Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
I approve of this flood of WW1 memes and the recent uptick in Simpsons shitposts!

Also of this. :discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

theflyingorc posted:

that's just distracted boyfriend but with a car

you're in luck!

/e the last meme thing i did was deliberately at lowest jpg quality, and it's okay that this crop ended up there also because screech right hand turn to lovely meme-land

stringless has a new favorite as of 10:33 on Jan 11, 2018

Steve Holt!
Aug 28, 2006

STEVE HOLT!

College Slice

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Just so the rest of y'all are aware, this is 100% loving legit.

There's a Javascript library out there called "left-pad" which literally just pads out text strings, on the left, with copies of a character. That's all it does. It should be a helper function you write your goddamned self, it's a couple lines of code, but thousands of javascript projects were using it and dependent on it. Then one day in 2016 the developer decided to throw up his hands and pull it from the distribution system it was using, and all of those projects suddenly snapped in two.

And instead of issuing a message that front end developers should maybe be able to write their own loving text padding code, the distribution system basically seized it and stuck it back in place.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Weirdly titillated by the thought of the power of being Chaos Developer

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

In Soviet Web dev, means of distribution seize themselves!

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Isonzo memes rule

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

Farewell, good Hunter. May you find your worth in the waking world.

Omg these are absolutely amazing.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I burst out laughing at this one holy poo poo

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I really only have the most tenuous recognition of things from WW1, but even I love these dumb fuckin' things. They're very good.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

This one loving destroyed me, but they're all amazing.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

I am not learned enough to understand that titanic mexico one. What’s the story?

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

Blind Rasputin posted:

I am not learned enough to understand that titanic mexico one. What’s the story?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zimmermann_Telegram

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out
Please Jesus Lord God Almighty give me all the Roman/Gaul memes.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Somfin posted:

Just so the rest of y'all are aware, this is 100% loving legit.

There's a Javascript library out there called "left-pad" which literally just pads out text strings, on the left, with copies of a character. That's all it does. It should be a helper function you write your goddamned self, it's a couple lines of code, but thousands of javascript projects were using it and dependent on it. Then one day in 2016 the developer decided to throw up his hands and pull it from the distribution system it was using, and all of those projects suddenly snapped in two.

And instead of issuing a message that front end developers should maybe be able to write their own loving text padding code, the distribution system basically seized it and stuck it back in place.

Thats loving stupid to not use an existing library, duh doi. Especially when you consider testing and maintenance. Don't re-invent the wheel, use the tools available.

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Blind Rasputin posted:

That's not the Titanic.

Second one is the Zimmermann Telegram, where Germany tried to get Mexico to join the war and invade the U.S.

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Blind Rasputin posted:

It's the Lusitania, which was sunk by a German U-boat, killing American civilians. This did not directly prompt Wilson to move toward joining the war (though it likely had an effect). The Zimmermann Telegram, sent by Germany to Mexico asking the latter to declare war on the US in exchange for support to claim Texas, was seen by many as the last straw in pushing US opinion to war.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Blind Rasputin posted:

That's the Lusitania you piece of poo poo get your boats right. I don't even know WW1 stuff and even I know the difference between the Titanic and the Lusitania jesus christ.

e: Thanks for the info on the Zimmerman Telegram though, folks. Very enlightening. I also was not aware of that one.

e2: Like, it says Lusitania right on the boat in that painting. Come on, buddy.

Blind Rasputin
Nov 25, 2002

soylon posted:

It's the Lusitania, which was sunk by a German U-boat, killing American civilians. This did not directly prompt Wilson to move toward joining the war (though it likely had an effect). The Zimmermann Telegram, sent by Germany to Mexico asking the latter to declare war on the US in exchange for support to claim Texas, was seen by many as the last straw in pushing US opinion to war.

Thank you. Also I knew it was that other boat I just didn’t want to try to spell it’s name out so I just wrote titanic.

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Blind Rasputin posted:

Thank you. Also I knew it was that other boat I just didn’t want to try to spell it’s name out so I just wrote titanic.

Yeah I had to google the spelling

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

How do you not know about the zimmerman note??

It was one of the first conspiracy thing I learned about in grade school. I'm in the USA

Pingiivi
Mar 26, 2010

Straight into the iris!
These WWI memes are loving gold.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Blind Rasputin posted:

soylon posted:

Yeah I had to google the spelling

It's written right on the ship holy christ

KoRMaK posted:

It was one of the first conspiracy thing I learned about in grade school. I'm in the USA

I was always really bad at history class in the first place, and I honestly don't think any history class I had went past, like, Napoleon until 8th grade when we skipped right to WW2 so we could read Diary of Anne Frank. After that, I honestly don't know, and will probably forget about the Zimmerman note again in a month or two.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Wrong thread!!

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

SpacePig posted:

It's written right on the ship holy christ

but so tiny on a phone screen though, I didn't even notice

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

Thread saved.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

KoRMaK posted:

You don't really learn about the American contribution to WW1 unless you live in that country because the Americans came in super late and contributed relatively little.

I grew up in Canada so I learned all about the Somme and Vimy Ridge and Billy Bishop, not whatever Woodrow Wilson was doing.

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
😃

Only registered members can see post attachments!

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

Sagebrush posted:

You don't really learn about the American contribution to WW1 unless you live in that country because the Americans came in super late and contributed relatively little.

I grew up in Canada so I learned all about the Somme and Vimy Ridge and Billy Bishop, not whatever Woodrow Wilson was doing.

Q: How do you get Americans to enter a world war?

A: Tell them it's nearly finished.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

soylon posted:

/

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

soylon posted:

[img]sensible_chuckle.gif[/img]

Nuggan
Jul 17, 2006

Always rolling skulls.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RayCATB3DNs

MageMage
Feb 11, 2007

I SUCK AND LOVE TO YELL PERFORMATIVE HOT TAKES AND NONSENSE LIES WHEN I GET WORKED UP. SOMETIMES AUTOBANNED IS BETTER. MAYBE ONE DAY WHEN I STORM OFF I'LL ACTUALLY STOP SHITTING UP THE SITE FOR REAL
We went from the golden age of Simpsons memes to the dark ages of ww1 and Uganda knuckles memes

ashnjack
Jun 8, 2010

FUCK FLOWERS. JUST...FUCK 'EM.
I had just finished making ice cream and I noticed the container was frosted over.

Is there something wrong with me?

Ferrule
Feb 23, 2007

Yo!

soylon posted:

Q: How do you finish a world war?

A: Invite the Americans to it.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe

MageMage posted:

We went from the golden age of Simpsons memes to the dark ages of ww1 and Uganda knuckles memes

More like spring after a long, dark winter

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze got announced for Switch, and it comes with a new mode! Seems some other games are getting the new mode patched in too.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

ERM... Actually I have stellar scores on the surveys, and every year students tell me that my classes are the best ones they’ve ever taken.

Ferrule posted:

Q: How do you finish a world war?

A: Invite the Americans to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

KoRMaK posted:

Thats loving stupid to not use an existing library, duh doi. Especially when you consider testing and maintenance. Don't re-invent the wheel, use the tools available.

You're right, you should make your project depend on the decisions of a developer you've never spoken to who can arbitrarily change anything. For a single function.