Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

i mean i fully believe the part where he spent the entire time talking about inane nerd poo poo instead of loving

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

post hole digger
Mar 21, 2011

ate all the Oreos posted:

i mean i fully believe the part where he spent the entire time talking about inane nerd poo poo instead of loving

same

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Muskie doesn't gently caress, he reproduces.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

judging from his rockets' performance he just wants bang bang bang

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
tfw you find out the next day you were at an orgy not a vc meet and greet

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
you'd think the smell would have tipped him off

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

they were waiting on him to leave before it got sexy

heated game moment
Oct 30, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
ok, elon left. lets take off our clothes - something that has happened way more than at this one party

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

cis autodrag posted:

i will never understand why goons are so loving triggered by lena dunham

she’s incredibly unfunny and cringy and most importantly raped her infant sister

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

cursed image

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

Ah! well a-day! what evil looks
Had I from old and young!
Instead of the cross, the fishmech
About my neck was hung.

cis autodrag posted:

Watched Girls, liked Girls, haven't looked much into Lena

I see lots of potential elements to lena antipathy
mental health stigma
art that is supposed to make you uncomfortable
generalized misogyny, esp. towards publicly successful women who are not pleasing to the male gaze
... and I think that her artistic persona, at least for Girls, was really built around her struggles and her unhealth and not triumph or cool or whatever

I think there are people who find Lena relatable, but not to parts of themselves they like

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

prisoner of waffles posted:

mental health stigma
generalized misogyny, esp. towards publicly successful women who are not pleasing to the male gaze
... and I think that her artistic persona, at least for Girls, was really built around her struggles and her unhealth and not triumph or cool or whatever

I think there are people who find Lena relatable, but not to parts of themselves they like

now do amy schumer

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene

mental health stigma

don't forget the awkward incestuous poo poo in her memoir

or the fact that she wrote a memoir in her early 20s

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

brap posted:

she’s incredibly unfunny and cringy and most importantly raped her infant sister

young children: incapable of consent, but apparently fully capable of rape if we dislike them enough when they're older

Notorious b.s.d.
Jan 25, 2003

by Reene
i only made it through one episode of "girls"

it strongly resembled "seinfeld," in that all of the characters were loathsome human beings who needed a swift kick in the rear end

unlike "seinfeld," it was played almost totally straight and the viewer was expected to sympathize with the terrible people, instead of laugh at their pratfalls. that was a bridge too far.

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

pseudorandom name posted:

now do amy schumer

nah. coda: Lena's work is representation of all these things that are normally not in popular media and pent up demand for that representation is part of why she was received so well... and also rejected vehemently by others

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm personally not a fan of lena dunham because she molested a younger sibling and defended one of her writers accused of rape, along with pet neglect (all of which she personally and publicly documented)

plus her show's not that great but mostly that other stuff

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

rjmccall posted:

young children: incapable of consent, but apparently fully capable of rape if we dislike them enough when they're older

kids always have and always will play doctor, yes

but i think should really consider if you're comfortable saying that things an older child does to a younger one can't be called rape just because both parties are below the age of consent

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Notorious b.s.d. posted:

the fact that she wrote a memoir in her early 20s

no disagreement with that, but if you're a celeb with what the market might prove to be a very niche / gimmick appeal, you gotta capitalize on what you've got while the getting is good.

given the small wave of posts, "triggered" does seem appropriate

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

Stymie posted:

defended one of her writers accused of rape, along with pet neglect (all of which she personally and publicly documented)

100% reasons not to like her. also the "why isn't this football player attracted to me" fiasco

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

given the small wave of posts, "triggered" does seem appropriate

no, it really loving doesn't

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

100% reasons not to like her. also the "why isn't this football player attracted to me" fiasco

she’s the indolent child of wealthy manhattanites who deigns to slightly push for social rights while completely and totally ignoring economic ones

it’s a perfect microcosm of neoliberalism that barely barely pushes against the status quo and easily illustrates how bankrupt of an idea it is

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
but if you don’t like her you’re sexist i guess

prisoner of waffles
May 8, 2007

About my neck was hung.

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

but if you don’t like her you’re sexist i guess

that's, in a nutshell, why people don't like her more zealous fans

neoliberalism point also a good point

and I'm sure the nazis who are up on their theory consider all of her stuff degenerate art

prisoner of waffles fucked around with this message at 04:15 on Jan 12, 2018

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

Sagebrush posted:

kids always have and always will play doctor, yes

but i think should really consider if you're comfortable saying that things an older child does to a younger one can't be called rape just because both parties are below the age of consent

the principle is that we don't assume that children are fully responsible for their actions. obviously we treat them as having increasing responsibility as they get older. the post i quoted was about the behavior of a seven-year-old

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

pseudorandom name posted:

now do amy schumer

she's the one with the poo song?

