Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
We did it. We finished Zeitgeist for 4e, ran it from level 1-30. Bittersweet, folks. Like finishing a fantastic book series.

I did a small write-up over here in the 4e thread. It's spoiler-iffic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

"I'm going to start walking and if you're in my way, it's your own fault."

Halloween Jack posted:

Of all the dumb lightsaber variants this is definitely the dumbest. Easily the worst moment in the first season of Rebels.

I get that any franchise for kids and nerds is always going to have to have new and better versions of things, but you can't. You can't make a lightsaber better.

Rebels, especially season 1 and anything involving Ezra, is all about stupid weapons. You can see his lightsaber in person at Disney Hollywood Studios and it is just as dumb irl.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

Hey everyone, I'm craving a mid-to-heavy crunch sci fi tabletop game, someone please steer me away from Starfinder because I'm assuming it's really bad but right now is the frontrunner in my mind.

Serf
May 5, 2011

food court bailiff posted:

Hey everyone, I'm craving a mid-to-heavy crunch sci fi tabletop game, someone please steer me away from Starfinder because I'm assuming it's really bad but right now is the frontrunner in my mind.

stars without number just came out with a revised edition, and i've been reading through it. its pretty good

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

dwarf74 posted:

We did it. We finished Zeitgeist for 4e, ran it from level 1-30. Bittersweet, folks. Like finishing a fantastic book series.

I did a small write-up over here in the 4e thread. It's spoiler-iffic.

Goongratulations

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben

Halloween Jack posted:

Of all the dumb lightsaber variants this is definitely the dumbest. Easily the worst moment in the first season of Rebels.

Oh god, that is literally the "Laser Susan" from Dragon Friends. It was in Star Wars.

I love how they say that your lightsaber crystal is especially attuned and that the Force will guide you to the vital one that's perfect for you. Or, you know, the two to eight you need to make your Wolverine claws.

Elfgames posted:

no sense of the genre

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Rebels, especially season 1 and anything involving Ezra, is all about stupid weapons. You can see his lightsaber in person at Disney Hollywood Studios and it is just as dumb irl.
To be fair, obsession with stupid superweapons is a Sith hallmark.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Serf posted:

stars without number just came out with a revised edition, and i've been reading through it. its pretty good

I might check that out, added it to my wishlist on DTRPG.

What's so bad about Starfinder, anyway? What are some of the worst ways its 3.X heritage gets in the way of fun?

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

I hear Fragged Empire is pretty good for that.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

potatocubed posted:

Can confirm.

Fragged Empire is really good.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I might check that out, added it to my wishlist on DTRPG.

What's so bad about Starfinder, anyway? What are some of the worst ways its 3.X heritage gets in the way of fun?

It has the Truenamer problem with most of its skills.

Read this if you have the time.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

senrath posted:

It has the Truenamer problem with most of its skills.

Read this if you have the time.

I know I've read about it before but I'm drawing a blank on what the Truenamer problem is.

And wow...I had no idea someone was compiling F&Fs into a blog format, I can feel my productivity for the rest of the week just plummeting.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

I know I've read about it before but I'm drawing a blank on what the Truenamer problem is.

And wow...I had no idea someone was compiling F&Fs into a blog format, I can feel my productivity for the rest of the week just plummeting.

Target DCs scale faster than you can raise the skill, so the higher level you are the worse you are at doing anything.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

The Truenamer problem is when the DC to do a thing rises faster than you can possibly match with your modifiers, leading to a situation where the thing eventually becomes impossible to do.

This happens with Starfinder's space combat mechanics.

Starfinder is also exceedingly dross, as it's almost literally Pathfinder In Space, with all of the genericness that that implies.

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012

Halloween Jack posted:

To be fair, obsession with stupid superweapons is a Sith hallmark.

Since the dark side is more about political corruption than metaphysical in the original trilogy, the concentration of power in an absurd super weapon makes sense.

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Truenamer problem is when the DC to do a thing rises faster than you can possibly match with your modifiers, leading to a situation where the thing eventually becomes impossible to do.

This happens with Starfinder's space combat mechanics.

Starfinder is also exceedingly dross, as it's almost literally Pathfinder In Space, with all of the genericness that that implies.
Yeah, they had the resources to do something interesting, or at least something tightly-designed, but they took the path of least resistance and just sort of farted out a half-baked Pathfinder-in-Space game.

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

FMguru posted:

Yeah, they had the resources to do something interesting, or at least something tightly-designed, but they took the path of least resistance and just sort of farted out a half-baked Pathfinder-in-Space game.

Well yeah, because that way they can say "You can use Pathfinder material with only minor adjustments!" as a sales point to their existing fans.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Serf posted:

how do they get the laserbeam to stop at sword length
I think the :goonsay: answer is that it's actually a torus that arcs up to a fixed length then arcs back down to the handle, so if you peered in the top you'd see the base of the emitter surrounded by a tube of laser.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Halloween Jack posted:

It works pretty well if the options are just based on type: Pistol, Big Pistol, Carbine, Rifle, Sniper Rifle, LMG.
This was WFRP3 and it worked fine there. Though even then they got a bit weird when it came to ranged weapons.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Splicer posted:

I think the :goonsay: answer is that it's actually a torus that arcs up to a fixed length then arcs back down to the handle, so if you peered in the top you'd see the base of the emitter surrounded by a tube of laser.

