Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Mailer posted:

If you want to know why they're low in that list you'd need a psychologist who was willing to dissect reddit. Willing to bet that half that thread are now loudly proclaiming their support for whatever is on the bottom of the list.

Oh I thought we were talking about the goon poll which currently has DB at the bottom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?
I've never been into DB, but it deffo clicked when I tried it in the demo, so that and lance may be my go-to weapons this time.

Also I've been thinking about this a lot since I'm dragging friends new to the franchise into World, how do you go about getting new folks acclimated? I figured I'd use unfamiliar weapons and shittier armor and not be a walking encyclopedia outside of lore and gameplay basics.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

Dual blades not being high aside. Goon poll looks a lot 'Better' then the Reddit poll.

Which was charge blade looks strongest so must use, and we all want horn buddies but refuse to be horn buddies.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

The goon poll is right because switch axe is at the top :discourse:

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
I'm gonna try and avoid my usual weapons, switch Axe and long sword in favour of things I want to learn like gunlance and hunting horn. Probably will still use them, though.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:
I pretty much selected everything that wasn't a sword. The local groups always had a bunch of greatsword/ longsword/dual blade players so I never felt the need.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

When's the next demo? Gotta make friends try it more.

pulp rag
Feb 25, 2013

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
For me, I just don't enjoy a weapon that makes me pay attention to a meter.

Big, dumb Greatsword for life.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

Bombadilillo posted:

When's the next demo? Gotta make friends try it more.

8 days, 3 hours, 9 minutes, 28 seconds

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Meldonox posted:

I've never been into DB, but it deffo clicked when I tried it in the demo, so that and lance may be my go-to weapons this time.

Also I've been thinking about this a lot since I'm dragging friends new to the franchise into World, how do you go about getting new folks acclimated? I figured I'd use unfamiliar weapons and shittier armor and not be a walking encyclopedia outside of lore and gameplay basics.

I'd agree on the walking encyclopedia part. I indulge myself in this thread but as you can see from some of the replies it can turn people off a lot. What I've had success with is acting as an amplifier to their own enthusiasm. You can give some basic pointers, send them on their way, and then when they come back with "yo I did x and y and it was sick now I wanna start doing z" you can get hype with them and help them accomplish that goal.

I also don't think you need to handicap yourself all that much. Hunts are long enough in MH that as long as you are using rank-appropriate gear (Like don't bring HR Teostra poo poo to a LR Great Jaggras fight) you aren't going to totally trivialize it. One thing you can do with equipment though is go all in on support. Bring a hunting horn or light bowgun and turn them into MH gods. You basically want them to get the itch, once it catches the game will take care of the rest. The more you can make their initial experience fun the better they're going to like the game.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
DBs were my go to since I solo'd all of 3U using them. That spinning slash has to be the best move in the game.
Don't think I'm going to use them in World. They didn't really add much aside from that crazy Attack on Titan move. Which iiis awesome though.

There's too many other weapons with cool new poo poo I wanna try. I voted for like 7 different weapons in that poll. I think I may be in trouble. :ohdear:

Meldonox
Jan 13, 2006

Hey, are you listening to a word I'm saying?

AttackBacon posted:

I'd agree on the walking encyclopedia part. I indulge myself in this thread but as you can see from some of the replies it can turn people off a lot. What I've had success with is acting as an amplifier to their own enthusiasm. You can give some basic pointers, send them on their way, and then when they come back with "yo I did x and y and it was sick now I wanna start doing z" you can get hype with them and help them accomplish that goal.

I also don't think you need to handicap yourself all that much. Hunts are long enough in MH that as long as you are using rank-appropriate gear (Like don't bring HR Teostra poo poo to a LR Great Jaggras fight) you aren't going to totally trivialize it. One thing you can do with equipment though is go all in on support. Bring a hunting horn or light bowgun and turn them into MH gods. You basically want them to get the itch, once it catches the game will take care of the rest. The more you can make their initial experience fun the better they're going to like the game.
That's a great way to approach it, I think I'll do that. These are friends who are pretty excited for the kind of gameplay, almost as much as the opportunity to hang out (our schedules have been incompatible for years). I used to solo 4U G-rank with horn, so I should be at least somewhat competent with it still. LBG is something I've wanted to try as a support weapon too. I'll feed the hype until they're really feeling it on their own. Goddamn I'm excited to get to it.

