Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.
It’s possible for many ordinary people to pay off a $6000 bill *eventually* with the aid of crowdfunding and penny-pinching. Not so much a $100k bill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

BarbarianElephant posted:

It’s possible for many ordinary people to pay off a $6000 bill *eventually* with the aid of crowdfunding and penny-pinching. Not so much a $100k bill.

Progress! :911:

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Twerk from Home posted:

Isn't there benefit to having insurance at all, even if you can't pay the deductible because you'll get better access to care with insurance?

Somewhat, although hospitals have been known to deny care for non-emergency services if it doesn't look like you can pay the full deductible amount, since if you're unable to pay they would only be reimbursed 80% of the cost past your deductible -- and at the rates the insurer has negotiated with the provider, which are generally rather low.

The big benefit of having bronze tier if you're poor is, at least, the ACA out of pocket maximum. Assuming you don't get hosed with out-of-network costs. Because a bill for $7.3k is survivable especially if you get help from family members or community organizations, whereas a bill for $60k would be time to declare bankruptcy.

The downside of bronze tier plans for poor people from a public health standpoint is that few people will ever hit the deductible amount with routine healthcare expenses, making it essentially equivalent to not having insurance at all. You get free preventative care but we generally don't see people on the bronze tier utilizing it since you pay out-of-pocket if you are actually diagnosed with something as a result of a screening. It's basically catastrophic coverage and doesn't offer a whole lot else. CSR plans on the other hand are insanely good and people should really get in on those if they can rather than purchasing bronze plans.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

So just how far does that "can't be denied insurance for pre-existing conditions" thing go because a spouse of a co-worker was just diagnosed with leukemia and neither of them have any insurance.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003
He or she would have to qualify for a special enrollment period and the easiest way to do that is marriage or having a kid, neither of which would be applicable.

But...there is a way

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Phlegmatist posted:

He or she would have to qualify for a special enrollment period and the easiest way to do that is marriage or having a kid, neither of which would be applicable.

But...there is a way

What about divorce?

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

PerniciousKnid posted:

What about divorce?

Doesn't count unless you lose health insurance as a result of the divorce.

I'm mostly kidding about the jail time thing but this is the United States of America TYOOL 2018 and you can get a special enrollment period if you somehow managed to get locked up in the county jail for a misdemeanor for, say, ten days.

Zauper
Aug 21, 2008

The Phlegmatist posted:

Doesn't count unless you lose health insurance as a result of the divorce.

I'm mostly kidding about the jail time thing but this is the United States of America TYOOL 2018 and you can get a special enrollment period if you somehow managed to get locked up in the county jail for a misdemeanor for, say, ten days.

I don't know that I would recommend it, but last I knew, the health exchanges allowed you to self certify a QLE to enroll. It's probably fraud though.

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

Republicans posted:

So just how far does that "can't be denied insurance for pre-existing conditions" thing go because a spouse of a co-worker was just diagnosed with leukemia and neither of them have any insurance.

It goes 100% of the way for plans sold on exchanges. What state are they in? Different states can have different open enrollment periods and I know of at least one that is going until 1/15. If their state is our of open enrollment, moving across state lines can trigger a special enrollment period if I'm not mistaken.

Qu Appelle
Nov 3, 2005

"If a COVID-19 pandemic occurs, public health officials may have additional instructions, such as avoiding close contact with others as much as possible, and staying home if someone in your household is sick." - Official insights from Public Health: Seattle & King County staff

Reik posted:

It goes 100% of the way for plans sold on exchanges. What state are they in? Different states can have different open enrollment periods and I know of at least one that is going until 1/15. If their state is our of open enrollment, moving across state lines can trigger a special enrollment period if I'm not mistaken.

WA State is one of those states.

cowtown
Jul 4, 2007

the cow's a friend to me

Reik posted:

You don't have to move across state lines to trigger a special enrollment period -- to a different ZIP code or different county within a ZIP code is sufficient -- but that doesn't work if you're uninsured: you must have been covered by insurance for at least one day of the 60 prior to the move to qualify.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Republicans posted:

Does this spouse work? Quitting their job might count for a QLE.

Edit: After doing some more research, I'm pretty sure the law expects you to just die if this happens. I'm not joking.

Double edit: I would have the person with leukemia quit their job and tell the other person's company that they had insurance through the first job to force a QLE. Someone will probably look into that later and it's totally fraud, but I would commit fraud to get cancer treatments every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I guess if someone manages to get a NEW job, that should count either way, but... good luck.

