Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainPrivy
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

withak posted:

When you walked through did you follow the tiled walkways or did you walk straight across the concrete parts?

That's carpet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

CaptainPrivy posted:

That's carpet.

Ok, did you walk on the tiled paths or straight across the carpet.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben

withak posted:

Ok, did you walk on the tiled paths or straight across the carpet.

Those are linoleum

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Just answer the question.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
I used pretend the non tiled parts were lava.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Protip, empty stores don't have clipping so you can just walk through those columns

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Walmart closed hundreds of Sam's Club stores overnight, the same day they announced a minimum wage of $11/hour for Walmart workers

https://twitter.com/JMilesKHOU/status/951496578992353280

https://twitter.com/SamsClub/status/951505233359921152

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Well, Sams clubs are poo poo in every way compared to Costco and I've never really seen very many good deals there. I got a one-year membership free with an Amex offer and it wasn't even a question of whether I'd be renewing.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

Wonder if they were trying to unionize. Walmart has a habit of just shuttering any store that attempts it.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I love how that loving tweet doesn't even address the fact that a bunch of people found out they didn't have jobs with zero notice. What disgusting slimeballs.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

mm gotta love capital strikes

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

duz posted:

Wonder if they were trying to unionize. Walmart has a habit of just shuttering any store that attempts it.

I doubt it. A lot of Sam's Club locations are being shuttered simultaneously.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Sams club seems like it'd close because it doesn't have any particular identity, it doesn't sell anything walmart doesn't, it's not any more high end or serving any sort of different market, it's not a competitor or anything to walmart since the same guy owns it, it's just a weird second walmart in town that you pay a membership fee to and there is free samples sometimes. Like the way walmart is now it seems inconceivable they would find some product was selling great at sams and then not just sell it at walmart.

Dehry
Aug 21, 2009

Grimey Drawer
http://www.businessinsider.com/walmart-suddenly-closes-sams-club-stores-2018-1

There's a list.

CaptainPrivy
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sams club seems like it'd close because it doesn't have any particular identity, it doesn't sell anything walmart doesn't, it's not any more high end or serving any sort of different market, it's not a competitor or anything to walmart since the same guy owns it, it's just a weird second walmart in town that you pay a membership fee to and there is free samples sometimes. Like the way walmart is now it seems inconceivable they would find some product was selling great at sams and then not just sell it at walmart.

It's for small businesses and large families that buy in bulk.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Sams Club is different from Walmart (bulk purchases and large items as opposed to day-to-day groceries and standard shopping), but they're basically identical to Costco.

Owlofcreamcheese
May 22, 2005
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
Buglord
Like "buy in bulk" was the historical divide between the two stores but now pretty clearly most anything people actually bought in bulk is also sold in bulk at walmart. Like walmart just has the boxes of 25 hotpockets and man sized cubes of paper towels and 8 pound bags of skittles and 24 packs of canned corn now too.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS
Just a quick look at the list of stores closing tells me that a huge number of the now-shuttered Sams Club are relatively close to existing Costcos. Wonder if Wal-Mart is getting their rear end kicked, financially, anytime they go head-to-head with Costco?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I think the one closing in Richmond VA is literally across the street from a BJ's.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

That makes sense, what demographic would go to Sam's Club over Costco or the just the Walmart down the road?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
To be honest, I switched membership from Costco to Sam's because they had better prices on the stuff I actually buy in bulk, and it's closer to my house.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I've never been to a Walmart that had a fraction as much bulk/big stuff as Costco and Sams Club, so it might be a regional difference - the entire point of Costco and Sams Club is that they're nothing but bulk, which is a big draw for a lot of people.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

JnnyThndrs posted:

Just a quick look at the list of stores closing tells me that a huge number of the now-shuttered Sams Club are relatively close to existing Costcos. Wonder if Wal-Mart is getting their rear end kicked, financially, anytime they go head-to-head with Costco?

Sure, but a lot of those locations have also been in operation for quite a long time with the BJ's or Costco nearby also being in operation for a long time.

If they've been getting their rear end kicked they sure seemed to think it was important to keep up a pretense of being competitive there.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

JnnyThndrs posted:

There used to not be Costcos in a bunch of places. Sams was more competing with BJs or more often nothing. Sams basically was a ripoff of Costco, but Costco was more regional. Costco has been becoming more national and kicking Sams rear end.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

BrandorKP posted:

There used to not be Costcos in a bunch of places. Sams was more competing with BJs or more often nothing. Sams basically was a ripoff of Costco, but Costco was more regional. Costco has been becoming more national and kicking Sams rear end.

