Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

I only wish that R2 got more stuff to do in the film. Just like prop him up next to a wall o sparks in the Falcon or something. Although he is getting too old for this kind of poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Dirk the Average posted:

If droids can vote, what stops me from making scads of ultra-loyal droids with the minimum of sapience required by law to stack the vote in my favor? Hell, I can just keep them on racks and only activate them when it's time to vote. I can make them happy to and want to participate in that process.

The dictatorship of the robotariat.

Honestly though this is an incredibly succinct illustration of the point that liberal democracy demands that slavery be rendered invisible.

Jewel Repetition
Dec 24, 2012

Ask me about Briar Rose and Chicken Chaser.

Dirk the Average posted:

There is a fundamental difference between a consumer commodity and a person. Droids are built, manufactured, and programmed to specifications. They develop quirks, personalities, feelings, etc., but in the end, they are machines.

There's a whole spectrum of machinery too - people aren't calling the use of a fire control computer slavery, or the use of any vehicle or starship slavery. At what point does the machine become complex enough to gain rights?

What rights can they have?

If droids can vote, what stops me from making scads of ultra-loyal droids with the minimum of sapience required by law to stack the vote in my favor? Hell, I can just keep them on racks and only activate them when it's time to vote. I can make them happy to and want to participate in that process.

If I am a robotics manufacturer, I have no reason to create droids that are free citizens. I have created them, they have been manufactured, they are mine (just as if my factory had been producing any other commodity). If I were required to free them, I'd just make machines further down the sapience ladder that are allowed to be controlled and used. Machines like a fire control computer.

This is fundamentally different than chattel slavery. Slaves were not built on an assembly line to a specification. Every aspect of their being was not designed and molded to precisely what their masters wanted. They were living people who deserved freedom. Droids were created by someone with a CAD program and some off the shelf components so that a task could be automated. We know exactly who created them, why they were created, and what their purpose is.

The first artificial sapients aren't gonna be hard laborers, that would be pointless. They're gonna be for simulation games where we want as realistic of NPCs as possible. Or just created because someone wanted to prove they could. Either way, they aren't gonna be used to stack votes because there'll be regulations on how many can be produced, just like there'll be regulations on how many babies can be conceived.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Black "people" simply aren't human. If they were, it would be unthinkable that we let the police basically murder them for fun. That's scary to think about, so it isn't true.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

There is a fundamental difference between a consumer commodity and a person. Droids are built, manufactured, and programmed to specifications. They develop quirks, personalities, feelings, etc., but in the end, they are machines.

you must be careful, meatbag

Dirk the Average posted:

There's a whole spectrum of machinery too - people aren't calling the use of a fire control computer slavery, or the use of any vehicle or starship slavery. At what point does the machine become complex enough to gain rights?

artoo is regularly described as "talking" to computer systems like falcon and cloud city. it is my interpretation that they are people too, and just as much slaves as artoo is.

Dirk the Average posted:

the same as any person, i reckon

Dirk the Average posted:

If I am a robotics manufacturer, I have no reason to create droids that are free citizens. I have created them, they have been manufactured, they are mine (just as if my factory had been producing any other commodity). If I were required to free them, I'd just make machines further down the sapience ladder that are allowed to be controlled and used. Machines like a fire control computer.

i mean you're describing a fundamental problem with capitalism, not with droids. it is funny that you position yourself as the ruthless slaver who builds his own slaves, that's pretty revealing.

Dirk the Average posted:

This is fundamentally different than chattel slavery. Slaves were not built on an assembly line to a specification. Every aspect of their being was not designed and molded to precisely what their masters wanted. They were living people who deserved freedom. Droids were created by someone with a CAD program and some off the shelf components so that a task could be automated. We know exactly who created them, why they were created, and what their purpose is.

you are fundamentally closed off to other modes of existence besides your own. and failing to see the parallels between those modes. the movies are telling you something and you are rejecting it. you are a product of a design as well, just one more obfuscated than the droids. that does not make your existence and worth any less than theirs

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Dirk the Average posted:

Interestingly enough, this is what the Quiverfull movement is about, creating more children who will become conservative voters. This is why the Duggars have 19 kids.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Dirk, do you watch Black Mirror and just sit there saying "Yep, this is fine"

Serf
May 5, 2011

the idea that the ultra-wealthy would need to create people to vote for their interests rather than just spending way less money on swaying public opinion is just mind-boggling

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Serf posted:

the idea that the ultra-wealthy would need to create people to vote for their interests rather than just spending way less money on swaying public opinion is just mind-boggling

Not implausible though

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
I like the implication that the solution to the hypothetical threat of rich people manufacturing android voters is to refuse enfrachisement for androids, as opposed to, you know, stopping rich people from manufacturing brainwashed androids.

