Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009
I wish I knew how to do anything with Pathology. The last few times I've tried resulted in me wasting all of the samples that are provided at the start of the round, wasting all of the samples I could afford to buy from D.O.C., and then just loving off to do something else or quitting.

The UI for pathology is implemented in such a way that is very easy to gently caress up. Even following a guide I manage to destroy samples or something I'm working on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

TheDK posted:

I wish I knew how to do anything with Pathology. The last few times I've tried resulted in me wasting all of the samples that are provided at the start of the round, wasting all of the samples I could afford to buy from D.O.C., and then just loving off to do something else or quitting.

The UI for pathology is implemented in such a way that is very easy to gently caress up. Even following a guide I manage to destroy samples or something I'm working on.

I rarely see anyone even attempt this or the chemmaster. Seems hard.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

soy posted:

I rarely see anyone even attempt this or the chemmaster. Seems hard.

the chemmaster takes a lot of planning in advance before using it if you're trying to make chems with a lot of reagents. i've got a setup for voltagen that can mass produce a good amount, but still isn't perfect because it leaves a lot of reagents wasted. i've got no idea where in the brainfuck code i'm going wrong and i don't feel like fixing it because it's good enough :v:

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Dieting Hippo posted:

the chemmaster takes a lot of planning in advance before using it if you're trying to make chems with a lot of reagents. i've got a setup for voltagen that can mass produce a good amount, but still isn't perfect because it leaves a lot of reagents wasted. i've got no idea where in the brainfuck code i'm going wrong and i don't feel like fixing it because it's good enough :v:

Do you have to bring regs to that machine or does it just make stuff from nothing?

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004
My only direct admin interaction was SpyGuy helping me out a couple of years ago because a default law AI player was endlessly stun turreting and taunting me, when I was the dang Chief Engineer. Welp thats my goonstation admin story.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
Protip for dealing with the AI's stun turrets: use the stand/rest trick to move around. You can't be stunned while laying down so wait until they fire before clicking stand and then slide across the floor and hit rest again to remain laying down. This isn't going to help if the turrets are set the lethal, though. I think the lasers will still hit you.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

soy posted:

Do you have to bring regs to that machine or does it just make stuff from nothing?

you have to bring reagents to the machine. you get 10 slots to put beakers (small or large) in, with or without reagents in them. you then use the magic of brainfuck to mix the reagents using the available beakers.

let's say you want to make cryoxadone, that uses a lot of dispenser chems and welding fuel. the beakers you'll put in the slots are:

1. radium
2. chlorine
3. plasma
4. water
5. nitrogen
6. oxygen
7. carbon
8. hydrogen
9. welding fuel
10. empty beaker

if you use all large beakers and fill them with reagents, you'll be able to mix beakers 1-9 into beaker 10 and fill it twice-over (180u, two runs) with cryoxadone before needing to refill the plasma. the other chems will last about 10 runs before needing to be refilled.

that's with a fairly simple to make chem as far as chem recipes go. when you've got others that require many precursor chems that share similar chem dispenser reagents and specific mixing orders, you can use a buffer beaker to store that precursor and then mix the precursor chem into your final product. it's literally reagent mixing automation, but the scale at which you can produce dangerous chems is massive and gives you some free time to do other things while it's mixing.

the most painful part is writing the brainfuck code to take a specific amount of reagents from a specific slot and dump it into another specific slot. if you have your code taking reagents from the wrong beaker because you put it in the wrong slot or forgot a +/- in your string, your whole operation goes to poo poo.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

Darkman Fanpage posted:

i’ve literally never had a problem with the goonstation admins.

