Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

bewilderment posted:

Since there's been requests for chill LPs of horror games - I really recommend 'Survival Horror Network' on youtube.

They're a team of players.
No commentary whatsoever.
High resolution.
Games are usually 100% completed and show off all the content, though there is some variance - e.g. the RE7 LP doesn't unlock every single coin collectible or whatever.
Pretty decent selection.
And 'movie-like experience' - they aren't done as speedruns, they're just competent playthroughs that are somewhat done 'as the character' - the player will occasionally realistically 'peek' at badguys and find items the 'correct' way, e.g. if there's hints to an item, they'll find all the hints first, not just rush to where they know it is.

Only potential downside is that they're done as 'longplays', so no episodes for the most part - just one long video for an entire game. DLC is usually done as separate videos, though. Basically whatever it takes to make it feel like a continuous movie.

Anyway this was a godsend for when I was looking for a good RE7 LP that wasn't blind, but also didn't have someone jabbering in the corner or otherwise ruining the mood.

seconding this. I've been watching their LPs for a while and I feel like horror games really lend themselves to not having commentary so it's been a really fun channel to go through and watch.

DoubleNegative posted:

I'm in the mood to read some strategy screenshot lps. I've read most of the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem ones on the archive, and I'm currently reading the Dark Crusade lp. But are there any other really good ones? Not really interested in video.

FF Tactics and FF Tactics Advance by Orange Fluffy Sheep are both great

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012
So I recently discovered Mystery Tournament, where 100s of speedrunners duel each other racing randomly selected games over and over in a tournament setting, it was rad but I want more now I've finished watching them all.

I dunno if it's strictly LP, but I was wondering if there's a series out there that is competitive players competing against each other to best each other in games and kinda keeping a running tally over dozens of games/challenges. If it's multiplayer that's great, but I guess if you know of any cool speedrun racers with good personalities that would be great too.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.

Powerfrog posted:

So I recently discovered Mystery Tournament, where 100s of speedrunners duel each other racing randomly selected games over and over in a tournament setting, it was rad but I want more now I've finished watching them all.

I dunno if it's strictly LP, but I was wondering if there's a series out there that is competitive players competing against each other to best each other in games and kinda keeping a running tally over dozens of games/challenges. If it's multiplayer that's great, but I guess if you know of any cool speedrun racers with good personalities that would be great too.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s5jMSUIoMoQ for example, and they are on twitch as well?

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Powerfrog posted:

Smight's doing his own mystery tournament right now (it's on hiatus for the holidays, but the videos are on his Twitch channel and on his stream archive channel). He (and a lot of other people) run Link to the Past Randomizer races/seeds on Twitch, a lot of which you can watch on SRL's twitch page.

General Revil
Sep 30, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

DoubleNegative posted:

I've got two requests...

I'm in the mood to read some strategy screenshot lps. I've read most of the Advance Wars and Fire Emblem ones on the archive, and I'm currently reading the Dark Crusade lp. But are there any other really good ones? Not really interested in video.

While they're pretty easy games and not heavily dependent on the strategy, take a look at Brunom's SRW LPs.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider
I really like watching drunk people play videogames. I watched all the medibot/Kaz/kungfujesus Mario parties and I'm working my way through dokapon kingdom with danaru and grace and loving it.

Any other recommendations?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

CaptainScraps posted:

I really like watching drunk people play videogames. I watched all the medibot/Kaz/kungfujesus Mario parties and I'm working my way through dokapon kingdom with danaru and grace and loving it.

Look up the Freelance Astronauts' LP of New Super Mario Bros. Wii.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

CaptainScraps posted:

Saints Row 2 with Panzer and Kaubocks? Wind Waker HD by Geop, although I think it was everyone but Geop who was drinking heavily in that one.

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.

90s Cringe Rock posted:

Saints Row 2 with Panzer and Kaubocks?

This, it's fantastic.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

CaptainScraps posted:

Kuvo and Co. playing Magic Knight Rayearth is an absolute treasure. It's got almost the same crew as Geop's Wind Waker LP (minus Geop, plus Minifoo) and the game itself turns out to be super charming.

There's also Kuvo and Topikal playing FFXV with Bandunk popping in and out mind you that game is far less charming. A wine cube gets involved during a giant Assassin's Creed advertisement disguised as a DLC though.

Zain
Dec 6, 2009

It's only forever, not long at all

Danaru posted:

Kuvo and Co. playing Magic Knight Rayearth is an absolute treasure. It's got almost the same crew as Geop's Wind Waker LP (minus Geop, plus Minifoo) and the game itself turns out to be super charming.

There's also Kuvo and Topikal playing FFXV with Bandunk popping in and out mind you that game is far less charming. A wine cube gets involved during a giant Assassin's Creed advertisement disguised as a DLC though.

I don't know... FF15 seems really freaking great at least right now.

Thefluffy
Sep 7, 2014
a week or so ago this came out and as far as I can tell it is pretty much legend of grimrock 3. http://store.steampowered.com/app/629690/?snr=1_5_9__205 and I would not mind if someone better at puzzles than me would take a stab at it

edit: poo poo wrong thread :doh:

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?
So I'm in a race mood and AGDQ is still a while away, anyone got any good races of games? Preferably Zelda-likes or platformers!

