Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im excited to See the Results!!

gmq posted:

March Comes in Like a Lion S1: The sister killed the show for me. Up to that point the show had been good, the relationship with the sisters was amazing... but from the moment his sister appeared my interest lowered by the second until it died. It felt like unnecessary drama.
this is a bummer cause kyouka is one of the best characters in March Lion imo and is one of the most important people for the reason Rei is the way Rei is, but I totally get it. Umino, the writer, never delivers a verdict herself on whether Kyouka is or isnt worthy of sympathy, instead asking you to do so, and if you don't have time for her, you'll wonder why Rei just doesn't drop her like a rock, but that's not who Rei is or what their relationship is so it's easy to say Hey gently caress This

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen
the best anime of 2017 is... anime-gataris???

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
Kyouko's relationship with Rei is pretty important, it's not at at all unnecessary. The story does a very good job of not mincing words with her actions/personality but also showing that in the end they absolutely still do have a sibling bond that (we can only hope) helps both of them get stronger. It's just a rocky road to get to that point.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

1st place has a landslide victory, but the remaining voters can still shake up the 2nd through 13th(!!) places

Unit24
Jan 31, 2015

Hey kids! Do you want to be as AKOOL as me?
Made in Abyss: Beautiful art, solid writing (mostly), gorgeous music, excellent direction, and a really interesting setting. Pretty much everything it needs to be my favorite show of the year. Oh, and it has scene that made me so physically uncomfortable I actually found it somewhat hard to watch on my first viewing, which is extremely rare for me.

Little Witch Academia: It's so refreshing to watch an anime that's actually just pure and wholesome the whole way through, while also being exciting and emotional from time to time. I'm actually a bit surprised at how lukewarm the general reception seems to be to this series, since I personally love it. It does have some small pacing and focus issues, but I barely even remember the problems when thinking back on it.

Blood Blockade Battlefront/Kekkai Sensen & Beyond: Finally, we get to enjoy the wonderful setting and characters without the kind of not great White and Black story from the first season. I really like the episodic character stories in this one, and I found the two-parter finale to be really satisfying. I need more.

Konosuba Season 2: Still a really funny show that also happens to be about 20-30% ecchi trash, depending on the episode.

My Hero Academia Season 2: Just a super solid shonen action series that I will continue to watch/read until it one day shits the bed and becomes an artificially prolonged zombified husk of what it once was. Which I hope never happens. Way too many drat flashbacks, though.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

I was gonna make I proper post but I never got around to it and today is the last day so

1. Little Witch Academia

2. My Hero Academia S2

3. Dragonmaid

That's about all I watched from last year that's worth going in a top five

Sakurazuka fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Jan 12, 2018

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

My lazy top 5.

1. Konosuba S2
2. Magical Circle Guru Guru
3. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju
4. Recovery of an MMO Junkie
5. Knight's and Magic

Really can't add much more to the top 4. I'm most surprised by how Knight's and Magic stayed in my memories. It's by the numbers but it was very well done, visually nice, and I appreciated the narrator saying ''Months passed, stuff happened, story continues..." instead of adding filler junk.

SeedyV
Nov 10, 2005

Water Triiiiibe
1. March Comes In Like A Lion S1
2. Land of the Lustrous
3. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid
4. Little Witch Academia
5. Recovery of an MMO Junkie

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I've watched 2 list-worthy anime since I did mine, can I resubmit?

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

My top 5

5.my hero academia s2
4. Youjo senki
3. Gamers
2. Konosuba s2
1. Anime-gataris

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

superLINUS posted:

I've watched 2 list-worthy anime since I did mine, can I resubmit?

Do what your heart desires~

You followed the rules and your votes are fine, so imo just ride it out until tonight.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I wish anime strike had gone poof sooner so I could have watched Land of Lustrous and put that on my list instead of the dragon show because it seems real good.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department: Really good, lowkey anime with a solid plot and characters. The adaptation really made the art style shine and stand out.

