Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.

Risky Bisquick posted:

How much memory does your system have? Also related, you need the page file to be at least 4gb per card in size, more for Vega due to hbcc. I bet you it’s just your pagefile

Yep. That’s it. Only got 4GB in this shitbox. I’ll get more. Ive read you can only jack the page file 4x higher than RAM you physically have, so that would definitely be the issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

QuarkJets posted:

Wasn't Canada one of those countries where people can't withdraw from Coinbase? Or was that Australia?

You can't withdraw Actual Money. The internal nicehash to coinbase transfer is just the fastest way to get the money off the nicehash servers, because you have to mine at least 10 times as much to pay out to an external wallet.

Then you can send your bitcoins from coinbase to another bitcoin address without telling them you are a dirty canadian. Coinbase doesn't say a peep when I send my bitcoins to coincards.ca

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Risky Bisquick posted:

How much memory does your system have? Also related, you need the page file to be at least 4gb per card in size, more for Vega due to hbcc. I bet you it’s just your pagefile

What? How does page file affect the GPU? Is this just a mining thing or more in general? I have 2 GPUs and the automatically managed page file floats around 4GB, would there be a benefit to me manually increasing it?

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
No errors. Set it to 20-32 gb in size and see what happens

Cinara
Jul 15, 2007

tehinternet posted:

So I took NeoScrypt off of the algorithms list on NiceHash because it was making a couple cards crash randomly (out of memory somehow). I’ve gotta get that fixed because that explains the discrepancy with what I’m seeing in the thread.

I mean $4 per card is cool, but it could be more.

Are you running the legacy client? That's what gets me the highest rates by far due to the nist5 algorithm that doesn't exist on the 2.0 client.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

QuarkJets posted:

Are you mining cryptocurrencies for yourself or are you letting someone like Nicehash pay you for hashing power?

If using Nicehash, do you report this on taxes, even if you don't sell the bitcoin?

Mining yourself = no report

but if you use nicehash, I'm guessing you report?

I haven't reached the $600 (no where close) but it's good info

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Rabid Snake posted:

If using Nicehash, do you report this on taxes, even if you don't sell the bitcoin?

The IRS has made it clear that they expect you to report any receipt of virtual currency as income based on it's value in USD at time you receive it. If you later cash out into USD then you can adjust up or down based on the value at the point in time you cash out.

If you're mining coins directly then you technically should track every payout you receive from a pool as income based on the coin's USD value at that point in time.

If you're mining indirectly (Nicehash/Winminer) then you should count every payout from them when you receive it.

I doubt the IRS is ever going to go after small timers only using a couple of cards on Nicehash but I wouldn't be surprised to see them trying to figure out how to identify who owns large mining operations and auditing them.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Rabid Snake posted:

Also, no idea what this is, but the IRS is also calling coin sales either short or long-term capital gains, of which taxation starts on your first $0.01.

Zero VGS
Aug 16, 2002
ASK ME ABOUT HOW HUMAN LIVES THAT MADE VIDEO GAME CONTROLLERS ARE WORTH MORE
Lipstick Apathy
If anyone was interested, WinMiner just added BitcoinCash as a withdrawal option, which is accepted at Coinbase. I assume there's little to no fee on top of their base 3%

I'm sticking with the Amazon cards myself, it's 5% total fees, can't go wrong with those.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

I wonder how this affects individuals who have purely tax free income otherwise.

Time to see an accountant on how this all works.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH
I used to pay Self-Employment Tax, which starts (started?) at $400. The thing is, I think the occupation actually has to be a regular job.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

For the get-paid-to sites I use with cell phones and VMs I need to include a 1099-MISC for taxes for each even if they didn't request a W9 from me (some do, some don't). I'm not sure if buttcoins are any different. Gift cards/winnings count as income so I'd imagine it's similar, although if you could claim capital gains or losses there may be a different form.
https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1099msc.pdf

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
Keeping my 1080 running today inspired me to start up my 980 again. 1080 back up to 6 dollars and the 980 back up to 3. Maybe yesterday was just a temporary lull. Ah well, I'm not invested so I don't need to worry about dead cats or anything, keep paying me that almost 10 dollars and I'll leave my computers on.

I dump all of my finances stuff on an accountant because I have a complicated income from like 5 different sources along with employees. I wish I could offer advice, but I really have no idea and just have to assume my accountant isn't screwing me.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Jan 13, 2018

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Rabid Snake posted:

Like Krailor said, you're supposed to report the value of the cryptocurrency whenever you receive some. This means mining a block, getting paid by a mining pool, or getting paid by nicehash.

