Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
That was terrible. This topic is covered much better by black mirror.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dmitri-9
Nov 30, 2004

There's something really sexy about Scrooge McDuck. I love Uncle Scrooge.

GutBomb posted:

Black Mirror has never done an episode about the ultra wealthy selling humanity down the river for a chance to escape to Mars despite the fact that billionaires do nothing to keep their island fortresses secret.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Dmitri-9 posted:

I thought it perfectly encapsulated the Silicon Valley nightmare world we live in.

Now I want an X-File about Silicon Valley tech guys doing that young person blood transfusion thing and turning into monsters.

Jorghnassen
Oct 1, 2007
Glouton des fjords
Some neat ideas, overall a poor execution, but, oh well, can't expect much from the new X-Files, in the end, it reduces to the Darin Morgan episode.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Who cares about Black Mirror, this was a rehash of Kill Switch, and that's okay.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

gently caress it’s just so bad. And I guess Scully was sick for most scenes with her raspy throat.

poo poo is being phoned in hard.

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I really enjoyed this one. The banter was cute, Scully had agency, got to see Langly again, classic X-Files missing the mark on technology...what's not to like?

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

Vintersorg posted:

gently caress it’s just so bad. And I guess Scully was sick for most scenes with her raspy throat.

poo poo is being phoned in hard.

She sounded like that last season. I just assume Gillian Anderson is now smoking a pack a day.

I liked it. Fairly ordinary, but it introduced some interesting concepts.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

I take it you don't want my autograph, then.

E: GA sounds fine on interviews, she was either having a cold or it's a character thing

Chairman Capone posted:

Wasn't he originally intended to come back? I vaguely remember that from The X-Files Files episode about that episode.

They wanted to make the Scotland Yard lady a recurrent character, but she was so universally hated (plus she had poo poo chemistry with duchovny) that they gave up on that idea

Ignis fucked around with this message at 09:42 on Jan 11, 2018

BrandonGK
May 6, 2005

Throw it out the airlock.

Ignis posted:

They wanted to make the Scotland Yard lady a recurrent character, but she was so universally hated (plus she had poo poo chemistry with duchovny) that they gave up on that idea

Wasn't the actress dating Duchovny at the time?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

oh, I was reading this from my spanish-translated copy of the episode guide for S1. Think they got the chemistry bit wrong then :v:

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

So are they going to serialize the stand-alones like the early seasons of Fringe? There was no reason to make the corporation head the lady from last week other than to create continuity across episodes.

PrincessKate
Mar 16, 2004

Let's get it on, honey.

howe_sam posted:

It felt like a really solid mid season stand alone episode, which I suppose it was, so good job there x-files.

Yea this is exactly how I felt. It was an ok episode and I think the editing and tone was much improved over the premiere.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

business hammocks posted:

So are they going to serialize the stand-alones like the early seasons of Fringe? There was no reason to make the corporation head the lady from last week other than to create continuity across episodes.

well her name was erika prince, an obvious reference to blackwater ceo and betsy devos brother erik prince. i think this episode was supposed to be extremely political (the opening said “accuse your enemies of that of which you are guilty” instead of “the truth is out there” or “trust no one,” plus it had a bunch of references to trump.) most probably she was invented for this episode and inserted into mein kampf III, instead of the other way around

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

GutBomb posted:

I liked it. It felt more like classic X-Files than most of last season. If it was a Black Mirror episode it would've ended with a twist revealing that Mulder was a pedophile all along, Scully had actually murdered William in his crib, and The X-Files were all just a simulation created by CSM using VR tech that attaches to your temples and plays Irma Thomas songs on repeat.

Octy
Apr 1, 2010

sticklefifer posted:

I liked it. It felt more like classic X-Files than most of last season. If it was a Black Mirror episode it would've ended with a twist revealing that Mulder was a pedophile all along, Scully had actually murdered William in his crib, and The X-Files were all just a simulation created by CSM using VR tech that attaches to your temples and plays Irma Thomas songs on repeat.

Now that I can believe being used as an actual storyline.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
If the end of this show was all a dream, and Mulder and/or Scully are reading Word Up! magazine, then Chris Carter will truly have pulled off one of the grandest cons in entertainment history.

Alternate theory: X-Files was created and written by Cris Carter, of NFL fame, all these years.

Laterite
Mar 14, 2007

It's Gutfest '89
Grimey Drawer
This was a good episode.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames

Octy posted:

Now that I can believe being used as an actual storyline.

Only if William Gibson wrote the episode.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

Laterite posted:

This was a good episode.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

In Mypos, only the strong survive.

It was solid. Someday years from now, if someone offered us the chance to watch a new X-Files episode that wasn’t terrible, we’d all jump on it. These are good times we’re living in, friends.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

I liked season 10 as well, to be fair. My expectations for mytharc have been low for over a decade and it had some fun standalones. 11 seems much better so far.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
Doing my first rewatch of X-Files in like a decade so I can watch the revival, and sticking with mostly just the mytharc episodes and a few character development ones was great at first, but by season 9 I'm really regretting it. It's not that the mythology didn't have huge holes in it before that point, but there was enough ambiguity a person would be able to reconcile the new scripts with the old: the cracks really start to show around the time of the movie, and though things mostly hold together after that, you can more or less write it off after the Syndicate is written out. There was brief excitement with the hunt for Mulder introducing Agent McGruff the Crime Dog, but it quickly fell off when they tried to muddy the waters with the baby.

Autism Sneaks fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 15, 2018

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010
The only decent mytharc episode is Jose Chung's From Outer Space. The rest of them you may as well just rinse 'em out and give 'em the usual abduction rigamarole.

Autism Sneaks
Nov 21, 2016
JCFOS isn't even a mytharc episode lol

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think a lot of the mytharc episodes have good character moments. I think they’re how Skinner became such a good character.

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

I'm finally all caught up with the X-Files! We finished Season 10 and got caught up on Season 11 as well. "Babylon" and "My Struggle II" were better on rewatch, but still not great. My fiancé hated Miller and Einstein, since they're way too transparently "Mulder and Scully but young" and don't add anything beyond that. Mulder's tripping out sequence in Babylon was enjoyable, but the overall message got really muddled. Terrorism is born of hatred, but they never really do anything but say that and make the mother the only really sympathetic character. "Home Again" was pretty dang good, though.

"My Struggle III" was okay - I hated the opening and the reveal of William's conception (assuming it's not a lie) but I enjoyed the action bits and Skinner's moments a lot.

"This" was awesome. Great action, amazing comedy between Mulder and Scully, and a genuinely terrifying and interesting twist to the "secret cabal of rich people runs the world" bit.

I also LOVE them incorporating some real-world politics. Skinner mentioning that the FBI is on bad terms with the President, the Russian and NSA bits - I felt like they added to the episode without feeling like it's going to be instantly dated or anything like that.

Overall I'm enjoying Season 11 more than Season 10 at this point. "Weremonster" is still the highwater mark, but Darin Morgan has another episode coming up.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Autism Sneaks posted:

JCFOS isn't even a mytharc episode lol

course it is, it establishes the well-known fact that Scully is immortal :v:

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

Ignis posted:

course it is, it establishes the well-known fact that Scully is immortal :v:

No it doesn't, that's Clyde Bruckman's Final Repose

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

D'oh, right :downs:

Guess who's the real old senile guy here, my bad.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This feels right and good. This is real X-Files so far.

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

https://twitter.com/GillianA/status/953796806458200065

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
I missed the first two episodes of this season so maybe I'm just coming in from a pseudo-newcomer's point of view, but I'm actually feeling this one, and I hated the gently caress out of last season like everyone else. Is it just me or is this actually enjoyable?

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

You are correct, this episode is actually enjoyable.

Well at least I am enjoying the poo poo out of Faux Steve Buscemi and The Mom From Home Play Psychic Hangman, anyways

Wax Lion
Aug 24, 2009

I feel so bad for Gillian Anderson having to perform this

Pops Mgee
Aug 20, 2009

People all over the world,
Join Hands,
Start the Love Train!
Calling it now they won’t be able to kill Mulder because that guy thinks his name is Muldoon.

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Wax Lion posted:

Yeah, that was a little on the nose while she didn't mention how sagging Mulder's face was at the same time.

Bulky Bartokomous
Nov 3, 2006

This was really good.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa

Wax Lion posted:

I'm avoiding this season but keeping up with this thread. What in particular is happening to bring this up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignis
Mar 31, 2011

Darin Morgan ep next week :woop:

• Locked thread