Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
A sortie of 70 multi-engined planes manages to score a single kill. Such efficiency.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Are all planes worth the same number of points or does it scale by tech level or engine number or something like that?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

aphid_licker posted:

Are all planes worth the same number of points or does it scale by tech level or engine number or something like that?

It's one point per engine.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's one point per engine.

Yeah that makes sense.

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

Danann posted:

That's a lot of Lightnings. :stare:

One of the criticisms of the game is that the Lightning (and Thunderbolt/Mustang) underperform compared to their historical rates. In particular, a Japanese player who focuses on getting the Ki-84a Frank and N1K1 George early can have very competitive planes for most of the war. Part of it is also that having better airframes also tends to result in keeping pilots alive longer, so your guys get more experience/skill while denying that to the allies. I wish the land and naval components had more options in a similar way to the air industry.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

Velius posted:

One of the criticisms of the game is that the Lightning (and Thunderbolt/Mustang) underperform compared to their historical rates. In particular, a Japanese player who focuses on getting the Ki-84a Frank and N1K1 George early can have very competitive planes for most of the war. Part of it is also that having better airframes also tends to result in keeping pilots alive longer, so your guys get more experience/skill while denying that to the allies. I wish the land and naval components had more options in a similar way to the air industry.

On mobile so no link, but someone on the matrix forums did a passable workaround for ships by making a lot of the ships in the queue into a modded hulk with one-way conversion options into oher classes. Like the US cruiser hulls could convert into CA, CL, CLAA or CVL because they are of similar size and competed for the same yard space. You then got said hulls one year prior to historical date, and conversion took one year. So an allied player who's lost 6 CVs early war but few cruisers and is primarily hurting for flight decks can have more Independence class CVLs, but another player can have CLAAs everywhere etc.
I haven't tried it but it looked interesting.

Harder to do for LCUs.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014
If any of you want to know how Enewetak Atoll is today...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=autMHvj3exA

Pretty good story by our national tv channel.

E: I don't want to come across as 'that dicksnap' and I find the jokes funny, but y'all need to know that joint had the poo poo nuked out of it, and they desperatly need help from the US government to do somthing about the Cthulhu Dome breeding some sort of massive horror that will be ignored as much as climate change.

Spacman fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Jan 10, 2018

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey Hunter posted:

They land tanks, and then have to continue to try and get off the beaches.

I can already picture the iconic image for this battle. A handful of horribly emaciated Marines using the last of their strength to plant the tattered remains of an American flag upon a mountain of skulls.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

Ikasuhito posted:

I can already picture the iconic image for this battle. A handful of horribly emaciated Marines using the last of their strength to plant the tattered remains of an American flag upon a mountain of skulls.

They could justifiably go with a Khorne icon at this point

TheDemon
Dec 11, 2006

...on the plus side I'm feeling much more angry now than I expected so this totally helps me get in character.

Pinback posted:

I just looked at jaluit on google maps and my god what a horrifying place to defend. It's just a narrow ring of sand-bars. Nowhere to hide from all those naval guns :(.

Also lol I can't imagine why you'd land tanks there though.

Ha no joke the main town is 200m wide, with the lagoon on one side and the ocean on the other.

The airstrip is just a spit of land the width of two roads.

There's a handful of slightly larger islands with trees on them, no more than 500m wide at largest.

Fitting this many men on the atoll seems nearly impossible. Nevermind the fortifications, the military airstrip, and the guns.

farraday
Jan 10, 2007

Lower those eyebrows, young man. And the other one.
They’re going to have to import dirt to bury the bodies.

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

In this universe Sabaton has written both a soaring ballad and a grim-but-also-soaring dirge about jaliut

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Royalty is a continuous shitposting motion.

Pinback posted:

I just looked at jaluit on google maps and my god what a horrifying place to defend. It's just a narrow ring of sand-bars. Nowhere to hide from all those naval guns :(.

Also lol I can't imagine why you'd land tanks there though.

Now imagine there's 24,000 troops stuffed onto those sand bars and small islands. I wonder if there's any trees still standing, or if they're World War I style moonscapes.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

TheDemon posted:

Ha no joke the main town is 200m wide, with the lagoon on one side and the ocean on the other.

The airstrip is just a spit of land the width of two roads.

There's a handful of slightly larger islands with trees on them, no more than 500m wide at largest.

Fitting this many men on the atoll seems nearly impossible. Nevermind the fortifications, the military airstrip, and the guns.

You could probably fit 10,000 men on this island by having them link arms together in a circle around the beaches.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

Danann posted:

That's a lot of Lightnings. :stare:

Grey, may I recommend you cancel your air travel plans?

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets

Looks like their mainly onto unloading supplies now.

Curse your working subs.

That's now how you do ASW you morons.

Leave my planes alone!

This is an odd place, and a nice opportunity!

We continue to take out Liberators.

Take that!

Two sub hits in one day?

That was a mixed day! That's a lot more destroyed on the ground than reported in game as well!

Grrr.

aphid_licker
Jan 7, 2009

The dead on Jaluit are buried under other dead. Streets paved with holed helmets cross landscapes of rotting meat. Its land area has doubled in size from the person compost and artificial coral reefs made of skulls. Local architecture is based around dropped rifles. The garrison alternates between worrying about a portal to hell opening in the middle of that lagoon and hoping for it because clearly hell can't be any worse.

Spacman
Mar 18, 2014

aphid_licker posted:

The dead on Jaluit are buried under other dead. Streets paved with holed helmets cross landscapes of rotting meat. Its land area has doubled in size from the person compost and artificial coral reefs made of skulls. Local architecture is based around dropped rifles. The garrison alternates between worrying about a portal to hell opening in the middle of that lagoon and hoping for it because clearly hell can't be any worse.

'There HAS to be a skull throne here somewhere...'

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

The atoll is likely surrounded by pretty much every shark in the south pacific, given how many bloody chunks of human flesh have been knocked into the water. Soldiers dread being stationed on one of the sand bars that get covered by the high tide, knowing that there's worse ways to die than an enemy bullet.

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

At least they get fresh meat every day. Not even the boys in Europe can say that!

Deep Dish Fuckfest
Sep 6, 2006

Advanced
Computer Touching

Toilet Rascal
And a thriving leatherworking industry has popped up!

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

I need to get these planes out of here somehow.

As always, I hope those are tanks going down.

Same here, whatever it is, its costly for the allies.

Lanchow falls in a single day.

A good day. They have also abandoned Jaluit, pulling all their troops out overnight!

A couple of nice kills.

V for Vegas
Sep 1, 2004

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Grey Hunter posted:

Lanchow falls in a single day.

I will never ceased to be amazed by the minutiae in this game - only 144 P-66 aircraft were sent to China, and of them only a fraction saw service. But here they are, sitting in a remote base in Western China that most players will never see.

http://www.joebaugher.com/usaf_fighters/p66.html

quote:

In early 1941, Chiang Kai-Shek's Nationalist Chinese forces were being hard-pressed by Japanese air attacks, and were in desperate need of more combat aircraft. So dire was their need that they were willing to accept just about anything that had wings. On May 19, 1941, the British government agreed to release its Vanguards for supply to Chiang Kai-Shek's Nationalist Chinese forces. The 144 Vanguards were given the USAAC designation P-66 and were assigned the serial numbers 42-6832 thru 42-6975.

Following the attack on Pearl Harbor on December 7, 1941, there was complete panic on the west coast of the USA. The Japanese fleet was expected to show up off Santa Barbara at any moment. In anticipation of a Japanese attack, some forty to fifty P-66s originally intended for China were hastily impressed into USAAC service and issued to the 14th Pursuit Group for use in the emergency defense of southern California. The pilots of the 14th Pursuit Group actually liked their P-66s, and they described the P-66 as being a very good aerobatic aircraft. Test pilot Gil Clark thought that it was the best aircraft he had ever flown, being much better than the Curtiss P-36. However, the cockpit layout was rather poor, and the aircraft was not sufficiently robust for a fighter. In addition the P-66 had an disconcerting tendency to ground-loop, some 15 examples being lost to this sort of accident.

Eventually, the US west coast was regarded as being sufficiently secure that the Vanguards were eventually released from USAAC service and allowed to be transferred to China. The first shipment of P-66s left for China in February of 1942, the last aircraft being delivered by August. They went first to Karachi (at that time in India) where they were assembled, tested, and ferried to China.

