Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Hanjo is actually really fun. I've been going Redemption quest > kill minions on AA hit > anti-armor AAs > Ashe ult > Mounted Archery > Flawless Technique > Play of the Game. It gives him a lot of lane pressure and teamfight potential.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
Hanjo is a symptom of Blizzard's unfailing ability to not understand their game whatsoever. That new talent is busted as gently caress and should not exist.

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Ronnie posted:

I need advice on how to play Malthael.... In general. I get he is a tank buster but I feel he needs to level up first before being remotely useful and is only good in a 1v1 situation. Team fights and trying to control an objectives are never in my favour.
I'm having the same problem. He's fun to lane with but in team fights I either die instantly or accomplish nothing.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

may contain peanuts posted:

I'm having the same problem. He's fun to lane with but in team fights I either die instantly or accomplish nothing.

You probably were doing what I did as Malth at first, which is charge in a bit and assume you could heal the damage back. You can't and that's not your job. If you can hit people at the edge okay but don't get in the middle. Instead, looking for a squishy you can hit with your skillshot, then go for them. Basically hold down Q the whole time and be ready with your W for when they try to escape.

If you get tanks in your skillshot, or if the tank overextends you can do this to them as well. It's especially satisfying with Diablo.

If they have a lot of melee, pick the reaper's mark ultimate - if they keep just getting away pick the murder ult. Both can be very strong.

I am not a great player, but I do well with Malth (70% winrate, last season was gold 2). Sometimes I still do really stupid things with him and get myself killed in dumb ways, but he's really fun. It's also good to practice on bots for a bit to get the hang of him.

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Tip for playing Bunker Blaze:

Tell your team to stay way the gently caress away from the Bunker at all times and that you're only ever going to use it as Combo Bait. Usually they'll listen and you'll be able to use it in peace without your rear end in a top hat friends piling in and dying immediately.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Cavelcade posted:

If they have a lot of melee, pick the reaper's mark ultimate - if they keep just getting away pick the murder ult. Both can be very strong.

I am not a great player, but I do well with Malth (70% winrate, last season was gold 2). Sometimes I still do really stupid things with him and get myself killed in dumb ways, but he's really fun. It's also good to practice on bots for a bit to get the hang of him.

Is it actually worth picking the murder ult ever? I thought it was the AOE Reaper's Mark ult always, or did they finally nerf it hard enough?

Minorkos
Feb 20, 2010

My loving god Blizzard's drag scrolling is busted. I finally learned how to drag scroll in Dota 2 and then HotS goes and fucks up my muscle memory by having it work in a completely stupid way. Instead of grabbing onto the ground and "dragging" your camera viewpoint around, it keeps the mouse completely in place on the screen, which goes against all logic of how drag scrolling should work.

I can't stand going back to edge panning either so I guess I'll bind my camera controls to WASD or something

may contain peanuts
Sep 28, 2007

WOW what a grate sports paly by the 49rs (better than seahawks)

Cavelcade posted:

You probably were doing what I did as Malth at first, which is charge in a bit and assume you could heal the damage back. You can't and that's not your job. If you can hit people at the edge okay but don't get in the middle. Instead, looking for a squishy you can hit with your skillshot, then go for them. Basically hold down Q the whole time and be ready with your W for when they try to escape.

If you get tanks in your skillshot, or if the tank overextends you can do this to them as well. It's especially satisfying with Diablo.

Thanks for the tips. I always feel like to get the most value out of Tormented Souls I should try to have as many enemies in the AOE as possible, which is definitely at least part of why I explode at the start of every teamfight. I also have this problem on Kerrigan.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The right pick for Malth is Die Alone and Tormented Souls but most players refuse to believe in such "anti-synergy".

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I've come around on Fish Oil for Murky. It allows you an actual ranged option that's perfect for chasing enemy squishies (mages, Hanjos, etc) and gives an extra Slime proc. Also, with Blaze being so prevalent right now, pick Slime Time if you face him. He does so little damage that Murky can run around him and slime him up for tons of stacks.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
If you want to blow up squishy mobile heroes, take fish oil, if you want to kill heroes with no escapes or tanks, take the slime on melee.

