Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Sorry it was late and I misspoke a bit. The AP is assigned to 192.168.1.2, but the Unifi Controller is set up on a new Raspberry Pi (hostname rpi), which is assigned to 192.168.1.3. I meant to say that the Unifi Controller management page is accessed at 192.168.1.3:8443 or rpi.mydomain.com:8443. I can manually ssh into the AP at 192.168.1.2 or ap.mydomain.com though.

I think I get it though, with the reverse proxy bit.

e: I don’t want to forward 443 to 8443 internally on the entire Raspberry Pi cause presumably I want to host other services on it. But you’re right I really don’t know how this works.

quote:

# hosted on RPI
https://unifi.mydomain.com -> 192.168.1.3:8443

# hosted on PC
https://sonarr.mydomain.com -> 192.168.1.10:8989
https://nzbget.mydomain.com -> 192.168.1.10:6789

# hosted off site
https://mydomain.com -> Digital Ocean

That’s what I want. None of the self hosted stuff should be accessible by anyone not connected to my network nor should people even know those sub domains exist. mydomain.com is an actual domain I own though that I host some things on Digital Ocean.

e2: Am I just describing “intranet” and would it be better to use a single subdomain, eg home.mydomain.com/unifi instead, so that I can get a SSL certificate and stop these security warnings?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 09:41 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Boris Galerkin posted:

Sorry it was late and I misspoke a bit. The AP is assigned to 192.168.1.2, but the Unifi Controller is set up on a new Raspberry Pi (hostname rpi), which is assigned to 192.168.1.3. I meant to say that the Unifi Controller management page is accessed at 192.168.1.3:8443 or rpi.mydomain.com:8443. I can manually ssh into the AP at 192.168.1.2 or ap.mydomain.com though.

I think I get it though, with the reverse proxy bit.

e: I don’t want to forward 443 to 8443 internally on the entire Raspberry Pi cause presumably I want to host other services on it. But you’re right I really don’t know how this works.

That’s what I want. None of the self hosted stuff should be accessible by anyone not connected to my network nor should people even know those sub domains exist. mydomain.com is an actual domain I own though that I host some things on Digital Ocean.

e2: Am I just describing “intranet” and would it be better to use a single subdomain, eg home.mydomain.com/unifi instead, so that I can get a SSL certificate and stop these security warnings?

E2 is impossible without reverse proxying.

Simplest thing would be to put all three devices onto port 443 and be done with it, or put a website on the RPI, and forward to the appropriate sites, but this would mean that the browser shows the IP and port. If you want the address bar to show https://something.domain.com/ you have to use port 443.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Can someone recommend a tiny fanless rock solid gigabit 5 port switch?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

NETGEAR GS105 should fit your requirements. The GS105E is web-managed and does VLANs if you need that.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Cool, thank you. Weird how the managed E version is a quid or two cheaper than the non-managed version, on Amazon.co.uk.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
5 port switches are bad because they breed like rabbits. You get one and the next thing you know there's a whole web of tiny switches everywhere

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

At least rackmount ones can be tied down

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

CrazyLittle posted:

5 port switches are bad because they breed like rabbits. You get one and the next thing you know there's a whole web of tiny switches everywhere

I need a small one for the TV and steamlink. No point getting an 8 port.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:

Steakandchips posted:

I need a small one for the TV and steamlink. No point getting an 8 port.

Until you need more ports, which always happens.

Grassy Knowles
Apr 4, 2003

"The original Terminator was a gritty fucking AMAZING piece of sci-fi. Gritty fucking rock-hard MURDER!"

SEKCobra posted:

Until you need more ports, which always happens.

"I'm never going to need to add another hardwired device" is never true, source: literally everyone ever

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

Photex posted:

You'll get TV you just don't get the TV Guide and other data related info, but really you should just buy an HDHomeRun and rent a cablecard instead

THAT'S what it was. Thanks for the reminder.

So I'm gonna start pulling wire in my house today, finally! I only plan on doing the 1st floor. The upstairs is gonna be a whole different mess because I'm coming down from the attic and mounting the switch in the laundry room and I just don't feel like doing all that this weekend.
The Smartcom guy came back out Wednesday and pulled a string (which they forgot to do initially) through the conduit they ran when the house was built.
Sure, I could have done it, but the builder wouldn't let me run the conduit so I had to pay these fuckers to do it. And I'll be damned if I'm paying for them to do a half-assed job. So, instead I waited 2 months for them to come back out and pull a string through a tube out of spite.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Grassy Knowles posted:

"I'm never going to need to add another hardwired device" is never true, source: literally everyone ever

I have enough switches in other rooms, this is literally for the tv only.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
So since it seemed like it would serve my purposes, I foolishly order the TP-LINK Archer C5 from the OP without actually asking if the OP was in fact still up to date, since it was last updated two years ago. Considering it will be replacing an old att combination modem/router, and my internet will still only be 100 megabits (up from 24), it should still have comparatively better signal and be able to push as much bandwidth as we are going to get right? I'm sure it isn't the best now, but it isn't going to be bad right?

Honestly considering I ordered it on the twelfth and Amazon is saying it hasn't even shipped yet, should I be worried it won't be here for when my cable gets installed on the 19? I can probably just cancel it and get something from Best Buy if it comes to it.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 15:57 on Jan 14, 2018

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

thechosenone posted:

So since it seemed like it would serve my purposes, I foolishly order the TP-LINK Archer C5 from the OP without actually asking if the OP was in fact still up to date, since it was last updated two years ago. Considering it will be replacing an old att combination modem/router, and my internet will still only be 100 megabits (up from 24), it should still have comparatively better signal and be able to push as much bandwidth as we are going to get right? I'm sure it isn't the best now, but it isn't going to be bad right?

Honestly considering I ordered it on the twelfth and Amazon is saying it hasn't even shipped yet, should I be worried it won't be here for when my cable gets installed on the 19? I can probably just cancel it and get something from Best Buy if it comes to it.

OP was updated 8 days ago. You should be good. None of us can answer questions about your amazon delivery speed, only amazon can.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Rexxed posted:

OP was updated 8 days ago. You should be good. None of us can answer questions about your amazon delivery speed, only amazon can.

Ah, didn't think to check the actual edit date.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

THAT'S what it was. Thanks for the reminder.

So I'm gonna start pulling wire in my house today, finally! I only plan on doing the 1st floor. The upstairs is gonna be a whole different mess because I'm coming down from the attic and mounting the switch in the laundry room and I just don't feel like doing all that this weekend.
The Smartcom guy came back out Wednesday and pulled a string (which they forgot to do initially) through the conduit they ran when the house was built.
Sure, I could have done it, but the builder wouldn't let me run the conduit so I had to pay these fuckers to do it. And I'll be damned if I'm paying for them to do a half-assed job. So, instead I waited 2 months for them to come back out and pull a string through a tube out of spite.

Holy gently caress. Finding wall plates/covers/inserts is an enormous loving pain in the rear end. My options are to mix and match brands and hope it works, or spend $20/outlet + keystones.
Still looking for a decent 4-port insert for those decorative outlet covers...

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

https://m.aliexpress.com/item/32614175865.html ?

Edit: Or https://m.ebay.com/itm/DECORA-KEYSTONE-JACK-1-2-3-4-6-PORT-MODULAR-WALL-INSERTS-COVER-PLATE-WHITE-/270792559262

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Jan 15, 2018

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

Holy gently caress. Finding wall plates/covers/inserts is an enormous loving pain in the rear end. My options are to mix and match brands and hope it works, or spend $20/outlet + keystones.
Still looking for a decent 4-port insert for those decorative outlet covers...

https://www.monoprice.com/category/adapters-switches-and-splitters/wall-plates-and-keystones

I have never not found one I needed. A lot of the times they have a ready made plate that will have everything you want if youre willing to occasionally accept extras, and the rest of the time the modular stuff is sufficient.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Yoooooo why did I not think of Aliexpress or ebay? I finally found those same ones on Amazon for like $2.61 but I'm gonna stock up on those for future jobs.

M_Gargantua posted:

https://www.monoprice.com/category/adapters-switches-and-splitters/wall-plates-and-keystones

I have never not found one I needed. A lot of the times they have a ready made plate that will have everything you want if youre willing to occasionally accept extras, and the rest of the time the modular stuff is sufficient.
I've got a ton of the monoprice ones. They're pretty alright. They're right up there with Allen tel and StarTech and so on.

The problem is that the wife really wants these faceplates:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I0ICEIY/ref=ox_sc_act_title_3?smid=A1FJ9LRJDN8ZOY&psc=1

Which means I'm limited to these inserts:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0062NBXDC/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A3ONFTWS4FHJKT&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XXO2X6O/ref=ox_sc_act_title_4?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Oh well... I guess they're just pricey. Even Graybar doesn't have good deals on them.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry
I don’t get it. Why use decora trim plates for keystone single gang? I could understand requiring decora format for double gang boxes but there’s no justification for a single box with a single plate

Also here is a six port decora keystone: AllSmartLife® QuickPort Decora Wall Plate Insert for 6-Port Keystone Jack - White https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017H46MEO/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_eAcxAbT42ZY4T

CrazyLittle fucked around with this message at 04:57 on Jan 15, 2018

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CrazyLittle posted:

I don’t get it. Why use decora trim plates for keystone single gang?

Because the almighty wife said so. Personally I don't really care what is holding the keystones in place, as long as it's holding the keystones in place. But, to her aesthetics are important and she likes the way the decora plates look :shrug:

Since y'all have been so helpful in helping me with wall plates, I might as well ask about keystones. I usually just pick up Allen Tel or whatever a job specifies from Graybar but I'm fresh out of leftovers and have to go buy some to complete the house.
Ideally I'd like 4 different colors, but I'm willing to just suck it up and do all one color plus labels if it's significantly cheaper.

What do you all recommend?

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Ask you wife what colors are acceptable, since the aesthetics matter so much more to her than to you. Labeling is something I'd consider non-optional no matter what color scheme you use for the keystones.

Regarding wall plates, I'm going to use angled ones next time I have to run drops.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

SamDabbers posted:

Ask you wife what colors are acceptable, since the aesthetics matter so much more to her than to you. Labeling is something I'd consider non-optional no matter what color scheme you use for the keystones.

Regarding wall plates, I'm going to use angled ones next time I have to run drops.

She says "white." So it looks like we might just be going with a single color. I'd like blue/green for the 2-port drops and that plus white/red for the 4 port. I'll be able to do whatever I want in the basement when it gets finished, but I don't think that's going to be any time soon, except for the office I'll be putting in so that's really just one of each.
I don't have to label the faceplates. Everything is going to be labeled at the patch panels, and each wire will be labeled. Every drop is gonna follow the same schema so even if nothing were labeled, it would still be easy to identify.

Anywho, I guess I'm looking for a lot of white keystones.

These seem like a good price buy they do not look very sturdy.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/10-Pack-Lo...5.c100005.m1851

...and at $.80/each, It's almost not even worth risking it over getting the CableMatters ones from Amazon for $.30 more with guaranteed next day delivery.

I actually have a few of those Leviton plates. I like them.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jan 15, 2018

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

I quite like the tooless modules with the little butterfly type catches on the back.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

I complained about this problem in this thread about a month ago, glad to see TP-Link figured it out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/7qk7rq/tplink_engineer_explains_wifi_disconnections_tied/

TLDR: Google cast devices have been flooding the network with multicast packets in certain situations. A router memory leak issue causes the device to act up resulting in connectivity issues.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I was just posting about that on another thread. I've got 4 Google Homes and three Shield TVs which have chromecast buil in and I haven't had any wifi problems.

I'm wondering if that's because I have a ubiquiti access point...

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

A "router memory leak issue" seems like it'd be specific to a particular firmware, so it's not surprising that a different brand doesn't exhibit the same problem.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

SamDabbers posted:

A "router memory leak issue" seems like it'd be specific to a particular firmware, so it's not surprising that a different brand doesn't exhibit the same problem.

I would agree with you but apparently it's not just one brand having the problem.

EngineerJoe
Aug 8, 2004
-=whore=-

Thermopyle posted:

I would agree with you but apparently it's not just one brand having the problem.

You'd be surprised how lovely most routers are.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

EngineerJoe posted:

No, I'm definitely aware, and that's the reason I have an ERL as my router and previous to that used different routers running OpenWRT/DD-WRT/Tomato for like 10 years or something. Routers are hilariously bad.

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

EngineerJoe posted:

If a tiny embedded device like Chromecast can DoS their routers, I think it tells more about the badness of their routers...

Kaboobi
Jan 5, 2005

SHAKE IT BABY!
SALT THAT LADY!

I finally set up an Edgerouter X SFP and two UAP-AC-Lites and holy poo poo I have working wifi in the whole house again, instead of random pockets!

Armacham
Mar 3, 2007

Then brothers in war, to the skirmish must we hence! Shall we hence?

Kaboobi posted:

I finally set up an Edgerouter X SFP and two UAP-AC-Lites and holy poo poo I have working wifi in the whole house again, instead of random pockets!

It's nice, right? I'm done with basic consumer hardware forever

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Kaboobi posted:

I've got a UAP AC Pro and it covers the house pretty adequately, but obviously it could be a little faster if you're not standing in line of sight from it.
I'm considering getting another AP, but I'm a little worried about having 2 of them so close together. Not as much for the handoff, which Ubiquiti stuff seems to do pretty seamlessly, but more for the interference between them.
Also, I'm not so sure you could even get far enough away from any AP in my house to actually warrant a hand off from one to the other so it might be a moot point.

I kind of wish I had gone with 3 AC-lite instead

stevewm
May 10, 2005

EngineerJoe posted:

I complained about this problem in this thread about a month ago, glad to see TP-Link figured it out.
https://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/7qk7rq/tplink_engineer_explains_wifi_disconnections_tied/

TLDR: Google cast devices have been flooding the network with multicast packets in certain situations. A router memory leak issue causes the device to act up resulting in connectivity issues.

My Nexus Player has done this twice now... When it drops into the chromecast screensaver. I only discovered it by installing wireshark on one of my desktops. It was flooding the network with MDNS broadcasts. It was bad enough to send the CPU usage on my router to 100% and cause it to start dropping connections.

One of the recent updates a few months ago stopped it.

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home

Armacham posted:

It's nice, right? I'm done with basic consumer hardware forever

I'm still using my old router as my access point but even just moving to Unifi for routing and switching fixed so many niggling issues I had. I eagerly await a new wifi standard or breakdown to have an excuse to finish the job with some UAP(s)

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled
I need to get a new router since an ethernet port died on mine. I'm tempted to go edgerouter and UAP(s) but I know that if I do that I won't be able to use UAP(s) to talk to a wireless repeater in the garage/guest house 65-80 meters away.

It's me the guy who hasn't wanted to spend time running cat 5e or 6 outside between buildings that are probably close enough to do that. Don't really want to mount one of those nano point to point things either due to line of sight being slightly an issue (Oak Tree, location of router and stuff in home). I dunno I'm mainly just being lazy about it.

CrazyLittle
Sep 11, 2001

Clapping Larry

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm a little worried about having 2 of them so close together. Not as much for the handoff, which Ubiquiti stuff seems to do pretty seamlessly, but more for the interference between them.

When you add another AP, turn down the transmit power on both of them to encourage your devices to roam faster.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

havenwaters posted:

I need to get a new router since an ethernet port died on mine. I'm tempted to go edgerouter and UAP(s) but I know that if I do that I won't be able to use UAP(s) to talk to a wireless repeater in the garage/guest house 65-80 meters away.

I'm confused by this - if you have a device that connects to a Wi-Fi network and rebroadcasts it then that will still work if you change your APs to Unifi models.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

CrazyLittle posted:

When you add another AP, turn down the transmit power on both of them to encourage your devices to roam faster.

I would have to have 3 devices and set them up to be pretty much line of sight and that would be perfect. (again, wish I had done AC-lite)
If I split my 3 story house between 2 AP's, I feel like the 1st floor is going to lose out big time.

I have to say that currently the setup isn't bad by any stretch, but I know that it could be so much faster if my wireless devices were getting more than 75% signal.