Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
It was kind of funny to me that Paddington was the movie my dad was most looking forward to the year it came out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Rageaholic Monkey posted:

I never saw it and never heard many people talk about it but my mom said it was good, which isn't really a measure of quality whatsoever.

Well, maybe you should go and see it.

resurgam40
Jul 22, 2007

Battler, the literal stupidest man on earth. Why are you even here, Battler, why did you come back to this place so you could fuck literally everything up?

CaptainPrivy posted:

Why is it that Paddington is so beloved in the UK but not the US?

Most famous british children's fiction is pretty well known in the us I assume and I would think most famous us children's fiction is somewhat well known there am I wrong?

Is this like A Dog of Flander's all over again?

Well, we haven't heard of it as much; for some reason, I had the original books (A Bear Called Paddington, et al) but as far as I knew, I was the only one in my circle of friends who ever even knew what it was, and that continued until I had seen the trailer for the first movie. I suspect a lot of the question of the books not being known is publishers not really knowing how to market or sell it to an american audience. It's not quite like Harry Potter, which was the Bildungsroman's Bildungsroman and in any case more took place in a fantasy land more than any recognizable part of Engand- you can market that with a few changed spellings of things; Paddington and his story is more routed in English culture and a very specific time and circumstance of it- namely, the Blitz. Once you learn a little but more about that time, you understand that Paddington is, beyond his curiosity and hijinks, largely a metaphor for orphaned children displaced during WWII and one of the larger themes is how acceptance and embracing of such is not only a Christian duty but can be enriching for all concerned... and a) Americans don't really have any cultural memory of an aggressive bombing campaingn to draw upon, and b) a lot of the ruling/financing bodies in most of our states balk at portraying such a message because communism. Besides, we already had Winnie the Pooh, and I suspect people wanted to keep the confusion down by not introducing two English talking bears into the market.

Kind of a shame, really, since the movie adaptations of Paddington are really good examples of how a skillful adaptation can enhance a story's text. I mean, yeah, I could have done with less of the slapstick and more of Paddington's exploration of London and reactions to it (and even though Nicole Kidman's character fits into the story fine, I'm still not convinced the story needed it), but largely, it's a really good update of the central themes of tolerance and acceptance, in its presentation of Paddington not only as a soul in need, but as an immigrant, with a backstory that very much parallels people raised in former English protectorates, or who might be looking for a place of safety. And it is good to see the film recieved so well, because the marketing just seems to have double down on that message (one of the major plot points in the new movie is Paddington being racially profiled and sent to jail for a crime he didn't commit, a theft of an item it was known he wanted, but was trying to earn money to purchase legally. Yeah, it's a kid's movie; subtle it is not), and a year and a half after Brexit (which is still apparently a thing that's going to happen, god help us) it's just welcome to see. (Even if it could have probably used more minority parts in major roles, but it's not like we can throw stones.)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Weirdly enough it was Jeremy Clarkson's parents who invented the stuffed animal version of Paddington. Surprised they didn't even allude to that when they were showing the clip on Grand Tour.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Apparently Paddington is the movie all parents enjoy. I've never seen it either, but my dad gushed over it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Phanatic posted:

Weirdly enough it was Jeremy Clarkson's parents who invented the stuffed animal version of Paddington. Surprised they didn't even allude to that when they were showing the clip on Grand Tour.

I'm glad that Clarkson took Paddington's messages of acceptance and tolerance of other cultures to heart.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

All I remember about Paddington is that he ate a lot of marmalade and that I didn't care for him

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

There was a papercraft Paddington tv show in the 70s (I think?) in the UK that has major nostalgia value. Don’t know if it played in America.

TOO MANY GOBLINS
May 31, 2015

Enos Cabell posted:

Apparently Paddington is the movie all parents enjoy. I've never seen it either, but my dad gushed over it.

