Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Truly, you are a poet, a master of language. This reasoning is solid, and not perhaps based on your own trash mind - that in your slang-addled, radiation-riddled 21st century brain, "dumb and bad" is enough for you not to think about or do a thing.

Everyone has already pointed out the myriad of ways it can be grammatically worked out. That up there is an excuse for an advertising brand not to use a new slogan, not for an adult in regards to challenging thoughts. I get the joke, I know you're breaking it down so simply for laughs, but there's a grain of truth to the fact your thinking probably stops there, and it's painful to see. We give ourselves amazing reasons to not think through poo poo.

nice meltdown

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trauma Dog 3000
Aug 30, 2017

by SA Support Robot
Misusing gender pronouns is the only way to keep this country safe

Mushika
Dec 22, 2010

Len posted:

What about the blind deaf out there?

A mix of wild gesticulations, meaningless guttural sounds, and farts?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

I'd also like to point out that this story of trans people getting really pissed off at the first misgendering is, in fact, largely nonexistent. I'm a trans woman, who knows a significant portion of all the trans people in my local area, and in fact study gender for my degree. 99%+ of trans people will be understanding the first few times -- we get misgendering, since we, as trans people, tend to be around other trans folks a lot more often, and we also make mistakes when referring to each other. We are used to it, unfortunately -- the problem comes from people maliciously misgendering us on purpose or, worse yet, refusing to learn from their mistakes and blaming us for getting upset. (Or "just asking questions" about pronouns, see above.)

Here are a few Good Tips:

1. Don't assume pronouns without asking. It feels really, really lovely when people assume I'm a man, it's like being kicked in the jaw every time. It's something that really gets annoying over time. Use neutral language ("that person," "you," or, y'know "they") if you're not talking to them, or if it's not a big socially important situation. (They're your cashier or waiter or w/e).

2. If you care about the person, ask their pronouns. It's usually good to start off with your pronouns first and you can integrate it with your name. For example, while introducing yourself you could say, for example: "My name T-man, and I use she and her pronouns." It isn't pressuring the other person, and if you make it into a habit you're not singling out people who "look trans." (Which also feels bad, but not nearly as much as assuming incorrectly.) If it feels weird or awkward, it's usually just a case of being unused to the idea -- I was really bad at this early in my transition, but now it feels weird not to do this. If you yourself are not trans, this is especially important, as it can change the way that people treat those of us who are.

3. When you gently caress up (you will gently caress up) act like an adult and move on. It's usually a smart idea to stop for a second (so they know you've noticed your mistake) say "sorry" in a short and efficient manner, and repeat what was said with their preferred pronouns. Often, people want to go into long elaborate self-flagellation for their mistakes, which is a) kinda just begging for attention and forgiveness and b) interrupts the flow of conversation and puts a hyperfocus on the person whose pronouns you just messed up.

4. Trans people have bad days, too. Sometimes we might snap at you when you gently caress up our pronouns. Non-trans people think pronouns are some minor etiquette, but when I say it feels like being kicked, I'm not exaggerating. Usually, we're not mad at you, in particular (unless it's obviously something that you're not working on, or you're acting maliciously) but at all the people throughout our lives that keep on being lovely even after we ask them to change. Remember, if you're struggling with this, other people are too, and having people constantly make the same mistake over and over again would try the patience of a goddamn saint. We have a lot more problems relating to our gender than non-trans people do, so keep in mind that this poo poo really matters to us, even if it may not to you. And yes, there are trans people who can be assholes, sometimes, 99% < 100%. Too bad. Trust me, there are more people who are lovely to us then there are to you with gender.

Finally, don't expect trans people to explain this poo poo. I tell people about this stuff for a living, and I'm basically a walking encyclopedia at this point, but not every trans person is a goony gently caress like me. This is 101 level information, and if you search online there's a whole universe of more information that you, yes you, can learn about if interested. Just because someone is a minority doesn't give them the obligation to explain stuff over and over again, and you won't be the first one to ask. Read these, try and do the best you can, and make sure you work on getting better and that's all we ask of you.

(also yes we do plan on purging all the straight cis people by putting chemicals in the water, hail gay satan)

Poor Miserable Gurgi
Dec 29, 2006

He's a wisecracker!

Bombadilillo posted:

Jesus that got dark.

Friendless
Bad opinions
Torture supporter

This thread :swoon:

This they chode has the right idea.

Is this really a great hill to die on, my dude(tte)?

It's weird how often people will rush into this thread and other places on the forum to go "I'm all for being progressive, but let's not go too far..." and then make jokes about non-binary or asexual people or whatever other minority they figure are still game to be made fun of.

EDIT: And by weird, I mean sad and predictable.

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
For the record, chuckles, I never said you are nor should be friendless; I said people who prefer the pronoun "they" shouldn't hang out with you, because you care more about hypothetical awkward sentences than you care about respecting them. Have fun tilting at windmills, though!

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

Bombadilillo posted:

Jesus that got dark.

Friendless
Bad opinions
Torture supporter

This thread :swoon:

This they chode has the right idea.

You're corncobbing really, really hard at this point.

I'm a D&D poster. I've seen people die on some moronic hills. I've died on some dumb-rear end hills. But I've never, in all my posting career, seen someone die on a hill this loving stupid.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

ur a loving moron lmao

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

Id like to add that "dude" and "bro" are in fact gendered terms and no amount of trying to excuse it with poo poo like "i call everyone dude or bro, even my sister/wife/whomever" is going to change that. On the off chance that the person saying it genuinely doesn't consider "dude" or whatever as masculine terms, trans women like myself sure as gently caress do, so do the decent thing and knock it off.
Yes, I've had men try to argue with me that "bro" has reached gender neutral status in slang.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

T-man posted:

I'd also like to point out that this story of trans people getting really pissed off at the first misgendering is, in fact, largely nonexistent. I'm a trans woman, who knows a significant portion of all the trans people in my local area, and in fact study gender for my degree. 99%+ of trans people will be understanding the first few times -- we get misgendering, since we, as trans people, tend to be around other trans folks a lot more often, and we also make mistakes when referring to each other. We are used to it, unfortunately -- the problem comes from people maliciously misgendering us on purpose or, worse yet, refusing to learn from their mistakes and blaming us for getting upset. (Or "just asking questions" about pronouns, see above.)

Here are a few Good Tips:

1. Don't assume pronouns without asking. It feels really, really lovely when people assume I'm a man, it's like being kicked in the jaw every time. It's something that really gets annoying over time. Use neutral language ("that person," "you," or, y'know "they") if you're not talking to them, or if it's not a big socially important situation. (They're your cashier or waiter or w/e).

2. If you care about the person, ask their pronouns. It's usually good to start off with your pronouns first and you can integrate it with your name. For example, while introducing yourself you could say, for example: "My name T-man, and I use she and her pronouns." It isn't pressuring the other person, and if you make it into a habit you're not singling out people who "look trans." (Which also feels bad, but not nearly as much as assuming incorrectly.) If it feels weird or awkward, it's usually just a case of being unused to the idea -- I was really bad at this early in my transition, but now it feels weird not to do this. If you yourself are not trans, this is especially important, as it can change the way that people treat those of us who are.

3. When you gently caress up (you will gently caress up) act like an adult and move on. It's usually a smart idea to stop for a second (so they know you've noticed your mistake) say "sorry" in a short and efficient manner, and repeat what was said with their preferred pronouns. Often, people want to go into long elaborate self-flagellation for their mistakes, which is a) kinda just begging for attention and forgiveness and b) interrupts the flow of conversation and puts a hyperfocus on the person whose pronouns you just messed up.

4. Trans people have bad days, too. Sometimes we might snap at you when you gently caress up our pronouns. Non-trans people think pronouns are some minor etiquette, but when I say it feels like being kicked, I'm not exaggerating. Usually, we're not mad at you, in particular (unless it's obviously something that you're not working on, or you're acting maliciously) but at all the people throughout our lives that keep on being lovely even after we ask them to change. Remember, if you're struggling with this, other people are too, and having people constantly make the same mistake over and over again would try the patience of a goddamn saint. We have a lot more problems relating to our gender than non-trans people do, so keep in mind that this poo poo really matters to us, even if it may not to you. And yes, there are trans people who can be assholes, sometimes, 99% < 100%. Too bad. Trust me, there are more people who are lovely to us then there are to you with gender.

Finally, don't expect trans people to explain this poo poo. I tell people about this stuff for a living, and I'm basically a walking encyclopedia at this point, but not every trans person is a goony gently caress like me. This is 101 level information, and if you search online there's a whole universe of more information that you, yes you, can learn about if interested. Just because someone is a minority doesn't give them the obligation to explain stuff over and over again, and you won't be the first one to ask. Read these, try and do the best you can, and make sure you work on getting better and that's all we ask of you.

(also yes we do plan on purging all the straight cis people by putting chemicals in the water, hail gay satan)

It happened to my wife. It was a friend of our teen a 19 year old who was female when we knew her but had since chosen different pronouns out of principle and not gender identity. She got real Facebook hurt about it. My take away is I will call you whatever you want, but if you want that, you have to let us know, especially if you have an established relationship where you were identified differently. But that puts 100% of the pressure on you, that's not cool. But starting every meeting with a new person with, "what's your pronouns" doesn't seem realistic. Tricky.

Everybody all quick to jump on me as an anti pronoun threadcrashing boogieman. I just don't think 'they/them' is adequate. You keep you hill die chat up. Your arguments of "It works unless is doesn't." And "You're a moron". Surprisingly unconvincing.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Bombadilillo posted:

But starting every meeting with a new person with, "what's your pronouns" doesn't seem realistic.

Why not?

Pleasing Shape
Jan 9, 2004

The Vitally Important Pelvic Thrust
https://twitter.com/Annakhait/status/951896061957885952
:allears:

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Six-Of-Hearts posted:

Id like to add that "dude" and "bro" are in fact gendered terms and no amount of trying to excuse it with poo poo like "i call everyone dude or bro, even my sister/wife/whomever" is going to change that. On the off chance that the person saying it genuinely doesn't consider "dude" or whatever as masculine terms, trans women like myself sure as gently caress do, so do the decent thing and knock it off.
Yes, I've had men try to argue with me that "bro" has reached gender neutral status in slang.

This is a genuine question, not a troll or joke or anything: What about the term "guys" for a group of people? It's not something that I use particularly often, but I'll use something like "those guys" to refer to a group of people in conversation, regardless of gender. It's crossed my mind that it might be bad, but I've never really thought to ask.

Man, I honestly thought this was sarcastic at first. Holy poo poo.

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

jivjov posted:

Why not?

Thats got me thinking. The honest immediate answer is to not upset people that get butthurt about pronouns existing. In other words protect myself from social awkwardness. There's more to it but I gotta think.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Queen-Of-Hearts
Mar 17, 2009

"I want to break your heart💔 and give you mine🫀"

SpacePig posted:

This is a genuine question, not a troll or joke or anything: What about the term "guys" for a group of people? It's not something that I use particularly often, but I'll use something like "those guys" to refer to a group of people in conversation, regardless of gender. It's crossed my mind that it might be bad, but I've never really thought to ask.

It doesn't anger me like "sir" does, but its still uncomfortable. It stands out sharply to people like me, because gendered language has been used as a weapon to make us feel inferior, magnifying even the smallest misuses in our ears.
There's a decent list of alternatives, like: You all, ya'll, folks, people, coven, crowd, etc.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

booooorrrriiiiiiinnngggg

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

hawowanlawow posted:

booooorrrriiiiiiinnngggg

Yeah someone other than bombadillo post some iosm please

SulfurMonoxideCute
Feb 9, 2008

I was under direct orders not to die
🐵❌💀

It's incredibly difficult to not be an rear end in a top hat, guys. I can't find any good reason to not be an rear end in a top hat.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

And a half-hour later it's gone. Screenshots, people!

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Never take this thread for granite

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

Bombadilillo posted:

I just don't think 'they/them' is adequate.

ya this is why ur a moron

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Rhino, you did this to me!

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

And a half-hour later it's gone. Screenshots, people!

No screenshot but it was a woman unironically thanking Trump for creating Martin Luther King Jr. day.

Her response to apparently learning for the first time that MLK day isn't new and has in fact been around for decades

fake e: wait, did she delete and repost that or something? because

is still showing up for me but at

https://twitter.com/Annakhait/status/951896132329844736
instead

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Bombadilillo posted:

Thats got me thinking. The honest immediate answer is to not upset people that get butthurt about pronouns existing. In other words protect myself from social awkwardness. There's more to it but I gotta think.

Oh golly having an awkward conversation about pronouns with morons who don't want to inconvenience themselves; how horrible.

When trans people talk about dumb cis people we're actually talking about you, forums poster McDipshit, in particular.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

jivjov posted:

Why not?

Asking someone if they're trans* on the first meeting seems rude.

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Byzantine posted:

It's not like trans people are the only ones who have pronouns. Hell, not even the only ones who don't like having the wrong pronouns used but they just get all the flack for it.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, that's absolutely rude. You shouldn't do that. Why would you ever think of doing that?

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Why do you guys keep arguing with the guy who's deliberately ignoring the obvious solutions and calling people "butthurt"?

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Byzantine posted:

You shouldn't do that, but you can provide your own pronouns and see if the person you are talking to does have a preference. See #2 on my second to last post.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

HOW?! :psyduck:

THE BIG DOG DADDY
Oct 16, 2013

Rasheed was, with Aliases, the top 7 PvPers in Bone Krew.

No one talks about this.

T-man posted:

Oh golly having an awkward conversation about pronouns with morons who don't want to inconvenience themselves; how horrible.

When trans people talk about dumb cis people we're actually talking about you, forums poster McDipshit, in particular.

Wow way to marginalize the Irish you rear end in a top hat

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

hawowanlawow posted:

booooorrrriiiiiiinnngggg

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Metrofreak posted:

(and as I believe I've been told, there's no gender on licenses in the rest of the country anyways, so lol)

I had to just check mine (Victorian) because I was pretty sure, but yeah, confirmed, no information on there apart from name, date of birth, address, photo and conditions under which you can drive (glasses, automatic-only, etc).

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004

Some states didn't celebrate MLKJ day until like, 2000. I'll let you guess which ones.

Hint: Those states celebrated Robert E Lee day on the same day

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.

Memento posted:

I had to just check mine (Victorian) because I was pretty sure, but yeah, confirmed, no information on there apart from name, date of birth, address, photo and conditions under which you can drive (glasses, automatic-only, etc).

There hasn't been gender on a Queensland license since 2016 either. It's a bullshit fearmonger article blaming trans individuals for something that already happened.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006
Uhm I've never had a trans person ask me my preferred pronouns before, they just assume I'm a guy because I look and sound like one, but every time I call a trans person by the gender they most resemble, I'm automatically the bad guy.

Edit: literally never met a trans person

Postal Parcel
Aug 2, 2013

Garrand posted:

No screenshot but it was a woman unironically thanking Trump for creating Martin Luther King Jr. day.

Her response to apparently learning for the first time that MLK day isn't new and has in fact been around for decades

fake e: wait, did she delete and repost that or something? because

is still showing up for me but at

https://twitter.com/Annakhait/status/951896132329844736
instead

So, is this person not American or newly immigrated or something?
Or did her family AND school(assuming not homeschooled) never tell her that it was MLK(Jr.) Day?

Honest mistake might be fair for a child who's just experiencing events for the first time, but this is just confusing. Assuming this wasn't a troll post, of course.

Puppy Time
Mar 1, 2005

UZR IS BULLSHIT posted:

Some states didn't celebrate MLKJ day until like, 2000. I'll let you guess which ones.

Hint: Those states celebrated Robert E Lee day on the same day

2000 was 17 years ago though how are you gonna miss out on that for SEVENTEEN YEARS?

UZR IS BULLSHIT
Jan 25, 2004
You're really questioning how a Trumpet is ignorant of extremely basic facts?

Garrand
Dec 28, 2012

Postal Parcel posted:

So, is this person not American or newly immigrated or something?
Or did her family AND school(assuming not homeschooled) never tell her that it was MLK(Jr.) Day?

Honest mistake might be fair for a child who's just experiencing events for the first time, but this is just confusing. Assuming this wasn't a troll post, of course.

Take a guess

More definitively

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
lol she’s a former Survivor contestant