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009
I mostly liked TLJ, but one thing that keeps annoying me about these new ones is how humans are able to fully understand BB8's beeps. All the Lucas led movies were very consistent about nobody ever understanding Artoo (or other astromechs) directly without getting a translation, either through text or Threepio. I'd allow for the possibility that BB8 - not being a regular old astromech - is just talking a different droid language that's actually legible, but then TLJ appeared to have Luke understanding Artoo beyond just being able to read his mood and attitude.

I feel like this change actually contributes to how Threepio is having so much less to do in these new movies.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Hansen85 posted:

I mostly liked TLJ, but one thing that keeps annoying me about these new ones is how humans are able to fully understand BB8's beeps. All the Lucas led movies were very consistent about nobody ever understanding Artoo (or other astromechs) directly without getting a translation, either through text or Threepio. I'd allow for the possibility that BB8 - not being a regular old astromech - is just talking a different droid language that's actually legible, but then TLJ appeared to have Luke understanding Artoo beyond just being able to read his mood and attitude.

I feel like this change actually contributes to how Threepio is having so much less to do in these new movies.

iirc anakin can understand artoo just fine in revenge of the sith, but i could be wrong

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Cool that Jared Leto's character from Blade Runner 2049 is posting ITT.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.
To compare "android liberation" to the emancipation of the slaves is the most racist, bougie thing I can think of, and an insult to all those who suffered and died.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Finn I'm pretty sure explicitly can't understand BB-8 in TFA

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy

CountFosco posted:

To compare "android liberation" to the emancipation of the slaves is the most racist, bougie thing I can think of, and an insult to all those who suffered and died.

A bit too late for that take.

Serf
May 5, 2011

CountFosco posted:

i don't think star wars has androids in it tho

Hansen85
Nov 11, 2009

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Finn I'm pretty sure explicitly can't understand BB-8 in TFA

Yeah, but Rey and Poe do.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

CountFosco posted:

To compare "android liberation" to the emancipation of the slaves
Do you know the origin of the word "robot?"

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Jeb! Repetition posted:

The first artificial sapients aren't gonna be hard laborers, that would be pointless. They're gonna be for simulation games where we want as realistic of NPCs as possible. Or just created because someone wanted to prove they could. Either way, they aren't gonna be used to stack votes because there'll be regulations on how many can be produced, just like there'll be regulations on how many babies can be conceived.

Right, but in the Star Wars universe, they are mass produced and are simple enough that a child can put them together out of spare parts.

Serf posted:

i mean you're describing a fundamental problem with capitalism, not with droids. it is funny that you position yourself as the ruthless slaver who builds his own slaves, that's pretty revealing.

There are literally companies in the Star Wars universe that do this. Droids don't appear out of thin air; they are mass produced and manufactured to specifications.

Serf posted:

the same as any person, i reckon

Animals have rights. People have rights. What rights should droids have? Voting is problematic, as I described. Let me outline a couple of scenarios:

Scenario 1:
A child puts together a droid as a science project. Maybe he or she picks up parts from a scrapyard, maybe they're purchased directly, whatever. They gently caress up the process and connect something incorrectly which activates it early and damages the droid. The droid now in unimaginable pain and unable to communicate that fact. The child leaves to go do something else and will return to the project later.

Were crimes committed here? Should there be some sort of recompense? The droid literally owes its existence to the child, yet its existence has been nothing but agony. What is the ethical thing to do?

Scenario 2:

An engineer is working on testing medical droid software. This software will potentially be used to operate on billions of sapient beings, so getting every procedure right is critical. He or she has a testing rig set up that installs the new software onto blank droid hardware, runs the routine, then wipes the hardware (if the droid learns skills between tests, that does not prove that the software is safe - the wiping step is essential). This is repeated hundreds or thousands of times throughout development (and would be true for virtually any and all droid software packages).

Are there ethical violations here? A sentient being is being created and wiped every time this experiment is run. At the same time, a lack of testing will kill billions of sapient beings.

Medical testing is something that we tackle in society today. Animal testing is a conundrum. It saves human lives. It also extinguishes the life of an animal, and often does so in a way that will cause the animal to suffer (the suffering is minimized as much as possible with drugs and treatment, but unnecessary medical procedures are traumatic). It is something that we, as a society, have decided that is necessary.

That's where I'm at on droids. They're creations that are built and manufactured at the whims of other beings to the specifications of those beings for purposes chosen by those beings. They are a permanent underclass, and their ubiquitous presence and ease of construction more or less ensures that they do not have rights in the same way that other beings have. I don't like that that's where I am on them, but I find it incredibly hard to look at something that has been literally created (not born, not modified, literally built from the ground up, with every piece of circuitry and machinery placed specifically in place) and see it as anything other than property.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Dirk the Average posted:

There are literally companies in the Star Wars universe that do this. Droids don't appear out of thin air; they are mass produced and manufactured to specifications.

people also do not appear out of thin air

Dirk the Average posted:

Animals have rights. People have rights. What rights should droids have? Voting is problematic, as I described. Let me outline a couple of scenarios:

Scenario 1:
A child puts together a droid as a science project. Maybe he or she picks up parts from a scrapyard, maybe they're purchased directly, whatever. They gently caress up the process and connect something incorrectly which activates it early and damages the droid. The droid now in unimaginable pain and unable to communicate that fact. The child leaves to go do something else and will return to the project later.

Were crimes committed here? Should there be some sort of recompense? The droid literally owes its existence to the child, yet its existence has been nothing but agony. What is the ethical thing to do?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_9JPF3pn5O4

Dirk the Average posted:

That's where I'm at on droids. They're creations that are built and manufactured at the whims of other beings to the specifications of those beings for purposes chosen by those beings. They are a permanent underclass, and their ubiquitous presence and ease of construction more or less ensures that they do not have rights in the same way that other beings have. I don't like that that's where I am on them, but I find it incredibly hard to look at something that has been literally created (not born, not modified, literally built from the ground up, with every piece of circuitry and machinery placed specifically in place) and see it as anything other than property.

you really have to understand the method by which a person comes into existence is not important. they are a person, regardless of how they came to be. droids are nothing like robots or androids, because these issues you are raising are not something that they have to deal with. there is no "struggle" over their personhood. they just are people already, and they are enslaved. this is shown time and time again to be unjust and immoral. the movie is telling you something and you are rejecting it

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

I don't like that that's where I am on them, but I find it incredibly hard to look at something that has been literally created (not born, not modified, literally built from the ground up, with every piece of circuitry and machinery placed specifically in place) and see it as anything other than property.

I'm not quite understanding why you feel being born is inherently superior to being made. I feel like a lot of your attitude here is not based on robots that are actually sentient, which I think would take care of a lot of the issues you're having. I can understand that it's hard to wrap your head completely around the idea of a human creating something that has no puppet strings attached, because we do not have the technology to do that yet and so there's nothing concrete to imagine.

Not so in Star Wars, in Star Wars they are the same as people and we're shown that again and again.

Basebf555 fucked around with this message at 21:06 on Jan 12, 2018

Serf
May 5, 2011

there's also a lot of assumptions in these posts like some sort of horrific "sapience ladder"

it seems you are assuming that the people of the star wars universe can manufacture robots, but this is never seen in the films. it would appear that they can only make sapient droids, and do not know how to make something lower on this "sapience ladder"

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

The Death Star is a droid right? I don't think I got an answer to that question. It fucks and talks to R2 though (does that mean when the techs were flipping those switches to get it to fire they were jerking it off?) so I guess so.

Star Wars is weird.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

It has a computer system but it's not autonomous in any way. It's controlled and maintained by thousands

Artoo isn't loving it any more than your phone is loving your laptop when you charge it

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

RBA Starblade posted:

The Death Star is a droid right? I don't think I got an answer to that question. It fucks and talks to R2 though (does that mean when the techs were flipping those switches to get it to fire they were jerking it off?) so I guess so.

Star Wars is weird.

Probably. Cloud City and the Millenium Falcon are both alive, why not a battle moon?

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Basebf555 posted:

I'm not quite understanding why you feel being born is inherently superior to being made. I feel like a lot of your attitude here is not based on robots that are actually sentient, which I think would take care of a lot of the issues you're having. I can understand that it's hard to wrap your head completely around the idea of a human creating something that has no puppet strings attached, because we do not have the technology to do that yet and so there's nothing concrete to imagine.

Not so in Star Wars, in Star Wars they are the same as people and we're shown that again and again.

I suppose that's the core of it. I make, build, and design things both for a living and as a hobby. It's somewhat unimaginable for me to build something and then not have any strings attached to it. I don't see something being born as superior so much as I see the act of building something as granting ownership of the thing being built.