Elysium
Aug 21, 2003
It is by will alone I set my mind in motion.
Murky might acuay have one of the most viable talent trees in the game. I definitely have my favorite build but I'm constantly going "ooh but what if I take that this game"

I actually MVP with murky yesterday, which as anyone who plays murky knows is actually super hard no matter how much you dominate the game because of the metrics they use to calculate it (mostly about dying)

Elysium fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Jan 10, 2018

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Blizzard artist responds to concerns about Blaze's model textures looking low-res.

MaliciousOnion
Sep 23, 2009

Ignorance, the root of all evil

Uh, I found this in the thread

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

MaliciousOnion posted:

from here

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

MaliciousOnion posted:

Dude in question is a SCII modder who also built Widowmaker using imported Heroes assets and did a bunch of other crazy poo poo. He's good at April Fool's.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
Unfortunately, I think Ravager Chromie's never gonna happen. They seem pretty loath to change the silhouette or outline of most characters; Infested Tychus is a grandfathered exception.

Ryuujin
Sep 26, 2007
Dragon God

... why is that an April Fool's? That stuff generally looks great.

beejay
Apr 7, 2002

Bogart posted:

Unfortunately, I think Ravager Chromie's never gonna happen. They seem pretty loath to change the silhouette or outline of most characters; Infested Tychus is a grandfathered exception.

This is honestly BS. Dreadlord Jaina. Any number of Kerrigan or Arthas skins. I'm sure there's more.

Ravager Chromie is not going to happen because it's fake and dumb. Also a little more than a "silhouette" change.

Cavelcade
Dec 9, 2015

I'm actually a boy!

No Wave posted:

The right pick for Malth is Die Alone and Tormented Souls but most players refuse to believe in such "anti-synergy".

Always pick die alone, it's very good. Tormented Souls is usually the right pick (>90% of the time I think) but sometimes you're in a fight where neither side will engage and people keep escaping with a small amount of health. I've found it useful in those situations.

In general, Tormented Souls is just fantastic.

may contain peanuts posted:

Thanks for the tips. I always feel like to get the most value out of Tormented Souls I should try to have as many enemies in the AOE as possible, which is definitely at least part of why I explode at the start of every teamfight. I also have this problem on Kerrigan.

Don't use it at the start of the fight either. It's amazing, but hold it back. If you can, get reaper's mark on someone in the middle of the fight once they're engaged, blink in and then activate it. If they don't all turn on you at once they're in for pain.

Alternatively, if you find yourself in a lot of poke fights, sometimes just taking the thing that finishes a person off is fine.

Oh also take the talent that gives you armour against physical attacks for each hero with reaper's mark, unless they're 4 magic heroes. Getting up to 50% reduction is amazing, and usually much better than extra healing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

carbot status: still a national treasure

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k5VgPRDFZfA

edit: the eye pop when he does the jet charge is adorable

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Add Talandar to the game already blizzard

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Kerrrrrrr posted:

agreed but mostly because it'll make people who want Fenix really mad

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Kerrrrrrr posted:

Add Selendis the Carrier and give her Planet Cracker ult :colbert:

And if you like fanmade skins I generally like everything this person has created

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Watching a pro play kelthuzad is a hell of a thing

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Elysium posted:

Murky might acuay have one of the most viable talent trees in the game. I definitely have my favorite build but I'm constantly going "ooh but what if I take that this game"

I actually MVP with murky yesterday, which as anyone who plays murky knows is actually super hard no matter how much you dominate the game because of the metrics they use to calculate it (mostly about dying)

There have been tons of games I've had recently with Murky where I, not to sound high and mighty here but, should've EASILY been MVP. Like games that straight up wouldn't have been won without me and where I just dominate. But the MVP system weighs deaths SO heavily, you can contribute next to nothing as long as you don't die.

I mean I guess MVP doesn't mean much anyway but like. drat. I'm Murkin up a storm, you best recognize that poo poo GAME

Also I'm glad to see people having fun with my Murky build :) Or even the one the other guy posted. Murky totally feels like one of the very few heroes where almost all his talents can be useful or fun.

