Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
Just saw the thread and title pop up on the forums, didn't know the game was in that bad a situation for it to get shut down and the devs laid off without pay.

I stopped playing around the time there were 3 or 4 different special events going on at the same time with multiple double exp weekends overlapping and it was around the time I was trying to fit hotdogs, mustard, ketchup, soccer balls and a dozen different countries flags into my stash that I realized the game probably wasn't for me anymore.

What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Fartbox posted:

I played this game when it launched. Then I realized there was no endgame (I just ran around that city level over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over then I quit)

you mean Midtown Manhattan Patrol?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

What happened?

a hilarious Rube Goldberg machine of bad decisions, twitter slapfights, technical follies and sexual harassment with the grand finale ending in a flushing toilet

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

Tom Gorman posted:

a hilarious Rube Goldberg machine of bad decisions, twitter slapfights, technical follies and sexual harassment with the grand finale ending in a flushing toilet

That sounds amusing, anywhere to read a breakdown of that or a rundown of what happened since I last played sometime around the olympics/hot dog events a few years ago?
Just trying to read through the thread and parsing through the spam seeing people mention the CEO was a pedophile.

Gibbering Madness
Nov 7, 2009

69 69 69 68
https://twitter.com/Asros/status/950932167462346752?s=17

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Ghost of Starman posted:

Was this really just an entirely-untapped vein of design space that MH lucked in to? Is there no extant game that can give me the same satisfaction that slamming into an entire city block's worth of robot nazis as Captain Marvel once did?

Basically yes, MH was the only one that was really comfortable letting players jet around and annihilate entire maps at a time. I feel like the Diablo series has kinda poisoned the well on this, leading the genre towards uphill battles against walls of enemies instead of one-man armies destroying actual armies. The major contenders like Path of Exile and Grim Dawn mimic that power balance, keeping the focus on maximizing your build just to stay alive at higher levels.

I'd like to believe MH was designed from the ground up to simulate the experience of being an indomitable superhero, but lol at that. Ironically I think it might have been the trashfire design process that got MH there in the first place. It fell into this space where you murder 1000 nobodies to get to the actual threatening boss because once power creep went wild, they never bothered to bring the nobodies back up to parity. The thing is that ended up being a feature, not a bug, and it seems like no one has paid enough attention to emulate it. Probably because the game it was attached to died such a sputtering, ignoble death.

Soothing Vapors
Mar 26, 2006

Associate Justice Lena "Kegels" Dunham: An uncool thought to have: 'is that guy walking in the dark behind me a rapist? Never mind, he's Asian.

TheTrend posted:

I'm offended SV got a pro poster championship avatar as he is absolutely not a good poster and he's even worse at mma.

:henget:

davebo
Nov 15, 2006

Parallel lines do meet, but they do it incognito
College Slice

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

That sounds amusing, anywhere to read a breakdown of that or a rundown of what happened since I last played sometime around the olympics/hot dog events a few years ago?
Just trying to read through the thread and parsing through the spam seeing people mention the CEO was a pedophile.

Yeah the CEO had done crap like video taping young girls ballet classes and poo poo, but the reason it was shut down plain and simple is bad decisions led to them not making any money. Disney/Marvel are now accustomed to making shitloads of money and there's no incentive for them to let some company keep taking out loans to license their characters to make a game only 500 people play.

Sdoots
Nov 3, 2013

I did this and could have stopped it, but nothing in nature ever follows a gaussian curve. Sure, they'll tell you that it does. They say that every five minutes someone dies in a car accident, but how often are there seven hundred and sixty one armless and legless corpses in one hangar?
I've wanted to play this at least three different times since it shut down.

RosaParksOfDip
May 11, 2009

Too Shy Guy posted:

I'd like to believe MH was designed from the ground up to simulate the experience of being an indomitable superhero, but lol at that. Ironically I think it might have been the trashfire design process that got MH there in the first place. It fell into this space where you murder 1000 nobodies to get to the actual threatening boss because once power creep went wild, they never bothered to bring the nobodies back up to parity. The thing is that ended up being a feature, not a bug, and it seems like no one has paid enough attention to emulate it. Probably because the game it was attached to died such a sputtering, ignoble death.

This is usually what mapping is like in PoE. The random mooks are so easy to kill, sometimes people make builds that are insane at clearing trash and ignore the boss altogether and that ends up in more loot cause that one enemy that gave fractionally more loot wasn't worth the time taken and they'd rather clear 5 more maps in the time taken. There's the counterside to this with the super endgame bosses who are a pain in the dick but they have special loot and one or two pieces are super valuable.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Too Shy Guy posted:

Basically yes, MH was the only one that was really comfortable letting players jet around and annihilate entire maps at a time. I feel like the Diablo series has kinda poisoned the well on this, leading the genre towards uphill battles against walls of enemies instead of one-man armies destroying actual armies.

i dont know when you last played diablo 3 but it is all about wiping out entire maps of enemies super fast in every mode other than pushing high level/end game grifts

I AM THE MOON
Dec 21, 2012

Sdoots posted:

I've wanted to play this at least three different times since it shut down.

i ve not

MMAgCh
Aug 15, 2001
I am the poet,
The prophet of the pit
Like a hollow-point bullet
Straight to the head
I never missed...you

Kly posted:

i dont know when you last played diablo 3 but it is all about wiping out entire maps of enemies super fast in every mode other than pushing high level/end game grifts
I could see the lack of really fast movement being an issue (just like it was in MH toward the end :ironicat:), but when I read the original poster's criteria I still thought immediately of, like, the Multishot DH and the Leapquake barbarian and such.

Ghost of Starman
Mar 9, 2008
I've read a lot of stuff about Diablo 3 that's turned me off of it, but the thing that really stuck in my mind was this guy's criticism:

Shamus Young posted:

More importantly, this kind of backwards power curve works against the sense of empowerment the game is trying to create. The feeling of being an invulnerable murder machine should be something you strive towards, not something you begin with and then lose as you level up. If you’re grinding away in the late game, you should feel like there’s something greater ahead of you, not that you’re working your way back to feeling as strong as you were in that first trip through the game. As it stands, no matter how hard you work you’ll never feel more potent than you were during your first ten-ish hours.

Can someone with more time in it attest whether D3 really does feel this way, with a totally broken power scale (which is, arguably, what we kind of enjoyed about MH), but inverted in a way that makes the game less satisfying as your character advances?

Edit: ...because yes, "Leapquake barbarian" sounds like the closest thing we'll get to playing Hulk until the next Marvel MMOARPG. :(

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

MMAgCh posted:

I could see the lack of really fast movement being an issue (just like it was in MH toward the end :ironicat:), but when I read the original poster's criteria I still thought immediately of, like, the Multishot DH and the Leapquake barbarian and such.

Yeah I think the two things that differentiated MH over other ARPG's was the movement and the quasi MMO open world zones like Midtown. Don't think there are any other ARPG's with that design around, they all seem pretty traditional. D3 is maybe the closest with some of the builds like you mentioned and I think some POE builds might have similar movement but haven't played at a high enough level to be sure.

Fried Sushi
Jul 5, 2004

Ghost of Starman posted:

I've read a lot of stuff about Diablo 3 that's turned me off of it, but the thing that really stuck in my mind was this guy's criticism:

Can someone with more time in it attest whether D3 really does feel this way, with a totally broken power scale (which is, arguably, what we kind of enjoyed about MH), but inverted in a way that makes the game less satisfying as your character advances?

Edit: ...because yes, "Leapquake barbarian" sounds like the closest thing we'll get to playing Hulk until the next Marvel MMOARPG. :(

That doesn't seem accurate to me at all, once you start doing Greater Rifts the challenge increases and as you increase in gear you can take on tougher rifts. But say when you first hit 60 and try to do a Rift you are in like Torment level 2 and getting your rear end kicked, get some more gear and now that T2 rift is super easy so you increase the difficulty to Torment 4, rinse and repeat, there is a constant advancement of game difficulty and gear to overcome it, eventually you get to a spot where there are diminishing returns on being able to outgear everything in which case player skill can take you further. The highest difficulty for normal rifts is Torment 12, eventually you get enough gear and can faceroll that since it is so easy but they have the Greater Rifts that keep scaling in difficulty, they are timer based rifts where you have to kill enough mobs to summon a Greater rift Boss then kill that in the time limit. So I'd say D3 is kind of a mix, you can totally overpower normal Rifts but their is the option of pushing Greater Rifts if you want more challenge.

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
Is this back yet?

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

Ghost of Starman posted:

not really, diablo 3 difficulty can scale up infinitely if you want so i guess that can make it feel like youre not getting stronger? there are reasons to play at less than the highest difficulty you can manage though, so...

bagrada
Aug 4, 2007

The Demogorgon is tired of your silly human bickering!

malhavok posted:

Is this back yet?

They're bringing it back as a battleground game. You're assigned a random character and dropped into midtown, last one alive wins.

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

Ghost of Starman posted:

Was this really just an entirely-untapped vein of design space that MH lucked in to? Is there no extant game that can give me the same satisfaction that slamming into an entire city block's worth of robot nazis as Captain Marvel once did?

Yup. This, and City Of Heroes, were the only big games to tap the Superhero Game market. It's still a wasteland, which just seems stupid as gently caress given how hot superheroes are right now.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kly posted:

Isn't pushing high level/endgame rifts the main focus of the game though? I've played a few times when new seasons hit and that seemed to be what it was geared around.

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!