:negative:

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

potatocubed posted:

This does look cool, although I should've specified I wanted some spacefaring nonsense in there as well.

As a kind-of related aside, I've always really loved the *idea* of GURPS and would like to try something like this in it, but holy cow not at those prices for the PDFs. It's old enough that used copies are sparse at the used bookstores in my area now, too.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

This does look cool, although I should've specified I wanted some spacefaring nonsense in there as well.

As a kind-of related aside, I've always really loved the *idea* of GURPS and would like to try something like this in it, but holy cow not at those prices for the PDFs. It's old enough that used copies are sparse at the used bookstores in my area now, too.

Fragged Empire has spacefaring nonsense!

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.
Yeah, Fragged Empire explicitly starts you out with a group ship.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
FE is one of the best designed games ever IMO, and it works really well for that classic Traveller genre of game.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

Seconding both Fragged Empire and Stars Without Number here.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.
And if you really feel the urge for trigonometry space combat there are still modern editions of Traveller.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Serf posted:

how do they get the laserbeam to stop at sword length

The official explanation is there is a line of plasma that surrounds it. Basically, and energy field is generated around the surface. Lightsabers actually have an edged side and a blunt side because of this.

If they didn't do that, the weapon would disperse so much that it be too unfocused to actually cut anything.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe
it's a laser sword it is both laser and sword

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

I thought the answer was the Force

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Lightning Lord posted:

I thought the answer was the Force

No, that'd defeat the whole point. They use lightsabers because it take too long and they leave themselves to open they only use the force to fight. Having to use the force to maintain the blade would defeat the purpose and they wouldn't be able to use any other powers.

DalaranJ
Apr 15, 2008

Yosuke will now die for you.

Ettin posted:

Meterchlorians, microscopic life forms that like it when lasers are finite

This is also how the guns in Saturday morning cartoons work.

Serf
May 5, 2011

i'm checking my notes here on how lightsabers work and they just say "magic"

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Splicer posted:

Serf posted:

i'm checking my notes here on how lightsabers work and they just say "magic"

You're both right. It forms a torus, and then anyone who touches it gets flayed by the Lady of Pain.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

I spent like twenty minutes reading the F&Fs about Starfinder and it cured me of wanting to play it. It actually made me angry enough to briefly consider writing my own system entirely, but then I saw Fragged Empire is on sale right now for really cheap so I'll give that a shot first.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

DalaranJ posted:

This is also how the guns in Saturday morning cartoons work.

Unless that cartoon is Gundam, because boy oh boy did they enlist someone to come up with a whole system of how their guns/beam sabers/everything works.

But ultimately, you can still just boil it down to 'magic particle'.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

I spent like twenty minutes reading the F&Fs about Starfinder and it cured me of wanting to play it.

This is the best cure for the urge to run anything published by Paizo fyi.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Starfinder is substantially less functional than Pathfinder, while not really having any meaningful advantages over it.

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
Starfinder is what happens when Paizo actually has to try to make their own game.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

The equipment, to put it in one. The equipment system is probably the worst.

See, 3.X games had a whole "soft" magic item advancement system. That is, a character at X level is supposed to have Y value in magical items. The value, of course, restricts the highest level you can have, but it's all very loose and it's possible to have an overpowered item in one sense and end up underpowered in other senses, or just to have a valuable magic item that doesn't help your role. That sort of thing.

Starfinger "fixes" this by having all items you get effectively be treated as if they were magical items in terms of balancing, and every item is keyed to what level you can purchase it at. So you end up with weird in-world justifications regarding how you can't buy a rocket launcher because no shopkeep trusts you because you haven't hit a weird arbitrary OOC requirement and... it's weird. It also doesn't really fix the issue that it gives no real guidelines as to how often you upgrade your equipment, or how the GM is supposed to deal with the money churn that results from it. You also end up with weird stuff where you can't buy a gadget because you don't have the level... to buy it...?

Also every secondary system they invented is broken in some pretty notable way. Vehicle combat has bizarre maneuvering rules that will lead to frequent crashes or vehicles literally moving slower than people on foot to keep from risking accidents. Vehicle chases aren't terribly reliant on the speeds of the vehicles involved. Starship skill checks have entirely broken math that results in high-level characters literally being unable to operate starships at their level. To be fair, they say they'll fix this last one, but... have they? I haven't checked.

And there's just kind of a lot of uninspired design in there in general and I wrote so many words about it, if that wasn't enough. (EDIT: whups, you beat me to it.) To be fair, the balance, class design, and combat is better than Pathfinder, but still not great. There are some interesting ideas tucked away here and there, but as a whole, it feels bland and rushed to me.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

I love Ezra's blastersaber and will stand up for it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Serf
May 5, 2011

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I love Ezra's blastersaber and will stand up for it.

lightsabers are just magic swords for space sorcerers. the blastersaber is what happens when an apprentice sorcerer thinks to himself "what if my sword could hit people all the way over there?" and set out to make that a reality