As a bonus, if you go to jail for fraud you get healthcare!

KillHour fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jan 8, 2018

Reik
Mar 8, 2004
Also, it varies state by state, but they should see if their state Medicaid plan has a "medically needy" determination they could qualify for. This is for when your income is higher than the Medicaid thresholds but you have substantial/catastrophic medical costs.

Republicans
Oct 14, 2003

- More money for us

- Fuck you

We're in Washington state so yeah they have until the 15th to enroll. I told a friend of theirs about it so hopefully they can start getting coverage next month but oooooo I don't even wanna think about what its gonna cost in the meantime.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Republicans posted:

We're in Washington state so yeah they have until the 15th to enroll. I told a friend of theirs about it so hopefully they can start getting coverage next month but oooooo I don't even wanna think about what its gonna cost in the meantime.

Why the gently caress are they even waiting? Why aren't they signing up literally the minute they found out?

On a different note.

I've seen people jumping through quite a bit of hoops with this enrollment period on income verification if they had big changes in their income. Apparently Healthcare.gov doesn't actually have a clear process for how the income verification is supposed to work. So, for example, if you're self-employed you should be able to just submit a spreadsheet of how you more-or-less predicted your income for 2018.

I've heard from people that they've turned that spreadsheet in and received a notification that they needed further documentation. They would get 4+ emails, each saying the same thing about additional documentation, all within a 48hr period. They'd get a phone call for each email, and a letter would be mailed to them as well.

What was needed? They were never told. Try to call Healthcare.gov and apparently no one knows and has no way of knowing. It basically boils down to "just keep sending things."

That spreadsheet is apparently not enough. They basically want the spreadsheet, last year's 1040 / schedule C / and all calculation worksheets, 1099s, proof of deposits...the works. Basically the same level of documentation you'd need to prove income for a mortgage.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Can I ask a question about how you physically access healthcare in the US? I live in the UK but the work I manage takes place in the US and I'm over every month.

While I was over in October I thought about seeing a doctor while I was there. I called up and they all had 3-month waiting lists.. I had thought that because it's for-profit and especially paying cash it would be really quick.

It's a big contrast to here, as a privately insured patient you typically get seen next day or that week, in my experience.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Basically you make that appointment for months out, and if you have something that needs to be seen ASAP, you're stuck footing the bill for an ER or Urgent Care type place.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
Well-visits have longer wait times than sick visits. If you're sick you can usually see your doctor same-day.

Edit: vvv Yes, emphasis on your doctor.

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Jan 11, 2018

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Assuming you have a GP that you're under. Getting a new physician can take a while since most seem to have waiting lists.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

knox_harrington posted:

Can I ask a question about how you physically access healthcare in the US? I live in the UK but the work I manage takes place in the US and I'm over every month.

While I was over in October I thought about seeing a doctor while I was there. I called up and they all had 3-month waiting lists.. I had thought that because it's for-profit and especially paying cash it would be really quick.

It's a big contrast to here, as a privately insured patient you typically get seen next day or that week, in my experience.

If you are just in the USA for a couple of days a month for work and you get sick, what you want is a non-hospital “Urgent Care.” They can treat things like sniffles and sprains and they shouldn’t be too expensive out of pocket (probably about $100.) You walk in and wait, usually about an hour.

But be sure it is not an “Emergency room” at a hospital because those charge an arm and a leg.

Nocturtle
Mar 17, 2007

If you are just in the USA for a couple of days a month for work and you get sick, what you want is a non-hospital “Urgent Care.” They can treat things like sniffles and sprains and they shouldn’t be too expensive out of pocket (probably about $100.) You walk in and wait, usually about an hour.

But be sure it is not an “Emergency room” at a hospital because those charge an arm and a leg.

I like using the local urgent care places, but apparently those are easy to confuse with freestanding emergency rooms.

quote:

Pine’s daughter Myra, then 3, was given an antibiotic shot and a prescription for oral antibiotics and sent home. It wasn’t until Ginger Pine saw the bill that she realized she hadn’t taken her daughter to a new urgent care in the neighborhood, but to what’s called a freestanding emergency room.

The bill? $2,697. After insurance chipped in, Pine was still left on the hook for almost $1,700.
"I mean, it just, it doesn’t seem like an emergency room," Pine explained. "Yes, it’s labeled an emergency center. But to me and my husband — we’re educated people — we don’t know that that means that it’s considered an emergency room."

