Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I've called it a dead game a few times but that was mostly a joke because this thread and the subreddit are dead. Most of my shadowverse discussion is in-person with a friend who also plays it, rather than online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

Probably when RoB rotates, since a lot of dragon's strongest cards are from there, namely Fervor, Salamander, and Bahamut/Sahaquiel package. Though, we basically have to wait for everything super powerful to rotate out at some point, I guess...

RoB has those cards.
ToTG has the rest of the Saha package plus Eachtar (Is Levi from here too?)
WD has Oz plus some other crap.

Unless they print cards that have power-levels similar to those, it's going to be quite difficult to balance the game. And waiting for crap to rotate out is super-dumb, they should address that immediately. The saha package and bahamut (since they are neutral) are the biggest offenders.

In any case, you should all be playing unlimited, it is way more fun. Although sometimes I decide no one else is allowed to have any and I play roach. Aria/Roach is a whole turn faster and easily one of the most broken thing this game has ever seen when played correctly (I think it is more powerful than the original Spawn deck) so they will have to limit the number of Arias you can play in that deck or something.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 01:26 on Jan 9, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

trucutru posted:

RoB has those cards.
ToTG has the rest of the Saha package plus Eachtar (Is Levi from here too?)
WD has Oz plus some other crap.

Unless they print cards that have power-levels similar to those, it's going to be quite difficult to balance the game. And waiting for crap to rotate out is super-dumb, they should address that immediately. The saha package and bahamut (since they are neutral) are the biggest offenders.

In any case, you should all be playing unlimited, it is way more fun. Although sometimes I decide no one else is allowed to have any and I play roach. Aria/Roach is a whole turn faster and easily the most broken thing this game has ever seen when played correctly (It would destroy the unerfed Spawn deck) so they will have to limit the number of Arias you can play in that deck or something.

Old Levi was Darkness. Young Levi is Wonderland.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

Old Levi was Darkness. Young Levi is Wonderland.

Ok, so Illusionist goes first, then Levi/Oz. That's gonna take a while.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Oz is actually one of the cooler designs in the game with lots of interesting play and sometimes some interesting counterplay. Even if she's too good as you think I hope they nerf her in a way that preserves how she plays.

e: I'll concede that Oz+Grand Summoning might be too much, and the things she can help with are only going to get better as more high-end spells are printed. I wouldn't be surprised if someday she's legit busted in unlimited, because right now the only spells she's capable of helping you cast early are Twin Guardians and Alchemical Lore but any actually good 7 or more mana spell without spellboost could break her wide open.

cheetah7071 fucked around with this message at 02:06 on Jan 9, 2018

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
So, rotation update:

People are learning how to deal with midshadow, playing around soulsquashers, Odiles, you name it, so expect the deck's WR (and hopefully its popularity) to go down. On the other hand, aggro burn rune is extremely consistent, does well going second too, and its "counters" have to draw real well to have a chance. Ramp dragon seems less popular lately and it seems like the wallet warriors are migrating to haven.

Unlimited update:

Crafted a third Aria. Ahahahahaha, roach is unstoppable! You can do 13 damage to face on turn five and 21 on six, if you're really lucky. Otherwise you have to wait until turn seven to destroy most other decks.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jan 10, 2018

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Portal feels real bad to me at this time. You play a lot of cards and waste a lot of time, then the other classes play a few cards that are just way better and you look like a drat idiot.

On the other hand, Arthur Sword is way fun and has been doing better for me than I would have expected.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

cheetah7071 posted:

Oz is actually one of the cooler designs in the game with lots of interesting play and sometimes some interesting counterplay. Even if she's too good as you think I hope they nerf her in a way that preserves how she plays.

e: I'll concede that Oz+Grand Summoning might be too much, and the things she can help with are only going to get better as more high-end spells are printed. I wouldn't be surprised if someday she's legit busted in unlimited, because right now the only spells she's capable of helping you cast early are Twin Guardians and Alchemical Lore but any actually good 7 or more mana spell without spellboost could break her wide open.
Bumping her cost up to 6 wouldn't really kill the soul of the card. Her body is huge for the cost and effect.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Portal feels real bad to me at this time. You play a lot of cards and waste a lot of time, then the other classes play a few cards that are just way better and you look like a drat idiot.

On the other hand, Arthur Sword is way fun and has been doing better for me than I would have expected.

