Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MageMage posted:

We went from the golden age of Simpsons memes to the dark ages of ww1 and Uganda knuckles memes

No one's been posting Ugandan Knuckles (?) and the WWI memes own

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Somfin posted:

You're right, you should make your project depend on the decisions of a developer you've never spoken to who can arbitrarily change anything. For a single function.
You talk to everyone whose library you use??

You sound like an embedded or hardware dev.... whats your job son?

Strange Charm
Apr 6, 2008

ashnjack posted:

I had just finished making ice cream and I noticed the container was frosted over.

Is there something wrong with me?

My aunt miscarried three times in ~2 years and each time I was told about it all I could picture in my head was her husband running through the ER.

Chin up. There is always someone worse than you.

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

KoRMaK posted:

You talk to everyone whose library you use??

You sound like an embedded or hardware dev.... whats your job son?

I'm a backend developer, so I can do basic tasks like write functions and vendor dependencies, so that they don't break my entire project if the repository changes under it. How about you?

Indy
Mar 30, 2005

Hey guys, what's up?

soylon posted:

Isonzo memes rule

This rules

Kei Technical
Sep 20, 2011
Holy poo poo just maintain an internal package source instead of hand rolling absolutely everything or making rando repos a single point of failure.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
I don't know if they're strictly memes, but I'll be damned if I'm opening a different thread.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Pershing
Feb 21, 2010

John "Black Jack" Pershing
Hard Fucking Core

I had no idea the meme community hated Luigi Cadorna.

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3ALwKeSEYs

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/RespectfulMemes/status/950106858928427009

Male Tiers
Dec 27, 2012

Why don't you just lay down your weapons now?

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Oh poo poo! Get the gently caress outta here!

crime fighting hog
Jun 29, 2006

I only pray, Heaven knows when to lift you out

PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

crime fighting hog posted:

PORKCHOP SANDWICHES

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Hell, same.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I would pay to watch this movie.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
In defense of the Isonzo river dude: apparently Isonzo is the only viable spot to attack. There's a lot of mountains between Italy and Austria!

"Squid, did you steal all of these memes from a facebook page called 'eclectic European memes'?"

What do you think

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

I stole all of mine from an obscure subreddit I found. I used to get them from some Imperial German memes facebook page but I heard a rumor it got shut down because (surprise) the admins were Nazis.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

What the gently caress is up with those Nazi German Facebook ensigns?

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
I... Never noticed those, somehow. Maybe a way to get around German censorship laws? the admins were Germans IIRC. And probably not the nazi kind.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, I think that's why they use the Kriegsmarine ensign and not the proper flag, though I don't know why you'd replace the swastika with a Facebook f, rather than just another iron cross or something. Really curious if somebody was also making Facebook = Nazis memes or something and got carried away with their copy pasting.

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Phlegmish posted:

WWI memes own

This has been the best few pages of this thread, by a long stretch.

Anyone who likes podcasts should listen to Dan Carlin's Blueprint for Armageddon, about WWI. It's like 25 hours, so it's a real commitment, and keep in mind he's not a historian and loves to draw some really tenuous analogies, but you'll still learn a ton about the war. The loving Keystone Kops bullshit that led to Archduke Franz Ferdinand getting Serb'd is only the start of just an insane period of fuckups and rampaging egos getting literally millions of men killed.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME
Several news cycles old but

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

I would seriously recommend either the book (900ish pages) or the audiobook (27 hours) of A World Undone by G.J. Meyer. One of the best single volume chronicles of the European theater with numerous interlude chapters of background info on the key players and social/political events/trends preceding and during 1914-1918.

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, I think that's why they use the Kriegsmarine ensign and not the proper flag, though I don't know why you'd replace the swastika with a Facebook f, rather than just another iron cross or something. Really curious if somebody was also making Facebook = Nazis memes or something and got carried away with their copy pasting.

I actually asked the page and they answered:

"Simple, Facebook bans everything has a swastika on it, so when we use the nazi flag we have to censor it.
We use the f as some kind of "protest", but we didn't invent it: it was used before by countryballs pages, for example"

Lack of Bear
Jun 12, 2007

he couldn't bear it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=24-4pymfN_8

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Whoever runs the sonic the hedgehog twitter knows what's up:
https://twitter.com/sonic_hedgehog/status/951519837351591936

Poppyseed Poundcake
Feb 23, 2007

soylon posted:

I would seriously recommend either the book (900ish pages) or the audiobook (27 hours) of A World Undone by G.J. Meyer. One of the best single volume chronicles of the European theater with numerous interlude chapters of background info on the key players and social/political events/trends preceding and during 1914-1918.

:getout:

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

did I commit a history sin? well anyway I liked it

Murderion
Oct 4, 2009

2019. New York is in ruins. The global economy is spiralling. Cyborgs rule over poisoned wastes.

The only time that's left is
FUN TIME

Deltasquid posted:

Glorious Srbja, 57th Rome.

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
When the night is calling
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

Sagebrush posted:

You don't really learn about the American contribution to WW1 unless you live in that country because the Americans came in super late and contributed relatively little.

I grew up in Canada so I learned all about the Somme and Vimy Ridge and Billy Bishop, not whatever Woodrow Wilson was doing.

Pages back but my American gf once asked my grandma why she didn't think much of Americans (In the abstract she wasn't being a bitch to bae or anything) and grandma goes "Because they're always showing up late to every war! :colbert:"

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
World Undone is a good starting place if you want a single volume history of WWI, but is lacking in a few areas as you'd expect from trying to cover such a vast conflict in one book.

It also lacks spicy Luigi Cadorna memes so ymmv

Ms Adequate
Oct 30, 2011

Baby even when I'm dead and gone
You will always be my only one, my only one
No matter who I become
You will always be my only one, my only one, my only one

soylon
Jan 29, 2015

MikeCrotch posted:

World Undone is a good starting place if you want a single volume history of WWI, but is lacking in a few areas as you'd expect from trying to cover such a vast conflict in one book.

It also lacks spicy Luigi Cadorna memes so ymmv

Oh well yeah definitely. Barely any Mesopotamia or Syria (besides a pretty alright background chapter for T.E. Lawrence), no Africa, no Ottoman/Russian/Persia actions (again besides background on the Armenian genocide), no naval actions besides the Goeben pursuit, no colonial conflicts. But for a broad coverage of the strictly European events it's pretty good.

I'm reading Dreadnought and Castles of Steel now and am disgusted at the lack of Great War naval memes

soylon has a new favorite as of 01:36 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade

Deltasquid posted:

:hai: