Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Cure for cancer discovered!
Court physicians hate him!

Caustic Soda posted:

However I'm afraid the start-up crash is still happening. When I try to start the game, I get an instant CtD, with no error message. The choice of country doesn't seem to matter, nor does the location of the save. I'm running no other mods, and the most recent version of EU4.

Ah crap, I thought I'd managed to get it. Is it happening whilst the game is still on the loading screen, before reaching the main menu? Or at some point after the game has already loaded, when you're trying to start a new game and choose a country?

edit: if it's the former, then simply starting the game up again from the launcher should make it load up fine, until I can figure out a permanent fix. If it's the latter, then I'm not too sure as I haven't run into that bug at all, so I'll have a look to see if I can replicate it.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 13:13 on Jan 9, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
It happens after the map is loaded and I've picked a nation. I choose lronman or non-Ironman, click play and then the game crashes. I've tried to restart the game repeatedly, and have also tried multiple different states. I don't know if listing them is helpful, but just in case, I've tried: Red Turbans, Crusader Egypt, Nicaea, Al-Andalus, France, Carinthia and the Celtic Empire.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Caustic Soda posted:

It happens after the map is loaded and I've picked a nation. I choose lronman or non-Ironman, click play and then the game crashes. I've tried to restart the game repeatedly, and have also tried multiple different states. I don't know if listing them is helpful, but just in case, I've tried: Red Turbans, Crusader Egypt, Nicaea, Al-Andalus, France, Carinthia and the Celtic Empire.

Yeah, that's strange, I haven't run into that at all. Are you sure you haven't edited or modded the base game at all? If anyone else has been running into this problem, please say so, so I know it's an issue with the mod itself.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Check to make sure you don't have any other mods checked when you start the game.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010
I've never modified the base game, I have no other mods on the computer, and I have no other mods selected on startup. My first run did have a font mod, but I turned that off to see if it made a difference. It didn't. When I get back home later I'll try to reinstall EU4 and see if that makes a difference. If not, I may try to unsubscribe from the other mods I use on occasion, see if that works.

Edit: I've tried to reinstall the game, and unsubscribe all mods. Still no joy. Shame that.

Caustic Soda fucked around with this message at 14:29 on Jan 9, 2018

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

Caustic Soda posted:

I've never modified the base game, I have no other mods on the computer, and I have no other mods selected on startup. My first run did have a font mod, but I turned that off to see if it made a difference. It didn't. When I get back home later I'll try to reinstall EU4 and see if that makes a difference. If not, I may try to unsubscribe from the other mods I use on occasion, see if that works.

Edit: I've tried to reinstall the game, and unsubscribe all mods. Still no joy. Shame that.

Do you run a Linux setup by any chance? Windows couldn't care less about upper- or lower-case letterings, but Linux gets into a massive hissyfit if things refer to each other improperly. I can't speak for Mac though, never owned one.

Snipee
Mar 27, 2010
I just started playing EU4 (without any mods), and I’m realizing how good Hashim is at this game. I don’t understand how to beat Portugal at the colonization game at all (aside from outright conquering them obviously).

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
I've never really had much problem with other colonizers, though this may be due to the fact that I like to play Holland->Netherlands and end up drowning in cash. The AI tends to be fairly slow on the draw when it comes to colonies.

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!

Snipee posted:

I just started playing EU4 (without any mods), and I’m realizing how good Hashim is at this game. I don’t understand how to beat Portugal at the colonization game at all (aside from outright conquering them obviously).

Ground rules for colonization are to A) get to the good stuff first B) conquer natives left right and center C) establish colonial nations ASAP D) stack colonists E) accept that the world is too big for just you to colonize so take whatever you didn't get from the others

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Dance Officer posted:

Ground rules for colonization are to A) get to the good stuff first B) conquer natives left right and center C) establish colonial nations ASAP D) stack colonists E) accept that the world is too big for just you to colonize so take whatever you didn't get from the others

E is for quitters. Just make giant pockets of colonizable land with your directed colonists, destroy all those who stand in the way of your dominance of the atlantic seaboard.

The Bold Kobold
Aug 11, 2014

Bold to the point of certain death.
The real solution is to only take the coasts of continents and block it off from the rest.

Caustic Soda
Nov 1, 2010

Luhood posted:

Do you run a Linux setup by any chance? Windows couldn't care less about upper- or lower-case letterings, but Linux gets into a massive hissyfit if things refer to each other improperly. I can't speak for Mac though, never owned one.

Nope, Windows 10. I have no idea what is causing my problem :shrug: Thanks for trying to help, though. You too, Hashim and Hitlers Gay Secret :)

MaxieSatan
Oct 19, 2017

critical support for anarchists

Dance Officer posted:

re: Stacking, it's also worth building one or two more colonies than you have colonists (generally by sending one to establish a colony, recalling them, and re-deploying them to another province). You pay increased upkeep, but especially in the mid-to-late-game, you should be able to afford that, especially if you're a powerhouse.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA
What native policy is the "best"?

And can you start colonial nations in Africa or Asia or are you limited to the new world?

Trade companies? Are those good?

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

Affi posted:

And can you start colonial nations in Africa or Asia or are you limited to the new world?

Trade companies? Are those good?

I don't know which policy is the best. As far as I'm aware its a trade off between better settler growth and better colonial events(which can give a bunch of settlers, amongst others), with a side of more or less native attacks.

You can only form colonial nations in the Americas, and yes trade companies are good.

RA Rx
Mar 24, 2016

Affi posted:

If it's MP then it's raze. It can be costly to keep part of your force limit and your attention on the colonies.

ChrisAsmadi
Apr 19, 2007
:D

Dance Officer posted:

You can only form colonial nations in the Americas, and yes trade companies are good.

Americas and Australia. I really wished (back before I fell behind on DLC for EU4) they'd added South Africa to that list, though - because the protectorate + trade company trade port thing doesn't work there and it ends up being kinda dull.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

So I've been planning for some of the finer details of the vicky conversion, and I've been looking through eu4 to figure out which countries would be slave-holding states for the opening scenario of v2. I decided to simply go with the great powers who have the option to, but still haven't passed the "Abolition of Slavery Act" Decision in eu4. For those who don't know, you need to have a province that has slaves before you can even get this decision in vanilla EU4, but even then the AI will only take it if they've completed innovative ideas.

With that said, the list of slave-holding (in various forms, they won't all be the chattel slavery prevalent in pre-civil war US) great or regional powers in 1821 includes:

New England, Smolensk, Crusader Egypt, Morocco, Ethiopia, all West African empires, Kongo, Hejaz, Kilwa and Madagascar, from the countries I've poured through until now.

Yikes.

On the other hand, those that have abolished slavery include France, the Celts, the Incan Republic, Ibriz and Al Qarbiya, as well all of their vassals and close allies, amongst others.

Hiveminded
Aug 26, 2014
How industrialised will Morocco be in vicky? They've been conforming to the same kind of niche as the OTL British Empire in a lot of ways, but from how you've depicted them their economy seems like it would be built strongly on commodities and mercantilism like that of Spain (albeit in this case a Spain that didn't go into decline).

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

I don't see a reason for Smolensk to be a slave holding nation. If memory serves, one of the Crimean provinces has slaves as its trade good, and historically it was Crimean raiders capturing Slavic people for use as slaves. Afaik this ended after the Russian annexation of the Crimea.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Well, yes, it ended in OTL but I guess the fact that they haven't abolished slavery means that hasn't happened here. Plus, like Hashim said, it doesn't have to represent literal chattel slavery, maybe just an extra-lovely serfdom system (which is even historically accurate).

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
Smolensk should be just serfdom, tbh. Very Russian.

Since Morocco hasn't abolished it, Morocco's colonies and/or former colonies (if there are any by the start of V2) should also be slaveowning, then, like I think they have a Brazilian colony that makes sense as a slave state given history.

Happy to hear the Celts et al have abolished it though. Has New England done the same?

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

vyelkin posted:

Happy to hear the Celts et al have abolished it though. Has New England done the same?

Hashim posted:

With that said, the list of slave-holding (in various forms, they won't all be the chattel slavery prevalent in pre-civil war US) great or regional powers in 1821 includes:

New England, Smolensk, Crusader Egypt, Morocco, Ethiopia, all West African empires, Kongo, Hejaz, Kilwa and Madagascar, from the countries I've poured through until now.

Doesn't look like it. Which looks to make them the sole bastion of slavery in continental North America.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Goddamn Benin has a sick flag.

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012

vyelkin posted:

Since Morocco hasn't abolished it, Morocco's colonies and/or former colonies (if there are any by the start of V2) should also be slaveowning, then, like I think they have a Brazilian colony that makes sense as a slave state given history.

Not to mention OTL Maghrebian history with the same subject.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Yeah, since the rest of Europe has already abolished slavery, I'll probably set Smolensk to have no slavery and serfdom for v2 instead, probably just represented by events and a hit to their starting literacy. Also, I imagine slavery is going to be a central part of the conflict between Ibriz and New England, with the former probably forcing the New English to abolish it if they become the dominant North American power. Looks like Ibriz is the only country powerful enough to threaten Moroccan naval power, so they'll probably usurp OTL Britain's role as the primary force of abolitionism in the Victorian era.

edit: also, I'll probably include an event/decision for an influence tug of war over Neimni Sund between Anbaila and New England, with the winner between the two essentially annexing Neimni Sund into a new union state. If Anbaila loses out, then they'll likely just form a union with Albionoria anyways, creating a third power bloc in North America. Just need to come up with a decent name for a New English-Neimni Sund union :v:

hashashash fucked around with this message at 19:51 on Jan 11, 2018

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

New Britain :p

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3
I'm a little confused, why wouldn't Neimni Sund be the dominant partner in a potential union with Anbaila, rather than the other way around? I might have missed a note on this, but Anbaila seems like an isolated territory without much of a population, whereas Neimni Sund has an Atlantic connection with the mother country. Geographically speaking, it seems better positioned to be the more powerful colony.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Erwin the German posted:

I'm a little confused, why wouldn't Neimni Sund be the dominant partner in a potential union with Anbaila, rather than the other way around? I might have missed a note on this, but Anbaila seems like an isolated territory without much of a population, whereas Neimni Sund has an Atlantic connection with the mother country. Geographically speaking, it seems better positioned to be the more powerful colony.

It's not so much as Anbaila or Neimni Sund being the dominant partner, as it is Neimni Sund agreeing to join the Albionoria+Anbaila union, or being outright dominated by New England. Neimni Sund is definitely stronger than Anbaila alone, but stuck between New England and Ibriz means it's got to choose between being partitioned between those two empires, reaching some sort of agreement with New England, or joining the Celtic Union. Those are the only options they really have, as far as I can see.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Hashim posted:

It's not so much as Anbaila or Neimni Sund being the dominant partner, as it is Neimni Sund agreeing to join the Albionoria+Anbaila union, or being outright dominated by New England. Neimni Sund is definitely stronger than Anbaila alone, but stuck between New England and Ibriz means it's got to choose between being partitioned between those two empires, reaching some sort of agreement with New England, or joining the Celtic Union. Those are the only options they really have, as far as I can see.

Can't really see why Neimni Sund would want to play second fiddle in a union with New England over taking leading role in a North American Celtic Union, though. Have the colonies had internal rivalries or something?

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Lord Cyrahzax posted:

Can't really see why Neimni Sund would want to play second fiddle in a union with New England over taking leading role in a North American Celtic Union, though. Have the colonies had internal rivalries or something?

Nah, eu4 doesn't really represent internal rivalries all that well, but if I do give NE the option to force a union (still not set on it) I'll probably make it difficult for them. So they'll have to occupy the capital of Nemni Sund, for example, and have defeated Anbaila and/or Albionoria in a war - something along those lines, so it's more of a formable empire than it is a union. I dunno, just something to think about.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

Hashim posted:

Nah, eu4 doesn't really represent internal rivalries all that well, but if I do give NE the option to force a union (still not set on it) I'll probably make it difficult for them. So they'll have to occupy the capital of Nemni Sund, for example, and have defeated Anbaila and/or Albionoria in a war - something along those lines, so it's more of a formable empire than it is a union. I dunno, just something to think about.

Ok, that makes more sense. Not trying to be overly critical or anything, and if anyone can make it work, it's you. Looking forward to seeing what happens!

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

Guys I've gained access to Hashim's secret HOI4 files via hacking

:thejoke:

Luhood
Nov 13, 2012
Is the continent itself still named America? Or do we go for more fancy Albion in this timeline?

Either way a simple USA could work, the United States of America/Albion. Or if you wanna go a bit more AU (like LPers tend to want) UCA, the United Clans of Albion.

Erwin the German
May 30, 2011

:3

Luhood posted:

Is the continent itself still named America? Or do we go for more fancy Albion in this timeline?

Either way a simple USA could work, the United States of America/Albion. Or if you wanna go a bit more AU (like LPers tend to want) UCA, the United Clans of Albion.

The continent is called Gharbia. So UCG? That sounds neat.

Pacho
Jun 9, 2010
We call it Gharbia, the celts might have another name for it. I think Avalon fits better than Albion. Also, great thread Hashim, finally caught up!

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

I suppose if the Christians didn't adopt Gharbia as a name for the new world, they could've just gone with America, naming it after this English guy rather than the OTL Italian. Another alternative with a more Irish lean to it could be Brendania or some other derivation of 'Saint Brendan's Island', after this fabled island, named after early Irish monk/saint/traveller. Or maybe someone knows of a historical Irish explorer, and we could go with something related to that.

edit: Apparently Great Ireland is also a thing, also called Hibernia Major, Albania and White Men's Land.

hashashash fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Jan 12, 2018

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

I was able to get the mod to run as long as Cradle of Civilization wasn't enabled, but there was a bug where rebels would be stuck at 100% siege status. So that's a thing.

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

That's the problem with updating a mod through two major expansions and seven patches without testing it at all :suicide: I'll properly go through the mod and upload an actually-working version once I can get back into EU4 modding, until then I could probably upload the version I was using for the LP (1.21.1) which had very few bugs with it, though I doubt anyone wants to roll back to an older version of the game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hashashash
Nov 2, 2016

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

I was able to get the mod to run as long as Cradle of Civilization wasn't enabled, but there was a bug where rebels would be stuck at 100% siege status. So that's a thing.

Also, I probably should have mentioned this elsewhere, but I haven't got Cradle of Civilisation, so I haven't been able to deal with that or any of the bugs likely clashing with that.