically fixing every issue I've had with recent Mario Tennis games.

Well gently caress me. I cannot wait to buy this.

Dark Souls is great too and gonna buy it. It's amazing that the first console I buy since the Wii is just this good.

Is Tropical Freeze Wii U like the 3DS version? I played it a bit after having binged the SNES games and I really didn't like. Felt too floaty and janky. I could revisit it as I love the genre... but I don't know.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Never played a mario tennis game, will it have bowser? This is important.

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Oxygen Deficiency posted:

Never played a mario tennis game, will it have bowser? This is important.

Yup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Waluigi is the best tennis player on the N64 ver.

• Locked thread