Had Pine taken Myra to her regular doctor, she says the bill would have only been $12 out-of-pocket.

US healthcare is a financial minefield between stuff like this or getting referred to an out-of-network doctor (I lost ~$3000 on this just recently). I could easily see myself confusing a "freestanding emergency room" with an urgent care center, especially if distracted by a sick child.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Seems silly but at our Walmart there is an outreach clinic that is part of the local hospital that charges decent rates for simple things. Some Insurance covers it and you can get stuff like antibiotics pretty fast. Keep that in mind too.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Invalid Validation posted:

Seems silly but at our Walmart there is an outreach clinic that is part of the local hospital that charges decent rates for simple things. Some Insurance covers it and you can get stuff like antibiotics pretty fast. Keep that in mind too.

There's also drugstore clinics like the CVS Minute Clinic. Some of them take appointments, but walk-in waits are usually reasonable.

https://m.cvs.com/minuteclinic/services/price-lists

Nocturtle posted:

US healthcare is a financial minefield between stuff like this or getting referred to an out-of-network doctor (I lost ~$3000 on this just recently). I could easily see myself confusing a "freestanding emergency room" with an urgent care center, especially if distracted by a sick child.
It's really insidious because most people don't even know freestanding ERs are a thing, so even if it was named "Freestanding ER" I bet most people are trained to expect an urgent care. I mean, what is even the difference to most people, aside from price?

PerniciousKnid fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 11, 2018

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
https://www.washingtonpost.com/nati...436a_print.html

quote:

Trump administration opens door to let states impose Medicaid work requirements

By Amy Goldstein, Thursday, January 11, 6:43 AM

The Trump administration issued guidance to states early Thursday that will allow them to compel people to work or prepare for jobs in order to receive Medicaid for the first time in the half-century history of this pillar of the nation’s social safety net.

The letter to state Medicaid directors opens the door for states to cut off Medicaid benefits to Americans unless they have a job, are in school, are a caregiver or participate in other approved forms of “community engagement” — an idea that some states had broached over the past several years but that the Obama administration had consistently rebuffed.

The new policy comes as 10 states are already lined up, waiting for federal permission to impose work requirements on able-bodied adults in the program. Three other states are contemplating them. Health officials could approve the first waiver — probably for Kentucky — as soon as Friday, according to two people with knowledge of the process.

The guidance represents a fundamental and much-disputed recalibration of the compact between the government and poor Americans for whom Medicaid coverage provides a crucial pathway to health care.

The idea of conditioning government benefits on “work activities” was cemented into welfare more than two decades ago, when a system of unlimited cash assistance was replaced by the Temporary Assistance for Needy Families with its work requirements and time limits. The link between government help and work later was extended to anti-hunger efforts through the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program, as food stamps are now called.

But most health policy experts, including a few noted conservatives, have regarded the government insurance enabling millions of people to afford medical care as a right that should not hinge on individuals’ compliance with other rules.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

knox_harrington posted:

Depends on your region and your doctor. I've had same-day or same-week appointments with a new doctor, I've had 8 week waits. Psychiatrists and dentists tend to be particularly busy in my experience.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Crashrat posted:

Why the gently caress are they even waiting? Why aren't they signing up literally the minute they found out?

On a different note.

I've seen people jumping through quite a bit of hoops with this enrollment period on income verification if they had big changes in their income. Apparently Healthcare.gov doesn't actually have a clear process for how the income verification is supposed to work. So, for example, if you're self-employed you should be able to just submit a spreadsheet of how you more-or-less predicted your income for 2018.

I've heard from people that they've turned that spreadsheet in and received a notification that they needed further documentation. They would get 4+ emails, each saying the same thing about additional documentation, all within a 48hr period. They'd get a phone call for each email, and a letter would be mailed to them as well.

What was needed? They were never told. Try to call Healthcare.gov and apparently no one knows and has no way of knowing. It basically boils down to "just keep sending things."

That spreadsheet is apparently not enough. They basically want the spreadsheet, last year's 1040 / schedule C / and all calculation worksheets, 1099s, proof of deposits...the works. Basically the same level of documentation you'd need to prove income for a mortgage.

I wonder if that's related to the fact that under the prior administration Equifax Workforce Solutions won a $330 million, multiyear contract to provide income verification. Maybe Equifax was cut off from their contract after the data theft and hasn't been replaced?