They're decent enough these days but there are a lot of really loving bad admins in the history of this server. Some legendary ones were before my time and I was really only the direct target of bad adminry one time but there was plenty of it going around. There was a rather long period of time where playing security felt less like trying to actually be a security officer and more like trying to avoid overstepping the poorly defined and seemingly arbitrary boundaries in a way that would offend whatever invisible deity was currently stalking you. Admins would have favourite players to whom the rules only sort of applied. This I know for a fact because to at least 1 admin I was(and this was explicitly stated to me) one of these players and I got away with doing basically whatever I wanted so long as I only occasionally murdered people and, even in the event that I would just murder a guy in cold blood, I would receive only a gentle warning. If you weren't one of these golden players to any of the currently present admins then if you committed any similar antics or fought back too robustly against one of the favoured players as he beat you unconscious with a blunt object to steal all of your poo poo they would come down on you like a tonne of bricks. This was usually explained as being the "it's okay if it's funny" rule but a lot of the time, what the favourites were doing was not particularly funny.

On a similar note, admins would frequently blow up rounds and gently caress with people. Sometimes this was actually hilarious and produced some of people's favourite rounds, because the admins who did it were genuinely funny people who actually put effort into making poo poo entertaining. Other times, if you had, say, rolled traitor for the first time in 2 months and an admin decided it would be funny to teleport everyone into the crusher, it could be difficult to find the humour. This was back before the antag token system so there was no real recourse when this happened other than to hope the admin stuck around long enough for the next round to start so you could beg them to make you traitor again. At one point an admin was deadminned for doing gimmicks too often and I remember thinking at the time, though the exact circumstances have slipped my minds, that I had actually really enjoyed their gimmick rounds and other people seem to have been engaged with them, too, whereas the admins doing the removal mostly just seemed to do poo poo like get drunk and mash the "butt explosion" command until everyone died and then insult people who complained about it. I can also remember a particular admin who I believe was never deadminned(or if so, only for inactivity), who would routinely force roll HoS and then just be unbelievably awful at it and basically go out of their way to do everything anyone else would have been banned immediately for doing. This weird combination of strict yet badly explained rules which were constantly ignored and broken by the admins and people they liked made them game seem actively hostile to new players, which I think might go a ways to explain the declining server population. It turned new players off. It almost turned me off when I started playing. SS13 is already a clunky, dense, and extremely complicated game. It needed all the help it could get in terms of player acquisition. Now, this has all improved drastically, partly through what I understand to be active efforts by the current admins and partly just because most of the really bad admins got bored and hosed off on their own. But for a long period of time, when people bitched about goon admins being bad, they had a point.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Name names!!!

I've never really had problems with the admins but a lot of them from a couple of years back kind of blur together in my head. Wonk was usually good at cracking down on lovely ones

Elusif
Jun 9, 2008

Always send in reverse psychology prayers at all times. It makes the admins stop briefly to scream at you which might tip you off to which player in the round is an admin.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
i think the only admin i ever had any sort of problem with was one of those coders that came out of nowhere. like they weren’t part of the community so i had no idea who they were because i’d never played a round with them before. i think jasmine was one. i know most of them didn't stick around for long because they were maladjusted assholes.

but yes like cock hero said in their huge post there have been lovely admins on goonstation throughout its history. like the coder that would hide weapon caches on the map and then go on killing sprees.

Darkman Fanpage fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 12, 2018

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

Admins would have favourite players to whom the rules only sort of applied. This I know for a fact because to at least 1 admin I was(and this was explicitly stated to me) one of these players and I got away with doing basically whatever I wanted so long as I only occasionally murdered people and, even in the event that I would just murder a guy in cold blood, I would receive only a gentle warning. If you weren't one of these golden players to any of the currently present admins then if you committed any similar antics or fought back too robustly against one of the favoured players as he beat you unconscious with a blunt object to steal all of your poo poo they would come down on you like a tonne of bricks. This was usually explained as being the "it's okay if it's funny" rule but a lot of the time, what the favourites were doing was not particularly funny.

There was a time where it felt like every time I managed to roll an atagonist it would also be a "Jay Wolff gets an admin toy" round and I'd end up getting killed by him using some overpowered item. My "favorite" moment was when I was trying to sneak into science, this was when the entrance to science had a clear door leading into a hallway into another clear door into science proper. There was a locker in this hallway, someone left science and I ran in and hid in the locker, waiting for someone to open the other door. Then Jay Wolff struts outside the hallway with some power gloves that can arc electricity and gib people. Somehow he knew I was in the locker and arced electricity through the door, through the locker and gibbing me, I assume he was just clicking on the power button and it listed my name as a target. Thats when I decided to not touch goonstation anymore.

Leal fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Jan 12, 2018

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Skaw posted:

My only direct admin interaction was SpyGuy helping me out a couple of years ago because a default law AI player was endlessly stun turreting and taunting me, when I was the dang Chief Engineer. Welp thats my goonstation admin story.

I was a solo nukeop on a low population round and lost the bomb when my pod got blown up. It got thrown into the debris field and I ended up marooned in the ghost drone factory. I prayed and an admin dropped a jetpack+breath mask and directed me to the bomb so I could continue the round. Problem solved.

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Leal posted:

There was a time where it felt like every time I managed to roll an atagonist it would also be a "Jay Wolff gets an admin toy" round and I'd end up getting killed by him using some overpowered item. My "favorite" moment was when I was trying to sneak into science, this was when the entrance to science had a clear door leading into a hallway into another clear door into science proper. There was a locker in this hallway, someone left science and I ran in and hid in the locker, waiting for someone to open the other door. Then Jay Wolff struts outside the hallway with some power gloves that can arc electricity and gib people. Somehow he knew I was in the locker and arced electricity through the door, through the locker and gibbing me, I assume he was just clicking on the power button and it listed my name as a target. Thats when I decided to not touch goonstation anymore.
Yeah but thats not an admin toy, it's a traitor item for the chief engineer. Of course an admin could have given him them but you never know.

Once dions tried to send me a whisper but misclicked and dissolved me into a puddle of spiders. He made up for it by respawning me as macho man though!

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Yeah there's like a 90% chance that was nothing to do with admins and it was just Jay Wolff sneezing and randomly slapping a button on the keyboard, instantly killing the three closest people

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

The one time I managed to beat Jay in a fight I had a wrestling belt (not long after they were added) and I completely accidentally kicked him into a vending machine on the bridge, which collapsed and crushed him, and an admin sent me a whisper congratulating me

(I ran away before making sure he was dead and he later mailed me a dying monkey which turned out to be full of black powder and exploded, obliterating me and my entire room. I don't know how he timed this.)

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

The one time I managed to beat Jay in a fight I had a wrestling belt (not long after they were added) and I completely accidentally kicked him into a vending machine on the bridge, which collapsed and crushed him, and an admin sent me a whisper congratulating me

(I ran away before making sure he was dead and he later mailed me a dying monkey which turned out to be full of black powder and exploded, obliterating me and my entire room. I don't know how he timed this.)

this loving game

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

lambskin posted:

Yeah but thats not an admin toy, it's a traitor item for the chief engineer. Of course an admin could have given him them but you never know.

I want to say this was when the item was being tested, iirc he was a greysuit at the time. I'm pretty positive it wasn't actually in the game at that point, I've never heard of it.

Leal fucked around with this message at 19:16 on Jan 12, 2018

lambskin
Dec 27, 2009

I THINK I AM THE PINNACLE OF HUMOR. WAIT HANG ON I HAVE TO GO POUR MILK INTO MY GAPING ASSHOLE!

Leal posted:

I want to say this was when the item was being tested, iirc he was a greysuit at the time.

Ah that could have been the case then.

I remember popecrunch once revived me after I had almost robusted a fully armed nuke op with a spear. I don't think I was his "favourite" or anything, he just seemed impressed.

Bozart
Oct 28, 2006

Give me the finger.
Why do I have to read about this in the osha thread instead of the ss13 thread

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

...is that a laser bong made out of a microscope

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
OMFG laser bong

don't show me this, I will end up with thousands of dollars of laser parts on my already overflowing hobby bench

I have always been disappointed with the lack of poo poo you can do with weed like there needs to be a reasonable way to pump weed smoke into the atmospherics stuff and make everyone stoned

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you can take the time to kill the AI, you can take the time to subvert them to aid your mischief and murder.

If you can't think of anything that actively helps you, "Ignore all crime" or "only speak like R2D2" neutralizes the AI as easily as "kill yourself"

"Ignore all real crime, make up and report a fake crimes and antagonists every few minutes" is funny and highly productive since reports of real crimes will probably be lost under the deluge of "Station Crime Alert: Head of Security seen Littering in Botany by Reputable Sources!" and "A Wizard has requested customer service in Layaway."

Edit: Heck, if you're the Captain, go give the AI a shady and stupid but fairly obvious fourth law so you can watch to see if and when it changes. Why not, right?

It's me, I'm the masochist who likes playing AI. Give me a stupid gimmick to do and I will love you all round long.

PoptartsNinja fucked around with this message at 20:59 on Jan 12, 2018

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

As a funny joke, if you manage to get into the AI control room as a non-traitor, give it an innocuous law that it isn't allowed to state under any circumstances and watch people trip over themselves in their rush to reset the rogue AI. Bonus points if the law specifies that you, specifically, aren't human and need to be killed so that when they burst in to reset it they find your smoking corpse in the foyer and spend like 10 minutes planning their assault on the totally harmless AI as it tries to convince them that everything's fine.

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Yeah there's like a 90% chance that was nothing to do with admins and it was just Jay Wolff sneezing and randomly slapping a button on the keyboard, instantly killing the three closest people
I hope to God nobody gives Jay Wolff anything ever. I wouldn't spawn him a perfectly ordinary hamburger for fear he'd somehow murder half the station with it. I wouldn't fill his bloodstream with ants and non-contagious gibbis at his request, because he'd definitely be up to something to even ask.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Who is Jay Wolff

PopeCrunch
Feb 13, 2004

internets

The Shortest Path posted:

Who is Jay Wolff

a loving terrorist

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Defeating Jay Wolff through explosions and claiming his bee-striped hair as my own is the greatest trophy in the game.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

The Shortest Path posted:

Who is Jay Wolff

A force of nature.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I'm pretty sure the only reason Jay Wolff doesn't have the old Lord Doom law applied to them is because it would mean everyone would die in every round by their hands.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I got an all-access ID as a mime and gave the AI a law to chastise people who were being too loud.

All round, the AI told people who yelled over the radio that their voices exceeded safe limits or that explosions in medbay needed to be quiet or they’d call security. Fun round and fun AI. The law lasted all round despite people getting the AI to state it like 15 minutes in.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Leal posted:

This shits common on all servers though. You get these community 'icons' trying to be George Melons or whatever, they mostly spend their time rolling for antag and going braindead as assistants and than their traitor rounds begging the admins for tc trades because its the only way to make their round memorable.

There's a particular special snowflake on /tg/station who goes by Zoey Webb who is ruthless for it. I saw her get the loving blood-crawl wizard spell thing they have over there once it was gross.

But hey this Jay Wolfe guy sounds really interesting and cool.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Motherfucker posted:

The difference is he doesn't go out of his way to engineer "special" rounds. Jay Wolff just goes through rounds like a normal player, and if someone happens to try to murder him then what follows is their own fault.

Mimesweeper
Mar 11, 2009

Smellrose

cock hero flux posted:

They're decent enough these days but there are a lot of really loving bad admins in the history of this server. Some legendary ones were before my time and I was really only the direct target of bad adminry one time but there was plenty of it going around. There was a rather long period of time where playing security felt less like trying to actually be a security officer and more like trying to avoid overstepping the poorly defined and seemingly arbitrary boundaries in a way that would offend whatever invisible deity was currently stalking you. Admins would have favourite players to whom the rules only sort of applied. This I know for a fact because to at least 1 admin I was(and this was explicitly stated to me) one of these players and I got away with doing basically whatever I wanted so long as I only occasionally murdered people and, even in the event that I would just murder a guy in cold blood, I would receive only a gentle warning. If you weren't one of these golden players to any of the currently present admins then if you committed any similar antics or fought back too robustly against one of the favoured players as he beat you unconscious with a blunt object to steal all of your poo poo they would come down on you like a tonne of bricks. This was usually explained as being the "it's okay if it's funny" rule but a lot of the time, what the favourites were doing was not particularly funny.

On a similar note, admins would frequently blow up rounds and gently caress with people. Sometimes this was actually hilarious and produced some of people's favourite rounds, because the admins who did it were genuinely funny people who actually put effort into making poo poo entertaining. Other times, if you had, say, rolled traitor for the first time in 2 months and an admin decided it would be funny to teleport everyone into the crusher, it could be difficult to find the humour. This was back before the antag token system so there was no real recourse when this happened other than to hope the admin stuck around long enough for the next round to start so you could beg them to make you traitor again. At one point an admin was deadminned for doing gimmicks too often and I remember thinking at the time, though the exact circumstances have slipped my minds, that I had actually really enjoyed their gimmick rounds and other people seem to have been engaged with them, too, whereas the admins doing the removal mostly just seemed to do poo poo like get drunk and mash the "butt explosion" command until everyone died and then insult people who complained about it. I can also remember a particular admin who I believe was never deadminned(or if so, only for inactivity), who would routinely force roll HoS and then just be unbelievably awful at it and basically go out of their way to do everything anyone else would have been banned immediately for doing. This weird combination of strict yet badly explained rules which were constantly ignored and broken by the admins and people they liked made them game seem actively hostile to new players, which I think might go a ways to explain the declining server population. It turned new players off. It almost turned me off when I started playing. SS13 is already a clunky, dense, and extremely complicated game. It needed all the help it could get in terms of player acquisition. Now, this has all improved drastically, partly through what I understand to be active efforts by the current admins and partly just because most of the really bad admins got bored and hosed off on their own. But for a long period of time, when people bitched about goon admins being bad, they had a point.

this is a really good post, and its true, and there was a lot of effort by several people to clean things up. glad to hear it's worked.

Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I once placed a bounty on Jay Wolff's butt and someone brought it to me and I made it into a lag-inducing fractal cake and when Jaw Wolff came to my kitchen demanding his butt back I showed him my Jay Wolff's butt cake and he screamed. Well, that's my story

e: I think that's the same round I just missed the shuttle and, in rage and desperation, hurled my fractal cake at the window just before it left, resulting in a 30-second lag across the entire server while the text buffer overflowed with red followed by a single, solitary "what the gently caress was that" in OOC

Angry Diplomat fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Jan 13, 2018

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Motherfucker posted:

Nah he's just a rampage bot like Nerdy Collins, people who 100% of the time without fail try to murder the entire station whenever they pull antagonist and rarely fail at it because they're too robust. Jay is marginally more creative than Nerdy but they're both pretty boring when they get Traitor because it guarantees an hourlong rampage.

EDIT: The main difference also is Jay likes to collect bodies and drag them along with him so that nobody can borg/revive them, which is a real great way to make the round fun for everyone. :thumbsup: If he ever begged for TCs (which I don't think he's ever done), I would probably delete all his traitor gear on principle. And he'd still rampage.

Nakar fucked around with this message at 20:27 on Jan 13, 2018

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Jesus is Nerdy Collins still doing that, I thought he was just in that phase we all went through

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Never unrderstood the point of rampages. I always went for the escape alone attempts because killing everyone trying to enter the escape shuttle made more sense to me in a time effiency kind of way. Like why run around the station chasing people when you can just have everyone come to one point and kill them then?

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

Lunchmeat Larry posted:

Jesus is Nerdy Collins still doing that, I thought he was just in that phase we all went through
He'll occasionally knock it off (sometimes by not playing :v: ) but he always comes back to it eventually. He was also one of the bigger offenders of the "roll Staff Assistant, go on rampage if you get traitor, log out/AFK if you don't" thing until we started yelling at people for that. Not that it's really a big deal if he isn't participating in a round.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

auzdark
Aug 29, 2005

Mercy is the cry of the soul that stirred,
Mercy is the cry and it's never heard.
When I used to get traitor, I'd always hang out for about 30mins doing my actual job before moving to the objectives... More often than not my targets were already dead, so it would be just fun times trying to sabotage the station...