I noticed this too, I used to drive semi-trucks hauling Kirkland paper products all over the US and Canada, and they were opening new stores and expanding their range at a pretty quick pace.

I kinda snickered about all the Sam’s Clubs in the Seattle area closing, guess they gave up even attempting to compete on Costco’s home turf.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I don't go often because it's only in the next town over, but Costco doesn't reek of depression and misery like a lot of big box places. Sometimes you can just walk into a store and get a vibe off the place, and Costco feels pretty ok because the workers are treated decently. I've only been inside a walmart twice and this was supposed to be a big fancy 2 story urban walmart, and everything about the place felt miserable and sad and all I wanted to do was get out as quickly as possible.

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
who is sam anyway

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Donald J Trump posted:

who is sam anyway

This guy:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Donald J Trump posted:

who is sam anyway

Sam Walton

He also founded a little known chain called Walmart.

HashtagGirlboss
Jan 4, 2005

Donald J Trump posted:

who is sam anyway

Some dead guy who was really rich. Sadly wasn't able to figure out how to take it with him so we're stuck dealing with the assholes he left it to.

MagusofStars
Mar 31, 2012

Blorange posted:

That makes sense, what demographic would go to Sam's Club over Costco or the just the Walmart down the road?

BrandorKP posted:

There used to not be Costcos in a bunch of places. Sams was more competing with BJs or more often nothing.
This, basically. Sam’s Clubs used to be in places where Costco wasn’t, so they had a natural customer base who didn’t have the chance to make that choice. But then Costco kept expanding and growing so they were in direct competition...and Sam’s lost.

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
Costco employees actually look like they are enjoying their jobs and are courteous and helpful, compared to many other retail employees locked in a rictus from longing for the sweet release of death.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Panfilo posted:

Costco employees actually look like they are enjoying their jobs and are courteous and helpful, compared to many other retail employees locked in a rictus from longing for the sweet release of death.

yeah it turns out costco figured out the crazy secret to happy employees, which is to invest in them like human beings with livable wages and benefits

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

boner confessor posted:

yeah it turns out costco figured out the crazy secret to happy employees, which is to invest in them like human beings with livable wages and benefits

Actually it's forcing them on threat of firing to sing loyalty oath songs and fake smiles.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

boner confessor posted:

And this mysteriously also results in a store that's clean, well-stocked, and well-organized(minus the parts where they purposely make you wander so you're tempted to impulse-buy more stuff).

Clearly it'll never catch on.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

BrandorKP posted:

Didn't know this until I looked at Wikipedia today, but apparently Costco is the second largest retailer in the world by revenue.

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug
Fun fact: The Sam's Club in Madison (one of the ones apparently closing) is in the same parking lot as a Walmart.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

xrunner posted:

Some dead guy who was really rich. Sadly wasn't able to figure out how to take it with him so we're stuck dealing with the assholes he left it to.

From what I've heard Sam Walton was actually a pretty good guy that treated his employees well, which was part of what led to the success of Walmart in the first place.

His children are the greedy assholes that only care about Walmart as a faucet that dispenses money. Sam died in 1992 so his children have had a LOT of time to gently caress things up.

I worked at Walmart for a while and basically everybody there that had worked for Walmart when he was still alive just oozed respect for the guy. It was very possible to end up where you'd be getting good benefits and like $16 an hour just to mop floors and clean toilets. There were ways employee could earn free shares of stock and such if they did good work. His children were the ones that said "lol gently caress that let's pay slavery wages." This of course led to the employees giving fewer shits. Turns out, surprise surprise, people aren't motivated to do good work when they're stressed about keeping their rent paid and going hungry sometimes.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tnega posted:

Fun fact: The Sam's Club in Madison (one of the ones apparently closing) is in the same parking lot as a Walmart.
There's one here that's right next door to one, although they have separate parking areas. It's not closing(yet?), though.

It's more baffling when you consider there's a Costco 15 minutes south and another one 20 minutes north, and all of them are right near the highway(aka 'minimal hassle to get to a Costco instead of Sam's Club), so by all rights it should be at death's door.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magius1337est
Sep 13, 2017

Chimichanga
are book stores like record stores in that trendy and hip people say they want them in a city but never actually visit them or buy anything from them?