The combat record of the Vanguard in China is rather undistinguished. The actual number of Vanguards which actually reached China is uncertain. Several were lost during tests in India and others were lost while enroute to China. Others remained unairworthy at Karachi. About twelve Vanguards were on station at Kunming with the 7th Fighter Squadron of the 23rd Fighter Group, but they saw little use. Two Chinese squadrons based at An-Su saw combat action with the Vanguard from August 1943 onward. Many Vanguards were destroyed on the ground during Japanese attacks. The Vanguard had an unfortunate resemblance to the Japanese Nakajima Ki-43 *Oscar* and Nakajima Ki-44 *Tojo*, and several Vanguards were shot down by Chinese forces by mistake.

Some Vanguards were placed in caves for storage at Chungking for use in the upcoming civil war against Mao's Communists. Many were reported still in their crates as late as 1947. I am uncertain if they actually saw any service during the civil war. It is possible that there are some Vanguards in China STILL sitting in their crates in pristine condition. Would be an astounding discovery if this were actually the case!

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
So, are you going to reinforce Jaluit further or have any plans for the moment there to extend the fortifications at all? ALso not bad day in the sinkings

OpenlyEvilJello
Dec 28, 2009

11 January 1944

Kuma, one of the small, fast cruisers built for the IJN around the end of WWI, sinks after taking two torpedoes from the submarine HMS Tally-Ho off Penang. The wreck is reported to be nearly gone now as a result of illegal salvage operations.

Proust Malone
Apr 4, 2008

OpenlyEvilJello posted:

11 January 1944

the submarine HMS [i]Tally-Ho

Oh come the gently caress on Royal Navy...

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
The random atoll becoming a real island (made of corpses) gives me flashbacks to the Allied playthrough. Which atoll was it back then?

CeeJee
Dec 4, 2001
Oven Wrangler

frankenfreak posted:

The random atoll becoming a real island (made of corpses) gives me flashbacks to the Allied playthrough. Which atoll was it back then?

There was also a random atoll in another Japanese playthrough where the Japanese landing was blown to bits by a full strength tank company when there were just a few of those units in the whole US army.

Caconym
Feb 12, 2013

frankenfreak posted:

Eniwetok, under witch in R'lyeh Cthulhu dreams.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Does Jaliut actually have strategic value or is it just a prestige thing for the Allied Ai now? Why wouldn't the US just bombard it until there's nothing left?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Fader Movitz posted:

Does Jaliut actually have strategic value or is it just a prestige thing for the Allied Ai now? Why wouldn't the US just bombard it until there's nothing left?

The Allied AI doesn't really have the ability to execute broader strategic plans. It runs on a script with a modicum of adaptability.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Caconym posted:

Eniwetok, under witch in R'lyeh Cthulhu dreams.

I keep meaning to do a Call of Cthulhu game to explore this.

Then again, I'm also wondering about doing another Goon vs good table top wargame. I have problems.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
I would think that someone out there has developed a "Sherman tanks vs Lovecraftian monstrosities" tabletop wargame.

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

I would think that someone out there has developed a "Sherman tanks vs Lovecraftian monstrosities" tabletop wargame.

I think there was an old game on the forums that was basically 'tanks vs magic invaders from another dimension' in turn based strategy.

habeasdorkus
Nov 3, 2013

Are there any cold war grog games? Seems like that could be a fertile field for a LP. We could even have SOVIET RESPONSE.

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

There's flashpoint campaigns, but I don't own it.

bibliosabreur
Oct 21, 2017

wedgekree posted:

I think there was an old game on the forums that was basically 'tanks vs magic invaders from another dimension' in turn based strategy.

Spellcross is the one you're thinking of.

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Open General has a mod that's "tanks vs. Spa e invaders" called XenoGeneral. P. Good imo.

Ikasuhito
Sep 29, 2013

Haram as Fuck.

Grey Hunter posted:

A good day. They have also abandoned Jaluit, pulling all their troops out overnight!

Oh no! This is a disaster, what will our men eat now?:ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 DONG HORSE
May 22, 2008

I'd like to thank Satan for everything he's done for this organization

Grey Hunter posted:

I keep meaning to do a Call of Cthulhu game to explore this.

Then again, I'm also wondering about doing another Goon vs good table top wargame. I have problems.

How about a goon vs goon LP of WITP where there is a goon in command of each branch and nation :psyboom: