Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG
Well I've tried it over and over again and I can't say I'm a fan of Arizona Sunshine.

The gun tracking is awful, for one, so I can't hit poo poo from afar without wasting entire clips, meaning zombies have to get close, meaning I get hit and die a lot. Then they throw zombies with helmets and poo poo in so you have to waste the entire clip on torso shots. Yay, that's fun, I guess?

So aside from the entire point of the game being a dodgy at best experience, the actual gameplay isn't very substantial. You just teleport around and shoot zombies. Yay I guess.

I thought I'd be excited for VR zombie killing but it turns out putting VR into a boring overdone concept doesn't magically make it interesting or fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Protocol7 posted:

Well I've tried it over and over again and I can't say I'm a fan of Arizona Sunshine.

The gun tracking is awful, for one, so I can't hit poo poo from afar without wasting entire clips, meaning zombies have to get close, meaning I get hit and die a lot. Then they throw zombies with helmets and poo poo in so you have to waste the entire clip on torso shots. Yay, that's fun, I guess?

So aside from the entire point of the game being a dodgy at best experience, the actual gameplay isn't very substantial. You just teleport around and shoot zombies. Yay I guess.

I thought I'd be excited for VR zombie killing but it turns out putting VR into a boring overdone concept doesn't magically make it interesting or fun.

Counterpoint, I just bought this at Christmas time and I really liked it. I finished it last night and the ending was kind of abrupt. I haven't noticed any bad gun tracking, head shots seem to be easy enough to get, and once you get some more weapons you can use the rapid fire ones on the rushing ones with helmets to quickly kill them with your off hand while you have your main gun in your dominant hand.

Also there's free locomotion.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Protocol7 posted:

I did not exp this at all and found the guns to be insanely accurate. Felt like shooting a gun in any of the other "sim" games to me (as far as pointing down irons etc)

If it was that bad, horde mode would be impossible.

GutBomb posted:

Counterpoint, I just bought this at Christmas time and I really liked it. I finished it last night and the ending was kind of abrupt. I haven't noticed any bad gun tracking, head shots seem to be easy enough to get, and once you get some more weapons you can use the rapid fire ones on the rushing ones with helmets to quickly kill them with your off hand while you have your main gun in your dominant hand.

Also there's free locomotion.

Games fun as poo poo, Just needed to have a longer story mode to be honest.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

EbolaIvory posted:

I did not exp this at all and found the guns to be insanely accurate. Felt like shooting a gun in any of the other "sim" games to me (as far as pointing down irons etc)

See I couldn't get ironsights to hit poo poo, but I have no problems with that in H3VR and Raw Data. I had to basically rely on the laser pointers, and when I could actually see them they bounced around like I had Parkinsons or something.

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 01:01 on Jan 13, 2018

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Protocol7 posted:

I didn't use teleporting, I used free movement, and I kept the original pistol with the glow sights for a long rear end time until I found another pistol with sights and a larger magazine. Using the sights lets you actually hit headshots on distant targets, and your other hand can have whatever weapon with a larger clip size to spray into anyone that gets close.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.
Starting up a VR Arcade and I haven't had a whole ton of money to research games yet; what games have y'all found were worth your time and money so far on the Vive?

Trying to get my boss to sign off on doing Oculus games on the Vive through converters/wrappers also - their concern is that they're not reliable/official enough. What's the state of the platform crossover scene? Last I checked it out it seemed pretty stable and most titles worked; I'm hoping it's only improved since then.

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?

Firgof posted:

Starting up a VR Arcade and I haven't had a whole ton of money to research games yet; what games have y'all found were worth your time and money so far on the Vive?

Trying to get my boss to sign off on doing Oculus games on the Vive through converters/wrappers also - their concern is that they're not reliable/official enough. What's the state of the platform crossover scene? Last I checked it out it seemed pretty stable and most titles worked; I'm hoping it's only improved since then.

I'm pretty sure it's against the software licence agreements to use the wrappers so I'd be wary about having those games available commercially. Even for the non-wrapped games you might need special license agreements for each game, most EULAs for games prohibit public exhibition and commercial uses.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

GutBomb posted:

I'm pretty sure it's against the software licence agreements so I'd be wary about having those games available commercially.

Dang it. Yeah, that's probably correct and likely how it is now that I think about it. Man, an official 'crosstalk' software can't come fast enough even though there's no real financial incentive for either Vive or Rift to go after it right now.

quote:

Even for the non-wrapped games you might need special license agreements for each game, most EULAs for games prohibit public exhibition and commercial uses.

