Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Spent some time this weekend mapping out our plans for next month. This can be a struggle, especially now with FP+, as my wife (and to some extent, me) is NOT a hyper-plan person. Still, I think we got pretty much what we wanted out of the new system.

Monday, Feb 5 - Undercover Tourist crowd level 3

Plane lands at MCO at like 11:45 AM, so we should be checking into the GF by noon 1:00 PM . It's unlikely our room will be ready, so I'm packing a change of clothes in my carry-on & we can leave my bag with the bellhop. We always begin our first day at MK, so our FP for that afternoon are:
-- Big Thunder
-- 7 Dwarfs
-- Space Mountain
When the park closes at 8, we're heading to the Poly to visit Trader Sam's for the first time. It was open the last time we went (almost 3 years ago!), but we didn't get to go in because my parents were with us and a 3-hour wait was out of the question. Jeez. We even stayed at the Poly! poo poo!

Tuesday, Feb 6 - crowd level 3

Breakfast at O'hana, then off to Epcot. We have FP for Frozen Ever After that afternoon, but the wife will be eager to see it, so we'll probably head straight to it at opening and pray for a short line. In fact, all our FP are mid-day to mid-afternoon:
-- 11:30 Mission Space
-- 1 PM Spacehip Earth
-- 4 PM Frozen
...and since we couldn't get a FP for Soarin', we'll probably run straight there after Frozen. Not sure what we're doing after the last FP at 4:00. We love Restaurant Marakesh and Biergarten, so we may have dinner at one of those. But we've both said we want to do stuff this time that we've never done before (I don't mean butt-stuff), so who knows. Suggestions welcome.

Wednesday, Feb 7 - crowd level 3

Starting the day at DHS with these FP:
-- 9 Star Tours
-- 10 Toy Story
-- 11:30 TOT
I can't imagine we'll spend more than half day here, and our afternoon is completely open. We have Park Hoppers, so everything is on the menu. Again, suggestions welcome. We have a dinner reservation at Paddlefish. Disney Springs wasn't up last time we went, so this should be interesting. We had visited Downtown Disney once or twice in years past (going back to 1999), and never found it very interesting. Supposedly the rebuild is designed to attract people like us. We'll see.

Thursday, Feb 8 - crowd level 5

Nothing planned for the AM, but we have afternoon FP at MK:
-- 1 PM Peter Pan
-- 3 Splash
-- 5:30 Seven Dwarfs
We're definitely NOT sit-by-the-pool people, so we may hit AK at opening and get in line for the Avatar rides. We have Friday (tomorrow) FP for Flight of Passage, but not for N'avi River, so this may be the way to go. We're planning on an evening trip to AK tomorrow, so we'd really only be visiting to take advantage of opening-hour waits in Avatarland.
Still, we gotta get back to MK by mid-day for our FP and the Tomorrowland Dessert Fireworks Party --or whatever it's called-- that evening. I'd just as soon watch the fireworks from Main Street and keep the $158, but the little lady likes to feel fancy so I bought the reservations.

Friday, Feb 9 - crowd level 5

This is our last full day. No morning plans...we'll just see what we want more of and go there. But we need to be at AK by mid-day because:
-- 12:45 Tiffins reservation
-- 3 PM Everest
-- 5 PM Flight of Passage
-- 6:45 Kilamanjaro Safari
Safari at night! Should be cool. Also, lunch at Tiffins includes seating at Rivers of Light.

Saturday, Feb 10 - crowd level 5

We always spend our last day at MK:
-- 9:35 Space Mountain
-- 10:45 Big Thunder
-- 12:30 Seven Dwarfs
Last time (almost 3 years ago) was our first post-FP+ visit, and we made the rookie mistake of booking the earliest-available FP, thinking we'd be able to start getting new ones once they had been used. Not so much. All the good ones are gone by then, or they're so late in the day we can't use them because we plan to park hop and/or have a dinner reservation.

Our flight leaves at 5:30 PM, so we'll need to be on the Magical Express bus at 2:30. We'll request a late checkout, fingers crossed. I defintely prefer having the room right up until it's time to go.

[rant]So far, I think FP+ sucks donkey balls. I vastly prefer the old system of running to the FP machines at rope-drop and getting what you could. No, seriously. The fact that I have the schedule above is because I was FORCED to have it. We've never ever had this level of planning and structure to our WDW vacations before (we've been like a dozen times going back almost 20 years). It fuckin sucks. I can't even imagine what it must be like for first-timer families with no idea what's going on. Enjoy the 3-hour waits, dipshits![/rant]

We're seeing/doing a ton of new stuff this time, and I'm excited. The Avatar stuff is new, Rivers of Light, new Soarin', new Mission Space, Frozen Ever After, Trump in Hall of Presidents (This is really the best attraction out there. Far, far better than anything that third-world theme park Six Flags has to offer. Totally classy, all the way, definitely the best. The imagineers said it would cost $100 million, $150 million -- I came in and we got it done for $75 million. Those other president robots are way, way behind me in the polls, and nobody likes them. The Obama robot looks like the guy from Mad magazine, and Chester Arthur barely moves. My robot is fully articulated, state of the art, top-of-the-line all the way, and the numbers prove it.), and probably a few other things I can't think of right now.

Lincoln fucked around with this message at 01:45 on Jan 10, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
How are you getting from MCO to the Grand Flo in less than 15 min is my first question.

Granted, I never went to WDW prior to FP+ so I don’t know any different, but it doesn’t really bother me. I will be there right at the end of your trip, we are Feb 8-12. Beach Club - plus doing my first character meal (Tusker House) and doing Hoop De Doo. My parents loved Hee Haw, and I grew up watching it, so I’m excited to drink and watch cheesy old times stuff. Or at least drink and eat my weight in ribs.

My goal is pulling a rope drop on AK EMH so I can get Flight of Passage accomplished that Saturday, and actually have a meal in Morocco for once, since I always cancel. Got dad hooked up with a Behind the Steam train tour, and doing opening breakfast at BOG on our last day - excited to hopefully get led across emptiness and get some good pics.

Also, spending some quality time at Stormalong Bay and exploring Boardwalk/Disney Springs since all parks close at 8/9. It feels really weird to be there and have the parks close so early - but it will probably be good for my back, so I am not going to be pushing 12-14 hours days hyped on *DiSnEy*MaGiC* and then exhausted for two weeks.

Anya fucked around with this message at 23:26 on Jan 9, 2018

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Yeah, I would expect 45 to an hour from landing to resort. Sometime you might wait 15 or so minutes to get on your magical express and you also might not be the first resort on their stop.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Yeah that was a typo. I meant 1 PM.

Kimitsu
Jan 11, 2012

Bear with me for a moment.
Butting in to be amazed that the week seems to be such a popular week.

I'm going to be there Feb 4 to 11 myself, with a fairly similar plan to Lincoln. I'm landing in the afternoon of 2/4 so my first actual park day will be 2/5, doing MK, Epcot, DHS, AK, one off day for resort hopping, Universal, and then one more day at Epcot. It's my first time with a WDW Resort/Magical Express and we're a fairly large group of friends with scattered arrival days/times, my first time going during a festival (Festival of the Arts), and my first time doing a tour (DestiNations), so there's a lot of firsts I'm nervous about.

I'm the kind of person who likes to just wander around and I had a lot of fun my last trip without much of a plan, but that was solo. FP+ is a little harder to work with because we have 10 adults with our own lives who aren't always talking to each other about Disney, but powerwalking at DisneySea's rope drop to get FPs for Toy Story Mania is an experience I'm not really ready to repeat. (I made FP plans with one person who really needs to plan everything out, the last two people to join us are basing their plans around ours as much as possible, and the others are grown-ups so they'll just have to deal with that appropriately.) I'm actually most excited? interested? to play around with Sorcerers of the Magic Kingdom and the Agent P thing.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

I'm there Feb 12 - 17 and the majority of my clients this year are going sometime in Feb. Feb is the new Oct.

Nottherealaborn
Nov 12, 2012
I’m there feb 8 - 11th. Kinda funny it’s so popular to go mid February all of a sudden

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
We have family coming that same weekend Braks and there are no rooms for cast discount. It's nuts!

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
What’s general weather temps? Touring Plans says 70s day 40s night, but then I see this crazy weather pattern going on and am generally curious about what to plan for this time. I’ve never been in Florida in February so I’m not sure what to expect.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

That millenium pink band dropped at disney springs today apparently

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Bottom Liner posted:

We have family coming that same weekend Braks and there are no rooms for cast discount. It's nuts!

If I understand correctly, cast member discounts and TA discounts are all coming from the same pool. I know when I booked our room months ago, there was next to nothing available. We're at AoA in a Nemo suite and we were lucky to get that.

I'm also trying to go back for my birthday the first week of Sept and then again in Oct/Nov, and there's nothing available for a TA rate. Hoping that stuff will open up later this month.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Rich people can soon buy more fat passes for their entitled families

http://m.mynews13.com/content/mobile/news/cfnews13/news/article.touch.html/content/news/articles/cfn/2018/1/9/disney_world_to_allo.html

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Well seeing as it's going to be for Club level guests, yeah. They really should charge $100 per adult. Those people would spend it.

E: "MOM I WANT TO GO ON THE FIGMENT ATTRACTION BUT I HAVE NO DESIRE TO WAIT IN LINE WITH THESE PLEBIANS!" "Yes yes Hunter give me a moment I have to have the maid access this 'My Disney Experience'"

*skunk'd*

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
That's such an obscene cost that I don't even mind, especially given the limited access.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
How many fast passes does this option allow?

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

You now need a pass to be fat at Disney? Crap.

Lincoln
May 12, 2007

Ladies.
Oops, I forgot to include this in the Hall of Presidents part of my post:

I made it just for that! Looks kinda like Barbara Bush at that size.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Hmmm. I'm staying club level next week. I should just take a 2nd mortgage on my house to get some more fastpasses

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Off topic but any of you goons have any experience with DC / Philly? Looking for stuff to do and rather ask you guys than the general goons

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Universal just announced that their all part time and team members who started with the company before New Years Eve are all getting a 1000 dollar bonus.

Meanwhile Disney's union can't manage to get Disney to agree to more than 50 cents. Wow.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My friends at Travel Ops just had a forced schedule bid and mandatory OT of 20 hours a week :)

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

Empress Brosephine posted:

Off topic but any of you goons have any experience with DC / Philly? Looking for stuff to do and rather ask you guys than the general goons

There's loads to do in both places but somehow I always end up at the Smithsonian.

Disney is being run by a dude whose eyes are filled with dollar signs, I'm not terribly surprised that they're being dickheads about money

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Groupon has those bus tours that throw in a free 3 hour night tour of the area. That was worth it all by itself.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Smithsonian Native American Museum is the best and their cafeteria with authentic native food is fantastic. The Holocaust Museum is also not to be missed. Hope you’re not driving though, DC is the absolute worst city to drive/park IMO.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nah we’re driving into Philly for a convention then will probably take the train to DC. I think that’ll work.

But yeah thanks for the Rex’s will check them all out. Also going to a Flyers game, club box :getin:

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Bottom Liner posted:

Smithsonian Native American Museum is the best and their cafeteria with authentic native food is fantastic. The Holocaust Museum is also not to be missed. Hope you’re not driving though, DC is the absolute worst city to drive/park IMO.

this time of year you can park on the mall and at any time of the year you can at least park nearby but I appreciate that it is hectic and confusing for people who don't know the roads

I enjoy the National Botanic Garden, which sits at the foot of the Capitol building.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Silly Burrito posted:

Groupon has those bus tours that throw in a free 3 hour night tour of the area. That was worth it all by itself.

Yes! We went to DC last summer and the night tour was the highlight of the trip. All the monuments look so beautiful when lit up.

If you email your representatives you can get tours of places that you can't just walk into. They're free but you have to be on the list. We did a Capitol tour that way and we got into the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (my son's favorite, he's way into money). You can even see if you can get into the White House that way. We ended up not being able to get a White House tour, but you should probably try.

Fejsze
May 13, 2013

Only you are the fish of my dreams

Be careful with the museums. I went to DC for a weekend and planned on a whirlwind tour of the Smithsonians, and instead spent 2 entire days at the Air and Space museum. They'll suck you in!

Dren
Jan 5, 2001

Pillbug

Braksgirl posted:

Yes! We went to DC last summer and the night tour was the highlight of the trip. All the monuments look so beautiful when lit up.

If you email your representatives you can get tours of places that you can't just walk into. They're free but you have to be on the list. We did a Capitol tour that way and we got into the Bureau of Engraving and Printing (my son's favorite, he's way into money). You can even see if you can get into the White House that way. We ended up not being able to get a White House tour, but you should probably try.

In the summer it's very nice to head down to the monuments at like midnight. It's very pretty and pleasant. Catching the sunrise is nice too.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
I've visited DC several times and I always found the Washington Monument creepy at night. I know the pulsing red lights at the top are there so planes don't crash into it, but I can't help but feel like it's watching me.

He wrought himself a new guise, an image of malice and hatred made visible; and the Eye of Sauron the Terrible few could endure.

BlueBayou
Jan 16, 2008
Before she mends must sicken worse
I love seeing the monuments at night

Also the American History Museum has an *amazing* exhibit on american propaganda

Plus the National Museum of African American History and Culture is *fantastic*

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Those all look cool. Yeah I forgot most things are free but that’s good since three nights in a hotel is like $600 ugh. Braks do you do any DC thugs and get something out of it?

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Those all look cool. Yeah I forgot most things are free but that’s good since three nights in a hotel is like $600 ugh. Braks do you do any DC thugs and get something out of it?

Not really. Maybe the hotel but not much beyond that.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Aw okay, well if you can get something out of a hotel for both cities let me know and I can book through you.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
DC was my Disney World - we'd do the 6 hour drive, stay in Crystal City at the Marriott with the Metro stop, and go all over the place, multiple times a year. Probably why I love history things so much now.

Definitely contact your congressional reps about any Capitol or White House tours - it is really cool to go down on the House or Senate floor, or to take the WH tour. The last time I was in the White House, you could just wait in line, so it's been about 20 years. The Metro is pretty easy to use for navigating around the city, but starting to suffer from overcrowding and such, and Uber/Lyft are great since parking is a straight hell, or use the Bike Share program if you're just putzing around the touristy areas- I've heard good things about that from friends who live there.

Best thing is to go to the National Gallery of Art, and ride the moveable walkway through the lighted underway, and then get gelato and eat it in front of the massive man made waterfall in their cafe. So pretty!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Aw okay, well if you can get something out of a hotel for both cities let me know and I can book through you.

If you have a hotel in mind, I can check into it.

Douchebag
Oct 21, 2005

Fejsze posted:

Be careful with the museums. I went to DC for a weekend and planned on a whirlwind tour of the Smithsonians, and instead spent 2 entire days at the Air and Space museum. They'll suck you in!

Ever make it out to Dulles and the Udvar Hazy Center? It’s an annex of the A&S museum and has a space shuttle, SR71, and a loving ton of other awesome stuff. We spent more time there than the museum in DC proper, it’s a,axing.

Edit. With regards to FP+ talk, does anyone think Disney will move towards a tiered pricing model similar to Universal? I’d personally prefer that. Planning what rides I want to go on months in advance is a pain in the rear end and would be much more enjoyable if it was more open ended.

Douchebag fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Jan 12, 2018

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
I hope Disney doesn’t do the premium tickets like Universal has. I don’t like the idea that only those who can pay more get to do more (I’ve done Universal with Express Passes twice now, and it’s frickin’ awesome, so this isn’t just resentment speaking). It takes planning, yes, but the current fast pass system is open to anyone regardless of how much they spent on their trip. I suppose I wouldn’t mind seeing a premium ticket option that gets you permanent fast pass status. But I sincerely hope Disney retains fast passes in something like their current form.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!

Grundulum posted:

I suppose I wouldn’t mind seeing a premium ticket option that gets you permanent fast pass status. But I sincerely hope Disney retains fast passes in something like their current form.

This exists, it's just incredibly expensive. It's basically VIP tour

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
My plans changed so now i'm spending like 6 days in Philly, 3 of which are at a travel expo lol . Bye DC :qq:

SOooooo what shoudl I do in Philly!