Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fathis Munk
Feb 23, 2013

??? ?
Hahaha, amazing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Metrofreak
Mar 17, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Ahahaha, the fuckin poetry.
(and as I believe I've been told, there's no gender on licenses in the rest of the country anyways, so lol)

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!
In Sweden we recently started using a gender free he/she equivalent and it’s awesome, it’s super handy when writing stuff.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
We already have a gender-neutral pronoun in English, the singular "they". It's just that a lot of people basically refuse to use it for whatever reason.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
"Are they off their meds"
*posts about freemason chemical warfare*

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

SpacePig posted:

We already have a gender-neutral pronoun in English, the singular "they". It's just that a lot of people basically refuse to use it for whatever reason.

The problem for some people is that it was taught for a longass time that "they" is incorrect grammar, and that the gender-indeterminate pronoun should ALWAYS default to "he."

The problem for a lot of people, I think, is "I've never had to think about this before and I don't want to start now."

And the rest are just garden variety "gently caress you for wanting out of the gender binary." Which is basically just a jerkier version of #2.

I doubt the resistance is going to last very long, given how quickly and naturally "they" has swept the English language. The only problem I see with it is the conjugation is a little awkward, and that's just going to solve itself in a generation or so.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Puppy Time posted:

The problem for some people is that it was taught for a longass time that "they" is incorrect grammar, and that the gender-indeterminate pronoun should ALWAYS default to "he."

The problem for a lot of people, I think, is "I've never had to think about this before and I don't want to start now."

And the rest are just garden variety "gently caress you for wanting out of the gender binary." Which is basically just a jerkier version of #2.

I doubt the resistance is going to last very long, given how quickly and naturally "they" has swept the English language. The only problem I see with it is the conjugation is a little awkward, and that's just going to solve itself in a generation or so.

There's the other side of the issue in which some non-binary folks don't want to be referred to as 'they' as well. Possibly because it could imply they were a group of people in certain contexts.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Yea my brain keeps telling me "They" is supposed to be used in a plural sense until I actually start saying it aloud.

So because I have no friends I never say it aloud so it continues to feel weird. I hate my brain.

Although I think "They" would be fine until you get a chance to ask what their preferred pronoun is, or if you learn it through context. But then again it feels like I'm being rude just having to ask them ask all.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

"They and I went to the store."

Sounds dumb and bad

UP THE BUM NO BABY
Sep 1, 2011

by Hand Knit
I'm a fan of Persian and the non-gendered او pronoun

Zesty
Jan 17, 2012

The Great Twist
I went to the store with them.

Or just use their name?

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
We could always start calling people "that one" like The Maverick.

(Do not do this.)

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

If it’s good enough for the hanar it’s good enough for me

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I teach writing, and here are some points I cover when discussing the singular "they":

For
1 - singular "They" is not a 21st-century neologism. The OED reports it as far back as the 14th century.
2 - It's respectful.
3 - It makes tidier sentences than "he or she."

Against
1 - It can cause ambiguities if used indiscriminately.
2 - If your reader is a pedantic shithead they might get annoyed.

The ambiguity thing is a much bigger problem with singular "they" than with the Oxford comma - see #A2 above: is it the pedantic shithead who is annoyed, or some third party? It can cause enough wiggle room to dumpster contracts, for example. My present advice is that writers double-check any singular "they" and adjust accordingly - "If your readers are... they...," or "Its use might annoy pedantic shitheads...," and so forth. 90% of sentences which suggest a singular "They" can be improved by adding a more specific non in place of the pronoun anyway.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bombadilillo posted:

Sounds dumb and bad

That's a bad example, because you know the preferred pronoun for the person who went to the store with you.

The Merkinman
Apr 22, 2007

I sell only quality merkins. What is a merkin you ask? Why, it's a wig for your genitals!

CommonShore posted:

That's a bad example, because you know the preferred pronoun for the person who went to the store with you.
They why ever use a pronoun? just call everyone by name.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Bombadilillo posted:

Sounds dumb and bad

"(S)he and I went to the store." might be grammatically correct, but normally in speaking you'd just say "We went to the store." or "[Name] and I went to the store."

I'm straight and cisgendered and whatnot, so I'm not speaking from authority or anything here and might be wrong, but "they" seems like an easier and more acceptable alternative to the somehow still popular but still just as offensive "it".

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

CommonShore posted:

I teach writing, and here are some points I cover when discussing the singular "they":

For
1 - singular "They" is not a 21st-century neologism. The OED reports it as far back as the 14th century.
2 - It's respectful.
3 - It makes tidier sentences than "he or she."

Against
1 - It can cause ambiguities if used indiscriminately.
2 - If your reader is a pedantic shithead they might get annoyed.

The ambiguity thing is a much bigger problem with singular "they" than with the Oxford comma - see #A2 above: is it the pedantic shithead who is annoyed, or some third party? It can cause enough wiggle room to dumpster contracts, for example. My present advice is that writers double-check any singular "they" and adjust accordingly - "If your readers are... they...," or "Its use might annoy pedantic shitheads...," and so forth. 90% of sentences which suggest a singular "They" can be improved by adding a more specific non in place of the pronoun anyway.

I just mention that Shakespeare used it.

Aramoro
Jun 1, 2012

Bombadilillo posted:

Sounds dumb and bad

"We went to the store"?

I mean how often are you saying

"He and I went to the store" anyway?

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Bombadilillo posted:

Sounds dumb and bad

Truly, you are a poet, a master of language. This reasoning is solid, and not perhaps based on your own trash mind - that in your slang-addled, radiation-riddled 21st century brain, "dumb and bad" is enough for you not to think about or do a thing.

Everyone has already pointed out the myriad of ways it can be grammatically worked out. That up there is an excuse for an advertising brand not to use a new slogan, not for an adult in regards to challenging thoughts. I get the joke, I know you're breaking it down so simply for laughs, but there's a grain of truth to the fact your thinking probably stops there, and it's painful to see. We give ourselves amazing reasons to not think through poo poo.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 18:39 on Jan 12, 2018

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Truly, you are a poet, a master of language. This reasoning is solid, and not perhaps based on your own trash mind - that in your slang-addled, radiation-riddled 21st century brain, "dumb and bad" is enough for you not to think about or do a thing.

Everyone has already pointed out the myriad of ways it can be grammatically worked out. That up there is an excuse for an advertising brand not to use a new slogan, not for an adult in regards to challenging thoughts. I get the joke, I know you're breaking it down so simply for laughs, but there's a grain of truth to the fact your thinking probably stops there, and it's painful to see. We give ourselves amazing reasons to not think through poo poo.

:goonsay:

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

CommonShore posted:

Some people prefer the pronoun "they," but those people hopefully like themselves too much to go anywhere with that poster

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

Some people prefer the pronoun "they," but those people hopefully like themselves too much to go anywhere with that poster

Thread: Just use "they"

Me: Here's an example of how that sounds weird in practice.

IP :cry: nobody wants to hang out with you.

Lol. gently caress off!

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.

Bombadilillo posted:

Lol. gently caress off!

nice meltdown, chuckles

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.
You could also just call them what they look like at first and then if corrected just say sorry and do it properly idk

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

InediblePenguin posted:

nice meltdown, chuckles

Really melting it over here! Got dang I can feel it. You got me so good. drat

THE BIG DOG DADDY posted:

You could also just call them what they look like at first and then if corrected just say sorry and do it properly idk

Serious chat. This feels like the best strategy, but some people get upset if you mess up first try. Or if you knew them as a girl and then years later on Facebook without being informed you imply that they are in fact still a girl.

Bombadilillo has a new favorite as of 18:54 on Jan 12, 2018

orange sky
May 7, 2007

Bombadilillo posted:

Really melting it over here! Got dang I can feel it. You got me so good. drat

Serious chat. This feels like the best strategy, but some people get upset if you mess up first try. Or if you knew them as a girl and then years later on Facebook without being informed you imply that they are in fact still a girl.

Well if they're offended enough not to want to be talked to anymore it's a win win situation

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for respecting people's wishes, much more so than 99% of people I know, but you don't have to be a shithead about it

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

Me: Here's an example of a usage that never happens in real life because i'm dumb.

you don't use 'they and i' in that context, you use 'we'. sorry about your dumb opinions on pronouns.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

Elizabethan Error posted:

you don't use 'they and i' in that context, you use 'we'. sorry about your dumb opinions on pronouns.

Nope

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

:goonsay:

https://twitter.com/spookperson/status/951660529596026881

Maker Of Shoes
Sep 4, 2006

AWWWW YISSSSSSSSSS
DIS IS MAH JAM!!!!!!
The best strat is to never leave your basement and only refer to people you know by their gamertags and usernames.

e: also this vvvvvvvvvvvvv

Maker Of Shoes has a new favorite as of 19:54 on Jan 12, 2018

Trig Discipline
Jun 3, 2008

Please leave the room if you think this might offend you.
Grimey Drawer
The best strat is to replace all pronouns with "this motherfucker", "that motherfucker", "these motherfuckers", and "those motherfuckers".

Count Uvula
Dec 20, 2011

---

Puppy Time posted:

As a weird as hell child I always used they instead of any gendered pronouns, but my sisters made fun of me until I stopped. Now one of them is dating a nonbinary person and corrects me every time I use a gendered pronoun for them :argh:

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bombadilillo posted:

Lol. gently caress off!

The point is that there are dozens of other ways to write that sentence (or to express that idea) which don't sound weird or ambiguous. Really, you're contriving a scenario in which

a) you went to the store with a person who doesn't like being called "he" or "she"
b) you don't want to name that person directly
c) you don't want to become part of the collective "we" with that person
d) you don't respect that person enough to use "they"
e) you have no other means of referring to that person other than a personal pronoun (e.g. "the customer")

You're essentially playing the "we need torture in case the bomb is ticking" scenario of grammar.

And honestly, I don't like "They and I went to the store" either, but I'll just find a different way to structure the paragraph.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Trig Discipline posted:

The best strat is to replace all pronouns with "this motherfucker", "that motherfucker", "these motherfuckers", and "those motherfuckers".

Problematic when referring to those not interested in sex with ladies. This fucker, That fucker, You fuckers

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Problematic when referring to those not interested in sex with ladies. This fucker, That fucker, You fuckers

Problematic when referring to asexuals who aren't interested in loving. This living creature, that living creature, you living creatures.

La Brea Carpet
Nov 22, 2007

I have no mouth and I must post
Chode is great gender neutral non-sexual designator. This chode, that chode, you chodes, etc.

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

Len posted:

Problematic when referring to asexuals who aren't interested in loving. This living creature, that living creature, you living creatures.

Im going back to just pointing and grunting

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Fart.Bleed.Repeat. posted:

Im going back to just pointing and grunting

What about the blind deaf out there?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

CommonShore posted:

The point is that there are dozens of other ways to write that sentence (or to express that idea) which don't sound weird or ambiguous. Really, you're contriving a scenario in which

a) you went to the store with a person who doesn't like being called "he" or "she"
b) you don't want to name that person directly
c) you don't want to become part of the collective "we" with that person
d) you don't respect that person enough to use "they"
e) you have no other means of referring to that person other than a personal pronoun (e.g. "the customer")

You're essentially playing the "we need torture in case the bomb is ticking" scenario of grammar.

And honestly, I don't like "They and I went to the store" either, but I'll just find a different way to structure the paragraph.

Jesus that got dark.

Friendless
Bad opinions
Torture supporter

This thread :swoon:

La Brea Carpet posted:

Chode is great gender neutral non-sexual designator. This chode, that chode, you chodes, etc.

This they chode has the right idea.

Bombadilillo has a new favorite as of 20:18 on Jan 12, 2018