Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Pander posted:

1) Does his pUSB stack with TGC RM in a meaningful way? Or is it diminishing returns?

All cast speed buffs with unique IDs stack, but they all inherently have diminshing returns. Let's say you have a character with 150 speed, which means they have a 1.75s turn timer, and they're using an ability with a 1.65 cast time. With TG Mode (3x cast speed), the cast time is reduced to 0.55s, so their dps would be increased by (1.75+1.65)/(1.75+0.55)-1 = 48%. If they had high quickcast (also 3x cast speed), their cast time would be reduced to 0.18, so their dps compared to with only TG Mode would only be increased by (1.75+0.55)/(1.75+0.18)-1 = 19%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Pull 1: Disco! Oh it's Refia USB, dammit
Pull 2: Disco! CoD USB, double dammit!
Pull 3: Disco! OK mUSB, awesome!

Since I'm a disco-machine today I decided to go for the lucky draw. 2 discos! Some Tidus sword and a fancy gloves, could it be water chain and hyper mighty G!?!?! Nope Tidus OSB and Kimhari USB.

:negative:

Oh well, can't complain about 5 discos in 175 mithril, and Butz will appreciate a 6* star water sword at the very least. Tidus is one of my favorite FF characters and after pulling on every one of his banners I finally have something for him, which is nice.

e: oh yeah also got 2x Arc LMR, 1x Arc BSB dupe and 1x Dingus BSB2 in there somewhere.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Jan 11, 2018

Flavahbeast
Jul 21, 2001

Regarding the realm dungeon revamp: I'm at 593 dungeons cleared. Should I just do 8 more realm dungeons so I'm in the 601-800 reward bracket and then ignore realm dungeons until the revamp happens in March?

I'll be a little mithril starved but the mithril isn't going anywhere and the JP version apparently got a month of half price realm dungeons when their revamp went in

Shock Trooper
Oct 24, 2006

TERROR BALTIMORE

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I'm horribly hamstringed by 4* Vitality Motes right now. I have something stupid like 300+ 4* Bravery Motes and one single 4* Vitality.

This is especially irritating because it's stopping me from giving Onion Bro his 5* ability access on the physical half. :argh:

Were you farming the Vitality mote dungeon at all the last couple days?

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
edit: :sigh: OKAY, i guess

that voice acting is a real tough hill to climb for me but taste is subjective i guess

Mirthless fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Jan 12, 2018

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
We don't favorite character shame in this thread.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
swapping USB onion knight in for USB luneth dropped like nearly 4 seconds off my wisdom mote dungeon time

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Alright, finally cleared my first 300 difficulty jump start torment.

Might as well as four manned it too, I brought PCecil to OSB burn him through the weak phase but the dude can't take a punch for poo poo.

eelmonger
Jun 20, 2008
PCecil's entire gimmick is taking punches though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

I'm doing this too so I can make one pull on this banner :smith:

This was worth it.

2/11: Onion Knight mUSB and CoD USB

:getin:

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
30.8s on Mist Dragon. I can almost do it. Would probably be cleaner if I actually bothered to dive one of my Dark mages, but... eh.

soscannonballs
Dec 6, 2007

Are there guides for building specific characters? I have gotten all of my team past their first level cap and 2 past their second cap (Kefka and Dark Cecil) and I was wondering if there are other characters that have good materia I should be leveling up so I can use it on my main team. I am still not too far into story mode, but I have been doing the special dungeons that give the memory crystals and various characters. My other 3 guys are Paladin Cecil, Golbez, and Exdeath. I have been running Exdeath and Golbez as casters with whatever the highest rank spells I can get; Paladin Cecil with Shellga and Memento of Prayer; Kefka has Mage's Hymn and Darkra; Dark Cecil has Double Cut and Dark Bargain. Kefka has completely carried me through difficult fights so far since I have gear that gave him his BSB, SSB, Overstrike, and the Conniving Clown legend materia.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Ones to shoot for are cloud, ramza, tidus and tyro's RM3, which means breaking their level 65 caps and getting the random drops (Make sure to get their previous ones, Cloud has specific criteria). You'll use those in the vast majority of fights.

Other than that a lot of the really good ones are double cast or level 99 "X abilities/element/weapon deal much more damage" RM4s.

RagnarokAngel fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Jan 12, 2018

FutureFriend
Dec 28, 2011

I would rec that when you get the eggs and MCs of him up to 2, to grind out Tidus for his record materia. Gives you a materia that builds up your SB guage by like 1.5x the rate. Ramza has got that materia too.

ef;b

Griz
May 21, 2001

Vanille's RM2 to turn the default attack into a small heal is also great, you can autobattle through all the trash stages and still have everyone at full health for the boss.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Luneth is super worth taking to level 99 first, because his 99 RM is the best of all +exp RMs.

Shoenin
May 29, 2013

Everynight I wake up Screaming.
(and beating the dragon)

eelmonger posted:

PCecil's entire gimmick is taking punches though.

I always pictured PCecil basically going and ranting like Arnold trying to bait The Predator.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?
I got Cloud of Darkness’ USB Staff - is this thing any good? It’s my first (and only) six star equipment.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

synthetik posted:

I got Cloud of Darkness’ USB Staff - is this thing any good? It’s my first (and only) six star equipment.

Yes. It gives the party a good stacking +mag/res buff and gives her en-dark, which makes 5* dark abilities pretty potent in her hands. Beyond that it's a good stat stick in a relatively potent realm.

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Pander posted:

Yes. It gives the party a good stacking +mag/res buff and gives her en-dark, which makes 5* dark abilities pretty potent in her hands. Beyond that it's a good stat stick in a relatively potent realm.

Gotcha. I’m still at the part where I’m trying to build stamina by running the realm dungeons and it seems to help.

Ice_Mallet
Feb 22, 2011
With the new Onion Knight Rod, I finally defeated Golem! Now I unlocked the holy/dark magicites!

What a good banner. I also picked up Ingus' Mirror Shield, which is interesting I guess?

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Shock Trooper posted:

Were you farming the Vitality mote dungeon at all the last couple days?

No I didn't have anyone in particular I was worried about diving and was also just preoccupied with life. So of course I get a big reasons to farm them as soon as the mote dungeon switches off of 'em. :sigh:

Oh well... a couple of the elite realm dungeons just released give like 10 4* Vit Motes each. The ones from XI with 3 boss gauntlets. :shepface:

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
I'm at the point where everything I want to do costs 60 stamina, and I need to grind Power and Summon crystal dailies for 100 stam per.

I just want to use my new toys and play the game, why does it all need to cost so much :sigh:

Grozz Nuy
Feb 21, 2008

Welcome to Moonside.

Wecomel to Soonmide.

Moonwel ot cosidme.
So Dervish is definitely the best skill to use for ninja-mode OK, right? Guess I gotta get around to crafting/honing that finally.

ceaselessfuture
Apr 9, 2005

"I'm thirty," I said. "I'm five years too old to lie to myself and call it honor."
Kinda. Quick Hit to Leaping Rush is also a great option. If you wanted to slap Dervish on someone else, for instance.

jebeebus
May 2, 2005

FF7F00 Cocos Nucifera
Morus : Passiflora Edulis
Cherimoya : Castanea
Synsepalum+(Citrus x limon)
Monstera : L. chinensis
The great thing is that Ninja EX gives reduced casting time on any ability. Sometimes I like to cast his buff then just become a speedy entrust bot, which works even better with his LMR. Dualcasting Dervish is pretty sick too though.

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
I couldn't mentally handle skipping OK banner after skipping the DU LD so I caved in and pulled with 4 dupes.

CoD USB
Refia LMR
Arc BSB (dupe)

That's good, I have essentially a complete Refia now and that USB will be useful.

Then I pulled again with six dupes, asking for trouble.

Sage USB
Dingus BSB2
Arc BSB (dupe again)

I can't believe I didn't get punished there. Sometimes pull.

Does anyone want a review of Sunday's water banner despite it being old stuff?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Neutral Zone Trap posted:

Does anyone want a review of Sunday's water banner despite it being old stuff?

Not old stuff for me so I'd read it, considering a pull on that to get my Tidus mvp some synergy. :D

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

Avalerion posted:

Not old stuff for me so I'd read it, considering a pull on that to get my Tidus mvp some synergy. :D

As someone with Tidus chain and no other water, Same

Neutral Zone Trap
Nov 6, 2011

It's in the garbage. Where it belongs.
Alright.

The FFIII event doesn't have a 2nd banner and instead in 60ish hours we get a generic water banner instead. Is it because onions make you cry?

Edge USB Chaotic Moon: Kiku-ichimonji (IV) (Katana)
Water, Lightning
Ten random attacks (0,71 each), grants Chaotic Moon to the user
Chaotic Moon: Grants High Quick Cast 1 after using a Water attack, casts Lurking Shadow after using a Ninja ability if the user has any Physical Blink
Lurking Shadow: 1/1/2 single attacks (2,16 each) if the user has Physical Blink 0/1/2, 100% hit rate

This was the beginning of the FFRK ninja storyline which is still ongoing even in JP like some kind of a Naruto show. Physical ninjas went from "useless" to "best damage dealers in game" in a single update granting us Reflecting Pool + Raging Waters and this was the hyped relic to go with the new ability interaction.

Let's first briefly go over how the abilities work. Reflecting Pool grants you the ability to stack physical blinks up to 2 and gives you a PBlink. Raging Waters deals 2/3/4 (1,0 each) attacks depending on the number of your blinks (0/1/2). So ideally you cast Reflecting Pool twice and then spam Raging Waters for a 4 hit beating and then because you've dived your ninja you'll doublecast it. The interaction is exactly the same for the shadow version and the upcoming earth version. What should be noted is that the damage ability is eventually getting buffed to 3/5/7 (0,7 each) hits because apparently this wasn't overpowered enough as it was for an ability with ninja cast time (0,83).

Back to the relic. Entry is basic, note the lack of NE damage though. Chaotic Moon gives you quickcast water cycle though you'll have to spend the whole 0,83 seconds on the first Raging Waters cast before it kicks in. After using a water ability if you have a physical blink you will additionally chase with Lurking Shadow dealing either one hit for one Pblink or two hits for two Pblinks on you. Lurking Shadow has a massive multiplier so this is pretty much a guaranteed 10k/20k extra damage against water weakness.

So you get your blinks up, cast USB and go 0,27 cast time Raging Waters until you can cite lyrics from Rime of the Ancient Mariner and say "Water, water everywhere". What's there not to like? Well, there is one little thing.

Sometimes the enemy punches back and you lose your blinks. Actually most of the god drat time the enemy punches back and you lose your blinks which really hinders your damage dealing capability because no blinks means no chase at all. Sometimes it doesn't matter like vs Living Flame or the IV Rubicante boss where the enemy either barely punches or can be taunted with a spare Ramza or something but the other end of the scale are fights that punch all time time like X Yojimbo where Edge's chase is neutered. Edge is still fine vs that boss, not taking any damage while dealing decent damage in return is still great but the actual USB isn't very useful.

This is a very good relic but you need to be aware of the downside. There's a big variance in effectiveness depending on the fight. Also this moron can't use swords because apparently they are too different from katanas so you'll be digging deep to find a +water weapon for him (it's Rikku USB fist).

Excellent.

Yuffie USB Clearest Tranquil: Rising Sun (VII) (Thrown)
Water, NE
0CT Eight single attacks (0,88 each), ATK and DEF -50% for 25 seconds, restores HP to all allies for 40% of the their maximum HP

Yuffie is a water ninja like Edge who eventually gets a USB that is "like Edge's but better in every single way, especially chasing even with 0 blinks". This, however, is not that USB.

So Yuffie wants to spam Raging Waters like Edge and this does interact somewhat favorably with that plan. The break part is good for content that allows it and a party heal is a nice bonus which might let you use a weaker more buff oriented healer etc. The primary draw here is instant cast which lets you drop a half-OSB with other upsides in between your water ability spam. Note that Yuffie is in the hybrid legend dive selection (wisdom, bravery) so getting motes for her is easier than normal since that category only has OK and maybe Tyro as other reasonable targets if we're not playing favorites.

Great.

Tidus USB Day to Remember: Blitz Ace (X) (Blitzball) water boost
Water, NE
Ten single ranged attacks (0,71 each), grants Attach Water, EX: Ace and Instant Cast 1 to the user
EX: Ace : ATK +30%, casts Run & Shoot after dealing damage with a Water attack
Run & Shoot : Six single ranged attacks (0,32 each), 100% hit rate

Teedus. How good can a stupid Teedus blitzball be? Enwater, +30 stacking ATK and one instant cast plus chase your Sapphire Shots (3,40) with 1,92 additional multiplier worth of damage. That's more than over half of its damage that will never deal with cap problems and is insane with a water chain because it hits so many times. This is simple and deadly. No strings attached. Cast Sapphire Shot, win fight.

The relic is +water and you might say "But it's a stupid Blitzball! No one else can use it!" and you'd be right. But no one else needs to use it. It's Teeduses ball and he takes it in every realm with him and gets the +water bonus.

Top tier water thing.

Tidus OSB Energy Rain: Apocalypse (X) (Sword), water boost
Water, NE
12,00 Breaks damage cap

Finisher. Not good for much else. +water sword is excellent for your other water folks too. Especially Butts.

Good.

Edge BSB Seething Waters: Mutsunokami (IV) (Katana)
Water, NE
Eight single attacks (0,83 each), grants Haste, Attach Water and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 Water Barrage 0,83CT Four single Water, NE attacks (0,47 each)
CMD2 Raging Seas 0,83CT Two group Water, NE attacks (0,60 each)

Enwater, can't compete with Raging Waters at all. Just use Raging Waters and make multiple copies if necessary. AoE option is nice to have but it won't save this from being enwater for Raging Waters.

Decent.

Yuffie BSB2 Doom of the Living: Spiral Shuriken (VII) (Thrown)
Water, NE
0CT Six group ranged attacks (0,83 each), causes Imperil Water 20% for 25 seconds, grants Haste and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 Way of the Mirror 0,83CT Two single Water, NE ranged attacks (0,75 each), grants Physical Blink 1 to the user
CMD2 Cup Overflowing 0,83CT Ranged Water, NE attack, smart ether 1 to the user

Instant cast, Imperil. Ethering is a waste of time but CMD1 PBlink gain is interesting. You'll still have to carry Reflecting Pool to gain the ability to stack blinks but maybe it can come handy sometimes. Probably not.

Decent.

Rydia BSB2 Law of the Eidolons: Minerva Bustier (IV) (Light Armor)
Water, Holy
Six group attacks (1,99 each), minimum damage 1100, causes Imperil Water 20% for 25 seconds, grants Haste and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 Gift of the Eidolon King Four single Water, Holy attacks (1,95 each), minimum damage 1100, grants Magical Quick Cast 2 to the user
CMD2 Gift of the Eidolon Queen Two single Water, Holy attacks (4,28 each), minimum damage 1100, smart ether 1 to the user

Imperil. CMD1 is a fine weave between other summons and maybe you've buffed yourself so high the summon ability three hit cap is too tight. Ether isn't useful.

Good.

Tidus BSB2 Sonic Strike: Twilight Steel (X) (Sword)
Water, NE
0CT Ten single ranged attacks (0,72 each), ATK and DEF +30% to the user for 25 seconds, grants Haste, Instant Cast 1 and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 Dash Shot 0,83CT Four single Water, NE ranged attacks (0,54 each)
CMD2 Invigorating Shot Two single Water, NE ranged attacks (0,84 each), grants Sharpshooter +15% Boost 3 to the user

USB level entry. Commands are lackluster though Sapphire Shot is only 3,40 so using a half cast time 2,16 isn't a massive loss. You could gain some advantage if under a water chain though.

Great.

Bartz BSB2 Woken Water: Grand Helm (V) (Helm)
Water, NE
Eight single attacks (0,83 each), grants Haste, Attach Water and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 Smash Dive 1,20CT ATK -40% for 20 seconds, ATK +50% to the user for 20 seconds
CMD2 Spellblade Torrent Four single Water, NE attacks (0,54 each)

Enwater and not much else. CMD1 can be fine if you shoved him in a mage team though. This is not the Butts relic we were looking for. The Butts relic we're looking for isn't even on the entire banner.

Decent.

Gogo BSB Deep Aqua Breath: Mimic's Rod (V) (Rod), water boost
Water, NE
Six group attacks (1,99 each), grants Haste, Attach Water and Burst Mode to the user
CMD1 Way of the Mimic Casts the last ability used by an ally (default: single, 1,50 physical), cast time -0,15 for each previous use
CMD2 Infamous Waterworks Four single Water, NE attacks (2,24 each)

Enwater. It's not impossible to have a decent use for Mimic, I used it in V 200 CM to have two Curadas to hide my garbage synergy but realistically it won't ever happen in a non CM situation. CMD2 is just a watered-down Chain Waterga. More like Meme-ic.

Notice the extremely rare +water rod which you can shove to an all around good mage like Terra and have a fire mage do the water mage's job better.

Decent.

Tidus LMR: Tidus's Armguards (X) (Bracer), EnWater, water boost

Like others, excellent.

Excellent.

Edge LMR: Edge's Cloak (IV) (Light Armor)
25% Ninja PBlink

Helps you keep Edge's blinkstacks up at the cost of 10% water damage LM1. If a man can dream, and a man can indeed dream, you could use his USB and Lit Veil to stack up blinks and have his USB chase vs Lightning weakness but we're in pretty dire straits if we have to use that strategy.

Great.

Rydia LMR: Rydia's Guise (IV) (Light Armor), water boost
35% Summon Quickcast 1

Rydia's LM1 is excellent all around summon damage +10% and I don't feel like this is much stronger than that unless your summons are capping damage. The best case scenario is proccing this and activating a SB next turn for 1,25 second cast time reduction.

Great.

Bartz LMR: Maximillian (V) (Heavy Armor)
10% triple cast

It's an upgrade to his LM1 though a bit swingy. This is on a separate "roll" than his LM2 dual cast so you could very well use a spellblade, get the LM2 additional proc and then get two additional procs from this. And hell one more if you're using a dualcast RM.

Excellent.

No garbage LMRs, hooray.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

These are really useful and fun to read, appreciate the effort. :eng101: This is getting one last pull before starting to save for the anniversary, then.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Really want that edge USB but I've already got tidus USB and Bartz usb for epic water damage so think I'll skip it this time

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
It’s a shot at Bartz LMR. I’ll roll once on any banner with that.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

Stop it youre convincing me

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

I've already got tidus OSB, ssb2, Rydia bsb2, and gogo BSB. None are all that good enough to carry the day against laid flame that I've found.

Tidus USB or edge USB would fix that, but I don't like my odds...

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
No regrets

Do I seriously need to craft and hone Dervish for optimal OK damage? I feel like any time I could use OK PUSB and Dervish I could also just use Cloud USB and Omega Drive.

bilperkins2
Nov 22, 2004

Fashion for Dogz
:france:

Only 3 dupes on the water banner for me, and none of them are the grand prizes. I also already have Butts USB and Tidus Water Chain so the big prizes are even bigger prizes for me.

pichupal
Mar 23, 2013

Poochy ain't Stupid.
I might be.
Striking out on Cloud USB and Zack Chain on the fest banners left me with a nice collection of Water stuff so I won't be risking this banner.

With Japan getting successive FFT, IX and V events coming up before our banners arrive, I'll be looking at those to see if my pulling plans change. Still deciding whether to pull once more on OK.

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I'm set enough for water that I don't think I'm pulling for anything but a chain there. IIRC Yuffie's USB also gives team pblink.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

The Moon Monster posted:

I'm set enough for water that I don't think I'm pulling for anything but a chain there. IIRC Yuffie's USB also gives team pblink.
Yuffie's USB does a bunch but pblink is not one of them. Her Gauntlet SSB is her pblink

• Locked thread