Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

I've gone pretty much as fast as a DDG can go (30+ kts is the unclass speed I won't say just how fast I went but it was definitely not 30) and yeah it's fun as gently caress to do high speed maneuvers. I wish I could have driven one of the 40+ kt vessels.

The only fun thing about INSURV was that the skipper felt I was the best ship driver so I got to drive for all of the evolutions. DDGs are loving amazing and can stop on a god damned dime (relatively speaking).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Mr. Nice! posted:

chief fundraisers are the biggest crock of poo poo. Buy your own god damned booze and quit getting junior sailors to pay for it.

When I found out that money wasn't for uniforms I was pretty wtf.

This triggers me. Marinette lol.

Thronde posted:

Freedom and Indies are cool in the sense that when they work, man they go fast. They're up there with small boats.

Yea going 40+ knots is pretty great, shame about literally everything else though.

Thronde
Aug 4, 2012

Fun Shoe
I know I've hit at least 42 on glassy sea states out here on our 25 footers. But those are small, light as hell, and grossly overpowered. And theres talk of engine upgrades. That'll be legit fun.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

I know the best part of being on the Enterprise was leaving our destroyers in our loving wake during tiger cruise when the CO was showing off. The DDGs pulled ahead at first but then we matched speeds and closed at a really good clip and blew past them while they were travelling at flank speed. Navy ships are fast, especially so for CVNs (they move scary fast for an 1100ft long ship)

orange juche fucked around with this message at 00:18 on Jan 10, 2018

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
I love seeing the big ol rooster tail on the flight deck of a DDG. Not so much a fan when my aircraft is out there and gets hit by waves coming from the sides.

When I was on my first deployment, aboard the Churchill under the exemplary Holly Graf, we were folding the tail of our bird which was in the starboard track, and a big huge wave came. It swept me off of my feet and I ended up pretty close to the aft edge of the port side of the flight deck.

Then on the translant back, we were doing a post phase FCF and a rogue wave hit us again. #2 engine ingested a bunch of water and had to get changed out.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Attack submarines are also incredibly fast, lots of power, tiny shape, very streamlined. And like carriers they can keep up that speed until the crew starves.

We'd do 40-80ft rooster tails on the surface for fun sometimes. You get one or two chances an underway going from stationary to ahead full.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Doing flank speed during sound trials up in Alaska we went so fast it was off the dial.

Subs love cold water.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

Yeah, I've never been on anything much past 20kt, Navy gets to have all the high speed fun. Maersk proper has a 40kt class but it sounds nightmarish from a fuel and maintenance perspective.

SL7s. For some reason I thought Maersk has them laid up in Scotland. It's probably cheaper to just use $100 bills for fuel.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Mr. Nice! posted:

chief fundraisers are the biggest crock of poo poo. Buy your own god damned booze and quit getting junior sailors to pay for it.

I had a Master Chief get mad at me for posting on Facebook that CPO selectees get uniform allowances and that the car washes are for chief's ball.

"But they are"
"That's not the point"

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene
I never gave a khaki a single red cent and never got hassled for it.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

lightpole posted:

SL7s. For some reason I thought Maersk has them laid up in Scotland. It's probably cheaper to just use $100 bills for fuel.

The SL7s I forgot about but those are bonkers too. The B class are the ones that were supposed to do China to US East Coast for Walmart presumably, since one is named the Bentonville or whatever. Usually stacked in Scotland, but sometimes they try to slow steam them in random trades when they're down a ship which must be a barrel of laughs. Google says 300+T per day for a small ship, lol.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Mr. Nice! posted:

I've gone pretty much as fast as a DDG can go (30+ kts is the unclass speed I won't say just how fast I went but it was definitely not 30) and yeah it's fun as gently caress to do high speed maneuvers. I wish I could have driven one of the 40+ kt vessels.

The only fun thing about INSURV was that the skipper felt I was the best ship driver so I got to drive for all of the evolutions. DDGs are loving amazing and can stop on a god damned dime (relatively speaking).

The thing that surprised me the most about serving on a ship is just how much everything shakes when you get up in speed.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

We have a small troop berthing below my office on the 3rd deck that gets so loud when the ship steams that we have to issue earplugs. Everyone thinks it's a joke until we stop turning squares and start to move somewhere new. Sounds like the drive shaft is slamming against the side of the berthing over and over and over.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

shovelbum posted:

The SL7s I forgot about but those are bonkers too. The B class are the ones that were supposed to do China to US East Coast for Walmart presumably, since one is named the Bentonville or whatever. Usually stacked in Scotland, but sometimes they try to slow steam them in random trades when they're down a ship which must be a barrel of laughs. Google says 300+T per day for a small ship, lol.

They load 'em up with whatever happen to be headed that way, a lot of it is Wal-Mart, but since everything's made in China I don't think it's all of it. Bentonville is probably related to WM being a big customers, but once you get a fleet as big as Maersk... You just run out of ideas as to what to name your ships.

If any of you here reading this ever gets to naming a ship, please, for the sake of your operations management people, don't name them after a port you call into often. The Who's on First routine is only funny when the poo poo isn't hitting the fan.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
My first company had a class named after Louisiana type food and stuff so the Chicory, Boudin, Beignet, etc.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

I ever get to name ships, I'm naming them AIS Malfunction, Radar Clutter, Test Contact, Next Upbound, Next Downbound, Underway Sailing, Stand-On Vessel, Red Tanker (Actually a blue bulker) and Blue Container Ship (A red tanker). Oh and the "Ownship" class. Ownship Vector, Ownship Track, Ownship Ghost, Ownship Position...

gently caress it, let the world burn.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Have you ever looked at Culture space ship names?

