Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

Alhazred fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 12, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

I, um... yes?

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Quorum posted:

In particular, they don't actually show the #woke guy doing anything
That's the point of the comic, you're welcome.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Quorum posted:

They failed to get that across, relying on the fact that their intended audience would already agree with them to fill in the gaps. In particular, they don't actually show the #woke guy doing anything heinous that would reveal him as a hypocrite, and instead have a totally different guy act like a lech. It's not a good cartoon, even if its intended message is good. :colbert:

It's not suggesting that all woke guys are hypocrites. It's saying that the "woke" guy is a hypocrite because he's only paying lip service to supporting the movement. If he wasn't using Lip Service, he wouldn't be a hypocrite - or in the cartoon.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

What's more surprising is that All Lives Matter is somehow a good thing to pay lip service to??

Cat Mattress
Jul 14, 2012

by Cyrano4747

Quorum posted:

I, um... yes?

That's not what Fox News is doing.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Quorum posted:

This cartoon is very angry about people only vocally supporting causes, I guess?

ftfy

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!

Are his lungs full of bats or something?

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Quorum posted:

They failed to get that across, relying on the fact that their intended audience would already agree with them to fill in the gaps. In particular, they don't actually show the #woke guy doing anything heinous that would reveal him as a hypocrite, and instead have a totally different guy act like a lech. It's not a good cartoon, even if its intended message is good. :colbert:

The comic is about a guy who just wants to use a product literally called Lip Service. They got it across, you just bricked in your reading.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Jan 12, 2018

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The comic is about a guy who just wants to use a product literally called Lip Service. They got it across, you just bricked in your reading.

Meh. I get what they were going for. I just prefer more showing than telling in this, a visual medium, but I guess it's no worse than your average First Dog.

like, you guys don't think I literally didn't understand the comic, right? I want to be sure here

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Quorum posted:

Meh. I get what they were going for. I just prefer more showing than telling in this, a visual medium, but I guess it's no worse than your average First Dog.

The second panel straight up says "Want to look like you support a thing but not actually do anything?" You just misread it to get made at someone making fun of Dude Allies.

Which is pretty funny because it's kind of the point the comic is making.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

The second panel straight up says "Want to look like you support a thing but not actually do anything?" You just misread it to get made at someone making fun of Dude Allies.

Which is pretty funny because it's kind of the point the comic is making.

I agree with the point the comic is trying to make, my dude. Don't misconstrue me making fun of a comic I think is mediocre as trying to whine about my feels

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Fathis Munk posted:

36 states report widespread flu during flu season? The thing that happens every single year around this time in the northern hemisphere? I'll be damned!

At least it's not "If vaccines then why flues?".

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

Quorum posted:

like, you guys don't think I literally didn't understand the comic, right? I want to be sure here

Pretty much.

Quorum posted:

This cartoon is very angry about people vocally supporting causes, I guess?

sheep-dodger posted:

What's more surprising is that All Lives Matter is somehow a good thing to pay lip service to??

It's showing performative wokeness as being on the same level as it, in other words, worthless bullshit that only serves to, well, do exactly what it says in that panel.

ryonguy fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Jan 12, 2018

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

And Darrin ends up sending the same message as half the conservative cartoonists on this thread.

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

I'm sorry, I'm usually better at inserting context explanatory emotes :v:

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I think you’re AGCing it. It comes off to me as someone complaining about “virtue signaling” without saying virtue signaling. Maybe im ABCi g it?

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Selachian posted:

And Darrin ends up sending the same message as half the conservative cartoonists on this thread.

he's right though

like, we don't have to let ourselves get reverse-psychology'd here

"the cons say Oprah would make a bad president? Well I say she'd make a good president, take that teabaggers :smug:"

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

Ambitious Spider posted:

I think you’re AGCing it. It comes off to me as someone complaining about “virtue signaling” without saying virtue signaling. Maybe im ABCi g it?

They basically are, except that the phrase virtue signaling has stopped being about performative wokeness and is now about advocating for good, just things on the internet. Shame none of the replacement phrases have the same snappiness.

duz
Jul 11, 2005

Come on Ilhan, lets go bag us a shitpost

loquacius posted:

he's right though

like, we don't have to let ourselves get reverse-psychology'd here

"the cons say Oprah would make a bad president? Well I say she'd make a good president, take that teabaggers :smug:"

Is anyone who isn't media actually saying Oprah should run though?

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

duz posted:

It's not like the media is saying it either, its mostly reports about how its possible she might run, here is an editorial about why that's bad.

Sandpuppy
Jun 16, 2012

Social Abscess
of the
Universe
Time for shithole toons! This time, about shitholes!

"the nominees goes to.."

Somfin
Oct 25, 2010

In my🦚 experience🛠️ the big things🌑 don't teach you anything🤷‍♀️.

Nap Ghost

duz posted:

If every Democrat isn't calling for Oprah to run then why do I keep insisting they are?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
So seeing how it’s mid January and the temperatures here in New England have violently shifted from blizzards and sub zero to nearing 70 the regulars who use coldness as an example of global warming not being real will surely now admit climate change is really because it’s now warm out right?

duz posted:

It’s not even the media saying Oprah should run outside of a few people saying it. However she gave a speech about woman no longer being quiet about sexual harassment so in right wingers minds this means she is against them and planning on running. I can only imagine the mental gymnastics to not have a “are we the baddies?” moment when you find yourself thinking someone saying sexual harassment is bad is an attack on you

Dr. VooDoo fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Jan 12, 2018

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

lol

Words, like, mean stuff, Branco.

Luxury Tent Carpet
Feb 13, 2005

I hunted the Orphan of Kos and all I got was this stupid t-shirt

Why is he cutting off that birds dick?

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

This private company doing what it wants with its privately owned property is exactly like communism - An idiot, 2018

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!
I mean, I could definitely give examples of people I know who want Oprah to run for President now, but anecdotal evidence would rightfully not please anyone anyway so v:v:v

"Oprah running for President is a right-wing lie" is an acceptable place for the discourse to be in my estimation anyway

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Luxury Tent Carpet posted:

Why is he cutting off that birds dick?

That bird has enough dick.

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 5 hours!

Sandpuppy posted:

Time for shithole toons! This time, about shitholes!

Matt Bors sees your complete lack of subtlety, and raises you a blank background

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Steve Bell on Nigel Farage's call for second Brexit vote – Nigel Farage’s surprise call for a second EU referendum has ignited hopes that both sides of the debate will back a poll on Theresa May’s final deal"

Telegraph:

Theresa May defends 'long-term' plastic waste plan

Independent:

Times:

Evening Standard:

Donald Trump cancels London visit amid protest fears; Trump denies 'shithole countries' remark but senator asserts he said it

Mail:
Mac on... Plastic wastage in the UK

:eyepop:

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Branco's a twitter nazi, lol

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

D.N. Nation posted:

lol

Words, like, mean stuff, Branco.
He would have used a swastika, but then his readers would have thought he supported it.

sheep-dodger
Feb 21, 2013

ryonguy posted:

It's showing performative wokeness as being on the same level as it, in other words, worthless bullshit that only serves to, well, do exactly what it says in that panel.
I get what the comic is saying, but wouldn't the equivalent of performative wokeness to #metoo etc be to say Black Lives Matter instead of All Lives Matter? Since the latter is the reactionary brokebrain take on the former thinking that they're exclusionary.

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Funny, coming from a right-wing hack, when Twitter just the other day banned Lucien Greaves and the Satanic Temple for reporting a tweet that called for their headquarters to be burnt to the ground.

Ziv Zulander
Mar 24, 2017

ZZ for short

loquacius posted:

I know about this because of SA: there is (supposedly) a fetish wherein people try to get HIV on purpose, for fetish reasons

I don't think it's really a "thing" IRL and certainly not worth getting your culture-warrior undies in a knot over

From a few pages ago, but bug chasers are what happens when somebody was repeatedly told as a child how disgusting and disease-ridden gay people all are. Then, when they grow up and realize they're attracted to the same gender, they tend to have some weird ideas about what it means to be gay.

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Cloud Potato posted:

Mail:
Mac on... Plastic wastage in the UK

:eyepop:

Also, the Daily Mail is loving pissed right now. Virgin Trains recently publicly declared that they would no longer sell the Daily Mail on their trains because it's a loving rag that goes against any reasonable person's values. Okay not exactly as they phrased it, but the Mail quickly had every other media outlet arguing whether or not a company deciding not to sell a product was a form of censorship.

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

loving lmao, Branco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ryonguy
Jun 27, 2013

the_steve posted:

Funny, coming from a right-wing hack, when Twitter just the other day banned Lucien Greaves and the Satanic Temple for reporting a tweet that called for their headquarters to be burnt to the ground.

Something that tells me a significant portion of Twitters workforce in a position to create and enforce policy are the same as that dudebro who got fired from Google. There have been far, far too many "accidents" that point squarely at that.