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Galick posted:

So I'm in a race mood and AGDQ is still a while away, anyone got any good races of games? Preferably Zelda-likes or platformers!

Strictly races or would regular speedruns do, too?

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe

Galick posted:

There's a crapton of Link to the Past Randomizer races out there. A search like this one will turn up a bunch of stuff.

You can also watch old AGDQ/SGDQ races.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Anyone know that Sonic Boom LP where one guy (at least) was getting steadily drunker and louder as the LP progressed?

primaltrash
Feb 11, 2008

(Thought-ful Croak)
I think that was Tie with Vicas drinking heavily.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLNG-p83v4xrF9KgVgaJ7iAMhjB8aD_1sb

Galick
Nov 26, 2011

Why does Khajiit have to go to prison this time?

Alexeythegreat posted:

Strictly races or would regular speedruns do, too?

Speedruns are great too if they have a good commentator(s)!

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Galick posted:

you can check any of the old goon race threads to see if one tickles your fancy:

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=372577o

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3521844

I remember enjoying the Crash Bandicoot series races, Spyro the Dragon series races, and the DKC1 and 2 races

AlphaKretin
Dec 25, 2014

A vase to face encounter.

...Vase to meet you?

GARVASE DAY!

The Speedrun thread in games is like 50% Zelda randomiser chat and recommendations lately.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Yeah, that's the one! Thanks!

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014
Are there any LPs that go in-depth into the mechanics of a fighting game--the flow of combat, how different characters play, things like that? I'm not sure something like that even counts as an LP, but I figured I might as well ask.

Aithon
Jan 3, 2014

Every puzzle has an answer.

MonstrousMouse posted:

Are there any LPs that go in-depth into the mechanics of a fighting game--the flow of combat, how different characters play, things like that? I'm not sure something like that even counts as an LP, but I figured I might as well ask.

I'm not sure if this counts, but Captain Baal went into mechanics and theory in the bonus materials to this Heritage for the Future LP. He also went through each character in turn and explained what makes them good and/or interesting. It was dropped, unfortunately, but he managed to get pretty deep into the game. It doesn't seem to have fallen into archives yet.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

Waves of Steel
Fun Shoe
I'm enjoying this series on BeamNG.drive, wherein two guys explore everything you can do with a "vehicle soft body simulator". Expect lots of crashes, physics, and general silliness.

Magnuslord
Jul 19, 2008
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wiaCNKwhIPg&list=PLT56e7OfCHjbhuLuVeovJbLmmoHVXpVQ1 Direct link to maxwell adams's supermario wii lp on youtube, since the polsy links are dead and more direct.

Powerfrog
Nov 3, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

I'm enjoying this series on BeamNG.drive, wherein two guys explore everything you can do with a "vehicle soft body simulator". Expect lots of crashes, physics, and general silliness.

Thanks for this. I've been listening to Griffin's (excellent) DnD podcast all month so this was a strange but entertaining surprise.

MonstrousMouse
Apr 15, 2014

Aithon posted:

I'm not sure if this counts, but Captain Baal went into mechanics and theory in the bonus materials to this Heritage for the Future LP. He also went through each character in turn and explained what makes them good and/or interesting. It was dropped, unfortunately, but he managed to get pretty deep into the game. It doesn't seem to have fallen into archives yet.

Thanks! That's the sort of thing I was looking for.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
Some LP recommendations by way of Kotaku.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Fedule posted:

Some LP recommendations by way of Kotaku.

How many of those are goons? Because I know at least 2 of the first 3 are.

Fedule
Mar 27, 2010

No one left uncured.
I got you.
That I immediately recognise, 5.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
6 if you count Proton Jon's Superman 64 LP which he started out posting to the forums during its sporadic updates (until he finally quit).

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

6 if you count Proton Jon's Superman 64 LP which he started out posting to the forums during its sporadic updates (until he finally quit).

The latest Superman 64 LP updat is dated 2017, so I don't think he like quit quit

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Every time he tries to do anything Superman 64 related something bad happens, apparently.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Alexeythegreat posted:

The latest Superman 64 LP updat is dated 2017, so I don't think he like quit quit

I meant quit posting updates here because his threads kept getting archived :v:

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

I seem to recall that he was told he couldn't post it here anymore because it was becoming like one update per thread.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
Basically that whole first generation of big LP'ers have abandoned SA. Slowbeef and Diabetus are gone, ProtonJon's gone, Geop's gone, the Freelance Astronauts are done, Chip and Ironicus are kinda gone.

Lotta talent (and ProtonJon) there just... gone. drat.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
long live the new blood

ApeHawk
Jun 6, 2010

All the NPCs will look up and shout, "Do this quest!"
and I'll whisper, "Sure, why not."
The Let's Players are dead. Long live the Let's Players.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

Wtf I thought geop was a mod here.

Am I getting old??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

nine-gear crow posted:

Basically that whole first generation of big LP'ers have abandoned SA. Slowbeef and Diabetus are gone, ProtonJon's gone, Geop's gone, the Freelance Astronauts are done, Chip and Ironicus are kinda gone.

Lotta talent (and ProtonJon) there just... gone. drat.

I'm still here. :smith: