Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/jasonpinter/status/946070219176513536

https://twitter.com/sarahmei/status/946349190958915584

Mei's whole thread is great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Oh hell yeah. Thank you.

oh, and mine's half price on ePub this week too, which is stupidly popular for no good reason (sold 10 just today).

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Just picturing whatever editor they assigned to this as that frazzled penguin voiced by Patton Oswalt from Bojack Horseman

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Just picturing whatever editor they assigned to this as that frazzled penguin voiced by Patton Oswalt from Bojack Horseman

And note that this guy basically agrees with Milo, and even then you can read the comments on the PDF (I do not advise reading Milo's text, just skim the comments) and see about where he starts actually punching his desk at Milo's utter incompetence.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

The Vosgian Beast posted:

Milo: Perhaps our political discourse is too simplistic to accommodate the subtle argument I have presented here.

Editors note: perhaps it is

This stuff is being released because of his case against S&S right? Quite a big self-own in that case.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

divabot posted:

Hey everyone, Phil Sandifer's books are on sale this week on SmashWords, including the awesome and unjustly neglected Guided By The Beauty Of Their Weapons (aka What The gently caress Vox Day's Problem Is), which is FREE. So you have no excuse. These are ePubs, but you can convert them for your Kindle with Calibre if you like.

This got me to read Guided since its free, which I've liked enough so far that I also purchased Basilisk finally and may look at the other stuff as well.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: Delete irrelevant and superfluous ethnic joke

e: Wait no I just got to a way better one
PYF Dark Enlightenment Thinker: Let's leave "fecal waste" analogies out of this chapter

Shame Boy has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Dec 29, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Sonething relevant to this thread (and completely terrifying) by Charles Stross

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
That is a pretty good speech

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
Gamergate isn't over guys, we can still win

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos

Gamergate has morphed into something far more complex and beautiful

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

meanwhile in the uk

https://twitter.com/AllyFogg/status/951050139338145792

http://londonstudent.coop/news/2018/01/10/exposed-london-eugenics-conferences-neo-nazi-links/

also feat. everyone's SSC's favourite proto-existentialist philosopher and 'self-taught geneticist'

Baby Babbeh
Aug 2, 2005

It's hard to soar with the eagles when you work with Turkeys!!

I for one am shocked to find that the eugenicist conference was full of Nazis.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
lol

https://twitter.com/shujaxhaider/status/951130547073552386

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Isn't Urbit (Or whatever his startup is) technically a competitor to Google? Because that's a pretty compelling and reasonable reason to block someone from company property

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Google has people from competing companies visit all the time, both socially and professionally.

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost
It seems quite likely that Google would have a list of notable people from a number of different companies assigned to a watchlist.

Like, I imagine there would be an automatic "ping" in the system somewhere if someone signed in as Steve Jobs.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Somfin posted:

It seems quite likely that Google would have a list of notable people from a number of different companies assigned to a watchlist.

Like, I imagine there would be an automatic "ping" in the system somewhere if someone signed in as Steve Jobs.

I dunno, their ‘Don’t be Evil’ sensors have got pretty rusty. I’m not sure necromancy would trip ‘em.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

Darth Walrus posted:

I dunno, their ‘Don’t be Evil’ sensors have got pretty rusty. I’m not sure necromancy would trip ‘em.

If you look closely there's an asterisk after "Don't be evil" and when you reference the bottom of the page you'll see the condition *but, I mean, what really is evil anyways?

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana

DarklyDreaming posted:

Isn't Urbit (Or whatever his startup is) technically a competitor to Google? Because that's a pretty compelling and reasonable reason to block someone from company property
That's like calling TempleOS a competitor to Google

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

mysterious frankie posted:

If you look closely there's an asterisk after "Don't be evil" and when you reference the bottom of the page you'll see the condition *but, I mean, what really is evil anyways?

I mean Alphabet dropped "don't be evil" when it formed so it's not like that's stopping them anymore. Apparently they replaced it with the even more subjective motto "do the right thing" :allears:

Grace Baiting
Jul 20, 2012

Audi famam illius;
Cucurrit quaeque
Tetigit destruens.

Alphabet: "Perhaps on the rare occasion that pursuing the right course demands an act of evil... evil itself can be the right course?"

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Anyway World's Most Punchable Nazi Richard Spencer gave a speech at the university of florida last October (that he paid to do, they didn't invite him). In preparation the governor declared a goddamn state of emergency and there were cops out everywhere. Anyway now the county is giving the university a bill for $300,000:

quote:

Alachua County sent the school an invoice Wednesday for $302,184 encompassing costs related exclusively to Mr. Spencer’s appearance at the university on Oct. 19, his first scheduled speaking engagement since participating in the deadly “Unite the Right” protest two months earlier in Charlottesville, Virginia.

Hundreds of law enforcement personnel descended on the UF campus anticipating potentially violent protests, and Alachua County said it expects the school to foot the bill.

“In the aftermath of the Richard Spencer private event, we are seeking reimbursement for the public safety resources requested by the University and provided by Alachua County,” wrote Lee Pinkoson, the chairman of the Board of County Commissioners.

“This is a simple matter of submitting a request to get reimbursed like we do when we provide fire rescue staff for at a football game or any other time that the university requests resources that taxpayer dollars pay for,” explained county spokesman Mark Sexton, WCJB reported.