Yar, we're being careful about that. If a game isn't available through the special monthly commercial licensing agreement Steam offers we'll be looking at negotiating individual contracts to get the rights to offer them. There's already been a few titles we've decided we want to put in our space that weren't opted-in to the commercial licensing; we'll have to personally reach out and get a license worked out for titles like them.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Jan 13, 2018

DrBox
Jul 3, 2004

Sombody call the doctor?

Protocol7 posted:

See I couldn't get ironsights to hit poo poo, but I have no problems with that in H3VR and Raw Data. I had to basically rely on the laser pointers, and when I could actually see them they bounced around like I had Parkinsons or something.

Your dominant eye might be different than the main rendering eye. I had serious issues with aiming in Pavlov until I swapped to left eye rendering or whatever that option is called.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

DrBox posted:

Your dominant eye might be different than the main rendering eye. I had serious issues with aiming in Pavlov until I swapped to left eye rendering or whatever that option is called.

Nah, I'm a righty through and through. In everything except actual handwriting. I've been through professional trap shooting training and found out then my right eye is dominant. But still might be an option worth exploring.

I went to go pick up the game again just to give it another shot, but then my save file was gone. :smith:

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Protocol7 posted:

I thought the guns were fairly precise when i found out that you have to line the zombies heads up slightly above the ironsights. Apparently this has a name or something with gun nuts, but yeah, the bullets go slightly above the ironsights.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Dongattack posted:

I thought the guns were fairly precise when i found out that you have to line the zombies heads up slightly above the ironsights. Apparently this has a name or something with gun nuts, but yeah, the bullets go slightly above the ironsights.

That explains a lot. Here I thought I was just a horrible shot when I was missing even when I used the ironsights and tried to compensate for bullet drop. Thanks for the tip!

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Arizona Sunshine is what I'd call a pretty solid 7, in my opinion. It's in a weird place where there's clearly a budget limiting it but it's still fairly polished, the reloading/grenade mechanics are fairly intuitive but don't feel massively satisfying and while the shooting feels pretty good, the map design and arenas in which you're expected to fight are wildly varying in quality. Exploring the mines with a torch feels awesome but the swarm moments in there are hot garbage. I think the thing that really crippled it for me is that there's loads of objects to pick up and examine and pretty much no reason to do it - there's no extra plot to learn of, nothing interesting about the props that repeat themselves throughout the game and no files or documents to read.

It has so much of what you'd hope to see in most major releases: Genuinely fun and interesting interactions like scrabbling through cupboards to find ammo, cracking doors open inch by inch to peek inside, noshing steak to refill health, a fairly satisfying sniper section, popping car doors open, cranking valves and so on, but the world of Arizona Sunshine is like dry toast. It's practical but not exciting and could be improved with even the slightest effort. I do like the game, but it's not one I can recommend outright unless it's on sale. I'll revisit it when they add two handed weapons but I hope the devs really nail what they've learned the next time round if they revisit the series.

Ralith
Jan 12, 2011

I see a ship in the harbor
I can and shall obey
But if it wasn't for your misfortune
I'd be a heavenly person today

DrBox posted:

"the main rendering eye" isn't a thing. You may be thinking of the setting controlling which eye gets copied onto the desktop mirror, which has precisely zero effect on in-game perspective.

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Firgof posted:

That explains a lot. Here I thought I was just a horrible shot when I was missing even when I used the ironsights and tried to compensate for bullet drop. Thanks for the tip!

Np! It's still one of the "old" VR titles with not that much depth to it, but hopefully you'll eek out some pleasure from it now.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Dongattack posted:

Np! It's still one of the "old" VR titles with not that much depth to it, but hopefully you'll eek out some pleasure from it now.

I've been told Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades is a step up from it. Any other games y'all think are superior to AZ that I should give a whirl?

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!

Dongattack posted:

You mean 6 o'clock hold?

Dongattack
Dec 20, 2006

by Cyrano4747

Seashell Salesman posted:

You mean 6 o'clock hold?

I have no idea, I've never even seen a gun.

Firgof posted:

I've been told Hotdogs, Horseshoes, and Handgrenades is a step up from it. Any other games y'all think are superior to AZ that I should give a whirl?

Shooting games? If so i have no recommendations. But if you're looking for all kinds of games i will never stop recommending Lone Echo. Engaging story, nice visuals, solid gameplay and the VR interactivity is the best i have come across so far. It's puzzles and exploration tho, no shooting, but there is a fair bit of action and tension.

Firgof
Dec 27, 2009

The Librarian is pure.
Former Star Ruler 2 Dev.

Dongattack posted:

I have no idea, I've never even seen a gun.

Shooting games? If so i have no recommendations. But if you're looking for all kinds of games i will never stop recommending Lone Echo. Engaging story, nice visuals, solid gameplay and the VR interactivity is the best i have come across so far. It's puzzles and exploration tho, no shooting, but there is a fair bit of action and tension.

Ah, sorry, of all sorts and genres. If you like it, I wanna hear about it. e: And by 'you' I mean 'any goon reading this' but also you.

Firgof fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 13, 2018

Thor-Stryker
Nov 11, 2005

Seashell Salesman posted:

You mean 6 o'clock hold?

Unless he's talking about long rifles which are designed to have a parabolic arc, bullet rises as it leaves the barrel and lands near the zeroed sight.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Firgof posted:

Ah, sorry, of all sorts and genres. If you like it, I wanna hear about it. e: And by 'you' I mean 'any goon reading this' but also you.

Echo Arena is the free multiplayer (as in, you don't need Lone Echo to play at all) component to Lone Echo, and it's the best VR thing right now

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011
Tried out Windlands 2 and Brass Tactics (RTS) at the Oculus booth at Pax South. I really liked Brass Tactics' aestetic, kind of a Game of Thrones intro feel to the little buildings and minions. The level I played was really hand holdy so not challenging but I could imagine it getting intense as you fly around the game board managing troops and resources. Also got a really sweet collectors pin.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I'm really excited for Brass Tactics.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

PerrineClostermann posted:

I'm really excited for Brass Tactics.

https://www.oculus.com/blog/brass-tactics-pre-orders-open-now-plus-announcing-free-to-play-early-access-with-brass-tactics-arena/

Save $15 if you preorder, and there'll be a free to play version that is one map but will give you access to more or less the full multiplayer, barring cosmetics stuff and customizations. Looks like a really smart way to do it to guarantee there will be some sort of population.

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

jubjub64 posted:

Tried out Windlands 2

Did they change the directional controls? I really enjoyed windlands, but wasn't a fan of the "look to turn" BS they threw in for early Gear VR.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Rez Infinite works on the Vive, I know, but does it use the wands in standing, or KB+M in seating? (Or either/or?)

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ciaphas posted:

Rez Infinite works on the Vive, I know, but does it use the wands in standing, or KB+M in seating? (Or either/or?)
idk if it has kb/m support, but there aren't explicit standing/sitting modes, you can use hand controllers or gamepad either way

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

homeless snail posted:

idk if it has kb/m support, but there aren't explicit standing/sitting modes, you can use hand controllers or gamepad either way

There is one mode where you'll be turning around and stuff and I imagine standing makes that easier

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

A spinny chair or a beanbag works just as well tbh. That's definitely the mode to play it in though, most impactful

I've played it every possible way and I think playing it in a beanbag chair might be my favorite

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Firgof posted:

Dang it. Yeah, that's probably correct and likely how it is now that I think about it. Man, an official 'crosstalk' software can't come fast enough even though there's no real financial incentive for either Vive or Rift to go after it right now.

Considering that people might be more inclined to invest in VR hardware if the available games weren't arbitrarily split up, there could very well be a financial incentive for cross-compatibility.

Though there you're talking about prioritizing long-term stability over short-term sales, so...

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Firgof posted:

For a VR Arcade, Audioshield, Space Pirate Trainer and Gorn are the top three. Soundboxing is better for home use than Audioshield, but Audioshield will cater to everyone. Space Pirate Trainer and Gorn are pure joy though. House of the Dying Sun is also a good seated arcade experience.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Gah, I've only just learned that the Vive mic doesn't work with the TPCast. Will flashing OpenTPCast or whatever I have to do (pay $25 apparently :mad:) get that going or do I own an effective $300 brick since I'm not exchanging the cable setup every time I change what game I want to play?

Helter Skelter
Feb 10, 2004

BEARD OF HAVOC

I'm pretty sure the two biggest reasons for using OpenTPCast to begin with are mic support and not having to use the included router.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

Raskolnikov2089 posted:

Did they change the directional controls? I really enjoyed windlands, but wasn't a fan of the "look to turn" BS they threw in for early Gear VR.

It had rotational controls like snap 15 degrees to the left or right if that is what you mean.

DisposableHero
Feb 25, 2005
bah weep granna weep ninny bong

Ciaphas posted:

Gah, I've only just learned that the Vive mic doesn't work with the TPCast. Will flashing OpenTPCast or whatever I have to do (pay $25 apparently :mad:) get that going or do I own an effective $300 brick since I'm not exchanging the cable setup every time I change what game I want to play?

I personally just use a wireless headset for communication on the rare occasions where I get the chance for VR multiplayer.

Seashell Salesman
Aug 4, 2005

Holy wow! That "Literally A Person" sure is a cool and good poster. He's smart and witty and he smells like a pure mountain stream. I posted in his thread and I got a FANCY NEW AVATAR!!!!
Not sure if this info will help anyone but I was wondering this myself until just now. The machine that I'm using for VR I built 5 years ago, and even then I went a bit cheap on RAM and put 8gb of ddr3 1333mhz. I wanted to just limp along with this machine for a bit longer, so I bought a 1080 and chucked it in there when I bought a Rift.

Well, most types of VR experience run just fine despite the 3rd gen i5 and small slow memory. A few games like Sairento I just couldn't get decent FPS even with settings turned all the way down. I can't really upgrade the processor in this machine because of mobo compatibility, of course, but I thought maybe putting some faster RAM, and doubling the size, might mitigate some problems until I properly upgrade.

Well, modulo some annoyances with getting my old motherboard to run the new RAM at it's manufacturer's frequency, it seems to have done the trick. Sairento now runs at highest settings with just shadows turned down. So for anyone trying to keep their old machine on life support I think this is actually worth trying, even with RAM seemingly being way overpriced at the moment.

EbolaIvory
Jul 6, 2007

NOM NOM NOM

Ciaphas posted:

Pickup a wireless headset of some sort and be happy. Corsair RGB Void Pro is the current recommend from me. 79.99 - 99.99 from amazon depending on color and I get hella hours on it battery wise. 20+ easy.

People will thank you anyways.And you'll super duper enjoy having it.

Unless you're weird. I know like 1 guy who didnt like it. Hes weird (its saq).

http://amzn.to/2AVO60J

Currently 79.99 for white. 99.99 For carbon.

Firgof posted:

Any other games y'all think are superior to AZ that I should give a whirl?

Space Pirate Trainer is kinda something everyone should play a bit of IMO.

I'm super bias, Stand Out gets a lot of hours from me. Its a bit expensive full price though. But its PUBG VR and its the only one that has a player count that isnt hot garbage per round. With the refund policy, Highly recommend grabbing it and giving it a go.

Onward is super good if you wanna get hard on a mil sim. Really good if you're into that.

Gorn may or may not have replay for you. For me, Its something I boot up now and then, But I cant put "hours" into it. Not because its tiring or anything but just because it gets boring to me. I have friends who just cant get enough. Its a good game though. Def need in your library.

Accounting, Is free and a good little short fun time. Puzzle game. Again don't wanna spoil anything.

I really enjoyed Duck Season, Paid full price, No regrats. I don't wanna spoil much but its pretty much just Duck hunt VR with a story.

Eleven: Table Tennis if you wanna do table tennis. I have very few hours but it really does feel like playing table tennis. And im exactly as poo poo in real life too, its amazing.

Blasters of the Universe is fun. Its a bullet hell shooter game kinda like space pirate trainer.

Belko VR: An Escape Room Experiment is loving amazing for a free promo thing. For real. Grabs it.

Serious Sam 1, 2, 3 are all good fun. Highly recommend just shooting through at least one of those.

ZomDay, Is basically killing floor 2 VR. Its just really early access. Its got a whole 3 maps and its pretty recently translated from Chinese to English. But the gameplay is super solid and a lot of fun. So when its on sale, Easy but. Full price? Ehhhhhh if you really wanna grind a level system and poo poo, its there. So really, Like, Its pretty featured. Just, 3 maps. It also somehow does not have Voice Com for MP. So you'll get people drop in and cant talk. Very weird.

Star Shelter has been real neat so far. Its hard as gently caress but its really cool. Space survival game.

Thats what I can think of off the top of my head. Theres a heap of great games though.

EbolaIvory fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Jan 13, 2018

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

It was a risk, buying a VirtualHere key for OpenTPCast to work, but by god it did. Improved overall performance, latency and signal loss problems I was having too, enough that I felt good about finally trying out Echo Arena. Playing online, too.

Uh holy poo poo that's an experience :stare:

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

Like, if it weren't for the learning cliff I'd present that to friends as The VR Thing. Holy moly that was fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Ciaphas posted:

Like, if it weren't for the learning cliff I'd present that to friends as The VR Thing. Holy moly that was fun.

That's what I've been saying!!!!!