Portal is a board-control craft, you just happen to control it with puppets or artifacts. The problem is that its artifact-related followers have low tempo (but high value, in the form of tokens), and the puppet ones have decent tempo but low value if forced to use the puppets too soon. In any case, the class itself is very slow, so by the time you finally get control of the board (which is almost inevitable if your played ExMachina) the other classes can usually just storm your face. You have to be minding your pp, resonance, board space, and then Hello! My name is Aisha!

And Oz is cool, but she is like Eachtar and Sibyl in that she does multiple things that its class wants at the same time, so balancing her is gonna be a pain in the rear end. Body, draw, and discount? Sign me up!

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Someday they'll decide that every class needs Albert, and print 10pp make two guardian golems, earth rite: give all guardian golems storm

This will be the spell that breaks Oz

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

trucutru posted:

So, rotation update:

People are learning how to deal with midshadow, playing around soulsquashers, Odiles, you name it, so expect the deck's WR (and hopefully its popularity) to go down. On the other hand, aggro burn rune is extremely consistent, does well going second too, and its "counters" have to draw real well to have a chance. Ramp dragon seems less popular lately and it seems like the wallet warriors are migrating to haven.

Unlimited update:

Crafted a third Aria. Ahahahahaha, roach is unstoppable! You can do 13 damage to face on turn five and 21 on six, if you're really lucky. Otherwise you have to wait until turn seven to destroy most other decks.

Is the aggro burn rune list the same as before, but put in gingerbread house, silent laboratory, taboo, grand summoning and whatever else to bridge the gap?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

I did it, loving finally. Maybe 30-40 of those wins were D shift, right at the start. Then I decided to try the other spellboost deck because spellboost was so fun, fell in love with the Daria card, and mashed it well past the point of it being a remotely playable deck. Somewhere around the A ranks I made it a personal goal to hit master only playing decks with Daria in it, because I had come so far (seemingly) with it already. Little did I know I was at most a fifth of the way through. 900 wins to master is pretty lovely I think and reflects poorly on both my deck choices and play skill but at least I came in under a thousand.

I started playing in TotG. Here's what I think the best Daria deck is in each of the formats I've played:
TotG--traditional tempo daria
WD pre-nerfs--play some other game
WD post-nerfs--burn/daria hybrid (with wizardess, mutagenic bolt, and dance of death)
SL--that crazy-rear end daria/d shift/mammoth deck
CG--back to tempo. It's good again. Positive matchups against shadow, rune, sword, portal, and forest (forest is negative if you don't play 1-2 mutagenic) and negative matchups against haven and dragon, with blood being close to 50/50. The positive matchups are only slightly positive though and dragon is almost unwinnable so you probably balance out to sub-50% once you factor in popularity.

Somebody tell me a deck that plays the exact opposite of this now that I'm free

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Fairypocalypse, Blood? But seriously, congratulations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

Is the aggro burn rune list the same as before, but put in gingerbread house, silent laboratory, taboo, grand summoning and whatever else to bridge the gap?

It's pretty close but gingerbread is reactive and costly, this is all-out aggro (designed so that it can kill dragon before their bullshit starts to pile up). goblin, laboratory, nightfall, dwarf, illusionist, karl, (and some people run Evelisia) for your early game. No Taboos, one or two chain lightnings.

Something like this

https://shadowverse-portal.com/deck...0Aw.6E0Aw.6PSc4

"midrange" burn rune is much more fun to play, but you cannot out-value the wallet decks and being slower is not a good idea against the midrange ones with huge storm damage. This is the same reason why midrange shadow is also getting more aggressive. (And why the goblin is still one of the most powerful cards in the game, specially now that only forest and sword get to have decent 1pp followers)

cheetah7071 posted:

Control blood in unlimited

trucutru fucked around with this message at 00:34 on Jan 11, 2018

The Big Bad Worf
Jan 26, 2004
Quad-greatness
900 wins, all in runecraft, that's insane lmao

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Also, do almost all haven lists run the heavenly knight now? Had haven dailies yesterday and it was a bitch getting them clear with old decks.

Edit: Anything I'm missing offhand in this blood aggro deck? I basically used last season's deck but added in the savage wolves. Should I run Alucard or Imp Lancer in here? The disagreeable Demons have been actually rather good as a 2/3 ward against more aggressive decks.

https://shadowverse-portal.com/deck..._Go.6I_Go.6I_Go

Yukari fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jan 11, 2018

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Haven's end game is pretty much all storm. In rotation it's heavenly knight>heavenly knight>aether (drops a taurus down). There's a bit of scornergy with summit temple making him weaker but aether helps with that a bit, and you need the extra storm. It's also incredibly fun for someone to drop a bahamut and solve the problem for you.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

Haven's end game is pretty much all storm. In rotation it's heavenly knight>heavenly knight>aether (drops a taurus down). There's a bit of scornergy with summit temple making him weaker but aether helps with that a bit, and you need the extra storm. It's also incredibly fun for someone to drop a bahamut and solve the problem for you.