Ghost of Starman posted:

This is WILDLY inaccurate. Like entirely.

Sounds like he hit max level and cranked up three difficulties and ragequit? I have no idea how to explain that review.

Lechtansi
Mar 23, 2004

Item Get
I don't know about that review, but my experience of Diablo 3 was push to the highest grift you can, feel super weak until you get an item upgrade, feel crazy overpowered until you crank up the grift # again, feel weak until you get an upgrade, crank up the difficulty again, etc. You never get the experience of "holy gently caress, i'm totally blowing doors off this game" because as soon as you do, you crank up the difficulty. You spend most of your time going "gently caress, i'm getting trounced." Thats what ultimately made the game boring, because there was no experience of getting more powerful.

mods changed my name
Oct 30, 2017
i just liked flying around in the Thingmobile :smith:

Cuchulain
May 15, 2007

My tiny godly CoX shall burn forever!
There's a lot of things I dislike about D3, but I can't wrap my head around "The game gets harder every time I increase the difficulty" as a complaint. :psyduck:

Differo Cathedra
Oct 9, 2012

To be honest it was 4AM when I started making the gif and even I don't know what it's supposed to be about by the time I finished it an hour and a few GIS searches later :effort:

Cuchulain posted:

There's a lot of things I dislike about D3, but I can't wrap my head around "The game gets harder every time I increase the difficulty" as a complaint. :psyduck:

not empty quoting

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

The Moon Monster posted:

Isn't pushing high level/endgame rifts the main focus of the game though? I've played a few times when new seasons hit and that seemed to be what it was geared around.
Going through progressively harder rifts is the main endgame but there's no incentive to slowly grind through the highest level you can complete. It's much more fun and effective to run rifts you can clear quickly.

ndub
Jun 9, 2007

he dislikes that there isn't a finish line to work toward, like there is in, uh well, the one remaining isometric arpg still being actively developed

in mh that line was cmm and it was so low that you could hit max level and then go do it with most of your equip slots empty

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text

ndub posted:

he dislikes that there isn't a finish line to work toward, like there is in, uh well, the one remaining isometric arpg still being actively developed

in mh that line was cmm and it was so low that you could hit max level and then go do it with most of your equip slots empty

They set the bar on the ground and junglequeen still couldnt get over it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

now realise that she was also an above average player.

Kly
Aug 8, 2003

The Moon Monster posted:

Cuchulain posted:

also to continue pushing the higher level end game rifts you have to run the fast dungeons where you feel super overpowered and wipe out 1000 monsters in 2 minutes. its super obvious the people complaining about D3 (compared to MH) havent actually played it in the last 5 years.

Too Shy Guy
Jun 14, 2003

I have destroyed more of your kind than I can count.

Kly posted:

its super obvious the people complaining havent actually played it in the last 5 years.

sir do you know what thread you're in

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Kly posted:

also to continue pushing the higher level end game rifts you have to run the fast dungeons where you feel super overpowered and wipe out 1000 monsters in 2 minutes. its super obvious the people complaining about D3 (compared to MH) havent actually played it in the last 5 years.

What made me stop playing was that for every dungeon you got where you could blast through huge hordes of enemies and feel awesome it seemed like there were three with low enemy density and no uniques that you just had to slowly stroll around looking for stuff to do. And since rifts are all about how quickly you can kill a bunch of stuff the game is also punishing you for getting a lovely randomly generated dungeon.

Also sometimes adventure mode sent you to the act V final dungeon which is just inexcusably poo poo.

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

Silver Nudieman was the best thing about Marvel Heroes and that joy can never be duplicated in another game

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Tom Gorman posted:

Silver Nudieman was the best thing about Marvel Heroes and that joy can never be duplicated in another game

:hai:

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I've heard a few complaints that they ruined the movement skills in MH, what exactly did they do? my old favorite thing to do was play scarlet witch and chain-teleport across the map and blow up everything on the screen as I did so.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

I've heard a few complaints that they ruined the movement skills in MH, what exactly did they do? my old favorite thing to do was play scarlet witch and chain-teleport across the map and blow up everything on the screen as I did so.

turned them into cc breaks and put a timer on them, so you had to use your super slow travel power to move around

Jusupov
May 24, 2007
only text
After the cc rework juggernaut was the only good hero. Stride to a boss, kill it in one hit, stride to next boss

Sherry Bahm
Jul 30, 2003

filled with dolphins

punchymcpunch posted:

turned them into cc breaks and put a timer on them, so you had to use your super slow travel power to move around

They also put summons on cooldowns and with really short 30-60 second durations. Amongst other changes that completely gutted pet classes. Magik was especially notable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rockbear
Sep 11, 2001

Milady, 'tis the clobbering hour.
I sometimes feel the urge to play the pre-movement-nerf version of the game, but I never feel any desire to play the version of the game we had at time of shutdown.