Blood Blockade Battlefront & Beyond: Although it felt kinda like a midquel wrapping up characters S1 had no time to cover I really enjoyed the majority of the self-contained little stories. I hope to see the anime continue now that the wide cast is properly introduced to the non-manga audience

Little Witch Academia: I liked it a bit better when it was a slice of life about a huge loser sucking at magic and her cool friends but it was enjoyable all the way through.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
Haven't had the chance to watch all the anime I've wanted this year, missing the entire winter season, but of the ones I finished, these are the five I enjoyed the most:

KonoSuba 2
March Comes In Like A Lion S1
Owarimonogatari 2nd Season
Sagrada Reset
Tsuki ga Kirei

No particular order.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Wark Say posted:

• My Hero Academia's 2nd Season just has way better material to work with. It's a pretty fun ride!
  • Animegataris goes down a weird rabbit hole, but I mostly enjoyed it.
  • Gamers! is cute, but more important than that, it's INCREDIBLY DUMB. Endearingly so.
  • KonoSuba has a few skeevy aspects, but it's so dang funny. My recommendation here is to wait for the whole "party" to be properly introduced (coincidentally, episode 3), and if you still feel no need to go on, it's totally understandable.
  • Little Witch Academia Is not very innovative as far as themes go, but it's an absolutely endearing and dynamically alive show when it comes to visuals. Like LotL is a breath-taking show, but LWA is playful in ways that few things are.

I'm double checking my data, and you almost got away with making this post as a 2nd set of votes lmao

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Metadata:
- 116 voters, 537 votes
- 69 of the 205 different series got Top5 votes

:siren: The Best Anime of 2017: :siren:
1. Land of the Lustrous - 42

Woooo yea ok we all saw that from a mile away, let's move on to the more interesting results:

The Gauntlet:
2. KonoSuba 2 - 32
T-3. March Comes In Like A Lion S1 - 28
T-3. Little Witch Academia - 28
T-5. ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department - 27
T-5. Made in Abyss - 27
7. Girls' Last Tour - 26

What a bloodbath! But the KonoSuba faithful came through with a late push that cemented them in 2nd place. All of these places shifted through the last day of voting.

The Special Mention:
8. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen - 24

Just a little less voting oomph than the group above, but a solid showing for this second season.

Just Made the Cut:
9. Recovery of an MMO Junkie - 22
10. My Hero Academia Season 2 - 21

The Snubs:
11. Kobayashi's Dragon Maid - 20
12. Princess Principal - 19
13. Kemono Friends - 18

This entire section of results also flip-flopped until the end, what a great year for anime.

In other words:

More Data:
As always, spreadsheet is open to viewing: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Y8yxmgercB2wTKG09jE04-121Irs8ByuCgv8bMR3QQ0

- Full list of results are on the FinalScores sheet along with other metrics such as what the results would look like if we weighted votes.
- Raw vote tallies are on the RawData sheet, i.e. how I interpreted all of your posts and words into numbers.
- And the voting visualizations are again on in the AdvancedAnal sheet, for example:

March Comes In Like A Lion S1 (Avg: 4.143)

vs

Land of the Lustrous (Avg: 3.860)

vs

Girls' Last Tour (Avg: 3.500)

vs

KonoSuba 2 (Avg: 3.344)

etc.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

That's a lot of really good anime.

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

AnacondaHL posted:

- 69 of the 205 different series got Top5 votes

Nice.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm almost positive darkgray did it for the memes, because it was at 68 for a long time until a new vote for Tsuki ga Kirei came in

Knorth
Aug 19, 2014

Buglord
Hooray! That's a good list of anime. Thanks for doing the counting AnacondaHL, and for putting together the thread dogsicle.

Ah. Eccentric family...

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
I somehow thought I was the only person who put HnK on my HMs list but not ranked, but it seems that there were 13 others.

I think I might still be the only one to put MiA on my list in favor of it, though.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
gently caress, I fell asleep. Well, I'll post my list anyways :cheeky:

Curse work and other obligations preventing me from watching more anime! :argh:

5. March comes in like a lion Full disclaimer, I have not finished this show yet, but from what i have seen of the first few episodes it's absolutely deserving of a spot, and woukd be criminal to ignore it otherwise. The direction in the first episode was superb, the art was gorgeous, and it just oozes with style. From what I've heard about the manga, the character arcs and drama are also very well executed, which would be more than enough to make a top list, easily.

4. KonoSuba 2 Easily my comedy of the year. I've heard complaints about how this was just rereading the first season, especially complaints about overdone jokes, and I could not disagree more. This season actually improves on the roles of characters like Megumin and Darkness, whom were mostly one note punchlines in the first season, to more expansive characters who contribute more to the comedy this season by participating in many jokes beyond their "gimmick". Lots of great dialog, voice acting, facial expressions, and badass moments, especially in the finale. I can't wait for a season 3 someday.

3. Girls' Last Tour As many others have pointed out, it's kind of hilarious that this wound up being a better Kino's Journey that the same season's Kino's Journey adaptation. But in all honesty, I think this is better than the original Kino's Journey too. While it has a similar feel in certain aspects with the characters' curiosities, this show really explores some unique places, both familar and alien to the viewers. This shiw is at both times heartwarming and extremely depressing. The show hit a kind of lull in the middle, but the last couple of episodes shot it back up. Also has my ED of the year.

2. Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju: Sukeroku Futatabi-hen A great continuation of the first season, which neatly resolves the conflicts established in the first season and completes our character arcs, whike still exploring strong themes of the first season such as preservation versus adaptation. However, I do feel it is the weaker of the two seasons, both with regards to the drama and the rakugo preformances, with the character acting and dialogue of the first season being much more muted this time, especially since there was less time to show the growth of certain characters as rakugo preformers. and it was enough weakness that it slid down to the #2 spot. Leaving...

1. Land of the Lustrous This show will have ramifications going forward, on how cg is incorporated into animation. Not only is the cg properly used to accentuate features that would be hard to do with traditional animation (flowing grass, moving hair, sparkles), it is properly combined with traditional animation to make some gorgeous, breathtaking scenes. The voice acting and character movements lead to a lot of fun gags that are enjoyable to rewatch over and over, and makes it easy to relate and connect to these characters. A great cast, so good it's hard to pin down any favorites for me. The ost is simply incredible. And perhaps most importantly, the character writing and arcs are poignant-you can strongly feel for Phos, Cinnibar, and Dia's struggles, as the show deals with some serious themes around self-worth, self-loathing, purpose and identity, trust, and changing oneself. These connected personally with me in a way that hit me heavily, and it'd be the most emotional a show made me this year. My only real gripe with the show is the last episode kind of running around in circles, trying to make an ending that bookends with the beginning of the season, which not only leaves the episode spinning its wheel in places, but leaves several arcs unresolved, though it does the best with the source material presented and does indicate where those arcs are going to lead.

Also an honorable mention to ACCA: 13 Territory Inspection Department which had a lot of style, a great story that drew me in to watch more, and fun characters all around, but got bumped from the list due to some weaker writing towards the end .

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

AnacondaHL posted:

I'm double checking my data, and you almost got away with making this post as a 2nd set of votes lmao
G'ah, my bad. I was just replying to the post above mine, but since the post was kinda big, I just emptied the post and just commented on the things I watched. Not my intention to try and double-dip, buddy. :)

Xinder
Apr 27, 2013

i want to be a prince
Thanks, Anaconda! This easy to read data is my favorite part of the thread every year.

I guess I'll put Land of the Lustrous on my backlog if it's apparently that good.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Happy to see March Lion at #3, I hope you all watch it.

Land of the Lustrous is very deserving of #1 too

Eela6
May 25, 2007
Shredded Hen

Xinder posted:

Thanks, Anaconda! This easy to read data is my favorite part of the thread every year.

I guess I'll put Land of the Lustrous on my backlog if it's apparently that good.

Thank you, Anaconda. I really enjoyed this!

Some might say Land of the Lustrous is the best anime of the year....

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

Xinder posted:

I didn't watch it all in time to vote on it, but if I had it definitely would've made the list.

I'm pleased that it won.

superLINUS
Sep 28, 2005

"The real tragedy happened long before I came along"
I watched it after posing my 5 but Land of the Lustrous would definitely have made it, along with Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu. I've enjoyed this, because as someone fairly new to anime it has given me shows to track down!

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Little sad New Game and Maidrag couldn't crack the list, but oh well. Least Girls' Last Tour made it in. Hell of a year.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

good list this year

thanks to y'all for voting, and especially thanks to anaconda for collecting and arranging all the data!

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

studio breakdown for the 69 anime that got votes

A-1 Pictures: 5 (Ao no Exorcist Kyoto Arc, Interviews with Monster Girls, How to Raise a Boring Girlfriend.flat, Fate/Apocrypha, The Idolmaster SideM)

Doga Kobo: 3 (New Game!!, Hina Logi, Gabriel Dropout)
Deen: 3 (Konosuba S2, Hozuki's Coolheadedness S2, Rakugou S2)
Sunrise: 3 (Ironblooded Orphans S2, Love Live Sunshine S2, Gundam Build Fighters Battlogue)
Silver Link.: 3 (Restaurant to Another World, A Sister's All You Need, Armed Girls' Machiavellianism)
Toei Animation: 3 (Digimon Appli Monsters, Kira Kira Precure, Tiger Mask W)

Shaft: 2 (March Comes in Like a Lion S2, Owarimonogatari S2)
Bones: 2 (My Hero Academia S2, Blood Blockade S2)
Madhouse: 2 (ACCA, All Out!!)
Wit Studio: 2 (Attack on Titan S2, Ancient Magus' Bride)
P.A. Works: 2 (Eccentric Family S2, Sakura Quest)
Bandai Namco Pictures: 2 (Gintama., Heybot)
Studio Gokumi: 2 (Tsurezure Children, Yuki Yuna Hero Chapter)
Lerche: 2 (Kino no Tabi, Scum's Wish)
J.C. Staff: 2 (Shokugeki S3, Minami Kamakura)
MAPPA: 2 (Inuyashiki, Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul)
UFOtable: 2 (Katsugeki Touken Ranbu, Tales of Zestiria the X)

Orange: 1 (Land of the Lustrous)
Trigger: 1 (Little Witch Academia)
Kinema Citrus: 1 (Made in Abyss)
White Fox: 1 (Girls' Last Tour)
Signal. MD: 1 (Recovery of an MMO Junkie)
Kyoto Animation: 1 (Dragon Maid)
Actas: 1 (Princess Principal)
Yaoyorozu: 1 (Kemono Friends)
Production I.G.: 1 (Guruguru)
NUT: 1 (Tanya the Evil)
Satelight: 1 (Symphogear AXZ)
Shuka: 1 (Natsume S6)
TMS Entertainment: 1 (Ninja Girl and Samurai Master)
Pine Jam: 1 (Gamers)
8bit: 1 (Knights & Magic)
WAO World: 1 (Animegataris)
Seven: 1 (Ai Mai Mii)
Haoliners Animation League: 1 (Centaurs' Worries)
David Production: 1 (Sagrada Reset)
Diomedea: 1 (Aho Girl)
SANZIGEN: 1 (ID-0)
Project No. 9: 1 (Girl Beats Boys)
Creators in Pack: 1 (Love is Like a Cocktail)
TROYCA: 1 (Re:Creators)
ILCA: 1 (Sengokuchojugiga)
Millepensee: 1 (Teekyuu S9)
Feel.: 1 (Tsuki Ga Kirei)

Takeaways:

Shoutout to A-1 and their loving coalition of chaos. if anyone had voted for granblue and/or blend s it would have been even more hilarious.
TMS got snubbed the most, they had like seven shows this year and only Ninja Girl got any votes, though Laughing Salesman got mentioned a couple of times.
Shoutout to Toei Animation, which managed to get 3 shows on the list with a total of 3 votes. They also managed to make the show ADTRW voted the worst this year, Kado, while they were at it. So they were really firing on all cylinders.
JC Staff had like 3 shows that got multiple mentions but no actual votes, including Alice & Zouroku, a show with 5 mentions and no votes, which I'm pretty sure makes it the most almost-but-not-quite voted for. Which probably merits some kind of prize.
Unlike last year, a studio had multiple shows in the top ten. Let's give a big round of applause to Deen, for bringing us KonoSuba and Rakugou this year. And also Hozuki, I guess?
David Production made ADTRW's second best anime last year and got a single vote this year.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Oh, right I was gonna ask about that: I still have the structure in the spreadsheet to do the studio tally like last year, I just needed a list. Gimme a sec~

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

david production will rise from the ashes this year when captain tsubasa comes out, i'm sure of it

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

I guess you could say it's a David v. Goliath situation

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

Studio Voting results based on series vote:

Deen's comedy/drama 1-2-punch of KonoSuba and Rakugo rise to the top!

littleorv
Jan 29, 2011

Studio NUT

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

littleorv posted:

Studio NUT

Yaoi Gagarin
Feb 20, 2014

littleorv posted:

Studio NUT

Space Flower