On the other hand, healthcare.gov (as well as many of the state-based exchanges) has always been a clusterfuck when it comes to tracking verification documents.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

No Equifax still provides the workforce stuff, it’s state dependent but unless you don’t file taxes or started self employment recently they use tax return to verify income. Some states want to verify if you have money stashed away in an account but a state like Kentucky does not care.

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

No Equifax still provides the workforce stuff, it’s state dependent but unless you don’t file taxes or started self employment recently they use tax return to verify income. Some states want to verify if you have money stashed away in an account but a state like Kentucky does not care.

If this is their first time, it shouldn't matter (in theory) because the state can just tax them to make up for income verification, at least that's what I was told when this started.

Willa Rogers
Mar 11, 2005

Some states want to verify if you have money stashed away in an account but a state like Kentucky does not care.

For the purpose of the ACA, do you mean? Because I don't recall any part of the Act's being asset-based (except for longterm care under Medicaid, which had always been the case).

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

Yea it shouldn’t matter either way since you would get the money back or have to pay the fine when you file taxes. I’ll speak for Kentucky as I know what they need, they want your tax return and only take personal records when you can’t provide it or your income changes enough to warrant personal records. In theory that is. States like to put in certain requirements to make it hard for people so they don’t have to spend as much money on it.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

Willa Rogers posted:

I wonder if that's related to the fact that under the prior administration Equifax Workforce Solutions won a $330 million, multiyear contract to provide income verification. Maybe Equifax was cut off from their contract after the data theft and hasn't been replaced?

On the other hand, healthcare.gov (as well as many of the state-based exchanges) has always been a clusterfuck when it comes to tracking verification documents.

Honestly I'm kind of wondering if there is an automated system involved with it.

The file names I've seen for the messages delivered to Healthcare.gov people who submit "insufficient documentation" or "sufficient documentation" all have the "AI" somewhere in the filename. Every time a file is generated it always has "AI" in it.

So I wonder if the reason no one know what you need to send in is precisely because a human isn't even involved.

hailthefish
Oct 24, 2010

"Additional Information" is a slightly less exotic possible interpretation.

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015

Nocturtle posted:

I like using the local urgent care places, but apparently those are easy to confuse with freestanding emergency rooms.

Our local urgent care will quote out-of-pocket prices, so you can just ask that. If they um and haw and say "It depends" they are probably a freestanding emergency room. A real urgent care will say something like "Our uninsured rate is $120 not including tests." And then say "no" to tests except those that are truly necessary because they can be $TEXAS.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

hailthefish posted:

"Additional Information" is a slightly less exotic possible interpretation.

I'm just trying to find out the reason for why they can't explain to anyone what information they need to send in. You'd think if there were humans reviewing it there'd be a note or something someone at the call center could look at and let the applicant know.

Because literally no one has any idea; it's like a black box.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Crashrat posted:

On a different note.

I'm actually running into that right now as well on healthcare.gov. There's a tiny bit of overlap where I can actually get all my various w-2s and whatnot in early Feb and then submit those. I'm not sure what else to do - my household income has changed wildly from two years ago and again this year and I guess healthcare.gov is determining that letting everyone just type in 30 grand for expected income & get max CSR is not working? It'll be cool when I lose health insurance due to no documentation or feedback on their end.

I submitted a bunch of paystubs from last year as examples of how my income varies, I guess I need to get on the phone with some random worker and find out what else they need. It's not like last year is in any way predictive of this year for people who do contract work, so it doesn't make sense to even do this in the first place.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

And then say "no" to tests except those that are truly necessary because they can be $TEXAS.
Good luck parsing out what tests "are truly necessary." I routinely get into arguments with specialists about this. The patient has fever, vomiting, anorexia, and RLQ tenderness, with a 16mm appendix on CT, and some surgeons still want to know the white count. The patient is a shooter with a hot knee from which I pulled frank pus, and the orthopod still wants to know the ESR and CRP. And that's when the pathology is obvious -- if you come in and just look bad, are labs necessary or unnecessary? The answer is, "It depends on whether or not the results look bad, and whether you get better or worse with treatment."

Anyway, my point mainly is: gently caress this system, if I'm not sure whether a test ultimately will be helpful or not, the patient sure as hell shouldn't have to try to figure it out. Unfortunately, I'm also in a situation where patient follow up can be abysmal, and where missed or delayed diagnoses have a high litigation rate, so over-testing is the norm.

