Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
He already defeated the dreaded Tournament Arc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

Fabricated posted:

How do you have an pneumonia for years

Kohaku took REALLY good care of her sister

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

I actually had a bout of un-diagnosed pneumonia for like 5 months of bouts of fatigues and a never-going-away-cough that actually lead to me coughing up blood because I had an irritated throat from all the coughing. Then it suddenly got really bad and it was finally diagnosed after I started to have 104f+ fevers and lost 25 pounds in 3 weeks. So sure, yeah. She had it for years. I'll buy it in a shonen manga.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

pneumonia can keep coming back i'm pretty sure, so with no medical tech or anything to boost up the body sure she could just keep getting and and getting it and never really fighting if off.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
One little detail I like is that Suika is still scrunching her face up all the time because she hasn’t gotten her helmet/glasses replaced.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
I've started reading Boichi's Origin as well, and it's cool as gently caress. Between that and Hotel, you can tell he comes from some great sci fi pedigree.

khy
Aug 15, 2005

Phobophilia posted:

I've started reading Boichi's Origin as well, and it's cool as gently caress. Between that and Hotel, you can tell he comes from some great sci fi pedigree.

Origin is insane and the detail he puts into that is incredible. It's amazing to me how easily some artists switch between the hyper-detailed stuff to the sloppy-seeming chibi stuff like we often get in Dr Stone.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
The chibi jokes in Origin work better than it should, because it gets the irony of this cold inhuman robot being forced to thread the contradiction of self preservation and following a weird central directive and even getting enough money to survive.

Origin has some classic influences from GITS and Astro Boy and even Revengeance, I wonder how much of the writing and humor came from Boichi and how much came from Inagaki.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
heck yeah

https://readms.net/r/dr_stone/042/4813/1

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Senku's dad
The best loving anime dad

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Ah I guess the idea is that the people that were on the ISS didn't get stoned. That village must be horribly inbred.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
That's extremely cool.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I take some umbrage with the fact that the village has existed for 3000+ years and has apparently remained pretty stagnant in size and scope, but whatever the story is good so I'll deal.

skullhead tethyis
Dec 30, 2015
you don't know that,

dadsigami probably founded that village there to stay near his statute'd kid,
but you don't know how many people left in the interim, founded villages elsewhere, or got de-stoned

The village is most likely filled with true-faith believers in senku's talent via self-selection.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I can't remember which one, but there was some post-apocalypse book that claimed the ruined cities were actually why the rebuilding tribes were fairly stagnant - there was so much stuff that they could scavenge, that they skipped over steps in crafting and never learned techniques our ancestors did.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

does this mean Senku's dad just really likes Fist of the North Star

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?
It's always great to see awesome dads in manga.
Senku's dad most definitely fits the bill!

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Wait so

Senku married his grand-grand-grand-grand-(...)-grand-niece?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
And then divorced her!

Or maybe she was one of the families adopted into the village, rather than a direct relative. And if it's a thousand years or so ago, there's loads of people right now who have married ancestors that far removed.

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

Mikl posted:

Wait so

Senku married his grand-grand-grand-grand-(...)-grand-niece?

Yeah but that's legal in Japan

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

everyone's related if you go far enough back

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
This comic is so freaking cute and good!!!

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

kidcoelacanth posted:

I take some umbrage with the fact that the village has existed for 3000+ years and has apparently remained pretty stagnant in size and scope, but whatever the story is good so I'll deal.
Even with a head start of being descendent from people who have experienced civilization at its prime, their state of technology is actually way more realistic than you'd think! The beginning of the manga is a pretty good explanation where the act of simply not dying takes every single ounce of energy for Senkuu. Even then the only reason they are able to do much of anything is because Senkuu knows exactly what to do and exactly how to do it.

A clear historical example is of how something as simple as 'Citrus Cures Scurvy' can be unbelievably messy and complicated for a pre-scienctificapproach civilization to figure out.

Bisse fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Jan 15, 2018

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

It'll be hilarious when they finally check out Tsukasa's village like 500 chapters later, only to find out he died years back, after someone put some poison in his food.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

tsukasa's dad was also on the ISS and founded a similar village in the wild

DisDisDis
Dec 22, 2013
ISIS village

Galvanik
Feb 28, 2013

Tunicate posted:

It'll be hilarious when they finally check out Tsukasa's village like 500 chapters later, only to find out he died years back, after someone put some poison in his food.

This, but he caught pneumonia instead.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Galvanik posted:

This, but he caught pneumonia instead.
Or all the fellow gorilla people he unstoned killed him because they took his 'survival of the fittest' stuff very very seriously and they're all eating each other now.

I really wish we hadn't established a conflict like this straight off.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Fabricated posted:

I really wish we hadn't established a conflict like this straight off.

I get the feeling the author wishes this, too, and only had to do it because of editor pressure. Same reason I assume the first couple chapters have what's-his-face as protagonist rather than Senku when clearly Senku was the focus right from the start.

TurkeyFried
Oct 9, 2012

:thunk:
The flashback segments had me worried when reading that we were gonna get a scene change to Taiju and Art Girl.

The Senku stuff is so good and Chrome/Koharu are the superior sidekicks

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i wonder if taiju was supposed to be the protagonist, originally? did they rework the manga early on to make it about senku or was it always intended to be about him?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
It was already intended to be about Senku, but editors were worried that he wouldn't catch on as a main character, so we got Taiju added on as a sidekick. Then it became clear that no, people did like Senku, so Taiju kind of dropped away.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

I like Taiju

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

kidcoelacanth posted:

I like Taiju

Taiju's not bad, he's just absolutely not a strong enough character to be the MC of the series. I hope he gets to rejoin the gang at some point, and isn't just brought up at like the very end of the series and have us expect to still have some kind of strong emotional attachment to him (lookin' at you, Kongou Banchou. And also that one series about killing politicians whose name I can't be arsed to remember).

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Akumetsu?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Taiju could probably carry an arc or two as the lead while they're separated but yeah Senku is thirty billion percent better as main protagonist.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, that's the one. Both it and Kongou Banchou had female 'leads' as the viewpoint characters at the very beginning, who then vanished for almost the entire series before showing back up again at the very end. I'm sure those aren't the only two examples, either.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

https://jaiminisbox.com/reader/read/dr-stone/en/0/43/page/1

~Space Adventures~

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.
Hi Taiju, Hi Yuzuriha, welcome back to the comic for 1/16 of a page

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Fellis posted:

Hi Taiju, Hi Yuzuriha, welcome back to the comic for 1/16 of a page

He got too much focus IMHO.