I wonder how early on I should bring them into multiplayer. The demo's balance may have been weird, but I was killing stuff solo in maybe a quarter to a third of the time it took with a buddy of mine who was a (very) rusty veteran.

katkillad2
Aug 30, 2004

Awake and unreal, off to nowhere

Countblanc posted:

The best part of Hammer is that people generally accept that you get the head, no questions asked, and that makes you feel like a big badass

You would think that... Maybe I'm talking out of my rear end but I feel like at some point they gave one of the blade weapons KO damage and then there were 2-3 people fighting over the head when I'm trying to hammertime. Or maybe I was just playing with pubbies too much. I just remember it being pretty frustrating the last 3DS Monhun I played.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

carve the meat
https://twitter.com/KamuiCosplay/status/945997413315239936

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

CodfishCartographer posted:

Oh I thought we were talking about the goon poll which currently has DB at the bottom.

Ahhh... my bad. I thought we were talking about the reddit one. If you want a rational reason - DB has the least novelty. It's really good consistent damage but you don't do anything. You mash attacks on the legs until a monster falls down then you mash attacks on the head/tail until it stands back up. Hunting Horn might be objectively worse damage than anything else but at least there are mechanics to use.

I'm kinda surprised by SA, though. It has kinda just been what it is since Tri and I thought people would be bored with it. Hunting Horn I'm assuming is just goons gooning it up. The rest is pretty much what I'd expect.

Hypha
Sep 13, 2008

:commissar:

Mailer posted:

Ahhh... my bad. I thought we were talking about the reddit one. If you want a rational reason - DB has the least novelty. It's really good consistent damage but you don't do anything. You mash attacks on the legs until a monster falls down then you mash attacks on the head/tail until it stands back up. Hunting Horn might be objectively worse damage than anything else but at least there are mechanics to use.

I'm kinda surprised by SA, though. It has kinda just been what it is since Tri and I thought people would be bored with it. Hunting Horn I'm assuming is just goons gooning it up. The rest is pretty much what I'd expect.

My issue with DB is that it doesn't really do something that another weapon can't do. It pumps out damage and maybe status and that is about it. I like hammer for setting up knock outs for people, switch axe for getting obnoxious tails, lance for surgical removal, gunning for hard to reach parts/ I don't wanna stand next to you monsters, charge blade because :iia: etc.

BabelFish
Jul 20, 2013

Fallen Rib
I've always found hunting horn to be the most enjoyable weapon, since it combines slower hits with high movement speed. The new UI elements are going to make it way easier to have a stable of horns to suit the monster I'm fighting, having HG earplugs and buffet protection for something like Rathalos adds a ton of free hits to the fight.

Plus, no other weapon lets you rock out while you knock out.

Alpha Phoenix
Feb 26, 2007

That is a peckin' lot of bird...
:kazooieass::kazooieass::kazooieass:

AttackBacon posted:

I also don't think you need to handicap yourself all that much. Hunts are long enough in MH that as long as you are using rank-appropriate gear (Like don't bring HR Teostra poo poo to a LR Great Jaggras fight) you aren't going to totally trivialize it.

Or, You can use G-rank gear... with Stone weapons...

Rascyc
Jan 23, 2008

Dissatisfied Puppy
When I help my friends who just like to gently caress around in low rank, I just grab a paralysis SnS set and do stupid stylish bombing and poo poo.

Paralysis DBs if they are really bad that day.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Goon weapon use poll so far:

You Only Use It Because It’s Popular Tier
Switch Axe
Hunting Horn
Heavy Bowgun

Yeah I see It Every Once In A While Tier
Hammer
Gun Lance
Bow - Charge Blade
Great Sword - Insect Glaive - Lance

You Only Use It Because It’s Unpopular Tier
Long Sword
Dual Blades- Light Bowgun
Sword And Shield

Frankly I'm surprised to see Long Sword and Great Sword so low.

CodfishCartographer fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Jan 11, 2018

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Great Sword seems like it's hard to use but without the fun gimmicks of other hard-to-use weapons.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug

PerniciousKnid posted:

Great Sword seems like it's hard to use but without the fun gimmicks of other hard-to-use weapons.

True, I was just under the impression it was one of the more popular weapons, same with Long Sword.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

PerniciousKnid posted:

The fun gimmick of the Greatsword is the titanic numbers you see when you put a level 3 charge into a soft spot, which is pretty rewarding and honestly feels significantly harder to manage than a lot of the gimmick weapons' gimmicks so I can understand why it's not the most popular weapon. You spend a lot of time not doing any real numbers in order to do big numbers on that weapon and if you gently caress up your windows you feel like you're doing gently caress all.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
There's not really any good way to interpret a poll where you can vote for as many things as you want. There could be 29 people maining long sword and 0 maining Hunting Horn with 56 people that want to keep one around for fun.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I am going to main Bow, though. I worked my rear end off to control it properly in MHFU, and I'll be damned if I'm not going to rock it when it actually has a sane control scheme on the PS4.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
I'm surprised at the discrepancy between Heavy and Light Bowguns, myself. Wow.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009
It seems like GS got a little more complicated with the addition of the third true charge. It seems like the draw charge got nerfed a bit from previous games and all the damage is in the true charge now. I know you can shoulder cancel into the third charge but it's still gonna be tough to pull off reliably. Crit draw might change things if that's still a skill.

The flipping true charge feels goddamn awesome when it lands though. So I like it, don't get me wrong.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Every MH game I tell myself "this is the one I main GS," and every time it's a lie. Still clicked it on the survey, though.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream

Roland Jones posted:

I'm surprised at the discrepancy between Heavy and Light Bowguns, myself. Wow.

LBG is just too cute for its own good. Why bother with statuses and elemental shots when you can just use HBG and blow poo poo up?

Arrgytehpirate
Oct 2, 2011

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I will probably gunlance or maybe lance so I can learn the game with less dying.

I plan to try them all though since it’s my first game and if something really clicks I’ll use that instead.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

moush posted:

LBG is just too cute for its own good. Why bother with statuses and elemental shots when you can just use HBG and blow poo poo up?

Elemental pierce shots were awesome in Gen. Loved going into people's Plesi urgents and killing it in 2 minutes with thunder pierce shots.

That musket LBG that explodes everything was awesome too. Though it launches everyone away in multiplayer.

Oh and status gunning.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

moush posted:

But if you're rolling with groups, everybody's going to love those status shots when they result in the monster getting its rear end paralyzed so that they can all go full ham on the beast.

DaNerd
Sep 15, 2009

u br?

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Elemental pierce shots were awesome in Gen. Loved going into people's Plesi urgents and killing it in 2 minutes with thunder pierce shots.

That musket LBG that explodes everything was awesome too. Though it launches everyone away in multiplayer.

Oh and status gunning.

I made the felyne LBG just to thunder rapid shot Plesi to death in FU. So goddamn satisfying.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Nothing will surpass 4U's Seregios LBG with it's auto-reload on dodge for an endless stream of Normal2 rapid-fire.

Devlan Mud
Apr 10, 2006

I'll hear your stories when we come back, alright?
At least in the past the problem with LBG was endgame needing (slightly) different armor sets for each element and switching up everything depending on what hunt you’re going on, in 4U I had upwards of half a dozen item sets and armor sets depending on which LBG was ideal for certain hunts. Gen only having eight item sets (lol) basically made me pass up playing LBG then, although internal ammo kinda alleviated some of that, but not enough to make it attractive, especially when internal ammo also gave you the Mizu HBG with piercing water shots. Who needs an LBG then?

HBG you just make a pierce set and maybe a normal set and that’s that. No idea how it’ll end up in MH:W since I haven’t really looked into it.

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

Devlan Mud posted:

HBG you just make a pierce set and maybe a normal set and that’s that. No idea how it’ll end up in MH:W since I haven’t really looked into it.

Slicing shot outdamaged any kind of pierce shot in the demo, no matter the monster I think. Which was kind of lame. Hopefully pierce up skills give it a decent bump.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

When gunning is it "This monster is weak to these 2 bullets, use those then normal if you run out" I really disliked fighting the menu in the demo, I'd rather equip 3 types of ammo and not mess with it during a hunt. Just not for me.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.
Yeah, I'd main a ranged weapon if I didn't have to manage ammo or coatings at all.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
I got the impression you had to commit the time to manage/change your ammo, so you needed to wait for an opportunity to back off a little from the danger and calmly select the one you want to use, then go back into the fray.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I don't want to have to buy and craft and manage ammo at all. I want my gun to start the hunt with all the ammo it's going to get, and automatically reload at the start of each mission.