Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
The one that gets people sometimes is that there needs to be at least one lane whose keep AND fort is destroyed. So if bot fort is dead and top keep is dead (but top fort is alive) the core won't be vulnerable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
Also the guy saying "are you dumb" in that clip really rubs me the wrong way I hope he loses all his future games

garthoneeye
Feb 18, 2013

No Wave posted:

The one that gets people sometimes is that there needs to be at least one lane whose keep AND fort is destroyed. So if bot fort is dead and top keep is dead (but top fort is alive) the core won't be vulnerable.

Just a keep needs to be down for the core to be vulnerable. Both fort and keep need to be down in a lane to spawn catapults.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

garthoneeye posted:

Just a keep needs to be down for the core to be vulnerable. Both fort and keep need to be down in a lane to spawn catapults.
https://www.reddit.com/r/heroesofthestorm/comments/78aprz/alextheprog_can_we_end_i_think_we_can/

Feb 10 2015 patch quote:

quote:

The Core is now invulnerable until both the Keep and Fort in a single lane are destroyed. This is now consistent with the way in which Catapult Minions are spawned.

ToastyPotato
Jun 23, 2005

CONVICTED OF DISPLAYING HIS PEANUTS IN PUBLIC

whalestory posted:

Also the guy saying "are you dumb" in that clip really rubs me the wrong way I hope he loses all his future games

I understand. Like, his team was being unbelievably bad and stupid, but the steady stream of annoyed text messages doesn't really accomplish anything either. I think what rubs the wrong way is that we have probably seen people react exactly like that to way less serious offenses, so it comes off as being habitual, instead of contextually understandable.

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

HelixFox posted:

I guess you could call that "fair" technically but a good Murky should be off Doing Murky Things and will miss out on a lot of kill participation from the rest of the team getting picks. That's probably the biggest reason why Murky doesn't often get mvp, especially on the bigger maps. Even when you're present for the bigger team fights Murky often dies early and will miss out on credit for kills that happen afterwards. It's not a big deal since the whole mvp system is kind of pointless anyway.
Yes if you spend most of the game AFK in a lane and die immediately in every team fight, you are not the most valuable player on your team. The system is working as intended.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.

Gobbeldygook posted:

Yes if you spend most of the game AFK in a lane and die immediately in every team fight, you are not the most valuable player on your team. The system is working as intended.

Murky is afk in a lane all match but somehow also at every team fight to die :thunk:

Come on, you're not dumb enough to think that's what I meant. If a lane is pushed in and an objective spawns at the other side of the map, Murky can aggressively push the lane and either force the enemy team to respond or lose a keep. Murky can dive into a fort to secure a kill because it doesn't matter if he dies doing so. Murky can flank and distract people into chasing him to delay them joining a team fight. Murky can scout out the enemy without it being a big deal if he dies. There are plenty of reasons why it's a good idea to be away from your team or die for the greater good. Use your imagination.

Not to mention Murky has almost no kill potential for the first half of the game, so how's he going to get those precious mvp stats when all the action is in the other lanes?

I know it's a mistake to reply someone to a big red text avatar but whatever

HelixFox fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Jan 12, 2018

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i accidentally queued up for a QM game as zagara which i had only played once before and we lost and i didn't like it at all

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Oh that's a shame, I love playing her. What went wrong?

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

GenericOverusedName posted:

Oh that's a shame, I love playing her. What went wrong?

i have absolutely no loving clue how to play her lol

in the QM game i just had a fuckin nova on my rear end the whole time, but that would be awful no matter who i'm playing because gently caress nova

i tried again in an AI game and i still did poorly, i just don't know what she's supposed to be doing. i assume she's supposed to be pushing lanes all the time like i do with Probius but she just doesn't seem as good at it as he is? i am almost certainly doing something wrong. i used grubby's build from his website: https://psionic-storm.com/en/calculateur-de-talents/zagara/2-2-3-2-3-3-2/ but i think i need to actually watch a video of him or someone else playing her so that i can actually see how to use her abilities.

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
Zag is strong early game no matter what but late game your playstyle is a bit different depending on what ult you pick.

If you go Devouring Maw just stick with your team and try not to split push much if at all. If you go Nydus you can split push but don't commit to it too much. Drop your cooldowns then get out before they catch you. Always make sure you can get back to your team quickly if necessary. Don't even try it if they have Illidan (The Hunt) and be very very careful if they have Dehaka or Falstad who can also catch you easily.

Zag's late game pushing power is mainly from Mutalisk lasting so goddamn long, so mostly you should just clear what you can and drop W. The Mutalisk will help the minions out pretty well for its duration.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Kerrrrrrr posted:

i have absolutely no loving clue how to play her lol

in the QM game i just had a fuckin nova on my rear end the whole time, but that would be awful no matter who i'm playing because gently caress nova

i tried again in an AI game and i still did poorly, i just don't know what she's supposed to be doing. i assume she's supposed to be pushing lanes all the time like i do with Probius but she just doesn't seem as good at it as he is? i am almost certainly doing something wrong. i used grubby's build from his website: https://psionic-storm.com/en/calculateur-de-talents/zagara/2-2-3-2-3-3-2/ but i think i need to actually watch a video of him or someone else playing her so that i can actually see how to use her abilities.
You use the tumors on cooldown and use W on cooldown against anyone laning against you. I forget about the tumors all the time because I never play her and I'm dumb.