Same here - both my mum and my step-dad have watched it more than once. Usually his favourite movies are like, Rocky and Django Unchained. :psyduck: We are English though, so there's certainly more of that cultural appeal. Despite being English I don't have much of a memory of Paddington growing up, it's a little before my time because it was huge when my parents were kids.

I thought the movie was okay but the dialogue can be pretty bad, people like to just say their motivations into the camera in a way that beats you over the head with it. I know it's a kid's film but drat, I've seen tons of children's media growing up that wasn't so hamfisted. The family are extremely one-dimensional. My mum watches pretty much nothing but kid's films because she's a big softie who can't handle violence, but I'd much rather rewatch Wallace and Gromit for the hundredth time than Paddington.
To keep on topic with a good segue, Aardman are releasing a new film soon that I haven't seen any advertising for. I thought when I saw an announcement that it'd be out in a couple of years or something, but nope - it's like, this month. There's barely any information out about it whatsoever so God knows if it'll be poo poo or not. I like all the Wallace and Gromit movies. :3:

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i want a live-action cg animals of farthing wood that's just like the cartoon but super graphic

Donald J Trump
Jan 8, 2018

by Nyc_Tattoo
i will settle for a paddington movie that's also super graphic

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Donald J Trump posted:

i will settle for a paddington movie that's also super graphic

Isn't that Ted?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Gore Verbinski is out as Gambit director, that's the third director this film has lost. The film's release date has been pushed back a few months but that seems due to Fox rejiggering their other mutant film release dates.

http://deadline.com/2018/01/gambit-movie-gore-verbinski-leaves-director-1202240851/

Most notably, The New Mutants has been pushed back to February 2019, which is 10 months after their former April release date. That's usually a bad sign.

Deadpool 2 got moved up a few weeks, which makes it more of competition to Avengers 3 than Solo and seems like a bad move based on everything we've seen about Solo (not much) but maybe it isn't, who knows? TJ Miller will still be in Deadpool 2 according to the latest reports, so good luck with that minefield even though the target audience will not care at all.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

Fox is cutting Disney off at the knees by moving Deadpool up to the week before Solo. Very ballsy, I think they’re hoping Infinity War has similar legs to SW8 and by two weeks later people will be looking for something else, ala Jumanji.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Deadpool 2 with TJ Miller still in it, Solo or another Avengers movie

Hmm, which do I want to see more...I wonder...

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

I’m gonna be honest here: I really don’t think taking Miller out of the movie should be necessary. They did it for All The Money In The World because they were able to and Ridley Scott made that decision somewhat unilaterally, but as long as they keep him off the marketing trail and out of the next movies and make it very clear that they support his accusers, I think that removing him would be far more work than isolating and replacing Kevin Spacey in AtMitW.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Well I loving hated Deadpool 1 so TJ Miller being left in 2 is just one more reason for me to never want to see it!

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
This sucks I was in first class on the New Mutants hype train :smith:

banned from Starbucks
Jul 18, 2004

Isnt Miller in DP 1 for like barely 3 minutes? I havent seen it since it went on HBO a while ago

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

banned from Starbucks posted:

Isnt Miller in DP 1 for like barely 3 minutes? I havent seen it since it went on HBO a while ago
Yeah he's in like 2 scenes IIRC

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
Thing is, it's Deadpool. They wouldn't have to be elegant in cutting him out, just have Deadpool turn to the camera and say "Yeah my best friend turned out to be kind of a douchebag so we had to cut out all his scenes."

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Maxwell Lord posted:

Thing is, it's Deadpool. They wouldn't have to be elegant in cutting him out, just have Deadpool turn to the camera and say "Yeah my best friend turned out to be kind of a douchebag so we had to cut out all his scenes."

I still like my Christopher Plummer idea. Only Deadpool will notice anything different and when he asks Weasel, Plummer will answer "a lifetime of being a pervert really took a toll on me".

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Probably Deadpool 2, sequel to great first film and directed by David Liech:

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

The MSJ posted:

I still like my Christopher Plummer idea. Only Deadpool will notice anything different and when he asks Weasel, Plummer will answer "a lifetime of being a pervert really took a toll on me".

Same, but with Rose McGowan, and have her wear a Miller wig.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

CelticPredator posted:

Probably Deadpool 2, sequel to great first film and directed by Terry Bogard:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ho4tiCCbqqo

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

DC Murderverse posted:

Fox is cutting Disney off at the knees by moving Deadpool up to the week before Solo. Very ballsy, I think they’re hoping Infinity War has similar legs to SW8 and by two weeks later people will be looking for something else, ala Jumanji.

Certainly makes May a pretty crowded month for big movies, though it will probably help Deadpool the most. Wonder if Disney will finally bite the bullet and push Solo back to December now?

At this point, Solo will probably be lucky to make back its budget, let alone turn a profit. :v:

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 00:50 on Jan 12, 2018

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Wheat Loaf posted:

Certainly makes May a pretty crowded month for big movies, though it will probably help Deadpool the most. Wonder if Disney will finally bite the bullet and push Solo back to December now?

At this point, Solo will probably be lucky to make back its budget, let alone turn a profit. :v:

December is pretty crowded itself, with a Spider-Man, a Transformers and a DC movie.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

https://twitter.com/amctheatres/status/951544264609026048

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

But now we can have a Snow Dogs/Show Dogs/Showgirls triple feature!

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

The MSJ posted:

December is pretty crowded itself, with a Spider-Man, a Transformers and a DC movie.

December's also got Mary Poppins 2 which will probably be rubbish but all those Disney live-action movies that are either sequels to or remakes of their classics have been really big the last few years.

Lots of pretty big movies (or movies that look like they should be big) this year, just going down the list on Wikipedia. I wonder what the big losers other than Solo among the blockbusters will be.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Jan 12, 2018

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

WENTZ WAGON NUI posted:

This sucks I was in first class on the New Mutants hype train :smith:

I wonder what the hell happened.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

If Deadpool 2 is successful enough to get a sequel than they absolutely should replace him with Plummer. If he's still alive. It's not like you get to make that joke every day.

Anywho, who the gently caress gets of on assaulting their sexual partners? I just don't get it.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

I just saw a New Mutants trailer the other day. It looked like an interesting departure for Marvel. I wonder how badly it will get neutered in this delay.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Officially the reason for delay is reshoots to "make it scarier" which I assume means jump scares every five minutes and dumbing it all to hell. RIP Demon Bear movie of my dreams.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax
I hate BoingBoing as much as the next guy but the idea of Disney's 1998 copyright extensions running out this year and not being further pushed back is an interesting one. I don't know whether that would mean less remakes due to studios no longer having to constantly mine their own back catalogue so heavily or even more remakes since it opens the floodgates for older IPs but it's certainly something.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

It's likelier Disney would exploit more public domain ip and turn them into Disney properties. The old Disney properties like steamboat Willie, if iconic enough are protected under some other ip right like trademarks, and they produce enough new work on the old properties that they can easily assert their copyright if someone else tries to gently caress with them. For instance, The new mickey mouse cartoons have episodes that make heavy references to steamboat Willie, a game in the 2000s has oswald the rabbit as a villain, and peg leg Pete (their oldest original character arguably) is a main character in those new cartoons

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Interesting but there will probably be a lot of grey areas that lawsuits will settle along with people who don't get that if 1928 Mickey is free to use 2028 Minnie certainly isn't.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

bitterandtwisted posted:

There was a papercraft Paddington tv show in the 70s (I think?) in the UK that has major nostalgia value. Don’t know if it played in America.

It played in Quebec during my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thDe_7POU_I

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

MonsieurChoc posted:

It played in Quebec during my childhood.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=thDe_7POU_I

Canadian here and this is the only Paddington I ever knew. So I guess these CG movies are Not My Paddington.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I don't think Christopher Plummer should be turned into as punchline for sexual abuse