Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
BEST KONG
This poll is closed.
Donkey Kong 76 6.13%
Diddie Kong 75 6.05%
Dixie Kong 84 6.77%
Lankey Kong 129 10.40%
Funky Kong 189 15.24%
Mario 198 15.97%
Tiny Kony 65 5.24%
Candy Kong 61 4.92%
Chunky Kong 89 7.18%
Cranky Kong 125 10.08%
Wrinkley Kong (R.I.P.) :qq: 149 12.02%
Total: 719 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Elliotw2 posted:

zero is mostly ok and if you can stand the motion controls in splatoon or whatever you'll probably survive zero

Even if the controls weren't terrible the game itself is super lovely. It's the only Nintendo game I ever started but never finished because it wasn't fun at all.

The best part of Zero is the beginning level but that's only because it's a copy of the first level of 64.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

Pakled posted:

Having never seen Starfox 2 before, I have to say, it seems really ambitious and I love what they were trying to do with the game but I can see why they never released it.

i mean they didn't not release it because it was bad, they didn't release it because the N64 and PS1 were about to hit and they thought it would look bad in comparison to what those consoles were capable of

so... i mean yeah i guess sorta bad

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

Before you get too impressed, remember Starfox was contemporary with Xwing and this would've come out around the same time as Tie Fighter...

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

well they did it by jamming a graphics card into a cart and telling it to do all the heavy lifting since the SNES lets carts completely override the main processor

Fun fact: over two hundred bitcoins have been mined on SuperFX chips.

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006

Random Stranger posted:

This is how 3D games worked before about 1993 and there were a ton of them, mainly simulators on PCs.

You're right, but I was thinking about consoles. PCs were always more powerful so it's less surprising there.

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

No one's left... Everything's gone...! Zebes is burning!

I have an actual cartridge of SNES Star Fox. I don't play it because it is bad.

Barudak posted:

Herzog Zwei did that but is a good game.

I've never heard of that game, but I think I'll look at it.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.

But Rocks Hurt Head posted:

still a higher framerate than stunt race fx

I bought the SNES Bundle with NHL Stanley Cup, NCAA Basketball and Stunt Race FX because 3 pack-in games=better, right?

Wonder if I could speedrun Stunt Race...

Pigbuster
Sep 12, 2010

Fun Shoe
Was there anything good in the awful block after Simpsons? That was when I checked out.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Your Computer posted:

kinda weird how the only good star fox game was adventures

makes u think

Rare continues to be the master of coding and game design.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Roflan posted:

Before you get too impressed, remember Starfox was contemporary with Xwing and this would've come out around the same time as Tie Fighter...

Well yeah but this was on the loving SNES

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Roflan posted:

Hell, the hardware they're on is weaker than low end requirements for Red Baron which looks better than this.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

When the walker runs sideways it looks like its doing a little softshoe shuffle

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

The legs when they're in walker mode are hilarious though.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Okay, watching the Superman and this commentator is just great.

also I like that Superman does not have an rear end

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Ramos posted:

Rare continues to be the master of coding and game design.

well see, now I want a RBO run

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

You know if cocaine chicken song had been a 'Pay this much or else I sing it' they would have made loving bank

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
i LOVE the modular arwing-to-walker design, it's just so perfect

Artic Puma
Jun 22, 2007

Chef Curry with the pot, boy!
All this talk of Stunt Race FX makes me want to find my old copy and play it. Too bad it's in my parent's house on the other side of the country. I remember it being insanely hard when I was a kid.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

McDragon posted:

if you like not having asses just wait

Reco
Feb 26, 2011

enemy one body to the proximity Zan attack discard the power slap hit.

McDragon posted:

you have only begun to witness how little of an rear end a man can have if you're going through the awful block

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

McDragon posted:

Just wait until the run after Superman :getin:

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Elliotw2 posted:

if you like not having asses just wait

hahahaha

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
The aliasing on this isn't as bad as Superman 64, despite being a console earlier

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

HonorableTB posted:

Okay I will give Star Fox 2 this: its bugfucking incredible what they were able to torture the SNES into doing for this game. Its tech wizardry to make a 2d system do this kind of 3d, I have no idea where to even start

Let me introduce you to X, a spaceflight game for the Game Boy. Not Game Boy Color. Not Game Boy Advance. I mean this:

Edit: Technically it's more of a tank sim (think Battlezone) rather than a spaceflight sim, but the fact that they managed to do this on a Game Boy is pure insanity.
Fun fact: The person who programmed X is the same guy (Dylan Cuthbert) who brought us Stunt Race FX, Star Fox, and Star Fox 2.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Jan 11, 2018

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug

Artic Puma posted:

All this talk of Stunt Race FX makes me want to find my old copy and play it. Too bad it's in my parent's house on the other side of the country. I remember it being insanely hard when I was a kid.

it's insanely hard because you're trying to race on a track updating in single digit fps

HonorableTB
Dec 22, 2006
Be sure to buy the gang tag once you finish Arabian Nights

Xenothral
Aug 1, 2013

The Glumslinger posted:

The aliasing on this isn't as bad as Superman 64, despite being a console earlier

Also has higher view distance

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Xenothral posted:

I have an actual cartridge of SNES Star Fox. I don't play it because it is bad.

I've never heard of that game, but I think I'll look at it.

Its the game that Brutal Legend desparately wishes it was. Its probably one of the most underappreciated/discussed gems of its generation and a Genesis exclusive

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

i'm really interested in the the like, strategy level mechanics--what's the deal with the "overworld" map in this? gimme the rundown

Soup du Jour
Sep 8, 2011

I always knew I'd die with a headache.

star fox 2? more like... slowdown fox 2

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

oh, awful block sounds pretty great

Roflan
Nov 25, 2007

I was talking more about the the gameplay than the graphics. Elite did the space combat, many fighter sims did the atmo combat and mech warrior 1 did the ground combat in the 80s.

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
lmao they overclocked the emulated super fx chip and Stunt Race still looks like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xB7180J4ocY

FriskyBoat
Apr 23, 2011
I hate how everyone keeps praising Star Fox, it's just like Sonic

There's like 2 good games, and those are over a decade old. Just let it die.

Also I know Sonic Mania is apparently good. It still doesn't change the fact that it's the only good sonic game released this decade

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Waffles Inc. posted:

i'm really interested in the the like, strategy level mechanics--what's the deal with the "overworld" map in this? gimme the rundown

things fly at the planet and they do it while you're flying too so you have to intercept missiles and fighters in between the real levels

But Rocks Hurt Head
Jun 30, 2003

by Hand Knit
Pillbug
it is amazing how much of future starfox games were informed by this game

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

the other problem with star fox 2 is that this is a 45 minute estimate and you could beat normal blind in that amount of time and it's not really replayable enough like most arcadey games of the generation

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

FriskyBoat posted:

I hate how everyone keeps praising Star Fox, it's just like Sonic

There's like 2 good games, and those are over a decade old. Just let it die.

Also I know Sonic Mania is apparently good. It still doesn't change the fact that it's the only good sonic game released this decade

dont you dare talk poo poo about 2d sonic

OR star fox 64

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FriskyBoat posted:

sonic colors was good

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

victrix
Oct 30, 2007

Barudak posted:

Its the game that Brutal Legend desparately wishes it was. Its probably one of the most underappreciated/discussed gems of its generation and a Genesis exclusive

AirMech is basically a straight rip of HZ

http://store.steampowered.com/app/206500/AirMech_Strike/

Also has a VR version, though I dunno if its good

• Locked thread