Aerox
Jan 8, 2012

Macaluso posted:

Here's my build:

TY for this!

I haven't played HOTS in almost a year and I just went 3-0 in quickplay with this. In my last game I got a triple kill by myself.

Murky owns.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

Macaluso posted:

There have been tons of games I've had recently with Murky where I, not to sound high and mighty here but, should've EASILY been MVP. Like games that straight up wouldn't have been won without me and where I just dominate. But the MVP system weighs deaths SO heavily, you can contribute next to nothing as long as you don't die.

I mean I guess MVP doesn't mean much anyway but like. drat. I'm Murkin up a storm, you best recognize that poo poo GAME

Also I'm glad to see people having fun with my Murky build :) Or even the one the other guy posted. Murky totally feels like one of the very few heroes where almost all his talents can be useful or fun.

Yeah the deaths thing is why it's so easy to get mvp with Abathur if you're even half decent

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Macaluso posted:

The MVP system's calculation is known and it is fair to Murky.

quote:

1) Calculate MVP Score for each player:
* add kills
* add assists x [LostVikings=0.75, Abathur=0.8, other=1]
* add (timeSpentDead / gameLength) x 100 x [Murky=-1, Gall=-1, Cho=-0.85, other=-0.5]
* add 1 if player has top hero damage of his team
* add 1 if player has top hero damage of the match
* add 1 if player has top siege damage of his team
* add 1 if player has top siege damage of the match
* add 1 if player has top healing of the match
* add 1 if player has top XP contribution of his team
* add 1 if player has top XP contribution of the match
* add 0.5 if player is Warrior and has top damage received of his team
* add 1 if player is Warrior and has top damage received of the match

2) Pick player with highest MVP Score.
* If multiple players share highest score, pick the one with higher XP contribution (or random, if equal XP contribution).

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Note to self: this is a fun game, but it can morph into a chore if you don't go to bed. It is not your duty to continue playing each day until you hate yourself.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Gobbeldygook posted:

The MVP system's calculation is known and it is fair to Murky.

I guess you could call that "fair" technically but a good Murky should be off Doing Murky Things and will miss out on a lot of kill participation from the rest of the team getting picks. That's probably the biggest reason why Murky doesn't often get mvp, especially on the bigger maps. Even when you're present for the bigger team fights Murky often dies early and will miss out on credit for kills that happen afterwards. It's not a big deal since the whole mvp system is kind of pointless anyway.

also RE: Fish Oil, I always take that over Toxic Buildup since the latter is only useful vs heroes. It's often real good for objectives to have that extra slime. I always go rejuv bubble for the same reason - it lets you solo a lot of objectives that you'd have trouble with otherwise.

But yeah all of Murky's talents are viable. The only thing I'd say is that his level 1 egg talents are kind of mediocre since the stealth changes. Fish Eye can be useful but it's not really worth giving the enemy team such an obvious signal of where your egg is.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

BrianBoitano posted:

Note to self: this is a fun game, but it can morph into a chore if you don't go to bed. It is not your duty to continue playing each day until you hate yourself.

You loving liar.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
https://clips.twitch.tv/ExcitedSpeedyKleeSeemsGood

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

How is this possible? How was he placed into a team with 4 people who would do this?

Nybble
Jun 28, 2008

praise chuck, raise heck

watching the rest after this was just so so sad

v Too many people internalized Ender's Game. "We can just go straight to the core!"

Nybble fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jan 11, 2018

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
I didn't know abut that core... mechanic :)

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

it took me a minute to figure out what was going on but it does say "INVULNERABLE" on the core's hp bar at the top

also grubby is an extremely good streamer

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Ive never noticed. Do all the keeps have to be destroyed before the core can be defeated?

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Charles Bukowski posted:

Ive never noticed. Do all the keeps have to be destroyed before the core can be defeated?

No. Just 1.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
Oh i didnt see that all the keeps were standing in that clip. Hah! Never seen that before.