Honestly, I get way more patients demanding, "I want everything checked out," and getting angry when I refuse completely unnecessary or irrelevant tests. Every once in a while someone will voice concern about healthcare costs (almost always someone in his or her early twenties, just out of one of the local colleges, trying to find full-time work); they're a lot more receptive to skipping plain films for probable sprains, skipping labwork for probable vomiting and cramping that could be but probably isn't an early appy, etc. I generally "forget" to click some boxes on those charts so they get billed at a lower level, too.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

mastershakeman posted:

I'm actually running into that right now as well on healthcare.gov. There's a tiny bit of overlap where I can actually get all my various w-2s and whatnot in early Feb and then submit those. I'm not sure what else to do - my household income has changed wildly from two years ago and again this year and I guess healthcare.gov is determining that letting everyone just type in 30 grand for expected income & get max CSR is not working? It'll be cool when I lose health insurance due to no documentation or feedback on their end.

I submitted a bunch of paystubs from last year as examples of how my income varies, I guess I need to get on the phone with some random worker and find out what else they need. It's not like last year is in any way predictive of this year for people who do contract work, so it doesn't make sense to even do this in the first place.

Healthcare.gov - despite ostensibly being a system for people who cannot get health insurance through work...seems really only built for people who work multiple part-time jobs. Don't get me wrong here - I am fully cognizant of how poo poo our economy is for people and that employers drastically cut full-time employment to avoid paying for healthcare resulting in the growth of the part-time sector; however, that doesn't suddenly make all of the independent contractors and disappear.

Indeed if anything the shift to independent contractors, rather than part-time employees, seems to be the new trend. The Dept of Labor has seemingly gone completely toothless in protecting workers in this arena.

But that doesn't comport with the kind of means testing that Healthcare.gov is seemingly being asked to do. ICs are being asked to prove the impossible, effectively, in that Healthcare.gov seemingly wants them to show proof of income they haven't even received yet.

Honestly it seems like if you're an IC then your only hope is to submit your full 1040, Schedule C, all 1099s received, and then any proof you have of direct deposits. Because at that point you've sent literally everything that could even exist. But since this is all historical I can only presume they're wanting to see proof that you are actually an independent contractor.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Crashrat posted:

But that doesn't comport with the kind of means testing that Healthcare.gov is seemingly being asked to do. ICs are being asked to prove the impossible, effectively, in that Healthcare.gov seemingly wants them to show proof of income they haven't even received yet.

Honestly it seems like if you're an IC then your only hope is to submit your full 1040, Schedule C, all 1099s received, and then any proof you have of direct deposits. Because at that point you've sent literally everything that could even exist. But since this is all historical I can only presume they're wanting to see proof that you are actually an independent contractor.

It's certainly made me really busy these past few weeks trying to help our navigators figure out WTF is going on.

There's something really hosed up in the system this year and nobody from healthcare.gov seems to be able to give a coherent explanation.

Crashrat
Apr 2, 2012

The Phlegmatist posted:

It's certainly made me really busy these past few weeks trying to help our navigators figure out WTF is going on.

There's something really hosed up in the system this year and nobody from healthcare.gov seems to be able to give a coherent explanation.

I honestly believe it's just barriers being put in someone's way. The letters are all automatically generated. In fact the *filenames* are more descriptive than the letters.

The letters just say you have provided insufficient documentation to prove income.

But if you look at the file names as they're being sent from Healthcare.gov the file names will include things like "low side fail" or "high side fail".

And that "high/low side fail" in the file name is more information than the letters have, than anyone at Healthcare.gov can give you, and certainly any Navigator. When I pointed it out for a colleague they had no idea what I was talking about because they just had the printed letter. When they opened the file Adobe has its own Title of "ESD Custom Notice"

But the actual file name for the PDF has the information itself. Like so many people that was just something in their Downloads folder that they never looked at - their browser or Adobe Reader just opened the file automatically once it was downloaded. They had no idea it was even there.

I earnestly believe there were some management changes at CMS with the Trump administration who just decided to not break the law, but walk a tight rope on it, to make getting the tax credit more difficult for the shear purpose of "gently caress poor people."

Crashrat fucked around with this message at 12:17 on Jan 17, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Crashrat posted:

I earnestly believe there were some management changes at CMS with the Trump administration who just decided to not break the law, but walk a tight rope on it, to make getting the tax credit more difficult for the shear purpose of "gently caress poor people."

I wouldn't be surprised if this was the case.

We also ran into a bunch of problems with people failing identity verification because they had a security freeze on their Experian credit report. And getting past that requires submitting documents to the black hole known as healthcare.gov which can take a while. How the hell was anyone supposed to know the two systems were linked?