If you're mining yourself you definitely need to report that income

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
there was this racist piece of shit in your av so I fixed it
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Brain Issues posted:

What settings do you use? Like algos are you auto-switching with and which software do you use? I couldn't get MPM to work and NemosMiner works but the profitability stats from MPH lag by like 30 mins so I don't really get the benefit of autoswitching because by the time it switches that coin isn't actually the most profitable anymore.

I have 1 1080ti and 3 1070s and have only been pulling in like $23-$24 a day mining ZCL for the last week.

I learned the hard way that MPH isn't so great to constantly switch, it is a PPLNS pool. Which means if you don't sit and finish out until a block is discovered by the pool, you lose shares by switching. Basically the best way is to sit on the auto coin (by algo) port, which doesn't even need MPM. I read that the makers of MPM are thinking about adding a feature for MPH where it only switches algos upon block completion, which would be nice.

Right now I just use MPM with Nicehash and up-to-date mining software that runs faster than the official software does. The nice thing about Nicehash is you get paid immediately per share, no penalty for aggressively switching.

Also my Radeon 7870 Tahiti is running at 97*C ever since I upgraded to the Blockchain drivers. Probably fine.
..at least it raised my Eth2gb rate from 13 to 16mh/s

tehinternet
Feb 14, 2005

Semantically, "you" is both singular and plural, though syntactically it is always plural. It always takes a verb form that originally marked the word as plural.

Also, there is no plural when the context is an argument with an individual rather than a group. Somfin shouldn't put words in my mouth.
Jesus Christ you could almost boil water with that poo poo.

My hottest card is like 59C. 97C must be miserable.

Brain Issues
Dec 16, 2004

lol

Alpha Mayo posted:

I learned the hard way that MPH isn't so great to constantly switch, it is a PPLNS pool. Which means if you don't sit and finish out until a block is discovered by the pool, you lose shares by switching. Basically the best way is to sit on the auto coin (by algo) port, which doesn't even need MPM. I read that the makers of MPM are thinking about adding a feature for MPH where it only switches algos upon block completion, which would be nice.

Right now I just use MPM with Nicehash and up-to-date mining software that runs faster than the official software does. The nice thing about Nicehash is you get paid immediately per share, no penalty for aggressively switching.

Also my Radeon 7870 Tahiti is running at 97*C ever since I upgraded to the Blockchain drivers. Probably fine.
..at least it raised my Eth2gb rate from 13 to 16mh/s

Yeah I did the autoswitching on MPH for like 3 days before I realized it isn't helping anything. Now I just switch to mine whichever currency has stayed in the top 5 for 24hours+. I've been on zclassic for like a week and half or so. I still like MPH because the fees are low and I can autoexchange for ETH and send it directly to my Gemini account to cash out with very low fees.

In total I pay 3.65% fees for Dev fee, pool fee, autoexchange fee, and final fee to sell eth to usd which isn't bad. Also, I don't trust nicehash.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE
You can get MPH to autoswitch for you with their very poorly documented hub feature, I think. As far as I can tell you just set up a .bat with a loop of a bunch of miner commandlines all set to not retry on network failure and then when the hub decides it's time to switch algorithm, it closes the connection, the miner you have runner exits and goes on to the next algorithm in the list. I think? Should theoretically be better than client-side profitability detection, I guess, but you won't get any readouts on profitability at all.

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!
If you have Nvidia cards and Nicehash be sure to enable Nist5 which is disabled by default for some reason, it's been really profitable lately.

Spatial
Nov 15, 2007

Alpha Mayo posted:

Probably fine.
Constant high temperature operation significantly reduces expected hardware lifetime

e: A bit of trivia: This is part of how the MBTF is established. Silicon wearout is accelerated by temperature by a known amount which allows you to extrapolate the failure rate at a lower temperature, but in drastically less time, so you don't have to wait for years to release a product

Spatial fucked around with this message at 20:19 on Jan 13, 2018

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo
I don't know if there's an option like it for AMD, but I thoroughly enjoy Nvida's temperature throttling. Slows the card down as the heatsink gets more clogged with dust and never lets temperatures get over whatever you want. In my case it's 74C, clean my 1080 will do 2050 and 56C, dusty it slows down to 1850 to maintain sub 74C temps. No runaway to 90C as it holds 2050 full of dust or needing to watch it super carefully in case it might get hot.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Spatial posted:

Constant high temperature operation significantly reduces expected hardware lifetime

If you're running modern cards at "high temperature" while mining, you're Doing It Wrong. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen with idiots who try to shove 4 cards into a tiny case with no ventilation, but generally mining isn't going to be pegging your cards in the 80-90C range.