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

M_Gargantua posted:

(Previously known as MV Orange Success)

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

FrozenVent posted:

I ever get to name ships, I'm naming them AIS Malfunction, Radar Clutter, Test Contact, Next Upbound, Next Downbound, Underway Sailing, Stand-On Vessel, Red Tanker (Actually a blue bulker) and Blue Container Ship (A red tanker). Oh and the "Ownship" class. Ownship Vector, Ownship Track, Ownship Ghost, Ownship Position...

Don't forget the renowned MV ~~~~~~~~.

I've had a very similar conversation about naming airspace control measures; ROZ Hott, NFA Closed, an orbit named Tanker (for ISR) and an orbit named ISR (for tankers).

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

shovelbum posted:

My first company had a class named after Louisiana type food and stuff so the Chicory, Boudin, Beignet, etc.

This sounds delicious.

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus

FrozenVent posted:

It was cool when a new JO trying to stand OOD would come into the sonar shack and ask 'why is that dimus trace following us when we turn??'

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Don't forget the renowned MV ~~~~~~~~.

I've had a very similar conversation about naming airspace control measures; ROZ Hott, NFA Closed, an orbit named Tanker (for ISR) and an orbit named ISR (for tankers).

In Pensacola we have some navigation points that have names the look odd. I think the best one is point INBRD. Its supposed to be inboard but we call it inbred.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

M_Gargantua posted:

So Much For Subtlety
Frank Exchange of Views
I Blame My Mother
I Blame Your Mother

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

PneumonicBook posted:

When I found out that money wasn't for uniforms I was pretty wtf.

What’s it for?

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Anita Dickinme posted:

What’s it for?

literally the slush fund for the chief's mess used to buy booze and pay for parties.

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

Mr. Nice! posted:

literally the slush fund for the chief's mess used to buy booze and pay for parties.

What is suppose to happen, per MCPON's Guidance, is that any money raised during the season/initiation/induction/CPO-365 Phase 2/whatever is to be used for events during it and for the Khaki Ball. Any remaining money is to be donated to charity and not held by the Mess.

That being said, who knows from Mess to Mess if that guidance is followed to a T.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Nick Soapdish posted:

What is suppose to happen, per MCPON's Guidance, is that any money raised during the season/initiation/induction/CPO-365 Phase 2/whatever is to be used for events during it and for the Khaki Ball. Any remaining money is to be donated to charity and not held by the Mess.

That being said, who knows from Mess to Mess if that guidance is followed to a T.

As if it was possible for a chief's quarters to be unable to drink enough to spend all the booze money.

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

Jimmy4400nav posted:

In Pensacola we have some navigation points that have names the look odd. I think the best one is point INBRD. Its supposed to be inboard but we call it inbred.

I'm fairly certain Wingnut Ninja is pretty familiar with the nav fixes around the Pensacola airspace.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nick Soapdish posted:

It's avoided by just buying excess booze and the chiefs hang onto it and use it at any other chief function.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

vulturesrow posted:

I'm fairly certain Wingnut Ninja is pretty familiar with the nav fixes around the Pensacola airspace.

It's pretty fuzzy by now. All I can remember is the fix over Mobile bay that you can cheat just by flying towards the oil platform (TRADR).

Jimmy4400nav
Apr 1, 2011

Ambassador to Moonlandia

Wingnut Ninja posted:

It's pretty fuzzy by now. All I can remember is the fix over Mobile bay that you can cheat just by flying towards the oil platform (TRADR).

JERYS? I remember a few times when I was flying out over the bay they wanted me to do a point to point to that one, but since the VOR was like 30 nm out, everyone just used TRADR since it got them close enough to make MIF.

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009
Anyone been down to AUTEC lately? It's been 5+ years for me and I am wondering if the barracks are still poo poo.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

ded posted:

Doing flank speed during sound trials up in Alaska we went so fast it was off the dial.

Subs love cold water.

For feeding, but they come back to Hawaiian waters to calf.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

It's avoided by just buying excess booze and the chiefs hang onto it and use it at any other chief function.

I've seen them mostly use it to pay for raffle prizes to give away at the ball. iPads, Xboxes, Apple Watches, etc.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I've seen them mostly use it to pay for raffle prizes to give away at the ball. iPads, Xboxes, Apple Watches, etc.

Which is still loving bullshit to pay for with the hard earned money of junior sailors.

gently caress chief fundraisers.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Mr. Nice! posted:

Which is still loving bullshit to pay for with the hard earned money of junior sailors.

I am not disagreeing. It's definitely different than the senior enlisted culture in the Marine Corps.

PneumonicBook
Sep 26, 2007

Do you like our owl?

Ultra Carp

Nostalgia4Ass posted:

I am not disagreeing. It's definitely different than the senior enlisted culture in the Marine Corps.

Or any other branch.

Serjeant Buzfuz
Dec 5, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mr. Nice! posted:

gently caress chief

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

PneumonicBook posted:

Or any other branch.

Is it really just that they give them officer uniforms? Does the khaki dye cause some kind of biochemical reaction?