Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

hexwren posted:

I haven't heard much of Strawbs, but Grave New World's title track may be one of the most awesomely, hilariously overblown songs in the genre and I love it.

Love that song. It's one of the covers I do at acoustic open mics from time to time. A lot of fun to play and almost no one knows it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

"And then I see the disinfectant...where it knocks it out in a minute. One minute. And is there a way we can do something like that. Uhh, by injection inside..." - a Very Stable Genius.

DoubleCakes posted:

I was bored of Joe's Garage by the time the first disc was over. drat those songs go on for too long. I'm gonna give Zappa one more try but if that doesn't sell me on him then I'll walk away and never return.

Also gave this band Continuum a shot. This Autumn Grass was pretty good, if you like very folky instrumental prog.

Zappa has incredible moments where I can't believe how good he and his band is, to "what were they thinking?!" moments where it's so bad that sometimes I can't stand to listen to it. It doesn't help that he has over a hundred albums so going through it all to find what you like is a massive effort in endurance. You can tell he recorded every ridiculous idea that came into his head. The more instrumental stuff is better by far than the stuff that he tries to put words to. But I do admit that I like the raunchy humor in small doses. Songs like Dinah'Mo Hum, Goblin Girl, Turning Again, Dancing Fool, Wet T-Shirt, Disco Boy, He's So Gay, Bobby Brown and Brown Moses are catchy as hell. And even The Jazz Discharge Party Hats still makes me laugh.

But as far as an album recommendation goes for someone just getting into it? Like most prog rock acts who started in the 60s, Zappa reached his Zenith in the 70s. But the quality stayed pretty consistently good into the 80s and 90s unlike a lot of prog bands. He did change his style a lot though so you'll probably like some eras better than others. Check out One Size Fits All, Waka/Jawaka, The Grand Wazoo, Overnite-Sensation, Bongo Fury, Hot Rats, Apostrophe, Sheik Yerbouti, You Are What You Is and Ship Arriving too Late to Save a Drowning Witch. I wouldn't say those are his best albums, but I do tend to listen to them a lot more than others. The 60s stuff he did with The Mothers is also fun, but I don't think he really hit his stride until he went solo and started really going nuts with the jazz fusion.

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Dec 22, 2017

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Ship Arriving Too Late To Save A Drowning Witch was actually my first Zappa album. I was a teenager looking for weird music. (I found it)

Cymbal Monkey
Apr 16, 2009

Lift Your Little Paws Like Antennas to Heaven!
Don't forget Orchestral Zappa. If you're into Stravinsky then you really can't go wrong with London Symphony Orchestra or The Yellow Shark. If you don't mind his lyrics too much then Roxy and Elsewhere is awesome. If you want jazz fusion Zappa then Waka Jawaka or Hot Rats are both great.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben

Gianthogweed posted:

Love that song. It's one of the covers I do at acoustic open mics from time to time. A lot of fun to play and almost no one knows it.

Have you recorded this by chance? That's one of the Strawbs songs I absolutely adore, except for the drat cheesy horns. All the live recordings I've heard have the horns, or Dave Cousins' vocals don't have the fire of the studio version's.

Honestly the studio version of New World might be one of my favorite vocal performances ever. It just rules so hard.

Gianthogweed posted:

But I do admit that I like the raunchy humor in small doses. Songs like Dinah'Mo Hum, Goblin Girl, Turning Again, Dancing Fool, Wet T-Shirt, Disco Boy, He's So Gay, Bobby Brown and Brown Moses are catchy as hell. And even The Jazz Disco Party Hats still makes me laugh.

:same:

I'll even give Jewish Princess a pass because it's too far over the top to be truly offensive and the wordplay is clever. I can't stand most of the Flo & Eddie stuff though, and nothing else sucks quite as badly as SEX or Stick Together.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Dec 22, 2017

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!
That one concert album with Flo & Eddie all over it is the worst. Fillmore East I think? The skits on Roxy are like an infinitely better version of whatever they were trying to do there. Probably because he intended to show it on TV at some point and had to restrain himself, I guess.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Rollersnake posted:

As huge a Zappa fan as I am, I'm not sure there's a single album of his that I love in its entirety.
This is probably most of his catalogue for me, but there isn't an imperfect moment on Bongo Fury.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Hot Rats is great in its entirety

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Please, please don't let me end up in a threesome with the lunch lady and a gay pirate. That would hit a little too close to home.
Unlockable Ben
You know, I agree on Bongo Fury, and I'm not sure why it didn't come to mind. Probably because I think of it as a Captain Beefheart album as much as I do a Zappa album.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Speaking of Cap'n Don V., I'm going to go out on a limb and say that the Bluejeans and Moonbeams record (especially the title track) is massively underrated.

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

Have you recorded this by chance? That's one of the Strawbs songs I absolutely adore, except for the drat cheesy horns. All the live recordings I've heard have the horns, or Dave Cousins' vocals don't have the fire of the studio version's.

Here's me playing it in my room from a few years back as part of a Moody Blues/Strawbs medley. I don't think I play it the same way now but in any event my version can never compare with the Strawbs version so I doubt I'll ever make an official studio recording of the cover.
https://youtu.be/iZmmb3SPCic

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Dec 22, 2017

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

BigFactory posted:

I guess someone hasn't heard Operation:Mindcrime 2.

Shadow Gallery's Tyranny is the real Operation Mindcrime 2.

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Gianthogweed posted:

Here's me playing it in my room from a few years back as part of a Moody Blues/Strawbs medley. I don't think I play it the same way now but in any event my version can never compare with the Strawbs version so I doubt I'll ever make an official studio recording of the cover.
https://youtu.be/iZmmb3SPCic

awesome man. I'd never heard this song before but i really dig it.

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I forgot to check the thread, and I need to remember to listen to that when I get home.

Another one of my Strawbs frustrations—Down by the Sea has a great riff that really deserved to have been in a better song.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Rollersnake posted:

I forgot to check the thread, and I need to remember to listen to that when I get home.

Another one of my Strawbs frustrations—Down by the Sea has a great riff that really deserved to have been in a better song.

Just steal the riff and write a better song for it - be proactive

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

A human heart posted:

Just steal the riff and write a better song for it - be proactive

Metallica already did. Although they did change it slightly. Compare for yourself:

https://youtu.be/V6Dfo4zDduI - Metallica - Sanitarium (1986)

https://youtu.be/_Som1k26YJE - Strawbs - Down by the Sea (1973)

edit:

Although they may have lifted it from Rainbow Warrior who probably lifted it from the Strawbs.

https://youtu.be/zowid7KAmnM - Rainbow Warrior - Bleak House (1980)

Gianthogweed fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Dec 31, 2017

Rollersnake
May 9, 2005

Unlockable Ben
I'm pretty sure Down by the Sea was reminding me of that exact song, but it's been so long since I listened to Master of Puppets that I couldn't place it. I almost said "it's a riff Metallica wished they'd come up with" but I didn't want to sound hyperbolic and get lectured by people who are a lot more into metal than I am.

Edit: Also, I really liked your New World cover—particularly that you nailed the variation in tone between the may you turn, may you rot, and may you rest choruses, which I think is the most crucial thing for that song to work as well as it does. I cringe at those live performances where Cousins just kind of bellows all of it.

Rollersnake fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Dec 31, 2017

Gianthogweed
Jun 3, 2004

Rollersnake posted:

I'm pretty sure Down by the Sea was reminding me of that exact song, but it's been so long since I listened to Master of Puppets that I couldn't place it. I almost said "it's a riff Metallica wished they'd come up with" but I didn't want to sound hyperbolic and get lectured by people who are a lot more into metal than I am.

Edit: Also, I really liked your New World cover—particularly that you nailed the variation in tone between the may you turn, may you rot, and may you rest choruses, which I think is the most crucial thing for that song to work as well as it does. I cringe at those live performances where Cousins just kind of bellows all of it.

Thanks buddy. I just finished recording a song this weekend. It's going to be part of my album that I hope to release before spring. I think you guys might like it.
https://soundcloud.com/james-murray-38/the-heros-feast

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

During breaks from study, I made a list of prog call letters so you can irritate everyone at Starbucks and the dentist's office:

Anekdoten
Beardfish
Camel
Dream Theater
Echolyn
Focus
Genesis
Hawkwind
Iluvatar
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Magma
Nightwish
Oblivion Sun
Pink Floyd
Queensr˙che
Rush
Soft Machine
Tool
Unitopia
Van Der Graaf Generator
Wishbone Ash
Xanadu
Yes
Zarathustra

Example: "Hello, Four Seasons? Yes I'd like to make a reservation, the name is Gunderson. That's G as in Genesis, U as in Unitopia, N as in Nightwish, D as in Dream Th-Hello? Hello?"

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Gianthogweed posted:

Metallica already did. Although they did change it slightly. Compare for yourself:

https://youtu.be/V6Dfo4zDduI - Metallica - Sanitarium (1986)

https://youtu.be/_Som1k26YJE - Strawbs - Down by the Sea (1973)

edit:

Although they may have lifted it from Rainbow Warrior who probably lifted it from the Strawbs.

https://youtu.be/zowid7KAmnM - Rainbow Warrior - Bleak House (1980)

To be fair these are pretty common chords and it doesn't take much inventiveness to replicate that via an arpeggio in standard guitar tuning. Folks rip from one another all the time but considering the amount of times I've accidentally copied riffs/basslines I wouldn't be surprised if it was all coincidence.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Seventh Arrow posted:

During breaks from study, I made a list of prog call letters so you can irritate everyone at Starbucks and the dentist's office:

Anekdoten
Beardfish
Camel
Dream Theater
Echolyn
Focus
Genesis
Hawkwind
Iluvatar
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Magma
Nightwish
Oblivion Sun
Pink Floyd
Queensr˙che
Rush
Soft Machine
Tool
Unitopia
Van Der Graaf Generator
Wishbone Ash
Xanadu
Yes
Zarathustra

Example: "Hello, Four Seasons? Yes I'd like to make a reservation, the name is Gunderson. That's G as in Genesis, U as in Unitopia, N as in Nightwish, D as in Dream Th-Hello? Hello?"

You forgot Lake

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

hexwren posted:

You forgot Lake

Great googly-moogly, you're right! :monocle: although you could also substitute Liquid Tension Experiment

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Seventh Arrow posted:

Great googly-moogly, you're right! :monocle: although you could also substitute Liquid Tension Experiment

That might be the worst band ever.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

BigFactory posted:

That might be the worst band ever.

Fight me

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Is straight up dream theater worse?

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Yes, because straight-up Dream Theater doesn't have Tony Levin in it.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

DT is also worse because it has LaBrie in it

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

At night, Bavovnyatko quietly comes to the occupiers’ bases, depots, airfields, oil refineries and other places full of flammable items and starts playing with fire there

Iucounu posted:

Prćcis.

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BigFactory posted:

Is straight up dream theater worse?

LTE is occasionally able to write songs shorter than eight (or even eighteen) minutes, and they don't have dream theater's skull-crushingly self-indulgent lyrics

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.
Acid Rain was a cool song but I can't actually remember a single other thing they've done

Hawklad
May 3, 2003

Who wants to live
forever?

DIVE!

College Slice

hexwren posted:

LTE is occasionally able to write songs shorter than eight (or even eighteen) minutes, and they don't have dream theater's skull-crushingly self-indulgent lyrics

Iucounu posted:

Yeah can you imagine the lyrics LaBrie would come up with for "When the Water Breaks?" :stonk:

Seventh Arrow
Jan 26, 2005

Complaining about long songs and self-indulgent lyrics? Did I accidentally click on the garage rock thread?

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you
I don't think the self-indulgence is the problem, they're just not very good at writing lyrics.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

length is not the issue. there's nothing wrong with long songs if they are good. I dont think anyone went around asking Fela Kuti to make his tunes shorter. the problem with Dream Theater is that their music is bad. even if their songs were just two minutes long they would still be bad.

Colonel J
Jan 3, 2008
Dream Theater were once good but what they're doing lately is bad enough to cancel out all the good stuff they put out.

Iucounu
May 12, 2007

You can find good stuff through Six Degrees of Inner Turbulence, it goes downhill hard after that. Awake is a pretty good album.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I wish Porcupine Tree had a different name because they deserve to be on that list but it's not like you can kick Pink Floyd.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Fenrir posted:

I wish Porcupine Tree had a different name because they deserve to be on that list but it's not like you can kick Pink Floyd.

Pink Floyd should be kicked as far away as possible

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
You want a hot take? I love Systematic Chaos and even Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astrochicken
Aug 13, 2007

So you better go back to your bars, your temples
Your massage parlors!

Paladinus posted:

You want a hot take? I love Systematic Chaos and even Black Clouds & Silver Linings.

<inscribes onto a bathroom wall by the words "PINK FLOYD WERE AMATEURS">