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

DrDork posted:

If you're running modern cards at "high temperature" while mining, you're Doing It Wrong. Which isn't to say it doesn't happen with idiots who try to shove 4 cards into a tiny case with no ventilation, but generally mining isn't going to be pegging your cards in the 80-90C range.

Alpha Mayo's cards are apparently doing that. Fix your poo poo, Alpha Mayo

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

Spatial posted:

e: A bit of trivia: This is part of how the MBTF is established. Silicon wearout is accelerated by temperature by a known amount which allows you to extrapolate the failure rate at a lower temperature, but in drastically less time, so you don't have to wait for years to release a product

I got the card over 5 years ago, it has always ran very hot (poor cooler and is essentially a 7950 on power usage since it is a Tahiti core, it's not a 7870 Pitcairn). Last month, before I ever mined at all with it, I started getting artifacts in a couple games. At this point I don't care if it dies mining.

I agree 97C is way too hot. Anyway I took it apart, cleaned it and replaced the old thermal goo with AS5. Lowered the temps about 8C doing that. Never knew the stock heatsink was so easy to remove or I would have gone that a long time ago. I also disabled the Dual Eth/Lbry algo which was the most intensive, and now run Equihash which is around 78C. Getting 180sols/s which is about $70-80/month profit, not bad considering I paid $180 for the card in 2012.

Alpha Mayo fucked around with this message at 03:42 on Jan 14, 2018

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Alpha Mayo posted:

I got the card over 5 years ago, it has always ran very hot (poor cooler and is essentially a 7950 on power usage since it is a Tahiti core, it's not a 7870 Pitcairn). Last month, before I ever mined at all with it, I started getting artifacts in a couple games. At this point I don't care if it dies mining.

I agree 97C is way too hot. Anyway I took it apart, cleaned it and replaced the old thermal goo with AS5. Lowered the temps about 8C doing that. Never knew the stock heatsink was so easy to remove or I would have gone that a long time ago. I also disabled the Dual Eth/Lbry algo which was the most intensive, and now run Equihash which is around 78C. Getting 180sols/s which is about $70-80/month profit, not bad considering I paid $180 for the card in 2012.

I hate myself for understanding every word in this post

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Alpha Mayo posted:

Zip tie a spare 120 to the thing it will run cool

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I hate myself for understanding every word in this post

The only embarrassing part is understanding the last two sentences. The rest is just good hardware maintenance.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

DrDork posted:

The only embarrassing part is understanding the last two sentences. The rest is just good hardware maintenance.

Ok Dr. Dork 🙄

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
Looks like Nicehash raised the free withdrawal to 0.002. Not surprising or a high limit but just some thread FYI. Effectively doubles my Nicehash to Coinbase withdrawal frequency due to when Nicehash deposits are made and so forth.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

quote:

Payments to external wallets for balances greater than 0.01 BTC are in process!

Does this mean the end of the Wallet Dance?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Is Nicehash ok to use again now? I tried it once with just CPU mining, earning like 30 cents, shortly before the incident. Just now I got a 1070 that I could put to use now though.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Craptacular! posted:

Does this mean the end of the Wallet Dance?

Not really. The minimum amount you can withdraw to an external wallet is still ~$135 with a 5% fee tacked on, and has been that way for a bit.

The bigger issue is when you get paid by Nicehash in the first place: if you get paid to their internal wallet, you get paid every ~$13. If you're trying to get paid to an external wallet, you get paid every ~$1350, or every ~$135 "as conditions allow," aka "whenever the gently caress we feel like it."

So unless you've got a serious mining operation going that can expect to hit that $1350 mark in a reasonable amount of time, the sane bet for now is to still mine to an internal Nicehash wallet and then sweep it out to Coinbase every ~$27, and from there either move it to an external wallet or convert it to USD.

It basically changes nothing. They're just saying that the "whenever the gently caress we feel like it" happens to be today. When the next iteration of it will be is entirely unknown, but if it's taken them this long after re-launch to get here, my expectation would be that it'll be a good while again.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Is Nicehash ok to use again now? I tried it once with just CPU mining, earning like 30 cents, shortly before the incident. Just now I got a 1070 that I could put to use now though.

Ish. There are other options you should at least consider, though.

