Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017
[In Barkley2 voice]: "We have finally decided on a release date. Prepare for barkley 2. To be available. Get your gaming hands ready. For barkley 2. Which will be here. Barkley 2 will be released. Get ready. Digitally downloaded to your system. For the purpose of playing. Barkley 2. Coming soon. The final unchangeable release date, which is set in stone, will be"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

I hope Barlkey 2 comes out on the Switch 3

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i waited 17 years for the first barkley

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

I'm only looking forward to two computer games - this, and Dark Souls Remastered.

slouch
Mar 10, 2009

i never played the first game and don't really get all the jokes. i just backed it because the gameplay looked fun

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
If Barkley 2 has been inside of us the whole time like some kind of Frog Fractions experiment of the flesh, all I have to say is not it to being cut open to harvest the pancreases required to open the gate. Mine's busted.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

i still believe

it's a race between this, la mulana 2, unsung story, and shenmue 3

everythingWasBees fucked around with this message at 14:19 on Jan 12, 2018

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I'm going to play Barkley 2 some day.

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

poo poo I forgot all about la mulana 2 and I backed it at like 40 dollars or something

Velius
Feb 27, 2001

everythingWasBees posted:

i still believe

it's a race between this, la mulana 2, unsung story, and shenmue 3

La Mulana 2 is getting weekly updates (194 so far!), has a beta out, and they’re planning a 2018 release after the main creator was hospitalized for a while. So obviously Barkley will be out first.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Velius posted:

La Mulana 2 is getting weekly updates (194 so far!), has a beta out, and they’re planning a 2018 release after the main creator was hospitalized for a while. So obviously Barkley will be out first.

Good to know it's still going I forgot about it too

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
This thread is my most favorite place on the entire internet.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
I haven't followed this thread in like 10 years, did the devs just run off with the money or did they ever explain how the game fell into development hell

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

I think they used the money to cover their cost of living while working on the game and don't have any anymore but they didn't finish the game yet

One imagines they are still currently working on it on the off hours of whatever day jobs they have now

So it might be a while

Pretty good
Apr 16, 2007

Node posted:

This thread is my most favorite place on the entire internet.
Burgly

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

Cuntellectual posted:

I haven't followed this thread in like 10 years, did the devs just run off with the money or did they ever explain how the game fell into development hell

It turns out that you can't sustain full time game development for five years with a budget of $120,000.

Line Feed
Sep 7, 2012

Seeds taste better with friends.

I'm a dumb naiive gently caress so I actually think this game is going to come out.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Barnley

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Mr. Lobe posted:

I think they used the money to cover their cost of living while working on the game and don't have any anymore but they didn't finish the game yet

One imagines they are still currently working on it on the off hours of whatever day jobs they have now

So it might be a while

That what they said yeah. Game dev isn't cheap

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Line Feed posted:

I'm a dumb naiive gently caress so I actually think this game is going to come out.

A lot of the delay is from getting that Al Bhed translation 100% accurate.

Arzachel
May 12, 2012

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

A lot of the delay is from getting that Al Bhed translation 100% accurate.

Hope they didn't miss that one dictionary in the ship

WarpDogs
May 1, 2009

I'm just a normal, functioning member of the human race, and there's no way anyone can prove otherwise.
Saying "game development is expensive" is insanely underselling ToG's role in this garbage. yeah, developing a game for 6 years is expensive, but also, how in the world has this stupid game been in development for 6 years?

It's not like their stretch goals inflated the scope of the game (beyond the 2nd city, which ofc we've never seen), so can you imagine if they raised the original ask of $35k? What would have happened then?

It's major incompetence. And given how often they go radio silent for months and months at a time, it's probably incompetence that's also mixed with apathy.

If this was a passion project that they just couldn't afford to work on as much as they'd like then they'd still try to keep us in the loop. They'd still appear to give a poo poo about the game and its backers. But they don't.

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

WarpDogs posted:

Saying "game development is expensive" is insanely underselling ToG's role in this garbage. yeah, developing a game for 6 years is expensive, but also, how in the world has this stupid game been in development for 6 years?

It's not like their stretch goals inflated the scope of the game (beyond the 2nd city, which ofc we've never seen), so can you imagine if they raised the original ask of $35k? What would have happened then?

It's major incompetence. And given how often they go radio silent for months and months at a time, it's probably incompetence that's also mixed with apathy.

If this was a passion project that they just couldn't afford to work on as much as they'd like then they'd still try to keep us in the loop. They'd still appear to give a poo poo about the game and its backers. But they don't.

ur dumb

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i hope they enjoyed their free money

I HAVE GOUT
Nov 23, 2017

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

i hope they enjoyed their free money

They had a big party with the money they stole from us innocent backers.

TASTE THE PAIN!!
May 18, 2004

At this point you have to wonder what would get you idiots to stop defending them. Game development is tricky, things obviously didn't work well enough with the funds raised, but there's no excuse for these long periods of complete silence.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TASTE THE PAIN!! posted:

At this point you have to wonder what would get you idiots to stop defending them. Game development is tricky, things obviously didn't work well enough with the funds raised, but there's no excuse for these long periods of complete silence.

I just don't care

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

i spent $10 on the game and i spent $10 on the forums and the latter has caused significantly more harm to my personal development so really i can't complain about barkley

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

i spent $10 on the game and i spent $10 on the forums and the latter has caused significantly more harm to my personal development so really i can't complain about barkley

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

it's pretty bad but there's nothing to be done about it

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
They made a promise and I believe in them.

grieving for Gandalf
Apr 22, 2008

the best joke is thinking the 2023 date is a joke

Modus Pwnens
Dec 29, 2004
In 2023 I will be ushered into gaming Valhalla with the other faithful (<--- people who bought Pozzo Jello Crusade)

Friend Commuter
Nov 3, 2009
SO CLEVER I WANT TO FUCK MY OWN BRAIN.
Smellrose

grieving for Gandalf posted:

the best joke is thinking the 2023 date is a joke

it is, because on 01/01/2024 we will still be posting about how barkley 2 isn't out yet

but oh well

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

:agreed:, this guy gets it

SeXReX
Jan 9, 2009

I drink, mostly.
And get mad at people on the internet

:emptyquote:
I spent $50 on the vidcon pack and got all the joy from reading this thread for free

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Darkley

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Modus Pwnens posted:

In 2023 I will be ushered into gaming Valhalla with the other faithful (<--- people who bought Pozzo Jello Crusade)

Puzzle games are for TREND. They are for CORPORATE ATTITUDE.

They are for STONER.

I am a TRUE DOOM MURDERHEAD.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

memes apparently aren't for trend or corporate attitude, somehow

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chilled Milk
Jun 22, 2003

No one here is alone,
satellites in every home