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Suspicious Dish posted:

the shocking part is that google makes its own employees put up with the tirefire that is google groups

Google is all-in on pretending web pages are actually applications so they actively select for that kind of Stockholm Syndrome

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

7-year olds are dumb as poo poo

eschaton
Mar 7, 2007

Don't you just hate when you wind up in a store with people who are in a socioeconomic class that is pretty obviously about two levels lower than your own?

Jonny 290 posted:

nope, 'data-driven' startup kids

the founders wouldn’t have gone there without some hangups about using birth control though

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Krankenstyle posted:

7-year olds are dumb as poo poo

*runs into thread*

dont sign youre posts!!!!

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

NPR just had a good segment on the psychology of school shooters and how society likes to oversimplify the whole thing down to "bullying" when there's so much more going on. one part that was pretty good imo was where they were talking about how the internet allows edgy teens to find echo chambers where they can feel like their insane ideas are totally fine no matter what because there's other people who feel the same way and agree with them. specifically the example was like, some "columbine fan site", and the host was like "so I imagine these sites are really underground and hard to get to, like on the darkweb or something" and the lady's like "uh... actually no they're really easy to get to and in the clear" :allears:

i just assumed they're all on reddit

ArmZ posted:

IOT IUDs

U IDIOTs

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

cis autodrag posted:

speaking as someone who agrees that "girls" is unwatchable self-indulgent trash, it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with lovely men being triggered by a chubby girl having the nerve to write herself into sex scenes. she's been a boogeywoman of rightwing media long before they gnashed their teeth over the sister stuff with all the moral credibility of a pizzagater voting for roy moore

Trevor Hale
Dec 8, 2008

What have I become, my Swedish friend?

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

speaking as someone who agrees that "girls" is unwatchable self-indulgent trash, it has nothing to do with that and everything to do with lovely men being triggered by a chubby girl having the nerve to write herself into sex scenes. she's been a boogeywoman of rightwing media long before they gnashed their teeth over the sister stuff with all the moral credibility of a pizzagater voting for roy moore

totally. there are a ton of male actors with shittily bland liberal politics, but they do not get the hate she does.

however! she does truly suck and absolutely sold out the MeToo moment by defending her rapist friend who she has known “for almost half a decade” and she totally hosed over that dog. she’s a shithead and she should be exiled but that doesn’t explain the years of hate.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
the bland politics people typically aren’t official surrogates in presidential campaigns

Dixie Cretin Seaman
Jan 22, 2008

all hat and one catte
Hot Rope Guy

H.P. Hovercraft posted:

the bland politics people typically aren’t official surrogates in presidential campaigns

i don't think she was ever an official surrogate for a presidential campaign :confused:

surrogates are ppl chosen by the campaign to go on cable news, etc to represent the candidate's views in a debate or Q&A. they tend to be people who work in politics or craft policy proposals for a living.

near as i can tell lena dunham hasn't done any more for a campaign than these equally self-important dipshits

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1yq0tMYPDJQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nRp1CK_X_Yw

(btw, super-hottie scarlett johansen is in both of these yet hasn't provoked any right-wing freaksouts. did i mention how hot she is?)

Dixie Cretin Seaman fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jan 12, 2018

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde
she campaigned in a buncha red states and did a nonzero number of interviews does that not count

either way, extremely tonedeaf to the rest of the country that exists outside of nyc - you could say that was a persistent problem they had there

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Dixie Cretin Seaman posted:

(btw, super-hottie scarlett johansen is in both of these yet hasn't provoked any right-wing freaksouts. did i mention how hot she is?)

wait wait the sex symbol who is a parent that doesn’t spend a lotta time trying to lecture maga chuds about anything heavier than peta doesn’t receive a ton of political criticism

tbf the rageshit fox news would take if scarjo said that she wished she had had an abortion would be amazing and i would love to see such a response

H.P. Hovercraft fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jan 12, 2018

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
i'm not particularly a fan of scarjo for her support of sodastream

and celebrities should stay out of politics at any level beyond bland "get out and vote" type messaging

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

what's your threshold for celebrity?

i mean, you're a forum superstar, where are we drawing the line here?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stymie
Jan 9, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
if you earn your primary income through producing entertainment and are generally recognizable to the public as a result then you should probably just stay out of politics

take, for example, harvey weinstein

• Locked thread