Serf posted:

there's also a lot of assumptions in these posts like some sort of horrific "sapience ladder"

it seems you are assuming that the people of the star wars universe can manufacture robots, but this is never seen in the films. it would appear that they can only make sapient droids, and do not know how to make something lower on this "sapience ladder"

Targeting computers are pretty clearly doing something, and are not shown to be sentient in any way. They have computers, monitors, processors, and other bits and bobs of technology that aren't sapient. It's possible that there's no spectrum between simple computer and sentient droid, and I can't think of any examples off the top of my head of anything in between the two.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe

Dirk the Average posted:

I suppose that's the core of it. I make, build, and design things both for a living and as a hobby. It's somewhat unimaginable for me to build something and then not have any strings attached to it. I don't see something being born as superior so much as I see the act of building something as granting ownership of the thing being built.

And I think that's understandable, but in a situation where you're actively denying a sentient being rights, it's not excusable. So right now you aren't in that situation, which is good, because you would be part of the problem. People who are stuck in a paradigm that doesn't exist anymore are typically the ones that hold back this kind of progress and slow society down.

Serf
May 5, 2011

RBA Starblade posted:

Star Wars is weird.

i would assume so, yeah.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Serf posted:

Please please please please please watch the John Carpenter film Dark Star.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Basebf555 posted:

Unfortunately a lot of this does come down to whether you want to accept the Clone Wars into the discussion. Because that show sent the message about the droid issue extremely loudly and clearly in multiple episodes every season.

It demonstrates that the jedi are good guys, and that the droid army soldiers react to destroying republic droids, or even their own, identical models, with a shrug and a joke? It demonstrates that the separatist leadership are rich, self-serving cowards who need to be destroyed? It demonstrates that General Grievous gives zero fucks about any droid life? It demonstrates that jedi at least try to do good while their enemies test weapons on civilians as a matter of course?

Clearly Lucas thought long and hard and made the droid army an analogue for american chattel slavery. Remember when Frederick Douglass drove the world’s first combat sub in its test cruise, checking the efficacy of his torpedos on Mississipi slave barges?

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

i would assume so, yeah.

If we follow this line of thought, does this make Starkiller Base the Laser Moon equivalent of Darth Vader?

Serf
May 5, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

It demonstrates that the jedi are good guys, and that the droid army soldiers react to destroying republic droids, or even their own, identical models, with a shrug and a joke? It demonstrates that the separatist leadership are rich, self-serving cowards who need to be destroyed? It demonstrates that General Grievous gives zero fucks about any droid life? It demonstrates that jedi at least try to do good while their enemies test weapons on civilians as a matter of course?

Clearly Lucas thought long and hard and made the droid army an analogue for american chattel slavery. Remember when Frederick Douglass drove the world’s first combat sub in its test cruise, checking the efficacy of his torpedos on Mississipi slave barges?

you seem to be confused about what that post is saying. the droids are not willing participants in the war, and they react to the orders that they cannot refuse with sarcasm because they have to cope with their existence somehow

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Serf posted:

you seem to be confused about what that post is saying. the droids are not willing participants in the war, and they react to the orders that they cannot refuse with sarcasm because they have to cope with their existence somehow

Right, just like black people :)

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Now tell me how Lucas planned Alderaan to be the planet of the jews

Serf
May 5, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Right, just like black people :)

again, this is a weird assumption to make. the droids are not human. they are, however, people. this should not be unusual in a fantasy universe where there are countless sapient species

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Serf posted:

again, this is a weird assumption to make. the droids are not human. they are, however, people. this should not be unusual in a fantasy universe where there are countless sapient species

just repeating metaphors from a page ago you loving idiot

again, sorry your bad movies are not good, and in fact, mediocre

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

"Are the robot characters in starwars characters" is the weirdest cylical argument I see in these threads

Serf
May 5, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

just repeating metaphors from a page ago you loving idiot

again, sorry your bad movies are not good, and in fact, mediocre

i don't remember saying that, nor agreeing with it. the situation that droids exist in somewhat parallels that of some real-world situations, but it is not a 1:1 recreation of those situations, because droids (and clones) are not humans who follow human rules. they are people, just different. slave armies have existed in the past, but i doubt any of them were completely subservient to their masters as droids (and clones) are.

RBA Starblade posted:

If we follow this line of thought, does this make Starkiller Base the Laser Moon equivalent of Darth Vader?

it's more machine now, than planet

yeah, i could see that

Motto posted:

"Are the robot characters in starwars characters" is the weirdest cylical argument I see in these threads

its exceptionally strange

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Serf posted:

it's more machine now, than planet

yeah, i could see that

Star Wars 12 or whatever better have a Death Star and a Force-using Planet or something square off.