The invoice lists costs including $260,494 for law enforcement, $19,518 for fire rescue services and $6,343 toward court security and jail services, among other expenses related to Mr. Spencer’s appearance.

“As a result of this decision that UF made to allow this event, we responded,” Mr. Sexton said, “and now we’re simply submitting an invoice to get reimbursed for the services we were asked to provide, which we provided.”

I really hope the university finds a way to forward this bill on to ol' spency :allears:

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

ate all the Oreos posted:

"do the right thing *cough*fortheinvestors*cough*"

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Anyway World's Most Punchable Nazi Richard Spencer gave a speech at the university of florida last October (that he paid to do, they didn't invite him). In preparation the governor declared a goddamn state of emergency and there were cops out everywhere. Anyway now the county is giving the university a bill for $300,000:

I really hope the university finds a way to forward this bill on to ol' spency :allears:

This is good because it means that protesting has or had economic repercussions which in the future might disincline other universities from hosting nazis.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Boatswain posted:

This is good because it means that protesting has or had economic repercussions which in the future might disincline other universities from hosting nazis.

Not really how it works; as a public university, the University of Florida probably couldn't have avoided hosting him in a way consistent with current First Amendment jurisprudence.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Silver2195 posted:

Not really how it works; as a public university, the University of Florida probably couldn't have avoided hosting him in a way consistent with current First Amendment jurisprudence.

Yeah hence why I hope there's a way for them to pass the bill on, because at the very least there needs to be a way to make "Being Richard Spencer" prohibitively expensive

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Yeah hence why I hope there's a way for them to pass the bill on, because at the very least there needs to be a way to make "Being Richard Spencer" prohibitively expensive

Martyring him will make him relevant again.

Which, given that he's now being attacked by the Nazis for making them look bad, is probably exactly what he and his enemies want to avoid.

Martyrdom it is.

Boatswain
May 29, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

I'm sure you are right but in the article above the county spokesman made it sound like the university did have a choice.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Boatswain posted:

I'm sure you are right but in the article above the county spokesman made it sound like the university did have a choice.

I just realized I neglected to actually link the article, sorry

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/jan/11/richard-spencer-event-yields-300k-bill-for-univers/

quote:

The University of Florida initially refused to host an event featuring Mr. Spencer following the violence in Charlottesville, but the school conceded after being threatened with litigation and agreed to accommodate his first public speaking engagement since “Unite the Right” on Oct. 19.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!
Tom Chivers is a British journalist. He's written for a pile of places, most recenty BuzzFeed. He's pretty good, I've long found his byline a reliable sign of a decent popular science writeup. He accepted redundancy from BuzzFeed to concentrate on his forthcoming book: The Rationalists.

Weidenfeld & Nicolson posted:

W&N has pitched The Rationalists as "a book about the cutting edge of our thinking on intelligence and rationality right now by the people who stay up all night worrying about it", executed with Chivers' "easy style, humour and wonderful storytelling ability".

Murphy said what really makes the book stand out is the author's original take on the subject. As well as AI and AI risk, it focuses on the community of people who are trying to think rationally about intelligence, explaining why they are worried, and why they may be right or wrong to be. It isn't about the future, W&N explains "it doesn’t try to guess how many of us are going to be put out of work by AI, or what the operating system in your house might be able to do in 10 years’ time".

He's done an AMA on /r/slatestarcodex. Apparently he reads this stuff and hangs out with some of them.

I tweeted about this - noting my running total of 0 words to date on my own mooted book on the subject - and he asked me to contact him, so I've emailed and said I'd be delighted to talk to him.

Wonder if he'll be covering the subculture's hearty embrace of scientific racism at all ...

divabot has a new favorite as of 21:37 on Jan 14, 2018

Sax Solo
Feb 18, 2011

And sexism too. Rationalists seemed essentially to agree with James "Fired for :biotruths:" Damore

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

What is the Matrix 🌐? We just don't know 😎.

Buglord
Internet Rationalists are just as happy as any other far right group to embrace racism, sexism and the various LGBT-phobias.

They're a bunch of white male nerds that love to write terminator fanfiction.

Aschlafly
Jan 5, 2004

I identify as smart.
(But that doesn't make it so...)
I guess "rationalist" doesn't entail reading any biology after the 1970s, when we figured out "scientific racism" was bullshit.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

https://twitter.com/scalzi/status/952364974038573056

Weird, I'd think they'd all love Heinlein

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
They love Fascist Heinlein but that love is overridden by the hatred for Redheaded Younger Daughter loving Heinlein. I assume.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

DACK FAYDEN posted:

They love Fascist Heinlein but that love is overridden by the hatred for Redheaded Younger Daughter loving Heinlein. I assume.

That, and "Awesomely Competent Women Give Me A Raging Hardon" Heinlein and "Ha Ha The Protagonist Was Secretly A Person of Color And You Were Identifying With Them All Along" Heinlein.

RAH was a complex and weird dude. By which I mean he had a lot of weird complexes.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

DACK FAYDEN posted:

No, provided that redheaded younger daughter is of the same race, they love that poo poo. Citation: The five billion creepy manosphere blogposts about how men are just genetically hardwired to only get REALLY hard for twelve year olds

Though they aren't a hivemind, so some of the less openly nazi DE dudes still love Heinlein

Pitch
Jun 16, 2005

しらんけど
Am I thinking of the wrong Heinlein? It wasn't his daughter, it was a double-X-chromosome clone of himself.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

A clone of someone is for all practical purposes just their very inbred child.