Eventually you get Nydus and keep one in your lane = going inside of it heals you like being at the altar of storms in your base. From there you just perma-push whichever lane seems safe using the worms to move around.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

No Wave posted:

going inside of it heals you like being at the altar of storms in your base

:aaaaa:

see these are things i really should know

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kerrrrrrr posted:

:aaaaa:

see these are things i really should know

also having nydus buffs your creep so that your auto attacks while standing on creep lower all of your cooldowns by half a second, including nydus and tumors.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Yeah, if you go Nydus, you need creep fuckin everywhere because that CD reduction is bonkers. Really great for murdering camps, too.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

Kurieg posted:

also having nydus buffs your creep so that your auto attacks while standing on creep lower all of your cooldowns by half a second, including nydus and tumors.

man, more good poo poo that i didn't know cause i never read

another one is stukov's "Insubordinate... and churlish" line which was an instant buy

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Kerrrrrrr posted:

man, more good poo poo that i didn't know cause i never read

another one is stukov's "Insubordinate... and churlish" line which was an instant buy

I love having Zarya and Stukov in a game.
"Greetings Comrade, are you ready to fight?"
"For someone from the future, you are stuck very far in the past."

whalestory
Feb 9, 2004

hey ya'll!

Pillbug
lmao I didn't know that about nydus either looks like I'm too dumb for silver :cool:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I am not an Abathur fan, but even I am pretty excited about this skin coming into the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szCcihgj8Nc

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
I can do okay with Zagara early game but I find I struggle with her lategame when other heroes start ramping up and I feel like I'm falling behind the power curve. Any advice? Also what are good Zag builds in general?

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Macaluso posted:

There have been tons of games I've had recently with Murky where I, not to sound high and mighty here but, should've EASILY been MVP. Like games that straight up wouldn't have been won without me and where I just dominate. But the MVP system weighs deaths SO heavily, you can contribute next to nothing as long as you don't die.

I mean I guess MVP doesn't mean much anyway but like. drat. I'm Murkin up a storm, you best recognize that poo poo GAME

Also I'm glad to see people having fun with my Murky build :) Or even the one the other guy posted. Murky totally feels like one of the very few heroes where almost all his talents can be useful or fun.

I was tops on all the categories by a significant margin the other day and din't get MVP with the slime build.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
I can't bring myself to take Time to Krill. It just doesn't feel like it does anything, Black Lagoon I can tell is working. Also why do people keep talking about March sliming people? It doesn't?

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Mr. Bad Guy posted:

I can't bring myself to take Time to Krill. It just doesn't feel like it does anything, Black Lagoon I can tell is working. Also why do people keep talking about March sliming people? It doesn't?

March doesn't slime people but it does make it easier for you to rack up lots of slime stacks, especially because March generally gets used in big clusterfuck teamfights where you can (ideally) slow multiple enemy heroes to a crawl.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

No Wave posted:

I am not an Abathur fan, but even I am pretty excited about this skin coming into the game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=szCcihgj8Nc

I'm torn because that abathur skin and the new Tyrael one are extremely awesome, but they'll probably be like $20 gem only skins.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

You try to be happy when everyone is summoning you everywhere to "be their friend".

Took out the core on Garden with a combination of the Terror + March of the Murlocs. Holy poo poo why did I not start playing Murky earlier. :iia:

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016

whalestory posted:

Yeah he should've known the answer by what his team was doing.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
I can see why they thought they could go straight core though. You can skip straight to keeps past forts/turrets I think.

No Wave posted:

Sadly it still can't compete to the Tyrael skin and I don't have enough gems for both.

moush fucked around with this message at 11:15 on Jan 12, 2018

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I wonder if they'll both be legendary $20 skins or what. I got Blaze's bundle refunded, but if they both cost more than the new Tyrael/Abathur skin I might as well have just kept Blaze.

lucifirius
Mar 7, 2016
I feel so dirty for this game.

https://www.hotslogs.com/Player/MatchSummaryContainer?ReplayID=134156690

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

moush posted:

I can see why they thought they could go straight core though. You can skip straight to keeps past forts/turrets I think.

Click to see what No Wave posted.

No Wave posted:

Feb 10 2015 patch quote:

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Yeah, it works differently than both League/Dota which I guess most people are used to.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

moush posted:

Yeah, it works differently than both League/Dota which I guess most people are used to.

You can't kill core in League without an inhib down, so it's basically the same.

Kyrosiris
May 24, 2006

Toshimo posted:

You can't kill core in League without an inhib down, so it's basically the same.

I think it's more the "you can kill a keep without the fort down" thing, maybe? Because yeah, you can't breach T4s without a barracks down and can't attack the ancient without T4s down in Dota 2, either.

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I love that you can buy from the "enemy" shop in DotA , wish it worked for fountains in HotS.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Really? You wished they made that change, right after they had to walk back other changes which made steam rolling a common thing?

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Cuntellectual posted:

I wonder if they'll both be legendary $20 skins or what. I got Blaze's bundle refunded, but if they both cost more than the new Tyrael/Abathur skin I might as well have just kept Blaze.

You think it'll be gem only bundles or just the usual 1600/2400 shards?

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
I think gem only bundles will probably be limited to new heroes.

skipThings
May 21, 2007

Tell me more about this
"Wireless fun-adaptor" you were speaking of.

bamhand posted:

I think gem only bundles will probably be limited to new heroes.

Watch Activision-Blizzard slowly get even greedier

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

These skins are suspiciously high quality. So was Dreadlord Jaina, but I would be prepared for it going either way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

Gem-only is supposedly only going to be for new heroes' release skins. I've got a betting pool on how long that's going to last before Blizzard realizes how weak of a business model that is.

The whole gem-skin-bullshit wouldn't be a problem if Blizzard just let us buy whatever we wanted with gems. People sit on enormous banks of gold and shards because gems aren't useful outside of getting Loot Boxes (which then contribute to the shard pile).