DrDork posted:

Winminer is the easiest way to get USD, as it spits it out directly to PayPal or Amazon giftcards. It does take a substantial cut for this convenience, though. Their website has basic performance tracking and monitoring. This is overall the easiest but least profitable option.

Nicehash pays more, but forces you to take your pay as BTC on an internal (read: insecure) wallet. With a 1080Ti you can probably sweep that out to Coinbase every few days, but that is also an internal wallet. Thankfully for those in the US, you can easily sell BTC on Coinbase for a nominal fee and have it deposited to your bank account. Their website has basic performance tracking and monitoring. They got "hacked" recently and had everyone's money stolen, so there's that. This option has higher profit potential and reasonably easy transit to USD, but also a record of losing your money.

MiningPoolHub pays on par with Nicehash, and effectively pays you out in whatever buttcoin you want, but again to an internal (read: insecure) wallet. You have to transfer it elsewhere (at a lower fee than many other places) if you want to sell it. Their website has minimal to no performance tracking or monitoring. Unlike the other two, you need to use a 3rd party tool (like AwesomeMiner) to actually do the mining, making it slightly more complex to get started with. This option has profit potential tied with Nicehash, without the recent security/theft issue, but it takes a bit more effort to turn into USD, though the ability to be paid in something other than BTC is real nice if you actually want to hold coins in your own wallet somewhere.

Other considerations: Nicehash's 2.x client does not respect any --intensity flags, so it will happily eat 100% of your resources when running, making your computer largely unresponsive. Winminer, MPH, and Nicehash 1.8.x do not do this, and are generally better choices if you want to still use your computer while mining, vs running a dedicated box.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
I just downloaded Nicehash legacy in part because our boiler is out at the moment and this might warm up my freezing room a bit.

As well as enabling Nist5, should I enable the 'NVidia P0 State' option in settings?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

El Grillo posted:

As well as enabling Nist5, should I enable the 'NVidia P0 State' option in settings?

At current there is no known way to force P0 on Pascal (10xx series) cards. Might help if you're running Maxwell (9xx), but I don't have one to test with.

One thing that can help is enabling only the ccminer-alexa version of Nist5. That version typically runs somewhat faster on Pascal than the generic ccminer. I went from ~134 MH/s to ~145MH/s on a 1080+1080Ti by making that switch.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe
^^great, thanks for the tips!

Setset
Apr 14, 2012
Grimey Drawer
is it generally wise to use a VPN while mining?

Alpha Mayo
Jan 15, 2007
hi how are you?
you're welcome
pay it forward~

DrDork posted:

At current there is no known way to force P0 on Pascal (10xx series) cards. Might help if you're running Maxwell (9xx), but I don't have one to test with.

One thing that can help is enabling only the ccminer-alexa version of Nist5. That version typically runs somewhat faster on Pascal than the generic ccminer. I went from ~134 MH/s to ~145MH/s on a 1080+1080Ti by making that switch.

You can force Cuda P0 on Pascal with nVidia Profile Inspector (disable Force Cuda P2 State with it).

ccminer-Alexa is fastest Nist5 I think, and cc-Klaust is fastest Neoscrypt for me. Also BMiner is fastest equihash for nvidia now, I am getting 340sol/s on an overclocked Hynix GTX 1060 6GB.

Nist5, Neoscrypt, Equihash and Sib (aka X11-Gost) are the most profitable nVidia algorithms for Pascal. If you have Samsung memory, Eth is good too.

It's worth it to set up MPM to work with Nicehash, Excavator sucks with a few algos. If you know any Powerscript it is really easy to modify the .PS1 files to adjust intensity too.

Also this is the worst, most shameful post I have ever made.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

craig588
Nov 19, 2005

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lube banjo posted:

is it generally wise to use a VPN while mining?
If you already have a VPN mining uses a trivial amount of bandwidth and I'd run it through there just to keep your traffic more obfuscated. If you don't already have a VPN I wouldn't buy one, there's nothing inherently illegal or dangerous about mining short of running closed source 3rd party software that you'd have to run through a VPN anyways.

Alpha Mayo posted:

You can force Cuda P0 on Pascal with nVidia Profile Inspector (disable Force Cuda P2 State with it).
This functionality comes and goes depending on your hardware and driver version. It seems like a low priority thing that isn't officially supported.

Tried disabling it on my 1080 with 390 drivers on Windows 10 X64, not working with that configuration. It definitely does work with some older drivers but I'd never run older drivers just for mining.
Edit: Nope, I forgot what I was looking at, it is indeed working with that configuration now. Got me like 10% more, thanks.

craig588 fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Jan 15, 2018

• Locked thread