So basically craft Aethers and Heavenly Knights for now. I just crafted dragon and it wasn't working out, so I went back to unlimited. Hopefully the chronuses can be used elsewhere.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
How do the various blood variants do in unlimited? I was thinking of getting vengeance but it's a lot of vials down the drain if it sucks and I should have built aggro or control instead

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

How do the various blood variants do in unlimited? I was thinking of getting vengeance but it's a lot of vials down the drain if it sucks and I should have built aggro or control instead

Blood aggro is totally legit, and ranks up super fast since your games are over fast. Vengeance doesn't really need anything super special over normal blood aggro, afaik. I haven't played Vengeance in unlimited, but iirc it was pretty good before. Sorta took a hit when baphomet got nerfed because they used to use it to fetch soul dealer. Yes, that soul dealer.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yukari posted:

Blood aggro is totally legit, and ranks up super fast since your games are over fast. Vengeance doesn't really need anything super special over normal blood aggro, afaik. I haven't played Vengeance in unlimited, but iirc it was pretty good before. Sorta took a hit when baphomet got nerfed because they used to use it to fetch soul dealer. Yes, that soul dealer.

The lists I was looking at had vengeance at belph x3, carbosse x2 while aggro had carbosse x3 for their legendaries. Crafting Carb first does seem safe at least because a lot of it carries over.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Huh. I run 3x Belph in my aggro list since it's a fat body and draws cards and allows for use of diabolical drain. Dunno what else I'd use, tbh.

Edit: What were those lists you were looking at?

Yukari fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Jan 11, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I think the new 2/2 storm allows aggro to go even lower to the ground than it did before chronogenesis

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax

Yukari posted:

So basically craft Aethers and Heavenly Knights for now. I just crafted dragon and it wasn't working out, so I went back to unlimited. Hopefully the chronuses can be used elsewhere.

H knight is the priority. You should also have snow whites if you don't already (to trigger gemstone carapace). You should also have jeanne3 since that's the new Themis. Aether comes after those in priority.

Basically uhhhh you need a lot of legendaries, otherwise play something else.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

Huh. I run 3x Belph in my aggro list since it's a fat body and draws cards and allows for use of diabolical drain. Dunno what else I'd use, tbh.

Belph in aggro is bad. It makes you weak against the other AAA deck (roach) and doesn't really advance your "go face" plan. Neither does diabolical drain, so I wouldn't call you deck "aggro".

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

H knight is the priority. You should also have snow whites if you don't already (to trigger gemstone carapace). You should also have jeanne3 since that's the new Themis. Aether comes after those in priority.

Basically uhhhh you need a lot of legendaries, otherwise play something else.

Urgh, I vialed my snow whites when they were nerfed. I could craft everything but my vial stockpile will suffer pretty hard for it.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
As for haven, some lists don't run the knight or the amulet and are instead neutral (saha) focused and more grindy.

They seem to be getting more popular than the first version of Wallet haven, but that's just my experience.

trucutru fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 11, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Yukari posted:

Phoneposting but I usedthis site. They're tournament lists not ladder lists but I dunno how much difference that makes

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

trucutru posted:

Belph in aggro is bad. It makes you weak against the other AAA deck (roach) and doesn't really advance your "go face" plan. Neither does diabolical drain, so I wouldn't call you deck "aggro".

https://shadowverse-portal.com/deck..._Go.6I_Go.63fqw

So would you run something more like this? Dunno how I can make room for Baphomets. Also not sure about the singleton Alucard, since carabosse at 6 will shut that down, but dunno what I would add. I've seen some snarling chains used. What edits would you make?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Yukari posted:

https://shadowverse-portal.com/deck..._Go.6I_Go.63fqw

So would you run something more like this? Dunno how I can make room for Baphomets. Also not sure about the singleton Alucard, since carabosse at 6 will shut that down, but dunno what I would add. I've seen some snarling chains used. What edits would you make?

Yes, Vampi goes face, Vampi no trade.

And yeah, I have never been hit by alucard and he can get cockblocked by Carabosse so test if he actually works. The other day I did eat a freaking demonic storm so as long as it goes face anything goes, it seems.

That list basically has all the aggro poo poo you want to run. So I would only replace Alucard with either a spell (night horde, chain) or another 3 drop (a of the word, maybe a. knight, but word is usually better) .

Then tests the deck, the sweetspot is to run out of cards by six. If you are faster than that and floating some pp, consider replacing some drop by something more expensive, maybe a 3 drop. If you don't run out of cards then ditch a bapho and so on

trucutru fucked around with this message at 21:24 on Jan 11, 2018

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
The list I was looking at actually looks terrible looking closer (3x goblin 1x cursebrand when cursebrand is strictly better, among other things) so I'll probably copy a list from one of you if anyone has one they're happy with

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

cheetah7071 posted:

The list I was looking at actually looks terrible looking closer (3x goblin 1x cursebrand when cursebrand is strictly better, among other things) so I'll probably copy a list from one of you if anyone has one they're happy with

If you're running bapho, goblin is strictly better.

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

cheetah7071 posted:

usually this is to prevent baphomet pulling 1 drops

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Can confirm that bapho pulling 1 drops is a super sad time.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
That makes sense since cursebrand's advantage seems extremely marginal

DKD
Dec 25, 2011

cheetah7071 posted:

I did it, loving finally. Maybe 30-40 of those wins were D shift, right at the start. Then I decided to try the other spellboost deck because spellboost was so fun, fell in love with the Daria card, and mashed it well past the point of it being a remotely playable deck. Somewhere around the A ranks I made it a personal goal to hit master only playing decks with Daria in it, because I had come so far (seemingly) with it already. Little did I know I was at most a fifth of the way through. 900 wins to master is pretty lovely I think and reflects poorly on both my deck choices and play skill but at least I came in under a thousand.

I started playing in TotG. Here's what I think the best Daria deck is in each of the formats I've played:
TotG--traditional tempo daria
WD pre-nerfs--play some other game
WD post-nerfs--burn/daria hybrid (with wizardess, mutagenic bolt, and dance of death)
SL--that crazy-rear end daria/d shift/mammoth deck
CG--back to tempo. It's good again. Positive matchups against shadow, rune, sword, portal, and forest (forest is negative if you don't play 1-2 mutagenic) and negative matchups against haven and dragon, with blood being close to 50/50. The positive matchups are only slightly positive though and dragon is almost unwinnable so you probably balance out to sub-50% once you factor in popularity.

Thanks, by the way. I've been taking your decks and clawing my way up through B rank ever since I drew leader Daria.

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Why would you ever run alucard in a face deck when soul dominator and emeralda exist

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

Jimmy Hats posted:

Why would you ever run alucard in a face deck when soul dominator and emeralda exist

Basically Emeralda requires vengeance to storm out someone, and alucard can conditionally heal you when dominator is usually just 4 damage only in storming situations.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Also, roach bypasses vengeance. (Aggro blood is favored against it anyways)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

DKD posted:

Thanks, by the way. I've been taking your decks and clawing my way up through B rank ever since I drew leader Daria.

My list has changed a bit since I last posted it. Here's what I'm running now:

Some thoughts:
Giant chimera is fairly marginal. Don't feel obligated to craft it. Run flame destroyer or a second mutagenic bolt instead if you don't.
Chain of calling is at best a minor upgrade to through the looking glass or concentration. Don't feel obligated to craft it either

Deck play advice (phoneposting so it'll be a bit scattered):
Hard mulligan for Daria in basically every matchup in the current meta. Keep one insight if it's in your first three (mulligan copies) and keep chimera against everything but dragon.
If you have Daria in your opening three, keep her along with insight, Mysterian knowledge, chimera, craig, Clarke, and owl.
Figuring out when to drop daria and when to hold off for a turn is one of the bigger skills with the deck. Ditching spellboost enablers is usually fine, but you rarely want to ditch spellboostees. You almost never want to ditch a chimera that costs 6 or less.
On that note, because you will almost always play your chimeras before your darias, you usually want to target chimera with craig given the choice.
You're rarely playing an enhanced golem assault unless you have enough mana to play a golem in the same turn. If you daria into a hand with golem assault, it is often a key tool in getting those last few points of damage in
If you have enough mana, playing owl then daria then evolving owl on the new hand can be very powerful
Chimera is the glue that holds your early game and lategame together. Against some decks it's even better than daria herself
It is impossible to beat dragon without a high roll. Mulligan and play accordingly

• Locked thread